• Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Cool.

They key on Mack too and he just runs right through them and wins anyway. They keyed on Kane and he still out skilled them and produced
therein lies the issue; lack of north south speed for Marner is what gets him neutralized in the playoffs.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Mostly thanks to his teammates. He relies on his teammates to retrieve the puck for him, he relies on his teammates to create space for him, and he relies on others to screen the goalie for him. Things he doesn't himself do for his linemates. His role is basically chase the puck when it's moving and try to make passes.

Break down anyone of his points and they are a result of excellent plays by teammates, or he's on the pp.

He also sucks in big moments, he has more giveaways that led to goals against in big games, than plays that led to goals. Just this past year he once again did it when instead of clearing the zone he passed the puck up the center to Matthews who immediately had the puck stolen and it ended up in the net. What game was that again?

Tack that on to the 4 bonehead plays he had vs Montreal and Tampa from previous years.
He creates offensive chances for his team mates. He wears #16 open your eyes helps
with takes such as these. This place is a joke full if takes such as these

He is so slow. Like a future JT. I would move on now before its too late
Too slow oh my what a joke.

Reactions: al secord

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Marner is one year younger than McKinnon when he won the cup. Avs didnt give up on him so quick.

Same could be said with Mathews.

Mathews is one yr older then Liljegren

Dont quite understand the panic. The Tavares cap hit hurts the most and has a NTC

If they get rid of a high cost player it will be between Marner and Nylander.

And IMHO the playoffs are a joke. Rules are thrown out and the game changes....not because players who make no money in playoffs have more "heart" .....its because "goons can get away with more crap and guess who suffers? The Stars that rely on skill and open ice. But when you can interfere to close lanes or get the puck and if the officials turn constantly a blind eye to cross checks ....how does that help the stars?

Don Cherry has brainwashed way too many.....I dont mind hard checking....fights...etc...part of the game but when you let goons rule the ice....and the rules change so drastically from the regular season....then its just a bad product.

How does a star cause so many penalties but in playoffs he he barely causes any? How does a punk team like Florida be in the top in penalties but come playoffs they are all of a sudden saints?

Then fans blame the stars for not producing or not caring.......top athletes in the world who train all year.....all of a sudden dont care.....makes no sense to me ...
The panic is they all make so much money that we arent able to put a cup winning team around them and because we are paying them so much they are the go to guys and we live or die depending on how they perform and so far (7yrs) they are showing they cant get it done on their own.

Re playoffs, its the same for everyone. Eichel and Stone dealt with it just fine. That punk team Florida took care of business against 3 top teams in the league. They were tough as nails, played on the edge but were smart about it at least til the cup, and they played with passion and as a cohesive unit who were playing for each other. Teams learn how to play on the edge and know when to go over the line.....opposite of say a player like Bunting.

Just seeing a lot more excuses and blame on other things rather than taking responsibility and trying to figure out how to remedy our issues.

Fans blame stars who want the moon money wise and then dont live up to the expectations that come with the moola.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
[
Compared to winning teams players his acceleration is slow as heck. His top end is just okay. Fast and physical rules the roost though.
Exactly, Oreilly isn't fast but he uses his body and strength to protect the puck and win battles. Marner is small and falls with the light contact. Nylander is as soft as Marner but he is one of the best Skaters in the game and he's got great lower body strength. Its the reason he was the only one of the leafs top 4 who was easily able to skate through the Panthers defense system.

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
[
Exactly, Oreilly isn't fast but he uses his body and strength to protect the puck and win battles. Marner is small and falls with the light contact. Nylander is as soft as Marner but he is one of the best Skaters in the game and he's got great lower body strength. Its the reason he was the only one of the leafs top 4 who was easily able to skate through the Panthers defense system.
he plays a similar game. to what Gretzky did. (he is obviously not Gretzky). There's different ways to be an elite player. The Panthers shut down. our star 6 foot 3 210 pound centre.

Reactions: ACC1224

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
he attempts a pass into a tight area to start an attack, and the result of the 'turnover' is immediate repossession of the puck in the neutral zone with numbers to start another attack. I don't think Hedman really 'goes after Nylander' either as Marner is occupying the same area and he expects back pressure from the winger on the near side (Perry) who tried his best to hitch a ride. Marner is directly behind Nylander so hard to describe him as wide open if Nylander is double covered. imo. sick take off the skate too. great play all around by 3/4 of The Core 4.
I'm impressed. You are really going to extremes to try to pretend that the goal was all Marner's work rather than anything but.

All he did after making a poor pass was to follow Willy and tap the puck that was put right on his stick over to Matty when he called for it.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'm sure that was the other team's plans, shutdown the top guys and outscored the Leaf's 3rd and 4th lines.
Can you tell me any playoffs team that do not have a game plan to shut down opposing team top players and hope to outscore the other team?
And yet guys like Stone, Mass, Eichel, Kuch, Mack, Makar, Point, ROR and others all seem to be able to score and lead their teams to Cups the last 5 yrs. While our top guys combined for 1 goal in their last 5 playoffs games.
Just curious did you expect the rest of the team to score more than 90% of the goals in a series?

The rest of the team is definitely the problem bc how can any teams win in playoffs if their goalie don’t shutout the other team.
How dare other teams play tight and have game plans to shut down our top guys?

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
Can you tell me any playoffs team that do not have a game plan to shut down opposing team top players and hope to outscore the other team?
And yet guys like Stone, Mass, Eichel, Kuch, Mack, Makar, Point, ROR and others all seem to be able to score and lead their teams to Cups the last 5 yrs. While our top guys combined for 1 goal in their last 5 playoffs games.
Just curious did you expect the rest of the team to score more than 90% of the goals in a series?

The rest of the team is definitely the problem bc how can any teams win in playoffs if their goalie don’t shutout the other team.
How dare other teams play tight and have game plans to shut down our top guys?
You just really have to shut down Marner. here in Toronto. Matthews really doesn't score that much, unless he's set up. JT is not a threat. willi Is a threat, And all those guys you talked about. all have really nice balanced teams behind them.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I'm impressed. You are really going to extremes to try to pretend that the goal was all Marner's work rather than anything but.
I don't think it was all his work, the other overpaid soft boys did very well too.

All he did after making a poor pass was to follow Willy and tap the puck that was put right on his stick over to Matty when he called for it.
good understanding of space and time by our Mitchy. great take earlier in the sequence too (off his skate)

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
therein lies the issue; lack of north south speed for Marner is what gets him neutralized in the playoffs.
I think this is probably accurate even though I think he was v effective vs Tampa. but I feel like the biggest difference vs the regular season was he wasn't creating chances off turnovers. maybe on account of dmen and deep forwards being more content to just heave the puck toward the neutral zone? Florida D anyway were getting rid of the puck the second they recovered it.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You just really have to shut down Marner. here in Toronto. Matthews really doesn't score that much, unless he's set up. JT is not a threat. willi Is a threat, And all those guys you talked about. all have really nice balanced teams behind them.
Now you are saying Leafs’ success all depends on MM. That AM and JT are a by product of MM and Willie. Esp AM who doesn’t score much unless he is set up from MM. Due to that, the Leafs is not a balance team.
1. That’s so many wrongs that I don’t even know where to begin.
2. Balance team or not, those guys I mentioned produced in playoffs and won Cup(S). Despite opposing teams had plans to shut them down. They still managed to produce. Can’t say the same about our boys.

I just don’t see how a balance team had any affect on individual players performance. Like I said MM is not on an island like Sundin. He got AM, JT, and Willie the past 5 years and got ROR this past season.

It is okay to admit our top guys seem to have performance issue when it matters most, instead of keep finding excuses for them. Just bc they couldn’t do it these past 5 yrs doesn’t mean they will underperform they will continue this trend in the future.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Considering AM, MM and JT combined for ONE goal in the 2nd round and Leafs scored a lot more than ONE goal in 5 games. I would say that the supporting cast actually scored more than those three.
Keep thinking everyone else is the problem but AM and MM. Bc those two think the same.

Matthews and marner have been complete no-shows in 2 different series.

There is no one who can defend those performances without ignoring reality.

Keefe still tries to, as he created those disasters.

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
Now you are saying Leafs’ success all depends on MM. That AM and JT are a by product of MM and Willie. Esp AM who doesn’t score much unless he is set up from MM. Due to that, the Leafs is not a balance team.
1. That’s so many wrongs that I don’t even know where to begin.
2. Balance team or not, those guys I mentioned produced in playoffs and won Cup(S). Despite opposing teams had plans to shut them down. They still managed to produce. Can’t say the same about our boys.

I just don’t see how a balance team had any affect on individual players performance. Like I said MM is not on an island like Sundin. He got AM, JT, and Willie the past 5 years and got ROR this past season.

It is okay to admit our top guys seem to have performance issue when it matters most, instead of keep finding excuses for them. Just bc they couldn’t do it these past 5 yrs doesn’t mean they will underperform they will continue this trend in the future.
Yeah, pretty much. Mitch carried the team during the season with a little help from Willie. Florida shut down Mitch so the Leaf's didn't score and the Leaf's went out in five games. Wille seemed to be the only offensive threat in the series.

When you have multiple serious threats. on a team. it opens up space for individuals.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yeah, pretty much. Mitch carried the team during the season with a little help from Willie. Florida shut down Mitch so the Leaf's didn't score and the Leaf's went out in five games. Wille seemed to be the only offensive threat in the series.

When you have multiple serious threats. on a team. it opens up space for individuals.
Mate, you are so wrong that i don’t think I will continue discussing with you.

Matthews and marner have been complete no-shows in 2 different series.

There is no one who can defend those performances without ignoring reality.

Keefe still tries to, as he created those disasters.
And someone here thinks MM is the only reason the Leafs is a good team. Not even notsince67 would make those claims.

Reactions: the Mighty Oak

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
I think this is probably accurate even though I think he was v effective vs Tampa. but I feel like the biggest difference vs the regular season was he wasn't creating chances off turnovers. maybe on account of dmen and deep forwards being more content to just heave the puck toward the neutral zone? Florida D anyway were getting rid of the puck the second they recovered it.
system issue plus lack of north south speed; panthers used speed from the back to exploit that because they could tie up Marner whereas Tampa bay d wasn't fast enough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad