Votes: 420 67.5%
  • Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
The failed because they’re not built to win in the playoffs.
Part of that is the skilled players oftentimes pulled the chute in big moments.
The silly smiles when getting ragged dolled or punched in the face are symptoms of the disease.
Should be penalties and not symptoms of a disease. But as I mentioned before rules change to promote goons

Now we over payed a goon who can’t skate or play hockey but he sure can fight and do face washes with the best of them. Too bad he will hardly see the ice because he is such a liability

But hey we can all proclaim he has heart and plays hard :)

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I hate to break it to.the fans, but this team with this.core at these salaries simply aren't winning a Cup.

The team was as good as.it could be after.the deadline, minus maybe another winger and they went 5-6 in the playoffs.

This is the reality. The core may help you get into the playoffs. Once war begins and the front of the net is a no-go zone they will go AWOL.

The Leafs sre a corporation now bordering on a government agency. They are not a sports team looking to win Cups.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I hate to break it to.the fans, but this team with this.core at these salaries simply aren't winning a Cup.

The team was as good as.it could be after.the deadline, minus maybe another winger and they went 5-6 in the playoffs.

This is the reality. The cor .may help you get into the playoffs. Once war begins and the front of the net is a no-go zone they will go AWOL.

The Leafs sre a corporation now bordering on a government agency. They are not a sports team looking to win Cups.
Said it before, we are not winning anything until after JT is off the books. Tre has done nothing to change my opinion.

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Can someone please explain to me why Mitch goes out of his way to says he’s not on social media , but then continues to post on Instagram? And it’s 100% him posting, not his “team”.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
If he wants the same money as Matthews again, they can't get rid of him fast enough.

You're not 205 lbs.
You're not a center.
You didn't score 40 goals as a rookie.
You don't have a 60 goal season.
You have a muffin shot, are small, and play wing.

You're not getting Matthews money.
That would be my pitch to him.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Should be penalties and not symptoms of a disease. But as I mentioned before rules change to promote goons

Now we over payed a goon who can’t skate or play hockey but he sure can fight and do face washes with the best of them. Too bad he will hardly see the ice because he is such a liability

But hey we can all proclaim he has heart and plays hard :)
What I’m talking about aren’t penalties in soccer, let alone hockey.

Way too late for Revo, but during the rebuild he provides some entertainment value. Hopefully they‘ll find some good playoff type players and be taken seriously.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
It's a shame Marner should be gone by now.

ROR @ 4.5, Luke Schenn @2.75 Nyquist 3.18 = 10.43

Mitch = 10.9

Reactions: PromisedLand

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

This is the reality. The core may help you get into the playoffs. Once war begins and the front of the net is a no-go zone they will go AWOL.

Yuuuup.

Somehow they keep pulling wool over people’s eyes in blind hope that they will figure it out but it’s been made painfully obvious they never will.

We were honestly lucky to win that series against Tampa. They don’t play playoff hockey and never have/will. The core itself doesn’t seem capable of competing at that level no matter how many “lessons” they’ve learned. This year will just be another painful reminder.

Changes should have been made after the Montreal humiliation. The fact we’re running it back again today is just baffling.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Mitch = 10.9
There 32+ year olds? I'm not a Marmer fan but I don't mind this tradeoff.Ror, Schenn, and Nyquist are gonna drop off sooner or later. I like the moves we made this far.... But if Marner is still staying away from dirty areas... Just put him in the press box. Embarrass him, now that he has his nmc.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
If he wants the same money as Matthews again, they can't get rid of him fast enough.

You're not 205 lbs.
You're not a center.
You didn't score 40 goals as a rookie.
You don't have a 60 goal season.
You have a muffin shot, are small, and play wing.

You're not getting Matthews money.
That would be my pitch to him.
damn that is a VERY good pitch

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Rather have Marner than those 3...especially 5 years from now.

Time for you to pick up a new sport.

You are missing the point on purpose, well played. Marner is not signed for another 5 years so why even bring that up?

You can't have depth and keep overpaying the same core 4.

Unless you are assuming he is re-signing @ 10.9

Thanks and congrats for being a fan for almost a year here on HFBoards :DD

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
You are missing the point on purpose, well played. Marner is not signed for another 5 years so why even bring that up?

You can't have depth and keep overpaying the same core 4.

Unless you are assuming he is re-signing @ 10.9

Thanks and congrats for being a fan for almost a year here on HFBoards :DD
Been here a lot longer than that. If you don't know how to use the internet just say that

You really need to pick up a new sport lmao

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Been here a lot longer than that. If you don't know how to use the internet just say that

You really need to pick up a new sport lmao

You tried to play stupid, and now you are boasting about getting banned? :DD

Anything to avoid reality, good for you !

Once again for slowpokes, you can get several depth players for the price we are paying now for Mitch. Now factor in the raise he'll get.

Reactions: fan87

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
I like Marner and don’t want to trade him Nylander or matthews but what about Marner+Woll+a B Prospect to Philly for Konecny+Hart. We’ll have the cap space to resign Samsonov and then some change still left over

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Much was made of whether the so-called 'Core Four' of Auston Matthews, William Nylander, John Tavares and yourself should be broken up because of perceived postseason failures by the group. It doesn't appear Treliving wants to break up the band, although Auston and William are entering the final year of their contracts. Rightly or wrongly, how do you four deal with having such responsibility and, hand in hand with that, the potential blame when expectations aren't met?

"Look, we want to take a lot of responsibility. Ya, we definitely have a lot of weight on our shoulders, but it's weight that we've all wanted and have asked for pretty much with what we do on the ice. At the same time, it's definitely a team sport, you need everyone out there, and we all know that we need to be better to achieve our ultimate goals. So there's nothing you can really do about it other than just kind of ignore the outside noise and know that everyone in that locker room appreciates each other."

Mitch Marner

Why is Marner entertaining all these core 4 questions? Treliving made it very clear he wants it to die.

Last edited:

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
So the NHL is different and we just have to accept the inconsistent rule changes?
Its a fact because the refs make it that way. There are no facts...documented rule changes for playoffs. None what so ever.

You deem it as facts because it has happened over and over where goons get applauded and star players suffer. If the goons were so good....why are they not any Olympic teams?

No wonder the NHL is losing viewerships.

How about building a team with one set of rules.....like every other professional sports? Why is that so hard? Is it the Don Cherry brainwash that we need these toothless Canadians to bash each other brains out to "show heart"

Spend the regular season barely making the playoffs because you lead the league in penalties but hey....if we make the playoffs.....we might have a chance to win the cup because the rules change

What a product

We went that route years ago beating up Sens and still won squat
I know this post is a few pages back but I feel inclined to say...This is how the league has been for 100 YEARS!? Do you really think it will change for you? Lol...

Marner is a real nice piece. Super gifted player, and will probably get your team to the playoffs with like, one other top 6 guy playing with him on the team.

When playoffs come? HE PLAYS SCARED. Why? Because he is. He isn't willing to take the hit to get position. He won't fight knowing he'll lose short term and win long term.

Look at Crosby when he first came into the league. He was the same and then he said f it and flipped the switch and went all in. Marner didn't, or hasn't. Untill he does all he is, is a nice piece to place along side the real players. The winners. The ones who sacrifice.

Like it or not. Agree or not. That is what it is.

I don't hate the kid. I like watching him play. But he wont win you a cup.

Reactions: DivInit23 and Pengu

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021

Mitch = 10.9

Schenn alone was more effective than Marner in the playoffs.

People here are blindly defending Marner but he simply isn't great in the playoffs. An ok performance isn't even close to being enough. At $10.9 million, he needs to be elite. He needs to dominate.

Regular season Marner is fun to watch. He dazzles in some games and really gets people up out of their seat. I understand the attraction and I admire the loyalty, but the playoffs performance simply doesn't justify the cap hit.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Schenn alone was more effective than Marner in the playoffs.

People here are blindly defending Marner but he simply isn't great in the playoffs. An ok performance isn't even close to being enough. At $10.9 million, he needs to be elite. He needs to dominate.

Regular season Marner is fun to watch. He dazzles in some games and really gets people up out of their seat. I understand the attraction and I admire the loyalty, but the playoffs performance simply doesn't justify the cap hit.
Who's does?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I was watching back the post series interviews and I noticed how former conn smyth winner, and Stanley cup winning captain, Ryan Oreilly said that he thought he could've been better, he could've produced more in the series....and he thought the team could've adjusted better and been more oreosred coming into the series vs Florida. Meanwhile Marner for at least the 4th consecutive year was saying he thought the team played great and got their looks but the opposition goalie was phenomenal. He doesn't realize that he himself, the 11 million dollar player (and the other 11 million guys) are at some point expected to be able to raise their games and be the difference maker beyond the opposing teams 10 million dollar players. He doesn't realize that his team on paper was supposed to win and they lost in 5 games.

Yet... The Knights dusted Florida like they were the team with the worst regular season record that they were.

It was refreshing to hear Oreilly except more from himself and the team.

I believe its 4 consecutive years and counting of Marner crediting the oppositions goalie with going into god mode and stiffling an otherwise dominant performance by him and his teammates.

Reactions: OddyOh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad