• Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So based on where we are now in time, last years performance and a contract yet to come, how many goals would you expect from Matthews/year and then Nylander and finally Marner?
I would expect Matthews and Marner to be around 110 points each, Nylander around 90.

• Haha
Reactions: thewave and arso40

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
All of them.
<Yawn>.

Except we had to sit through the season thread of reading about how Marner was Gretzky? Anytime And anyone mentioned playoffs In that thread.. We would get mocking responses such as "lol playoffs!".... Or "just enjoy what he's doing in the season!".......now we sat through his terrible postseason for the 6th consecutive year and those same posters are now saying "shut this thread down until the season starts!"

Lol everyone it's pretty clear, to some posters.... The rule is "leave Marner alone". Thinking it's Paul and his brother though considering it's mainly two posters with this opinion.

Hint hint one is you.
BOOM!

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Except we had to sit through the season thread of reading about how Marner was Gretzky? Anytime And anyone mentioned playoffs In that thread.. We would get mocking responses such as "lol playoffs!".... Or "just enjoy what he's doing in the season!".......now we sat through his terrible postseason for the 6th consecutive year and those same posters are now saying "shut this thread down until the season starts!"

Lol everyone it's pretty clear, to some posters.... The rule is "leave Marner alone". Thinking it's Paul and his brother though considering it's mainly two posters with this opinion.

Hint hint one is you.

Never understood the Gretzky comparison...last time I checked, OV is still chasing Gretzky for the goal scoring record...Marner wishes he could slap the puck as hard as Gretzky or even score half as many goals...have people never seen Gretzky play when they make these kinds of dumb comparisons?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Never understood the Gretzky comparison...last time I checked, OV is still chasing Gretzky for the goal scoring record...Marner wishes he could slap the puck as hard as Gretzky or even score half as many goals...have people never seen Gretzky play when they make these kinds of dumb comparisons?
They said Gretzky himself made the comparison! But failed to realize it was taken out of context for click bait. Even if Gretzky did say it and mean it... You'd have to not know anything about hockey to take it seriously. If Mario Lemieux said Ryan Hollweg was as skilled as he is... Does that mean it's true?

Yep good times in the Marner Appreciation Thread.. He was actually compared to Wayne Gretzky!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Feels like the comment doesnt hold any weight, but the situation leads to his move being unlikely
Most players will say they want to stay where they are, but don't really mean it. His situation makes his statement much more likely to be true.

But it's very simple - if he won't waive, he can't be traded.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Compare like equals?...hell no. Compare as in a bit of a similar style...yep.

Gretzky my fave player of all time and nobody comes close to him and what he could do imo though Lemieux was a close 2nd. Clearly Marner is not comparable to Gretzky in so many ways but I will say when Marner first arrived on the leafs I saw some similar traits that made me think of 99. His passing, vision, iq were gretzkyish at times and still are...at times. Marner is a pretty smart player like 99 but unlike 99 Marner gets a little overwhelmed by the speed, tight checking and vicious intentions of opponents during the post season.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Hint hint one is you.

The shocker here is that it's clear to a minority of posters.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
He should take 8-9 because that's what he's worth. That's not the problem.

Matthews is worth 10-11, Marner is worth 8-9, and Tavares is worth 4-5. The three of them making anything over 30 is the problem.

Matthews 2x 60 goals 2x Rocket + Hart 10-11 is a bit too low, I don't think it's reasonable to expect less than Pasta despite the fact that his wrist might be an issue down the road.

Marner was 13th in points in his career year.

Don't get me wrong, I like it. This would make us more competitive, I just don't see why Marner and Matthews should be within $1M.

The PR Marner got is amazing.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
clear that he didn't have a terrible postseason

Did you even watch the 2023 Leafs playoff goals video? Marner was getting goals off slow motion shots from the point. Most of his passes were just quick dishes because he couldn't carry the puck. What did he do vs Florida? Nothing. Went to shambles.

He doesn't even have size or speed, it's all fancy passes that don't work in the PO and PP points.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
hate to get goals (in the playoffs) off point shots and quick dishes to open teammates. I need to see that that fancy stuff (that doesn't work in the playoffs)

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland

imo this is the best MM quick pass assist of the batch, keeps the play alive in the neutral zone too with a nice take on JT's grenade of a pass.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Watch the video. His regular season plays are much better because there is more time and space. He simply isn't built for PO hockey. He is however an entertaining regular season player.
He sure is fun to watch, my favorite is watching him kill penalties. I'm curious to see how next season will go. Will I be able to enjoy watching him as much as I did the last couple of seasons or will the stink of game 3 against FLA always be there in the back of my mind?

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Watch the video. His regular season plays are much better because there is more time and space. He simply isn't built for PO hockey. He is however an entertaining regular season player.
see I guess I just view it as, he adjusted pretty effectively to the reality of less time and space if he is not being as fancy and instead making quick dishes and finding space closer to the blueline and these adjustments are resulting in goals for. but anyway this is the same shit over and over. I like him, thought he was our best player in round 1 and a bit disappointing in round 2, especially game 3. I still think he had a good-not-great playoffs. I will survive if he gets traded.

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad