Votes: 420 67.5%
  • Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
My biggest issue is that we cant have two players on the team making basically the same money. Marner is going to ask for the exact number matthews gets. Imo he isnt worth that but even if he was then it still doesnt work for a cap perspective. Tavares already is at 11 and we cant move that.

Matthews will get 13-14.
Tavares is at 11.
Nylander will get 8.5-10.

Marner is going to ask for 13-15 at that point with the cap higher. For me, I take nylander at 3-4 mill cheaper and use marner money for a couple players.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
My biggest issue is that we cant have two players on the team making basically the same money. Marner is going to ask for the exact number matthews gets. Imo he isnt worth that but even if he was then it still doesnt work for a cap perspective. Tavares already is at 11 and we cant move that.

Matthews will get 13-14.
Tavares is at 11.
Nylander will get 8.5-10.

Marner is going to ask for 13-15 at that point with the cap higher. For me, I take nylander at 3-4 mill cheaper and use marner money for a couple players.
Isn't Tavares off the books when Marner comes up?

IMO, Marner isn't far off Matthews now. If he has a huge season next year why wouldn't he be worth it?

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Sorry I dont agree....

All playing by the same rules in playoffs is a poor excuse.

You build your team on ONE set of rules the NHL have put out. Every professional sport does this.

We didnt see Tom Brady get pile driven in playoffs as the rules didnt change. You dont see LeBron get elbowed constantly in playoffs because the rules didnt change.

But in the NHL it is accepted by alot of fans that all of a sudden.....playoff hockey is all about showing aggressiveness....and deem it "Heart" which in fact it isnt heart....its that they can get away with cheap shots and late hits...that is all. They got penalized in regular season and in playoffs refs turn a blind eye.

All because the rules change....and if you dont want to admit it or not....the rules benefit the goons. Look at Chariot....got a big contract and trade value because he was some sort of stud in playoffs with the Habs and he really is just a bum player and only excels in playoffs because when your slow and cant skate....you can interfere...crosscheck...and try to bully players without any consequences.

Not all players have to look like Tucker or Gillmour or as you mentioned Gudas to have heart. Did you see Gretzky or Lemieux, Kane...Bossy...etc ....fight? or play dirty? They were all pretty stoic in their play like many others.....But I never hear fans complain they had no heart....

You say our players dont compete enough....and it was said that Mathews had a very high level of it.....same with Marner. But when the camera go on them in scrums.....Fans complain because they dont get involved in glove washes to the face and all that other crap that happens after the whistle.

I bet you thought Sundin didnt have a compete level too.

We have no idea how much fire some have in their belly. You can claim Clark and Glilly and all those other leafs had it....because they supposedly showed it on their sleeve but that means very little in judging someones character.

I’m sorry but I dont get into all that show....played alot ....seen them come and go. Seen players be the silent assassins and also seen alot of players act like fools after the whistle...couldnt skate worth a crap or pass the puck but they sure could do a great glove wash and if you got the better of them in trash talking....then they wanted to fight to show you who the man was.......hahaha..

But yeah.....I do agree changes have to be made......but I also feel very lucky to see one of the best leaf teams I have seen in over 50 yrs of watching the leafs. Even with all their flaws and no stability in nets....they put up record numbers.

All for not to some.....I mean....we keep on hearing how ROR was a great add, a playoff warrior and please resign him again.....but he showed less pushback then all our stars.....damn...even Holl had a fight. ......but not a peep from anyone that he didnt compete enough ....

Funny how perception works....
I dont see how complaining about how the game is called in the playoffs and saying its unfair does any good like at all. Complaining and wishing it was different does what exactly? Bringing up other sports means nothing to me. Go watch them then if thats what you prefer. Hockey is fast and things happen quickly. Its war baby.

I work with people who complain about how things are run all the time...they know better than the owners how to run their business and complain constantly about how it should be done. Drives me nuts....do the job or leave or start your own business and make whatever rules you want.

I didnt say Gudas has heart though he does....you called him and the panthers goons and I was responding to that and said I would love a guy like Gudas on the leafs D punishing the opposition. The rules benefit the goons?....how many goons were on Vegas again? Vegas didnt seem to have a problem handling the Panthers goonery.

Calling the panthers goons who took out 3 top teams including us is saying our little boys cant handle it and its not fair. Tough shit....time to put on the big boy pants or face the same result next time.

So the leafs arent soft as butter? re Gretzky messier, rosehill, kypryeos and a bunch of others think differently... you know guys who actually played in the nhl and understand what it takes. Gretztky got over 200 pts in a season and is the all time best player in the world.....dont think lack of jam is a concern with him however even Gretzky and Messier called out Nylander last year when he did one of his famous pull backs, both stating you cant do that in the playoffs you just cant. And gretz this year calling the stars MIA. So yea Ill listen to what they have to say which goes right along my thoughts as well over an internet guy on hf boards who is trying to force the opinion that M$M are amongst the most competitive players in the league.

Players dont need to fight to have jam or be tough...wish people would stop with that...mention toughness and some around here immediately go to mouthbreathers and knuckledraggers....always taking it to the extreme.

Liked Sundin a lot til he signed with the Canucks.

So while I hear what your saying, I just dont agree. You can keep teliing me how great of a team we are over and over but I have my own opinion and it isnt that. I did feel lucky at first with this bunch but as each year goes by the warts keep revealing themselves and it seems like the ones in charge want to bury their heads in the sand and act like we are on the cusp of greatness and as a result just keep repeating what failed the year before.

Last edited:

myleafs

May 25, 2021

IMO, Marner isn't far off Matthews now. If he has a huge season next year why wouldn't he be worth it?
Even if he were worth it can you have a team with 2 guys making 13-15 and still be competitive?....seems like it would be worse than what we are already going through.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Even if he were worth it can you have a team with 2 guys making 13-15 and still be competitive?....seems like it would be worse than what we are already going through.
Yes, I think so.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Can someone else will Marner trade to happen for the betterment of this franchise? My Super Saiyan energy ain't working
Not happening. The ownership (and President) are too afraid of losing AM34 if they trade MM16 before July 1. The softness isn't confined to the ice.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
man if these Leafs no-showed a game as bad as the Celtics did game 7 vs Miami
Leafs are a constant no show in Game 7. I mean how many Game 7 had they won over the years?

Depends on who are the two getting 13-15mil. If it is McD and Mack, I think that’s okay since they will play on two different lines. But if they are AM and MM, probably won’t work since they play with each other.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
man if these Leafs no-showed a game as bad as the Celtics did game 7 vs Miami
Strange take as this has happened several times already with this core, getting dominated in game 7 is basically their trademark. And game 3 against FLA was similar in importance (do or die) and that was the worst effort out of all of them.

Reactions: Antropovsky

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Strange take as this has happened several times already with this core, getting dominated in game 7 is basically their trademark. And game 3 against FLA was similar in importance (do or die) and that was the worst effort out of all of them.
true enough I guess. I would re-work my reply to something like if those Celtics are built different than these pampered Leafs I would expect them to not roll over in a game 7 as they did. but I actually think the two teams/groups are pretty similar, young core that kind of arrived earlier than expected and turned disappointing earlier than expected as a result. maybe worth noting that the Celtics made their big trade finally and chose to move the character/grit/team-first/DPOTY guy.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
[
That's pretty idiotic, auditioning for his new career.
Saying stupid things seems to be the best way to get attention. We see that here daily.
What's idiotic? Can you be more specific? That's a pretty vague statement. Can you explain why you disagree? Do you disagree that Marner doesn't go to dirty areas? Or do you disagree that Marner should have to go to dirty areas?

Seems your being intentionally vague so you don't have to clarify your position. Because:

1)if you say Marner does go to dirty areas, you'll be bombarded with responses from knowledgeable posters who know he doesn't and will also direct you to videos of him actively avoiding the areas.

2)What's your other angle going to be? He shouldn't have to go to the dirty areas?

Reactions: Gilmour1996

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Not sure if he’s available but I wouldn’t mind a Marner to Philadelphia trade for Farabee with Konency also coming
Farabee+Konency@50% for Marner Niemela and Hirvonen or something along those lines

• Wow
Reactions: arso40

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
That's pretty idiotic, auditioning for his new career.
Saying stupid things seems to be the best way to get attention. We see that here daily.
Yes. You should probably stop doing that.

Not happening. The ownership (and President) are too afraid of losing AM34 if they trade MM16 before July 1. The softness isn't confined to the ice.
Thread winner!

Reactions: Budz22

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
true enough I guess. I would re-work my reply to something like if those Celtics are built different than these pampered Leafs I would expect them to not roll over in a game 7 as they did. but I actually think the two teams/groups are pretty similar, young core that kind of arrived earlier than expected and turned disappointing earlier than expected as a result. maybe worth noting that the Celtics made their big trade finally and chose to move the character/grit/team-first/DPOTY guy.
Ha that whole Celtics series was so weird, don't even know what to say about that except that I was thrilled that Miami won it (and it was a shocker).

Reactions: leafs in five

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
[
What's idiotic? Can you be more specific? That's a pretty vague statement. Can you explain why you disagree? Do you disagree that Marner doesn't go to dirty areas? Or do you disagree that Marner should have to go to dirty areas?

Seems your being intentionally vague so you don't have to clarify your position. Because:

1)if you say Marner does go to dirty areas, you'll be bombarded with responses from knowledgeable posters who know he doesn't and will also direct you to videos of him actively avoiding the areas.

2)What's your other angle going to be? He shouldn't have to go to the dirty areas?
I'm curious what do you consider dirty areas?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Can Leafs win the Cup with AM and MM being paid 13-15mil each playing on the same line?
Sofar, the answer is No.

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
That depends on how much AM is getting. I don't think AM should get anything near 12.5mil but pretty sure he will end up being the highest paid player.
I agree with you on Matthews. But I believe Marner. will be more relaxed. On his contract demands this time. This was his best year so far, and I put him between top 10 top 15. best players. I can't see him demanding to be paid more than Mcdavid or Mckinnon. and a few others.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
just look at their post game presser after Game 3 and look at the Celtics post game presser after Game 3 and if tell me they felt the same way or whatever, you are living in a very delusional World.
One team was disappointed and ashamed of their performance and other was we lost Game 3, just need to do better…
The Celtics were losers. Who gives a toss about their presser?

eeks....this scenario makes me very uneasy for the future
This seems like a you problem.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Yes, I think so.
Until this year, there’s never been a team with a skater to even make a cup final making more than 9.5m.

Spending near 30m on two players who have accomplished absolutely nothing will only continue the streak of embarrassing futility in the playoffs. These guys need complimentary players to help them and at the prices they want, it doesn’t leave room to get those kinds of players.

If a GM is to build a winner, they have to get players onboard with winning and making small sacrifices to do so. Marner and Matthews should be gone if they’re both demanding anywhere near 15m, especially Marner. Neither of them have done nearly enough to justify a raise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad