• Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I swear there are a couple of posters that prefer Marner's point totals to team success.
I swear you're the one who is discounting his contributions to team success (goals scored or assisted) on account of him not contributing to them in a unique enough way

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
the post I replied to was just saying 47 pts in 50 playoff gp was not good enough for 11m.

I got a notification you replied to me.

I actually noticed you replied to someone else. Not sure why I got the notification. But it seemed relevant to my own comment, so figured I would throw my two cents in.

For whatever that's worth.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
all good. I am just trying to say that if we think a player's production must always match their salary then we should account for their salary over time. Marner was on his rookie deal for 3 playoff years and scored .85 ppg and surely this is acceptable for 900k? argue about whether a ppg for 11m is acceptable but idk, Pastrnak has 36 points in 35 playoff games in the same period (from 19/20)

Reactions: Arzak

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Please pull up the videos of the times where he did make great plays and Matthews fired the puck into the moon or no where on target. Since we are nit picking. It goes both ways. You can’t shit on Marner and not shit on Matthews. If Matthews scores at least twice maybe that Florida series is different. You can look back to that Montreal Series, Marner gifted Matthews and Hyman beautiful passes and they missed or couldn’t bury past Price. Same thing in last years series against Tampa, how many times did Marner put it on a Tee for Matthews only for him to get robbed. Same in this years Florida series. At least Marner scored in both series.
or just all the scoring chances created period for anyone, like these that ROR and JT whiffed on. vs 10 second clips of goals to decide that he made no meaningful contribution to them. I just don't get it man

• Haha
Reactions: Arzak

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I swear you're the one who is discounting his contributions to team success (goals scored or assisted) on account of him not contributing to them in a unique enough way

Well played, it would be hard for you to comment on his 3 assists performance I mentioned so you just delete it and reply on what suits you.

I guess this is the way you use to evaluate Marner too, ignore reality and focus on point totals.
Every single post of yours. Examples presented, examples ignored.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Well played, it would be hard for you to comment on his 3 assists performance I mentioned so you just delete it and reply on what suits you.

I guess this is the way you use to evaluate Marner too, ignore reality and focus on point totals.
Every single post of yours. Examples presented, examples ignored.
I was okay with Marner contributing 2 assists when game 1 was 3-0/3-1. he had one garbage time assist in that game. fine, so call it 13 points in 11 playoff games (it's others and not you who care more about Mitch Marner's point totals more than team results remember).

I have responded to the all-playoff-goals video that you guys keep posting with a timestamp of my favourite assist of his in that package, on AM's goal to make it 4-2 in the comeback game, it's at 5:12 or so. it's a one-touch 'quick dish' simple pass that is also a really nice skill play (imo) and it proceeds a really skillful take on a bad pass in the neutral zone. lovely stuff.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
or just all the scoring chances created period for anyone, like these that ROR and JT whiffed on. vs 10 second clips of goals to decide that he made no meaningful contribution to them. I just don't get it man

Looked like a failed attempt to score by Marner.

But sure, let's go with Marner in the prime scoring area passing/attempting the pass instead scoring.

It's nice that someone is tracking imaginary secondary assists Mitch deservers but never got.

Yes this is what you don't get, my only argument was you could have a pylon instead of Mitch in the very same situation.

The result would be the same, Leafs not scoring. Just like in the provided video.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I mean the second clip is clearly a shot-pass to Tavares and it was one of at least 5 crazy A1 chances that Tavares missed in that series

Yes this is what you don't get, my only argument was you could have a pylon instead of Mitch in the very same situation.
yes and I think this is a really really silly argument, like self-evidently so

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
all good. I am just trying to say that if we think a player's production must always match their salary then we should account for their salary over time. Marner was on his rookie deal for 3 playoff years and scored .85 ppg and surely this is acceptable for 900k? argue about whether a ppg for 11m is acceptable but idk, Pastrnak has 36 points in 35 playoff games in the same period (from 19/20)

Maybe goals > assists?

I haven't checked. Who scored more goals?

Again if assists= goals Mitch=GOAT.

Bryson03tml

Jul 26, 2022
In my opinion this team needs to make a 1-2 year retool, I would trade Mitch and Willy for high first round pics and other teams top prospects and wait out the 2 years until Tavares deal expires
This team does not have a true number 1 goalie, this team is not deep on defence and this team is definitely not deep overall, use the money you save on Mitch and Willy wisely and hope the picks and prospects pan out and start again 2 years down the road

Bryson03tml

Jul 26, 2022
the current Stanley Cup champs do/did not have a true number 1 goalie. last year's champs let their goalie walk as UFA.
But they were just loaded in all the other aspects, got it
There isn’t exactly one way to build a team, you can ride a hot goalie who isn’t a true number one but I’m assuming when teams do this they play a very structured defensive game with usual stud d men playing that game

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Should we Trade or Keep Marner?

EDIT: His NMC kicks in July 1st, 2023

Scenarios:
- We keep Marner then:
A) he either walks as UFA in 2 years
B) he wants anywhere from 12 to 14 AAV for 8 years (currently at approx. 11 AAV for 6 years)

Given his play in the playoffs especially in elimination games he just doesn't have the next gear and even worse he makes the worse plays possible by giving away pucks and not fighting for the pucks. If there is no free ice mitch marner is not useful.
Do we really want to commit to that kind of AAV to this kind of player?

OR

- trade Marner get what we can for him and move on. retool/rebuild.
Get me saros and a good top pairing defenceman
Marner offense might have to be done by committee
But this just smells of a core 3 in 3 years worth about 40 million.still dysfunctional

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
But they were just loaded in all the other aspects, got it
There isn’t exactly one way to build a team, you can ride a hot goalie who isn’t a true number one but I’m assuming when teams do this they play a very structured defensive game with usual stud d men playing that game
I think the idea of the Leafs as a top-loaded offence-first/only team is outdated. scoring became their big issue this season, esp in the playoffs. fair to blame the big contracts up front for this ofc but I think a big part is also down to getting rid of Sandin and marginalizing Lilegren.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think the idea of the Leafs as a top-loaded offence-first/only team is outdated. scoring became their big issue this season, esp in the playoffs. fair to blame the big contracts up front for this ofc but I think a big part is also down to getting rid of Sandin and marginalizing Lilegren.

This is exactly it. Also in elimination games their problem was always scoring.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I have responded to the all-playoff-goals video that you guys keep posting with a timestamp of my favourite assist of his in that package, on AM's goal to make it 4-2 in the comeback game, it's at 5:12 or so. it's a one-touch 'quick dish' simple pass that is also a really nice skill play (imo) and it proceeds a really skillful take on a bad pass in the neutral zone. lovely stuff.
That's the one where, after Marner loses the puck, Brodie recovers it and feeds to Nylander, who enters the zone, draws both defencemen to him, and drops it to a wide open Mitch for an easy feed to Matty.

Agreed - that was a really nice skill play by Willy.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Marner doesn't lose the puck, he dishes it to Matthews who is checked and loses control albeit temporarily. And yeah then Brodie and then Nylander does really well, and Marner puts himself in a good position to make a play: calls for the pass and then plays it one touch to Matthews in space. really good vision and anticipation and touch and I fully disagree that any old random player in the league or on the roster could easily make the same play. also the take off his foot to start the sequence is very sick.

Last edited:

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
was actually really similar to Stone's pass to Howdon on that broken stick play in the finals. Stephenson playing the Nylander part in that case.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
ShaneFalco is on (at least) an HF timeout but I hope he knows I did not report him though he has made this accusation twice, and I hope he's doing ok

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad