Votes: 420 67.6%
  • Keep Marner

Votes: 182 29.3%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Your points are fine. Nylander may fall off after a contract, but we could trade him for something kind of okay and then Marner could set up for another hostile negotiation and demand 13m. He isnt worth his current contract.
That's another issue with Marners contract. Except a big distraction through his UFA season. He now has all the leverage because of his NMC. There is no threat of being traded so it will likely be a distraction all the way until a week before UFA. If his last negotiations taught us anything... Expect to hear months of rumors of Marner home shopping in various other cities and desires to live a quiet life somewhere out of the spotlight.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not but I feel pretty confident saying it. The market keeps going up every year and he's not a bum. I think he gets to set his price.
Not being a bum isn't enough to get you 13m.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought we were talking about Marner. Yes, I expect Nylander to be in the $10M range.
If Nylander's worth around 10, hard to see Marner being worth 13.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I'd like to see Marner back with Tavares.

I don't think Nylander will skip a beat with Matthews and Marner has always had a strong chemistry with JT. JT is also playing very well and can help spark Marner. I've always thought a Bertuzzi-Tavares-Marner line would end up being a very strong line.
Along with Matthew knies and Willy

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Matthews has scored in what 3 out of 8 games, and first 2 games he scored hat-tricks.

Hard for some players to put up points if their linemate isn't scoring goals.

I'm not worried about marner.
But Tavares only scored in 2/11 games in the playoffs and he’s touted as a hero. It’s getting confusing!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I didn't say he's worth $13M, I said he'll likely get in that range from...someone.
First you said
"He's holding all the cards and someone's going to pay him that $13M guaranteed."

Then you said
"Let's just make a friendly bet with an online handshake at the end someone (maybe us) pays him as much as Matthews. Deal?"

That sounded to me like you were predicting he'd get (at least) $13M, sorry if I misunderstood.

Seems I am the one who misunderstood. Mitch at $13m is possible if he puts up 100+ points this year and next, otherwise you have to let him test the market.
I think it's possible that at least one team is willing to pay him that much, depending on how much the cap goes up. As a Leaf fan who is more interested in team playoff success than individual regular season stats, what I'd be willing to pay him depend a lot more on what he does in the playoffs.

Mitch has slow starts. He'll ramp up his production and then flirt with 100 points. Real test, like with everyone else, will be the playoffs.
This, this and this!

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Mitch has slow starts. He'll ramp up his production and then flirt with 100 points. Real test, like with everyone else, will be the playoffs.

Mitch production :).

He's not producing, he'll collect assists on the line with 60-goal scorrer.

We got non-scoring winger on line with the best goal scorer, it's shocker he is useless when Matty is not scoring hattricks. Hopefully he'll start scoring soon so we can pretend Marner got something to do with it.

He would be a 60p player in Arizona trying to carry his line and jokers hear want to give him 13M.

He is not worth 11M he is getting now.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
First you said
"He's holding all the cards and someone's going to pay him that $13M guaranteed."

Then you said
"Let's just make a friendly bet with an online handshake at the end someone (maybe us) pays him as much as Matthews. Deal?"

That sounded to me like you were predicting he'd get (at least) $13M, sorry if I misunderstood.

I was responding to someone claiming I said he *deserved* $13M which is not what I said. I'm still willing to make the friendly bet though. I'm claiming my unsubstantiated belief is that someone is going to pay Mitch Marner somewhere near $13M. Is it a bet?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I was responding to someone claiming I said he *deserved* $13M which is not what I said. I'm still willing to make the friendly bet though. I'm claiming my unsubstantiated belief is that someone is going to pay Mitch Marner somewhere near $13M. Is it a bet?
Not really interested in any "bets". I already said someone might pay him 13, I was just trying to clarify what you said.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
All I'm saying is that Marner's production plummets when the pressure is cranked up, the numbers don't lie.

Just wanted to point out that in game 7s when the pressure is the absolute highest, Kucherov has 0 points in 6 games.

I guess we can all agree that Kucherov may be one of the worst players when the pressure is cranked up, since numbers don't lie.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't think he'll get that much. IMO, he'll sign 8 years at pretty much what he's making now, perhaps a minimal increase.

(A lot can happen in 2 years though)

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Just wanted to point out that in game 7s when the pressure is the absolute highest, Kucherov has 0 points in 6 games.

I guess we can all agree that Kucherov may be one of the worst players when the pressure is cranked up, since numbers don't lie.
I don't recall Kucherov throwing multiple pucks over the glass for penalties in his game 7's.

I DO recall Kucherov winning 2 cups, a Hart trophy, an Art Ross trophy (128 points), a Ted Lindsey trophy, 3 times 100+ point seasons, all those things Mitch could only dream of at the moment

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I don't recall Kucherov throwing multiple pucks over the glass for penalties in his game 7's.

I DO recall Kucherov winning 2 cups, a Hart trophy, an Art Ross trophy (128 points), a Ted Lindsey trophy, 3 times 100+ point seasons, all those things Mitch could only dream of at the moment

Numbers don't lie like the original poster said, a no-show when it matters most.

I won't respond to the first message because it is pointless.

Cups are team awards and he has fewer individual awards than Matthews, so is Matthews off the hook?

This was more to illustrate that games get tighter at the end of the series and this isn't a unique problem to Marner, I think Crosby is another one who drops off a fair bit towards the end of a series.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

How are we equating over the glass penalties to NOT SCORING in game 7’s. Being a star player and laying a goose egg on the score sheet is 100% worse.

Tired of you guys picking and choosing when things matter. Kucherov is one of the worst superstars in deciding games and it’s not even funny. We can’t apply one set of standards to Marner and then completely disregard them when it comes to another star player. That’s hypocritical.

Also you guys act like other star players don’t take stupid penalties when they do. Hooking, puck over glass, tripping, it’s all the same. It equates two minutes. The guy hasn’t done it in a few years so why do we keep bringing it up.

I don't think he'll get that much. IMO, he'll sign 8 years at pretty much what he's making now, perhaps a minimal increase.

(A lot can happen in 2 years though)

Exactly I think Marner signs 8 years at 11.5 or 11. Marginal increase somewhere between $600k to 800k

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Good enough for me. Have a great day.
:cheers:

You sang this song before and I pointed out some of the flaws in this "argument", have you forgotten already? But if shitting on Kucherov makes you feel better, have at it.

Reactions: supermann_98

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yes but you'd have needed a crystal ball to know he wouldn't have worked out after what he had done in Florida. There is no bad player evaluation at all in that instance, it wasn't a 1 off career year, going further back like 5 years, I think Huberdeau actually outproduces both Matthews and Marner, there was a solid body of work to go off of.

Huberdeau was a pending UFA going into the season and Treliving worked to extend both Weegar and Huberdeau to have something to show for Tkachuk. Everyone praised the work Treliving did at the time because he clearly had instructions to be competitive versus rebuild in the return and turned it into another top line winger and at worst, top 4 RD.

The fact executives are saying Marner's contract is an outlier and won't accept it as a comp in player negotiations kind of says it all. I don't know how we go much higher on Marner's next contract. 60 goal scorer Pastrnak was well aware the cap was going up and signed for 8 years at 11.25M and Marner's been making 10.9Mish for quite some time, hard to move much higher.

Zito seemed to know that Huberdeau was not going to continue that scoring... there is no way he thought he was giving up a more productive player + Weeger + a 1st.

I'd be curious to see which GMs are being quoted as saying that, sources would be great.

Also overpaying for a UFA doesn't seem to ever work, so there is that, I'd rather overpay Marner than Huberdeau. Unless, are people fine with Tavares' contract now?

I don't think Marner will be paid much more than he is now... probably around the same CH%.

The difference in the cap for teams between when Pastrnak and Marner signed is going to be 8.5 million (according to CapFriendly), so if they signed the same contract, it is going to be about a one million dollar difference.

:cheers:

You sang this song before and I pointed out some of the flaws in this "argument", have you forgotten already? But if shitting on Kucherov makes you feel better, have at it.

I remember a bunch of half-baked, terrible arguments, but not much else.

I have no feelings involved in this so I feel the same as before.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Also you guys act like other star players don’t take stupid penalties when they do. Hooking, puck over glass, tripping, it’s all the same. It equates two minutes. The guy hasn’t done it in a few years so why do we keep bringing it up.
I think it's because one of the biggest Marner fanboys here keeps saying "because he once flipped the puck over the glass 5 years ago" as if that's the only thing anyone could possibly find to criticize about Marner which is one of the more absurd straw man arguments you could think of.

He did it 5 times in the playoffs in a 4 year span, sometimes at really important moments. The rest of the team combined did it 6 times during so it's a pretty insane stat. But like you said (and as I also said the other day), he didn't do it the last 2 playoffs and hopefully he won't do it again. And it's that one Marner fanboy who keeps bringing it up, he keeps lying about it (5 times in 4 playoffs from 2018-2021 becomes "once 5 years ago" the way he tells the story and, he keeps repeating the same lie so if you're tired of hearing about it, maybe tell the guy to stop with the stupid lies and then people won't feel the need to set the record straight.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Zito seemed to know that Huberdeau was not going to continue that scoring... there is no way he thought he was giving up a more productive player + Weeger + a 1st.

I'd be curious to see which GMs are being quoted as saying that, sources would be great.

Also overpaying for a UFA doesn't seem to ever work, so there is that, I'd rather overpay Marner than Huberdeau. Unless, are people fine with Tavares' contract now?

I don't think Marner will be paid much more than he is now... probably around the same CH%.

The difference in the cap for teams between when Pastrnak and Marner signed is going to be 8.5 million (according to CapFriendly), so if they signed the same contract, it is going to be about a one million dollar difference.

I remember a bunch of half-baked, terrible arguments, but not much else.

I have no feelings involved in this so I feel the same as before.

1698698453902.png

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
How are we equating over the glass penalties to NOT SCORING in game 7’s. Being a star player and laying a goose egg on the score sheet is 100% worse.

Tired of you guys picking and choosing when things matter. Kucherov is one of the worst superstars in deciding games and it’s not even funny. We can’t apply one set of standards to Marner and then completely disregard them when it comes to another star player. That’s hypocritical.

Exactly I think Marner signs 8 years at 11.5 or 11. Marginal increase somewhere between $600k to 800k
A raise for arguably getting worst?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah the puck over the glass has always been one of the dumber things brought up. Haters will grab on to any insignificant nugget they can dream up. Pretty sad.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Yeah the puck over the glass has always been one of the dumber things brought up. Haters will grab on to any insignificant nugget they can dream up. Pretty sad.

Getting stupid penalties in playoffs.

If you think that's insignificant, you're not cheering for the Leafs to with the Cup, but that's your choice.

Dream up is just you trying to deny reality, Marner definitely got the puck over the glass 5 times, he is that scared out there.

Some of you are not watching Leafs hockey, just MM advanced stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad