Votes: 420 67.5%
  • Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Matthews 2x 60 goals 2x Rocket + Hart 10-11 is a bit too low, I don't think it's reasonable to expect less than Pasta despite the fact that his wrist might be an issue down the road.

Marner was 13th in points in his career year.

Don't get me wrong, I like it. This would make us more competitive, I just don't see why Marner and Matthews should be within $1M.

The PR Marner got is amazing.
OK. call it 11-12 for Matty. Mitch and Willy should be about the same.

Reactions: Arzak

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He sure is fun to watch, my favorite is watching him kill penalties. I'm curious to see how next season will go. Will I be able to enjoy watching him as much as I did the last couple of seasons or will the stink of game 3 against FLA always be there in the back of my mind?
We will enjoy good plays but when playoffs come, it will be another story. Don’t see why we can’t enjoy good hockey due to them not performing in past playoffs.

Marner and Mathhews each around 1.5 pts/game.
Nylander 1pt/game.
Including round 2 and beyond or just round 1? Lol

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We will enjoy good plays but when playoffs come, it will be another story. Don’t see why we can’t enjoy good hockey due to them not performing in past playoffs.

The entire playoff .

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
The entire playoff .

All 2023 playoff goals

We've been through this. You keep preaching Marners PPG ( secondary assists per game in this situation).

None of his fancy plays worked. He collected assists on very basic plays. There is no reason to think any random player slotted into the same situation would perform worse.

If you disagree please point out all those brilliant plays he did setting up goals.

We can agree he can't shoot the puck, so surely with his all-time great PPG performance, the playmaking skills were on display? Right?

Reactions: thewave

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

If you enjoy good plays, watch Willie Nylander dominate the competition in pre season games and in 3v3 OT (when he is engaged). Not many do it better.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
"We" probably isn't the appropriate word here since everybody's different. Some peole say they won't watch at all, some say playoff failures have no effect on them watching, most are somewhere in between. For me personally, I know how we did in the playoffs has at least some effect on how much I enjoy watching the next regular season, I'm just not sure how much.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If you enjoy good plays, watch Willie Nylander dominate the competition in pre season games and in 3v3 OT (when he is engaged). Not many do it better.

"We" probably isn't the appropriate word here since everybody's different. Some peole say they won't watch at all, some say playoff failures have no effect on them watching, most are somewhere in between. For me personally, I know how we did in the playoffs has at least some effect on how much I enjoy watching the next regular season, I'm just not sure how much.

I tend to say that every year esp after the Habs series, but still end up watching as many games as I could.
Like years past, playoffs will be the true test for the boys.
One thing for sure is that as of today, I am not excited or look forward to the next season like I was in the past. This could all change with UFA signings or trades or coaching change though. Like if JT is traded for Miller in Vancouver or ROR resigns or Q replacing Keefe.

Reactions: ToneDog and nuck

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I tend to say that every year esp after the Habs series, but still end up watching as many games as I could.
Like years past, playoffs will be the true test for the boys.
One thing for sure is that as of today, I am not excited or look forward to the next season like I was in the past. This could all change with UFA signings or trades or coaching change though. Like if JT is traded for Miller in Vancouver or ROR resigns or Q replacing Keefe.
My anticipation level seems to go further down with each playoff disappointment and if they rollback the same core along with the same coach, it's hard for me understand how anyone could possibly be excited about the next 82 games.

Reactions: 613Leafer

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
All 2023 playoff goals

We've been through this. You keep preaching Marners PPG ( secondary assists per game in this situation).

None of his fancy plays worked. He collected assists on very basic plays. There is no reason to think any random player slotted into the same situation would perform worse.

If you disagree please point out all those brilliant plays he did setting up goals.

We can agree he can't shoot the puck, so surely with his all-time great PPG performance, the playmaking skills were on display? Right?

That's not a very long video.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
All 2023 playoff goals

Please pull up the videos of the times where he did make great plays and Matthews fired the puck into the moon or no where on target. Since we are nit picking. It goes both ways. You can’t shit on Marner and not shit on Matthews. If Matthews scores at least twice maybe that Florida series is different. You can look back to that Montreal Series, Marner gifted Matthews and Hyman beautiful passes and they missed or couldn’t bury past Price. Same thing in last years series against Tampa, how many times did Marner put it on a Tee for Matthews only for him to get robbed. Same in this years Florida series. At least Marner scored in both series.

Reactions: ACC1224

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Wtf......what a joke of a thread. He us our best player...in the playoffs as well as the regular season. So let's trade him and give him away for a number 3 D man and a couple of picks and hope we get a player half as good.

How about getting him a solid winger to play with who can hit and get him pucks back to create extra chances.

• Haha
Reactions: fan87

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Please pull up the videos of the times where he did make great plays and Matthews fired the puck into the moon or no where on target. Since we are nit picking. It goes both ways. You can’t shit on Marner and not shit on Matthews. If Matthews scores at least twice maybe that Florida series is different. You can look back to that Montreal Series, Marner gifted Matthews and Hyman beautiful passes and they missed or couldn’t bury past Price. Same thing in last years series against Tampa, how many times did Marner put it on a Tee for Matthews only for him to get robbed. Same in this years Florida series. At least Marner scored in both series.

Of course, you're going to get robbed if everyone and their mom know Mitch won't take the shot.

Matthews is not blameless I agree, he is the difference maker on this team.

Reactions: arso40

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Wtf......what a joke of a thread. He us our best player...in the playoffs as well as the regular season. So let's trade him and give him away for a number 3 D man and a couple of picks and hope we get a player half as good.

How about getting him a solid winger to play with who can hit and get him pucks back to create extra chances.
In game 3 against Florida (the biggest game of the year), instead of rising to the occasion he played like a scared teenager playing his first NHL game.

In that game, he was our worst player by far. Best player in the playoffs my ass.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
he hasn't been making 11m for 50gp. 30 points in 30 playoff games played since he has.
Mostly thanks to his teammates. He relies on his teammates to retrieve the puck for him, he relies on his teammates to create space for him, and he relies on others to screen the goalie for him. Things he doesn't himself do for his linemates. His role is basically chase the puck when it's moving and try to make passes.

Break down anyone of his points and they are a result of excellent plays by teammates, or he's on the pp.

He also sucks in big moments, he has more giveaways that led to goals against in big games, than plays that led to goals. Just this past year he once again did it when instead of clearing the zone he passed the puck up the center to Matthews who immediately had the puck stolen and it ended up in the net. What game was that again?

Tack that on to the 4 bonehead plays he had vs Montreal and Tampa from previous years.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
They would only all be making that much for one year then Tavares comes off the books and he either signs a hometown discount or we let him walk. It’s gonna be a one year cap crunch where we will have to play some rookies and bargain bin UFAs. Thankfully Knies will still be on his ELC.

I think we can get Willie for 8.5 x 8
Good luck getting Willy for that... He just witnessed his teammates, who are his age get paid 11 million while he got 7. His close friend Pastrnak is getting over 11.

Isn't going to happen and I won't blame him for shooting for the moon.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Leafs should just trade this playoffs disappearing win nothing loser now.

I would prefer Nylander. But he doesn't make enough money. Matthews ain't going anywhere. I think most fans would prefer Captain Boat Anchor, but he has that pesky NMC.

Which leaves Marner.

Squeeze Squash Applesauce

As a winger he should be, at most, the fourth most important player on the team anyway. After the #1C, #1D, and G. Marner is the second most important player on the Leafs.

How screwed up is that?

I really wish Marner gets traded. But first I'd like to see a change in management. I wouldn't trust these buffoons to manage a piss up in a brewery.

Let lone trading Marner.

Reactions: Arzak

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I think the issue, and it's not specific to Marner either, is what are his numbers in deciding games?

The issue specific to Marner was game one of the playoffs.
He looked out of place, we lost 7:3 and he collected 3 arbitrary assists on very basic Mitch plays.

I swear there are a couple of posters that prefer Marner's point totals to team success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad