• Keep Marner

Votes: 182 29.3%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 19 3.1%

• Total voters

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
Said this in the GTD.

I feel like Mitch got rich, got married ,got happy and is now coasting in life.

Am I wrong?

I can understand why you might think that, but I don't agree with you. I think Mitch is putting in full effort, but his reluctance to engage physically comes off as him being disinterested.

He's a really good player, with obvious holes in his game. I fail to see improvements in his game. He's the same, average skating, non-physical, pass first winger as he's always been.

On the other hand, Nylander just seems to get better every year. I'd take Nylander over Marner, especially when Nylander costs less.

I do wish we'd been able to unload Marner's contract before the start of this season. I think there's more value in overhauling/updating our blueline.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Marner and nylander when they hadmve succes, its when they are rushing the net, cut in middle ice and forcing d to make quick decision, quick play. Thats what nylander doing right now. When they are struggling, they stay in perepheric, trying low % play for the corner and doesn't look great. Like its the case for marner right now.

Its not about intensity, its not about work... its about positioning and decision with/without the puck. Probably in 2 month it will be the opposite. We will talk about how great marner id and how bad is nylander...

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
So many arguments on this thread, but I think we can sum up things with Marner in this manner:
1. Regardless of how he has started this season, he’s a super skilled and talented player and I’m fairly certain he will start to dominate the way he normally does in the regular season (I would be surprised if this didn’t happen )
2. Moving on from him should be a consideration due to his inability to raise his game or even play to his expected level in pressure situations. No question when you’re paying someone as much as we pay him and will have to pay him, he needs to deliver in the big moments - see Joe Thornton

Last edited:

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011
Said this in the GTD.

Am I wrong?
100 per cent. If he was coasting, he would have started the moment he cashed his first big paycheque 5 years ago. Why do people always assume that getting married means you're suddenly less interested in your job or career? If anything, you should have more motivation. It's another person in your corner who for sure wants to make sure those big fat stacks continue to roll in...so you better NOT be slacking off...MISTER!
Marner has always been a slow starter anyway, since his first camp. So yeah...yer wrong.

Reactions: francis246

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner and nylander when they hadmve succes, its when they are rushing the net, cut in middle ice and forcing d to make quick decision, quick play. Thats what nylander doing right now. When they are struggling, they stay in perepheric, trying low % play for the corner and doesn't look great. Like its the case for marner right now.

Its not about intensity, its not about work... its about positioning and decision with/without the puck. Probably in 2 month it will be the opposite. We will talk about how great marner id and how bad is nylander...
:laugh: Yeah right. He's been abused pretty much since Day 1.

Reactions: diceman934

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
:laugh: Yeah right. He's been abused pretty much since Day 1.

Is he playing like a $11M player now?

Let me guess anything you don't deem cheerfully enough for Mitch to read is an abuse right?

GO MITCH GO ?

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
Said this in the GTD.

Am I wrong?
I don't think he's coasting, but I don't think we can have a playoff team with him at $10+M.

He's an underperformer at best and a liability at nominal.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
I think Mitch feels he doesn’t get the recognition he deserves . I think he wants to win an award like the selke and by doing so he is now concentrating more on the defensive side of the game.

We must as a fan base appreciate that Mitch is a selke candidate and still put up a PPG or better. That is incredible hockey IQ on every shift.

Reactions: Yall are crazy

Yall are crazy

Dec 11, 2022
The numbers don’t matter at this point lol, all you need to realize Marner is never going to be a playoff factor is the 30 second clip of Tkachuk punching him in the face and Marner looking like he’s about to cry.

Mind you, not because the punches hurt, but because Marner still saw Tkachuk as a friend first that just happens to play for the other team, Tkachuk saw Marner as an obstacle between him and a cup that needed to be dismantled by any means necessary. Marner looked genuinely shocked and hurt that his friend Tkachuk would do something like that to him.
Lol no he didn't, they literally were laughing

Reactions: Dekes For Days

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Something definitely seems off with Mitch this year. He seems slower and definitely less involved. In previous years, he was puck hungry, always creating plays, going after the puck, etc. For whatever reason this year, he seems hesitant and falls back off the play constantly. I don't know if it's a new system but he's definitely not the same player as years past.

I think we need to understand and accept that it is impossible to sustain a high-level of play every year. You are going to have shitty years or shitty periods of play. Matthews went through something similar last year. Sometimes you just end up fighting early on and have to battle through it. Lots of star players go through this. McDavid is going through it this year, MacKinnon has gone through it in the past, Stamkos has, Matthews has, Rielly has. It’s a part of sports. Hopefully he finds his gear and plays better sooner than later.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I think we need to understand and accept that it is impossible to sustain a high-level of play every year. You are going to have shitty years or shitty periods of play. Matthews went through something similar last year. Sometimes you just end up fighting early on and have to battle through it. Lots of star players go through this. McDavid is going through it this year, MacKinnon has gone through it in the past, Stamkos has, Matthews has, Rielly has. It’s a part of sports. Hopefully he finds his gear and plays better sooner than later.
While I understand what you're saying, the players you gave examples of are horrible examples. Matthews was hurt throughout the year with his wrist, Mcdavid has been out the last week with an injury but was producing when he was playing, Stamkos is 33 and even then has never really struggled and pretty much has been a ppg player his whole career. MacKinnon went through it his first 2 years in the league when he was 19, since then he's been phenomenal every year.

Yall are crazy

Dec 11, 2022
ok bolded part is a bit of hyperbole

Goals allowed on pk per 60 - listed only players with at least 400 PK min, hence why statistically he is your worst option. No doubt this stat could use more context, if we are down 3-1 in the third we want him to cheat for offence, on the other hand up 3-2 we rather he defend.

That's the issue with fancy stats. While useful it is kind of a circle jerk and I suspect he must know that shot at about 5 MpH got no chance of beating a goalie, but it does wonders for your possession/advanced stats.
ThTs funny as he ranked around number 42 I. Hardest shots in the league at 91 mph. You haters never tell the truth

• Haha
Reactions: Arzak

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Said this in the GTD.

Am I wrong?

I don't think so. He has big contract to play for but i do worry that he will get that and go down hill for other reasons. He is slow, weak, scared in intense situations. He is good when people let him do his thing unscathed.

He doesn't seem to be hucking as many products this year.

Reactions: Kazparov

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
I don't think so. He has big contract to play for but i do worry that he will get that and go down hill for other reasons. He is slow, weak, scared in intense situations. He is good when people let him do his thing unscathed.

He doesn't seem to be hucking as many products this year.
He had his whole wedding made into a Instagram ad. I think just based off all his posts this summer, the guy probably didn’t work very hard this summer. He’s does historically start slow though .

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
While I understand what you're saying, the players you gave examples of are horrible examples. Matthews was hurt throughout the year with his wrist, Mcdavid has been out the last week with an injury but was producing when he was playing, Stamkos is 33 and even then has never really struggled and pretty much has been a ppg player his whole career. MacKinnon went through it his first 2 years in the league when he was 19, since then he's been phenomenal every year.

I’m talking about getting off to slow starts. Lots of superstars have not looked dominant to start the year. And yeah I get Matthews was injured but I think that was a small part of it. Last year was legit a down year for Matthews.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think Mitch feels he doesn’t get the recognition he deserves . I think he wants to win an award like the selke and by doing so he is now concentrating more on the defensive side of the game.

We must as a fan base appreciate that Mitch is a selke candidate and still put up a PPG or better. That is incredible hockey IQ on every shift.
He won't win the Selke. Wingers never do. Faceoffs come into the equation, and defensive responsibilities playing center is much more difficult than winger. Pay close attention to wingers vs centers in the defensive zone during a game and becomes evident quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad