Votes: 420 67.5%
  • Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I mean... Marner got 14 points in 11 games, playing with Matthews and his damaged wrist. Matthews with a fixed wrist is getting another 4-5 goals in the playoffs, suggesting Marner gets 18 points +, in 11 games. Meanwhile, he's a +7 as is, dominates possession, and plays PK...

y'all are barking up the wrong tree.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I mean... Marner got 14 points in 11 games, playing with Matthews and his damaged wrist. Matthews with a fixed wrist is getting another 4-5 goals in the playoffs, suggesting Marner gets 18 points +, in 11 games. Meanwhile, he's a +7 as is, dominates possession, and plays PK...

y'all are barking up the wrong tree.
On the other hand, he played much worse in the 2nd round than he did in the 1st round and in game 3 against FLA, down 2-0 with the season on the line, he played perhaps the worst game of his entire NHL career.

There is no excuse for one of the highest paid players in the world playing that badly in the most important game of the season, period.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
On the other hand, he played much worse in the 2nd round than he did in the 1st round and in game 3 against FLA, down 2-0 with the season on the line, he played perhaps the worst game of his entire NHL career.

There is no excuse for one of the highest paid players in the world playing that badly in the most important game of the season, period.

Ah yes... the one bad game argument. It's never a good argument.

Edmonton vs. Vegas... series tied 1-1.. McDavid goes -2, no points in game three... Vegas wins game, and goes on to win series. Therefore McDavid is terrible and needs to be traded. No excuse for THE highest paid player in the world, playing that badly in one of the most important games of the season, period.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Edmonton vs. Vegas... series tied 1-1.. McDavid goes -2, no points in game three... Vegas wins game, and goes on to win series. Therefore McDavid is terrible and needs to be traded. No excuse for THE highest paid player in the world, playing that badly in one of the most important games of the season, period.
Don't forget he shot the puck over the glass 5 years ago. :laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

It wasn't one of the most important games of the season, it was "the" most important game of the season. Go down 3-0 and it's as good as over so time to play your ass off, leave it all out there on the ice etc. and considering his cap hit, maybe even set the tone and show others the way. I hoped he'd come out flying and show the world that he truly is a superstar who can be counted on to step up when the pressure is on but instead, he choked.

It would be a lot easier to forget about it if he had a history of stepping up in the playoffs (like the player you compared him to) but unfortunately, Marner's MO is that his level of play tends to drop off as the games get bigger.

If you feel like Marner's a player you can count on when the going gets tough, that's fine. I can't understand for the life of me how anyone can still feel that way but we're entitled to our opinions. JMHO.

Don't forget he shot the puck over the glass 5 years ago. :laugh:
The most notable occasion was actually 2 years ago against Montreal but that's OK, your ignorance is forgiven. You go ahead and keep laughing.

Reactions: myleafs

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It wasn't one of the most important games of the season, it was "the" most important game of the season. Go down 3-0 and it's as good as over so time to play your ass off, leave it all out there on the ice etc. and considering his cap hit, maybe even set the tone and show others the way. I hoped he'd come out flying and show the world that he truly is a superstar who can be counted on to step up when the pressure is on but instead, he choked.

It would be a lot easier to forget about it if he had a history of stepping up in the playoffs (like the player you compared him to) but unfortunately, Marner's MO is that his level of play tends to drop off as the games get bigger.

If you feel like Marner's a player you can count on when the going gets tough, that's fine. I can't understand for the life of me how anyone can still feel that way but we're entitled to our opinions. JMHO.

The most notable occasion was actually 2 years ago against Montreal but that's OK, your ignorance is forgiven. You go ahead and keep laughing.

If your motive is to simply find a scapegoat, go at it. If you think scoring at a higher rate in the playoffs, than regular season, isn't elevating your game... go ahead. 18th place in playoff scoring this year, having only played two rounds. The biggest problem wasn't Marner, but go on.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If your motive is to simply find a scapegoat, go at it. If you think scoring at a higher rate in the playoffs, than regular season, isn't elevating your game... go ahead. 18th place in playoff scoring this year, having only played two rounds. The biggest problem wasn't Marner, but go on.
I have no motive, just stating my opinion.

Historically, Marner's production has dropped a fair bit in the playoffs, and like I said his performance dropped off against Florida.

Many have said his points totals are misleading and he didn't play as well this spring as those numbers would have you think. I agree with those people.

I never said he was the biggest problem, nothing else to say about that strawman.

Question for you - he was so bad in game 3, is that just a blip on the radar for you that in no way influences your opinion of Marner? Or do you not agree that his play in that game abysmal?

Reactions: arso40

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Dangle is a fool. I understand your affinity though
216000 subscribers.... Worked for Sportsnet. Yup certainly he's a fool with a large group of followers...let me guess...also fools? Lol and @ACC1224 liked your comments.

Have you two considered changing your usernames to Laurel and Hardy?

• Haha
Reactions: Arzak

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
216000 subscribers.... Worked for Sportsnet. Yup certainly he's a fool with a large group of followers are let me guess...also fools? Lol and @ACC1224 liked your comments.

Have you two considered changing your usernames to laurel and hardy?
You buy the manscape products he shills for?

• Haha
Reactions: Arzak

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Question for you - he was so bad in game 3, is that just a blip on the radar for you that in no way influences your opinion of Marner? Or do you not agree that his play in that game abysmal?
One game... everyone has a bad game. I just don't get worked up over singular games.

Reactions: studebaker17

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

Is it OK if I keep laughing too?

• Haha
Reactions: Arzak and ACC1224

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
One game... everyone has a bad game. I just don't get worked up over singular games.
Fair enough. For me personally, I don't remember ever seeing a star player play as badly in a playoff game as Marner did in that one, never mind the biggest game of the year with the season on the line. I mean he looked like a rookie who had no control over his nerves whatsoever, fumbling around with the puck, had a hard time making the simplest passes, it was was just so weird to watch. I don't understand how anyone can shrug it off as "just one game" but like I said, we're all entitled to our opinions.

He plays really well most of time time, especially during the regular season. But sometimes in the playoffs, it's like he's a different player. He's probably worth his cap hit during the regular season but in the playoffs, not so much, not to this point anyway.

Is it OK if I keep laughing too?
Why do you ask, were you also displaying ignorance?

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Marner is a great player but he had been choking when the Leafs needed him the most.
Stop saying AM is crap too or so was JT or this is a team game….
Great players rise to the occasion.
Stop using other players like McD, or Kuch or whoever and state that they didn’t do much in this elimination games or that elimination games…bc they don’t play for the Leafs.
If great players don’t rise to the occasion, then maybe the Leafs should just start getting players who are really good and have a complete balance lineup and hope one or more of those really good players can turn on that switch.

One last thing, I am really sick and tired of our core keep thinking they will win eventually and that the other team was better(from their post series conf/locker clean out day)…instead of saying they need to do more, a lot more. Just look at what Wayne said after he lost to the Islanders and realized him and his Oilers needed to do more to win.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Marner is a great player but he had been choking when the Leafs needed him the most.
Stop saying AM is crap too or so was JT or this is a team game….
Great players rise to the occasion.
Stop using other players like McD, or Kuch or whoever and state that they didn’t do much in this elimination games or that elimination games…bc they don’t play for the Leafs.
If great players don’t rise to the occasion, then maybe the Leafs should just start getting players who are really good and have a complete balance lineup and hope one or more of those really good players can turn on that switch.

One last thing, I am really sick and tired of our core keep thinking they will win eventually and that the other team was better(from their post series conf/locker clean out day)…instead of saying they need to do more, a lot more. Just look at what Wayne said after he lost to the Islanders and realized him and his Oilers needed to do more to win.
He stunk on game 4 of the playoffs on the kings against the oilers. Do you think he should have said so?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Look he's an 11M player. The standard that contract brings is sky-high and that's what he signed up for. When you're paid that much, you don't get the leeway to say "I didn't perform cause my linemate was hurt, the ice was choppy, or the goalie was too good."

You just have to get it done.

There's no reasonable defense to suggest he's performed up to that cap hit in the playoffs. At the end of the Tampa series and the entire Florida series, he was playing like half his worth.

That's just unacceptable and he's had multiple phases like this during his career.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I like Marner and don’t want to trade him Nylander or matthews but what about Marner+Woll+a B Prospect to Philly for Konecny+Hart. We’ll have the cap space to resign Samsonov and then some change still left over
How much of a "B prospect" would we have to include to get them to accept the extra $2M+ in cap, and can we afford to give away any more?

Plus, is it worth that just to (maybe) get a better goalie and only $2M in cap space?

And why would they give up their #1 goalie for a minor league backup and a slight improvement in offence?

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

He had six points in the first two games (the ones that were least like playoff hockey) and four points in the last seven.

Closer to a "one good game" argument.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Playoff margin of error is very little. The amount of cap these guys take; they are not allowed to have an "off night" in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad