• Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
One game... everyone has a bad game. I just don't get worked up over singular games.
Marner, matthews, nylander have bad careers... come playoffs

Remarakable how they see their offense decline playoffs vs reg season

JT also declines but that is a given he's been disappointing hockey fans since 16 years.

Marner if he signs for 7 or 8 years I'll at least applaud him for not being like matthews and taking the most AAV he can squeez for 3-4 years so he can just do it again on contract 4

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Playoff margin of error is very little. The amount of cap these guys take; they are not allowed to have an "off night" in the playoffs

Everyone has an "off night". Such as statement is well outside of reality.

2021 Conn Smyth winner - Vasilevsky - 0.872, gave up 6 goals against Panthers in game three of the series.
2022 Conn Smythe winner - Makar - minus three in game three against Tampa.

I could go on... but every player has off nights... I mean what fantasy world would someone have to live in, to not realize that?

Reactions: Dekes For Days

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Everyone has an "off night". Such as statement is well outside of reality.

2021 Conn Smyth winner - Vasilevsky - 0.872, gave up 6 goals against Panthers in game three of the series.
2022 Conn Smythe winner - Makar - minus three in game three against Tampa.

I could go on... but every player has off nights... I mean what fantasy world would someone have to live in, to not realize that?

What kind of innate absence of reason and logic would state that a Conn Smythe winner who responded to take their team to victory is the same garbage that marner has been doing and they are equal

:facepalm:

I wonder who is living in the fantasy land right now

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What kind of innate absence of reason and logic would state that a Conn Smythe winner who responded to take their team to victory is the same garbage that marner has been doing and they are equal

:facepalm:

I wonder who is living in the fantasy land right now

Oh, I thought you said this. "they are not allowed to have an "off night" in the playoffs"

Sorry... star players don't have off nights... but sure, spin, spin, spin... enjoy that spin cycle.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Stop using bad games or tough luck as a reason to defend our core. As of today, they collectively have not won sh*t. Every year since JT was signed, we all thought, they are going to do, this is the most talented Leafs team in history, best regular season records, they are contenders-just look at the odds….come playoffs, they couldn’t past the first round with JT for four straight years. Then when they finally made it, the played their worst playoffs hockey as Leafs. The Panthers series is the first series during the JT eras where they didn’t make it to a do or die elimination Game7(or Game 5 in the playins).

Individually, they might be great core pieces but collectively they just can’t win in the playoffs. JT is an anchor, while the other three tend to want money over team success(I don’t blame them), the team lacks locker room leaderships.

It will be another year of regular seasons scoring and winning. The hope will always be this is the year…but comes playoffs, there will always be a good chance they will choke again. I want to eat crows next summer but past and recent history is on my side. Which really pains me to say that despite having the most talented Leafs team in our life time, the top guys just couldn’t get it done when it matters the most.

I hope this will change this season but that’s what we all said the past few seasons.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You've missed two games and four more points.
I didn't 'miss' them, just didn't think it was necessary to stress the dichotomy more.

Six points in the first two games (the least like playoff games).
Four more in the next two (the other high scoring games).
Four in the last seven (when the games got serious).

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Marner, matthews, nylander have bad careers... come playoffs

Remarakable how they see their offense decline playoffs vs reg season

JT also declines but that is a given he's been disappointing hockey fans since 16 years.

Marner if he signs for 7 or 8 years I'll at least applaud him for not being like matthews and taking the most AAV he can squeez for 3-4 years so he can just do it again on contract 4
Marner, Matthews, and Tavares yes, but..

Comparing their drop in PPG from regular season to playoffs, in the five seasons they have played together:

Marner 1.22 to 0.92 drop of 30 points
Tavares 0.98 to 0.71 drop of 27 points
Matthews 1.22 to 1.00 drop of 22 points
Nylander 0.88 to 0.86 drop of 2 points
Rielly 0.73 to 0.73 no drop

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Said what?

You need to be a bit more specific bc I honestly, don’t understand your comment.
I mean Gretzky sucked on the kings game 4, playoffs, against the oilers one year. Didn't say he needed to play better. Should he have?

horner

May 22, 2007
Marner will need to be traded his ask on his new deal will be 1 mil less than mathews .

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I mean Gretzky sucked on the kings game 4, playoffs, against the oilers one year. Didn't say he needed to play better. Should he have?

Just don't. Comparing Marner to post-Oilers Gretzky :DD

I admire your persistence, but your logic is fundamentally flawed. Marner is not Gretzky, won no major individual award, and is missing a couple of SCs.

Why are you assuming Gretzky would say the same if his only accomplishment was 13th in scoring and no cups?

Lobbying hard for that Gretzky contract. Reaching back to history using un-comparable situations to justify Mitch on every step. Thank you, that's alone +$500k AAV, keep up the good work.

One was already SC winner and the great one, the other is Mitch. Even you should see the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: hamzarocks

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Comparing their drop in PPG from regular season to playoffs, in the five seasons they have played together:

The "anyone can have a bad game" crowd needs to fully digest this before posting any more nonsense.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Just don't. Comparing Marner to post-Oilers Gretzky :DD

I admire your persistence, but your logic is fundamentally flawed. Marner is not Gretzky, won no major individual award, and is missing a couple of SCs.

Why are you assuming Gretzky would say the same if his only accomplishment was 13th in scoring and no cups?

Lobbying hard for that Gretzky contract. Reaching back to history using un-comparable situations to justify Mitch on every step. Thank you, that's alone +$500k AAV, keep up the good work.

One was already SC winner and the great one, the other is Mitch. Even you should see the difference.
So a Kings fan would have given him a pass for playing like shit in an important playoff game when they won zero cups?

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
If you don't get it by now, you probably never will.
I get it fine. This school yard shit requires pointing to the absurdity by a qualified adult (me). I didn't bring up gretzky...someone else did and even he had bad games that he didn't address in the required groveling that some people insist, is necessary. While on the Kings, he did not commit the necessary Seppuku as people insist he must and always did.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
So a Kings fan would have given him a pass for playing like shit in an important playoff game when they won zero cups?

My point was clear, he was a proven winner and potentially the best to ever lace them by that point. It's not a comparable situation, Kings fans were surely unhappy, but they knew Gretzkys track record.

You don't commit Seppuka if you're the best player in the game, every award imaginable won already. If you are in this position you don't need to say anything, the world just expects you to bounce back.

Again prime Gretzky vs 13th in scoring first-round champ Mitch.

"Mitch sounded like a broken record again but remember when Gretzky said nothing 30 years ago?"

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I get it fine. This school yard shit requires pointing to the absurdity by a qualified adult (me). I didn't bring up gretzky...someone else did and even he had bad games that he didn't address in the required groveling that some people insist, is necessary. While on the Kings, he did not commit the necessary Seppuku as people insist he must and always did.
So you're an adult, and you didn't bring up Gretzky. I'll give you some points for that, nice job!

That said, you continued on with the Gretzky nonsense so those points you gained, you just lost them. :)

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
My point was clear, he was a proven winner and potentially the best to ever lace them by that point. It's not a comparable situation, Kings fans were surely unhappy, but they knew Gretzkys track record.

You don't commit Seppuka if you're the best player in the game, every award imaginable won already. If you are in this position you don't need to say anything, the world just expects you to bounce back.

Again prime Gretzky vs 13th in scoring first-round champ Mitch.

"Mitch sounded like a broken record again but remember when Gretzky said nothing 30 years ago?"
How about we all agree the reasonable position that any professional player will have a bad game. If he has too many, he gets traded or released. It isn't his job to prostate himself to self important fans carrying a dose of bragadoccio who require he lower himself to humility or even ridicule. If I were him, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
So you're an adult, and you didn't bring up Gretzky. I'll give you some points for that, nice job!

That said, you continued on with the Gretzky nonsense so those points you gained, you just lost them. :)
Can you count past 10 points without taking off your shoes and socks? You surprise me.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Can you count past 10 points without taking off your shoes and socks? You surprise me.
Even grade 3 schoolyard bullies could probably tell you that this childish insult would have made more sense, had you used the number 20 instead of 10. Can you figure out why?

Back to school for you. :laugh::laugh:

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Even grade 3 schoolyard bullies could probably tell you that this childish insult would have made more sense, had you used the number 20 instead of 10. Can you figure out why?

Back to school for you. :laugh::laugh:
I couldn't tell you because I wouldn't count each digit of my hands by twos

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
I know this post is a few pages back but I feel inclined to say...This is how the league has been for 100 YEARS!? Do you really think it will change for you? Lol...

Marner is a real nice piece. Super gifted player, and will probably get your team to the playoffs with like, one other top 6 guy playing with him on the team.

When playoffs come? HE PLAYS SCARED. Why? Because he is. He isn't willing to take the hit to get position. He won't fight knowing he'll lose short term and win long term.

Look at Crosby when he first came into the league. He was the same and then he said f it and flipped the switch and went all in. Marner didn't, or hasn't. Untill he does all he is, is a nice piece to place along side the real players. The winners. The ones who sacrifice.

Like it or not. Agree or not. That is what it is.

I don't hate the kid. I like watching him play. But he wont win you a cup.
100 yrs eh? Did you watch hockey back in the 60’s?
No other sport changes it’s rules in playoffs .

But yeah…let’s not try to make the game better…evolve with bigger and faster athletes.

The NFL didn’t evolve and the NBA didn’t I guess either or MLB for that matter eh?

what a crock of a excuse.

Hasn’t changed in 100 yrs so let’s keep on doing it. Rock and sock’em Don Cherry minions want the MMA in hockey and then proclaim its “heart”

Let’s promote our goons instead of our stars and no wonder viewership is down.

We should all go back to cloth shoulder pads and elbow pads…no helmets as “real” men don’t need armour.

Guess Olympic hockey is terrible hockey …you know where we bring our stars to shine. Bigger ice etc. You don’t have goons trying to chop you down because they can’t skate.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Super elite drop off by Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad