Votes: 420 67.5%
  • Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I actually think theres some argument to support this, at least a bit. Not always true, but the first two rounds generally seem to be more physical to be than 3 and 4 to me
Didn’t we all thought once the first round monkey off their back, there will be nothing to hold them back and they will dominate? Those were good times.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Didn’t we all thought once the first round monkey off their back, there will be nothing to hold them back and they will dominate? Those were good times.

I mean, I agree, that didn’t pan out. I think most of us agreed they had all they would need to make a run after getting the monkey off their back. I don’t know if people looked at it as any kind of garauntee however

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I mean, I agree, that didn’t pan out. I think most of us agreed they had all they would need to make a run after getting the monkey off their back. I don’t know if people looked at it as any kind of garauntee however
The general consensus was we all did thought they would make a great run. The disappointing part is they way they played. You can argue those 5 games were close and could go either way but the way the boys played were far from being good. They didn’t played like a pact the way they did against TB and our top three guys scored ONE goal in 5 games is unacceptable by any standards.
Lastly, it is so hard to root for them after watching their post game and locker clean out presser. I wish they came out and said, it was disappointing and we needed to do better… or it is Cup or bust for us…. To me it seemed like our top guys felt they got past the first rounds and it is good enough for now.

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
Or you just split AM and MM up into two different lines and see what happens. Even if that happens, teams will still zoom in on AM as their primary shutdown bc AM can score

I highly doubt that’s the case.

If that’s really the case, MM is massively over rated by the Leafsnation
Marner hasn't proven crap in the playoffs. Game falters and personally think is overpaid. Zegras a centre with so much potential, cheaper, younger so I honestly don't think Ducks do a swap even straight up. Nothing against Mitch it's just reality.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Marner hasn't proven crap in the playoffs. Game falters and personally think is overpaid. Zegras a centre with so much potential, cheaper, younger so I honestly don't think Ducks do a swap even straight up. Nothing against Mitch it's just reality.
as of now, Zegras’s highlight wheel goals is one of the main reasons why he has his status. Ofcourse his WJC Gold also played a part too.

MM is miles better than him right now

Reactions: ACC1224

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
If you're going to trade him, the best time to do so would be before July 1st. 2 years left on his contract and can ship him off anywhere without worrying about his NTC.

Past July 1st, you are pretty much forced to keep and extend him next summer. We'll get pennies on the dollar once he can pick and choose where he wants to go or becomes a one year rental.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Marner fanboys not gonna like what Rosehill has to say. So soft, don't know if he can lift SC (LOL), not willing to go to war, fresh faced, nice kid who likes to do toe drags (LOL) and rip it from the soft spots (LOL), can't see him lifting the SC after being battered for two months.

Yet Leafs wanna keep him and try, try again. Tells me they are satisfied with a great regular season and playoffs are gravy.

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If you're going to trade him, the best time to do so would be before July 1st. 2 years left on his contract and can ship him off anywhere without worrying about his NTC.

Past July 1st, you are pretty much forced to keep and extend him next summer. We'll get pennies on the dollar once he can pick and choose where he wants to go or becomes a one year rental.
Yup.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

If he agrees to a trade post July 1st, Leafs pay his $7m bonus on July 1 and get a better return. Sadly IMO Shanny does not have the balls or stomach to move him. Rather run it back and lose again in a year. Rinse and repeat and cash those July 1st bonus cheques.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
The panic is they all make so much money that we arent able to put a cup winning team around them and because we are paying them so much they are the go to guys and we live or die depending on how they perform and so far (7yrs) they are showing they cant get it done on their own.

Re playoffs, its the same for everyone. Eichel and Stone dealt with it just fine. That punk team Florida took care of business against 3 top teams in the league. They were tough as nails, played on the edge but were smart about it at least til the cup, and they played with passion and as a cohesive unit who were playing for each other. Teams learn how to play on the edge and know when to go over the line.....opposite of say a player like Bunting.

Just seeing a lot more excuses and blame on other things rather than taking responsibility and trying to figure out how to remedy our issues.

Fans blame stars who want the moon money wise and then dont live up to the expectations that come with the moola.
So you admit the rules change in playoffs and you ok with teams that are at the top of penalties getting a pass because they play with your so called “passion” and cohesiveness?

So when they actually get paid in the regular season they barely made the playoffs with all that passion and cohesiveness?

Guess the Bruins never had that passion and cohesiveness’s too or the Canes?

Can’t not be just having a hot goalie?

The leafs can still build a team with the core four. Yes it’s more difficult when you have so much of your cap space dedicated to a handful of players.

Edm does it too and Vegas players said they were the toughest matchup they had in playoffs. Not the team that you claim had the most passion and cohesiveness.

Like I mentioned before….Name another sport that changes its rules so drastically in playoffs?

Funny how when Florida goalie came back to earth and they started to get back to their regular season avg on penalties that they folded against Vegas

Players not having passion to win a Stanley cup is just hogwash. It’s just fans being upset.

I mean yrs ago with Gilmour and Clark…Domi and Tucker …did they not have enough passion and cohesiveness? They won squat and had no salary cap. They got paid…had huge endorsements. We’re they greedy?

Did McKinnon get shit on because he couldn’t get it down for yrs?

Playing on the edges and not going over the line? Which rules ? regular season ones or the rules that promote goons in playoffs?

Yeah Gudas and those goons never went over the line. We all witnessed how inconsistent punishment are in the NHL

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
His primary assist on the Leafs 3rd goal in the 7-3 loss was very similar.

- Matthews blocks pass attempt in defensive zone and puck deflects to Marner
- Marner skates a few strides but doesn't have acceleration to create space from opponent and opponent easily strips him of puck
- Matthews steals puck back and charges onto offensive zone feeding Marner
- Marner feeds puck back to Matthews who has two defenders on him immediately
- Matthews draws both defenders quickly, pulls an elite move in a phone booth and touch passes puck back to Marner while also tying up the defenders stick
- Marner makes the straight forward pass to Jarnkrok for goal
- Marner fans proceed to say wow primary assist Marner, but what has Matthews done?

7:19 of this highlight package:

"Marner fans" what utter stupidity.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
So you admit the rules change in playoffs and you ok with teams that are at the top of penalties getting a pass because they play with your so called “passion” and cohesiveness?

So when they actually get paid in the regular season they barely made the playoffs with all that passion and cohesiveness?

Guess the Bruins never had that passion and cohesiveness’s too or the Canes?

Can’t not be just having a hot goalie?

The leafs can still build a team with the core four. Yes it’s more difficult when you have so much of your cap space dedicated to a handful of players.

Edm does it too and Vegas players said they were the toughest matchup they had in playoffs. Not the team that you claim had the most passion and cohesiveness.

Like I mentioned before….Name another sport that changes its rules so drastically in playoffs?

Funny how when Florida goalie came back to earth and they started to get back to their regular season avg on penalties that they folded against Vegas

Players not having passion to win a Stanley cup is just hogwash. It’s just fans being upset.

I mean yrs ago with Gilmour and Clark…Domi and Tucker …did they not have enough passion and cohesiveness? They won squat and had no salary cap. They got paid…had huge endorsements. We’re they greedy?

Did McKinnon get shit on because he couldn’t get it down for yrs?

Playing on the edges and not going over the line? Which rules ? regular season ones or the rules that promote goons in playoffs?

Yeah Gudas and those goons never went over the line. We all witnessed how inconsistent punishment are in the NHL
Im good with the playoff rules...for me that is thereal in the trenches dig deep gut check time hockey that makes it so interesting. Who wants to watch disney on ice in the playoffs? It is the same for everyone so...all I hear from you is sour grapes and excuses. Its a war and like a poster in here said the leafs always bring a knife to a gun fight and that knife is usually a plastic one. You could always watch womens hockey...I hear they arent allowed to hit.

Ill take a a team full of Wendal Clarks, Gilmours and Tucker, Roberts any day over this bunch. There is a reason people still talk and pine for players like that. Those guys had the fire in the belly that I dont see an ounce of from our top guys.

Its not about winning the cup for me though that would be nice. Only one team wins I get that but what I need to see is a team that will lay it all on the line and play for each other. If they do that I can live with it.

McKinnon plays hard and with the fire that I want to see from our guys so I dont know what your getting at.

I dont care what other sports do...Stanley is the hardest cup to win for a reason. Again I dont hear too many other teams and fans complaining that its not fair....they adjust and do what needs to be done or they dont and they fall by the wayside.

Putting down the team and trashing the players that took us out in 5? Id take Gudas on our D punishing opposing players but if that isnt your thing.

Saying Gilmours Clarks got paid?.....yikes...in comparison its not even in the same stratosphere as our boys..

I wanna see my team go down with a fight and not a whimper. Dont see how that is so unreasonable.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
as of now, Zegras’s highlight wheel goals is one of the main reasons why he has his status. Ofcourse his WJC Gold also played a part too.

MM is miles better than him right now
I'm not disagreeing who the better player is. If you take everything into account age, position, salary, potential it's not as cut and dry as you think and if the Leafs offered Mitch straight up for Zegras I strongly feel Anaheim declines.

Reactions: ToneDog

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
Im good with the playoff rules...for me that is thereal in the trenches dig deep gut check time hockey that makes it so interesting. Who wants to watch disney on ice in the playoffs? It is the same for everyone so...all I hear from you is sour grapes and excuses. Its a war and like a poster in here said the leafs always bring a knife to a gun fight and that knife is usually a plastic one. You could always watch womens hockey...I hear they arent allowed to hit.

Ill take a a team full of Wendal Clarks, Gilmours and Tucker, Roberts any day over this bunch. There is a reason people still talk and pine for players like that. Those guys had the fire in the belly that I dont see an ounce of from our top guys.

Its not about winning the cup for me though that would be nice. Only one team wins I get that but what I need to see is a team that will lay it all on the line and play for each other. If they do that I can live with it.

McKinnon plays hard and with the fire that I want to see from our guys so I dont know what your getting at.

I dont care what other sports do...Stanley is the hardest cup to win for a reason. Again I dont hear too many other teams and fans complaining that its not fair....they adjust and do what needs to be done or they dont and they fall by the wayside.

Putting down the team and trashing the players that took us out in 5? Id take Gudas on our D punishing opposing players but if that isnt your thing.

Saying Gilmours Clarks got paid?.....yikes...in comparison its not even in the same stratosphere as our boys..

I wanna see my team go down with a fight and not a whimper. Dont see how that is so unreasonable.
You're absolutely right as fans that's all we want and with this core it's a whimper. I hate fans comparing our core and team to others and how long it may have taken to get to hoisting the Cup. For me it's not solely about winning it all but the compete level, grit, showing up for every game which clearly isn't the case with this bunch. If game 3 against Florida wasn't enough to make you want to ship some of these guys I don't know what is. M&M were both no shows in a crucial game when we were down 2-0.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad