Votes: 420 67.6%
  • Keep Marner

Votes: 182 29.3%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
Wait for him to get hot, then ask him to waive his NMC. Pay Nylander.

Please get a great defenseman.

I can't trust his play style. It's soft, got no shot, he isn't fast, and his high IQ often produces turnovers with brainless plays. I could care less about his PK ability when he can't score legit goals in the playoffs that aren't luck or garbage time.

Guys, he's playing with Auston Matthews, if he can drag Tavares to many points sure I'll be a believer.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He's been completely useless this season. Actually hurting us mostly and Matthews is propping him up stats wise.
He has just two primary assists at even strength, both on Matthews goals. Big whoop. This is the 11 million dollar "playmaker", who is exempt from being judged on goal scorer stats because of his incredible level of playmaking ability (also has been compared to Gretzky).

He has 7 points in 8 games. Needs to produce at a 1.62 clip here on out to hit 120 points "some" predicted. Looks like another <100 point season for the 11 million dollar winger.

I remember a few years ago suggesting we try to trade him for J.Hughes... And being told by certain posters that Marner was the better player. Good times.

Hughes has 18 points. Marner 7 (3 at even strength).

Last edited:

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Trade him for a prime top pair d-man.

I’m at the point where I honestly believe his type of game will never be effective in the playoffs. He’ll eventually get his shit together during the regular season but his idiotic fancy moves won’t work then and haven’t in the past. Add to that he’ll want to be even more overpaid on his next contract.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He's gonna need to be a lot better offensively.

Mind you a down year would actually be pretty cool, try and dampen some of those ridiculous contract demands you know he's gonna come with come next offseason.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Ok if Marner hit UFA today, what would folks around here estimate would be the highest offer he'd get?

How much more than his current contract would he get?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He's gonna need to be a lot better offensively.

Mind you a down year would actually be pretty cool, try and dampen some of those ridiculous contract demands you know he's gonna come with come next offseason.
This. Ideal would be something like an 84 point season, followed by him being uncharacteristically consistent and awesome in the playoffs, producing in elimination games and helping us go deep. That way we could resign him for no more than he's making now because 84 point isn't that impressive and I'm told that when it comes to contract negotiations, playoffs don't matter. :)

Ok if Marner hit UFA today, what would folks around here estimate would be the highest offer he'd get?

Depends. A small market shitty team desperate to sell tickets might be willing to offer more than he's making now. Hard to see any team with cup aspirations doing that though.

Reactions: IPS

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

I don't think he deserves a raise but I also didn't think Matthews did either and that wasn't even UFA.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
He was our worst player.

Your 11M winger. Was your worst.
Worse than min wage guys.

He makes more than Mcdavid/Marchand/Pasta/Drai/TKachuk.

Let that sink in. Ship him away ASAP
He doesn't make more money than McDavid or Pastrnak and he won't make more money than Draisatl for long imo.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
You guys are funny. Marner has 7 points after 8 games. After 16 games he will probably have 20 points, and then everyone will love him again. By the end of the season, he will be in his usual 95-100 point range.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You guys are funny. Marner has 7 points after 8 games. After 16 games he will probably have 20 points, and then everyone will love him again. By the end of the season, he will be in his usual 95-100 point range.
Something like that. The more important question is - what will he do in the playoffs?

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
He doesn't make more money than McDavid or Pastrnak and he won't make more money than Draisatl for long imo.

Technically you're not wrong ,potential UFA Pasta with 61 goals, 113 points and 13 GWG is making $300K more than Marner on his RFA contract.

RFA Marner 10.903
UFA Pasta 11.250

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
How many 2nd assist. How many even strength.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Average more than a point per game and likely play the most minutes of any forward on the team.

Come on, just watch all his 2023 playoff points again. Show me one assist that was result of his high level playmaking? One assist where you can't replace Marner with just any player and expect that situation to result in a goal. I'll wait

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
All true except the everyone will love him again part. The blind hate will rage on for some, such a weird bunch.

How many 2nd assist. How many even strength.
:laugh: Exhibit A.
He can’t even get the right kind of points.

Reactions: Yall are crazy

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I don’t think this true at all. Marner hit the 90 point plateau before Matthews and hit it without playing with Matthews.
In 2019, When Marner first hit 90 points, it was while playing with 28 year old, two time hart finalist John Tavares, which was essentially a prime Matthews at that time. He also played with Zach Hyman, whose proven to be an excellent 1st line support winger.

Matthews was injured part of 2019, and he according to advanced stats websites, he played primarily with rookies, Kapanen, Johnsson and senior citizen, Marleau. Matthews still paced 47 goals and 88 points in 2019 despite significantly worse linemates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad