Votes: 420 67.5%
  • Keep Marner

Votes: 183 29.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'm impressed. You are really going to extremes to try to pretend that the goal was all Marner's work rather than anything but.

All he did after making a poor pass was to follow Willy and tap the puck that was put right on his stick over to Matty when he called for it.

His primary assist on the Leafs 3rd goal in the 7-3 loss was very similar.

- Matthews blocks pass attempt in defensive zone and puck deflects to Marner
- Marner skates a few strides but doesn't have acceleration to create space from opponent and opponent easily strips him of puck
- Matthews steals puck back and charges onto offensive zone feeding Marner
- Marner feeds puck back to Matthews who has two defenders on him immediately
- Matthews draws both defenders quickly, pulls an elite move in a phone booth and touch passes puck back to Marner while also tying up the defenders stick
- Marner makes the straight forward pass to Jarnkrok for goal
- Marner fans proceed to say wow primary assist Marner, but what has Matthews done?

7:19 of this highlight package:

Reactions: notDatsyuk

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
According to Sportlogiq data, Marner is among the absolute worst in the league at accelerating.
this is the issue in the playoffs; he's great east west but he needs to add some trunk strength and transition speed to his game and you'll see all these "playoff demons" vanish. It's such an easy tell when you watch him pick apart d zone coverage in the season and at times in the playoffs versus how Nylander just skates right by people creating match up nightmares for teams in the playoffs

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'm impressed. You are really going to extremes to try to pretend that the goal was all Marner's work rather than anything but.

All he did after making a poor pass was to follow Willy and tap the puck that was put right on his stick over to Matty when he called for it.
Here another similar play.

- Vasi passes puck to Mcdonagh who doesn't see Matthews closing
- Matthews lays a thunderous hit on Mcdonagh
- while falling after the hit, Matthews astutedly pokes puck to Marner
- Marner with space makes easy pass to Bunting for goal
- Marner fans on hfboards say Matthews sucks and Marner got a primary assist

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
Mate, you are so wrong that i don’t think I will continue discussing with you.

And someone here thinks MM is the only reason the Leafs is a good team. Not even notsince67 would make those claims.
If you watch the regular season last year, you would have seen marner. was awesome. Carried the team Matthews started playing well towards the end of the season. I'm pretty sure 95% of this board will agree with me. There is a reason the leafs run the power play through Mitch Marner and a top pk guy.

And once this team becomes a 3 to 4th round threat. Mariner Matthews, etc, will put up good playoff numbers. Hopefully the new GM can build a nice playoff roster for this team

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
Marner. Slow acceleration. Cant make time and space against good teams in the PO.

Should move on from him before he walks or becomes an albatros.
Why do you think he can during the regular season? And he has trouble during the playoffs.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Why do you think he can during the regular season? And he has trouble doing the playoffs.

The effort level is way down and not all teams have the matchups. As you progress the teams are better. They hit FL and they shut him down. Vas was crap in net for TB as well btw.

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
The effort level is way down and not all teams have the matchups. As you progress the teams are better. They hit FL and they shut him down. Vas was crap in net for TB as well btw.
If you Florida, who would you key on for the Leaf's in series? Would it be the guy that creates the "most" scoring chances for the Leaf's players Or someone else.? yes or no

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
Matthews.
Who runs the Leaf's player power play? It's basically up to Mitch Marner to find. the open guys on the PP And make things happen... So it would seem to me anyways that the. GM and coach want the puck on Marner stick as much as possible. And that goes for 5 on 5 play also. Other teams also know this.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Who runs the Leaf's player power play? It's basically up to Mitch Marner to find. the open guys on the PP And make things happen... So it would seem to me anyways that the. GM and coach want the puck on Marner stick as much as possible.
Agreed so you either try to prevent Marner from finding the open guy or you do not give him an open guy (Matty being the first) to pass to. For me, Matty is the guy you have to key on first. Mitch is second.

Reactions: the Mighty Oak

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
this is the issue in the playoffs; he's great east west but he needs to add some trunk strength and transition speed to his game and you'll see all these "playoff demons" vanish. It's such an easy tell when you watch him pick apart d zone coverage in the season and at times in the playoffs versus how Nylander just skates right by people creating match up nightmares for teams in the playoffs
The biggest difference in the playoffs is time and space.

In the regular season when Mitch has the puck he has a bit more time, and can make the fancy plays even when he's not moving much. In the playoffs, and particularly against Florida, as soon as he gets the puck there is a player right on him, usually with a hit.

Reactions: myleafs

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If you could trade him and Murray for something like Zegras and Gibson I might think about it, although Gibson might be a disaster.

But no, you don't trade him because the return is unlikely to be worth it.

Matthews and marner don't make the line-ups ... do they?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The biggest difference in the playoffs is time and space.

In the regular season when Mitch has the puck he has a bit more time, and can make the fancy plays even when he's not moving much. In the playoffs, and particularly against Florida, as soon as he gets the puck there is a player right on him, usually with a hit.
The question is why can’t MM makes adjustment like other great players in the playoffs, esp since he knows other teams are coming at him.

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
If you could trade him and Murray for something like Zegras and Gibson I might think about it, although Gibson might be a disaster.

But no, you don't trade him because the return is unlikely to be worth it.

Matthews and marner don't make the line-ups ... do they?
I dont think you get Zegras from the Ducks even for Mitch.

Reactions: ULF_55

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Agreed so you either try to prevent Marner from finding the open guy or you do not give him an open guy (Matty being the first) to pass to. For me, Matty is the guy you have to key on first. Mitch is second.
Or you just split AM and MM up into two different lines and see what happens. Even if that happens, teams will still zoom in on AM as their primary shutdown bc AM can score

I dont think you get Zegras from the Ducks even for Mitch.
I highly doubt that’s the case.

If that’s really the case, MM is massively over rated by the Leafsnation

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If you watch the regular season last year, you would have seen marner. was awesome. Carried the team Matthews started playing well towards the end of the season. I'm pretty sure 95% of this board will agree with me. There is a reason the leafs run the power play through Mitch Marner and a top pk guy.

And once this team becomes a 3 to 4th round threat. Mariner Matthews, etc, will put up good playoff numbers. Hopefully the new GM can build a nice playoff roster for this team
Why would MM and AM put up good numbers if the team is in the ECF or Finals if they can’t even do that in the 2nd round?

AM, MM and JT had shown nothing when the games matters most as a group. They had not elevate their games like other players being paid at their level. I hope that change this coming playoffs but it won’t be bc the rest of the team is better it will be bc they actually realize what they needed to do and went out and do them

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
Mitch will just find someone else or do it himself

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The question is why can’t MM makes adjustment like other great players in the playoffs, esp since he knows other teams are coming at him.
I think it's largely a lack of quick acceleration. Without the fast break foot speed he relies more on stickwork, which is easier to neutralize by being physical. If you go straight at him with the body he can't escape, and if you get the body but not the puck it doesn't matter as much.

With Nylander, if you go too hard for the hit he just avoids the check and keeps the puck.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think it's largely a lack of quick acceleration. Without the fast break foot speed he relies more on stickwork, which is easier to neutralize by being physical. If you go straight at him with the body he can't escape, and if you get the body but not the puck it doesn't matter as much.

With Nylander, if you go too hard for the hit he just avoids the check and keeps the puck.
Maybe MM needs to carry the luck less in playoffs and just make quick plays

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Why would MM and AM put up good numbers if the team is in the ECF or Finals if they can’t even do that in the 2nd round?

AM, MM and JT had shown nothing when the games matters most as a group. They had not elevate their games like other players being paid at their level. I hope that change this coming playoffs but it won’t be bc the rest of the team is better it will be bc they actually realize what they needed to do and went out and do them

I actually think theres some argument to support this, at least a bit. Not always true, but the first two rounds generally seem to be more physical to be than 3 and 4 to me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad