Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
as I recall they did. on a team that spent double what many other teams in the league spent on player salaries, that frequently reached: the conference semi-finals.
All the Leafs need now is a couple of core players that play a harder game.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
people said Sundin didn't play hard or care enough, they were dumb and wrong, obviously
Your comparing Marner to 6'5 230lb #1 overall center, playing in the clutch and grab era? Put up 94 pim one year. Playing with the likes of Jonas Hogund, Renberg, Thomas 32+ year old Mogilny and 34+ year old Roberts or36-yearr old Thomas?

Sundin made a living on the cycle carrying opponents on his back and around the front of the net.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
yeah he was incredible, absolute legend. and he never won a cup or made a finals. which means, what? that it was not possible to win a cup with Sundin as your best player?

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
yeah he was incredible, absolute legend. and he never won a cup or made a finals. which means, what? that it was not possible to win a cup with Sundin as your best player?

It means it's hard to win SC, even with players suited for playoffs.

What are the odds of winning with Mitch as our best player?
Not that I think he is anywhere close to Matthews.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I can't see Marner asking for 13 mil.
Can’t see Marner not wanting to be the highest paid winger in the league.
Right now it’s Panarin at 11.6
So Marner 12 and Matthews 13.
Then everyone can say what a great team friendly deal they took for us because it’s not 15 and 13. Add Nylander at 10 and win me some rounds.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
this is a shift from the mid-thread consensus which was if they haven't won in 7 years it is proof they won't ever win.
I think the case people were making that they won't ever win "with this core". Now I'm not generally a fan of absolutes like "can't" and "won't" but the last 7 years do suggest that they might be on to something. I mean if they roll back the same core with the same coach (we already know it will be the same coach), I'm not saying they "can't win", but I don't like our chances.

Reactions: Racer88

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I think the case people were making that they won't ever win "with this core". Now I'm not generally a fan of absolutes like "can't" and "won't" but the last 7 years do suggest that they might be on to something. I mean if they roll back the same core with the same coach (we already know it will be the same coach), I'm not saying they "can't win", but I don't like our chances.
yeah I get this and I understand people's scepticism, if not their outright hostility, toward this group. I still think they have a better chance than any other Leafs team I've watched in my lifetime, including those Sundin teams. I was 7 in 93 so I don't include that team in the assessment.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
yeah I get this and I understand people's scepticism, if not their outright hostility, toward this group. I still think they have a better chance than any other Leafs team I've watched in my lifetime, including those Sundin teams. I was 7 in 93 so I don't include that team in the assessment.
I started watching around 1970 or so and I'd also say this group has a better chance than any other Leaf team I've seen. I'd also say that that says more about how bad we've been over the last 50+ years than how good this group is and the chances of winning the cup with this core are quite slim.

IMO it's time to try something else and if one core piece is to be moved then Marner would be my first choice.

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
Can’t see Marner not wanting to be the highest paid winger in the league.
Right now it’s Panarin at 11.6
So Marner 12 and Matthews 13.
Then everyone can say what a great team friendly deal they took for us because it’s not 15 and 13. Add Nylander at 10 and win me some rounds.
In reality, his next. contract. should have been around 10-11.0 aav Doobis and shanny really messed up. the first time around. Two inexperienced guys left in charge of a real promising roster and they blew it. It really sucks being a fan and watching all this go down. and I'm still shocked that Shannon wanted to give Dubus an extension.

If Marner has a better season than Matthew. next season again There could be big trouble. and he gets himself traded.

Reactions: ACC1224

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I started watching around 1970 or so and I'd also say this group has a better chance than any other Leaf team I've seen. I'd also say that that says more about how bad we've been over the last 50+ years than how good this group is and the chances of winning the cup with this core are quite slim.

IMO it's time to try something else and if one core piece is to be moved then Marner would be my first choice.
I don’t think they can win with this group.
I think a host of things need to happen to change my view:

1. Is it really about 4 guys or 23? I have a hard time believing the latter.

2. Contracts. Matthews/Marner/Nylander. Are you the highest paid at your positions or are you reasonable cap hits with term? You can’t take advantage of a cap increase if everyone’s salary keeps going up every 4 years. Sure the cap increases but instead of Matthews making 11, he’s making 13 then 15. No.

3. Tavares. We might flounder until he is gone and a “new” core member with different attributes comes on.

4. Change your game. Yzerman had to change. If you keep playing like an All-Star game in the playoffs, the above doesn’t matter and the core fails.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
In reality, his next. contract. should have been around 10-11.0 aav Doobis and shanny really messed up. the first time around. Two inexperienced guys left in charge of a real promising roster and they blew it. It really sucks being a fan and watching all this go down. and I'm still shocked that Shannon wanted to give Dubus an extension.

If Marner has a better season than Matthew. next season again There could be big trouble. and he gets himself traded.
So your saying that marner should have a shitty season so he wont get traded.
What a joke of a post
Marner will out score matthews once again like he always does and get paid for doing so
Its not his fault that our management decided to pay 5 players more than half our cap and will once again do so in the future.

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
So your saying that marner should have a shitty season so he wont get traded.
What a joke of a post
Marner will out score matthews once again like he always does and get paid for doing so
Its not his fault that our management decided to pay 5 players more than half our cap and will once again do so in the future.
What are you going on about bud?

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
What are you going on about bud

If Marner has a better season than Matthew. next season again There could be big trouble. and he gets himself traded
I

Well you are in a marner traded forum and you state that if marner has a better season than matthews there could be big trouble and he gets himself traded.
I take that as in order fir marner not to get traded he has to have a shitty season

Isnt that what you meant or did i read your post wrong

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They all play hard. Some show it and some not. I don’t think we failed because of lack of effort IMHO
The failed because they’re not built to win in the playoffs.
Part of that is the skilled players oftentimes pulled the chute in big moments.
The silly smiles when getting ragged dolled or punched in the face are symptoms of the disease.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad