Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Game impact is being over looked when it comes to the cap space issues.

If you don't own a Marner, you can get equivalent impact through having multiple players a tier or 2 below him. 2 tiers below is actually pushing it.

However to meet this game impact, the total cap hit will most likely equal or exceed Marners cap hit.

So why try to re-invent the wheel when you already have that impact............
Because of his tendency to look and play disinterested in the playoffs.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Toxic for Marner and thus, the team. Marner has a Social Media Defense Team FFS. He's obviously way too sensitive.

I know you're smarter than this.

So you admit you know him personally and are thus biased?

I don’t know Marner personally. My brother does. I’ve met Marner a few times at various MLSE charity events or leafs events I’ve been invited to. But I wouldn’t say I know him well. He was nice to me, so was Willy. Auston gave me a signed jersey that I have framed. I’ve met most of the guys. They are all nice people and make time for a quick convo. Haven’t met a leaf that I didn’t find nice in person.

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
There certainly are two factors at play here.

53% of the cap spent on four players that the more I see, the less inclined I am to believe any of them will ever get their name on the Cup.
I agree for the most part with you. Where I might disagree is IF, and it's a big IF, Matthews can play to the level he played in game 2 vs Boston (which I feel was close to the way McDavid plays), then he could. And not having Shanahan in charge of how this team is constructed will go a long ways in achieving this.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Ssshhh, you might upset Dubas supporters lurking in the shadows around here who still thinks he's amazing, and not the big failure of a GM that he is.

Don’t think Dubas is amazing. But the players got the NMC those years because that’s when they were eligible to have them in their contract. The last two years. You have to be a certain age/have played a certain amount of years to get NMC’s. That’s why only the last two years of the deals have NMC’s, it wouldn’t have been possible to do it other way around on our guys post ELC contracts.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
No, havnt you heard it’s just bad luck, Covid, goalied or injured

Pretending like those things haven’t impacted success is also a bad idea. The leafs management has brought a lot of it on themselves. But Covid definitely derailed their plans.

Andersen getting injured/refusing to play against Montreal was brutal. Imagine we had him healthy and in the right mindset to play, we probably close out that series.

Tavares getting injured in game 1 in the fashion he did sucked ass.

Woll getting injured this year right before game 7. So having to play Samsonov.

This past year Matthews and Nylander not at one hundred percent. They aren’t excuses.

These are things that have actually impacted winning but you gotta find a way to move past those issues.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Pretending like those things haven’t impacted success is also a bad idea. The leafs management has brought a lot of it on themselves. But Covid definitely derailed their plans.

Andersen getting injured/refusing to play against Montreal was brutal. Imagine we had him healthy and in the right mindset to play, we probably close out that series.

This past year Matthews and Nylander not at one hundred percent. They aren’t excuses.

These are things that have actually impacted winning but you gotta find a way to move past those issues.
I agree you last statement is true. Some posters (not you) seem to excuse the failures for those reasons. Good teams(winners power thru that) but our core, coach and management haven’t managed to do that.
Maybe it might be easier if the money and quality of players was more equally distributed. Instead of 4 11 million plus maybe 2 might be the ticket

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
More examples of Marner stat boosting power. This time for Matthews vs other linemates

Season 2023 and 2024- 2 seasons of data.

Matthews 5vs5 points per 60 with linemate:

Matthews w/Marner - 2.43 1200min
Matthews w/Nylander - 3.25 775min
Matthews w/Bunting- 2.93 735 min
Matthews w/Bertuzzi - 3.35 322 min
Matthews w/Jarnkok- 2.78- 450 min
Matthews w/Domi - 4.93 206 mins
So the P/60 ratio tends to lower as the time together increases. What a surprise!

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I agree you last statement is true. Some posters (not you) seem to excuse the failures for those reasons. Good teams(winners power thru that) but our core, coach and management haven’t managed to do that.
Maybe it might be easier if the money and quality of players was more equally distributed. Instead of 4 11 million plus maybe 2 might be the ticket

Not having depth is a big problem.. I think it’s also naive to believe that this core will magically get will magically get it done. They haven’t proven otherwise. But honestly all it takes is for one good playoffs for the narrative to change. I hope for all our sakes they give us the playoffs of a lifetime this year. Would be nice to see everyone come together for a long playoff run. Tired of arguing lmao

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I agree for the most part with you. Where I might disagree is IF, and it's a big IF, Matthews can play to the level he played in game 2 vs Boston (which I feel was close to the way McDavid plays), then he could. And not having Shanahan in charge of how this team is constructed will go a long ways in achieving this.
Maybe when he’s older and moves on he might, but I think there’s too many red flags to think he’ll lead a team right now.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nylander got Full NMC unfortunately. But I believe Nylander got that because of how much he sacrificed in the last negotiations. Don’t think he was conceding anything this go around.

Here in lies the problem, they have all three of these guys everything last time. Now it feels like you’re taking away when really as a GM you’re just better trying to posture yourself. I don’t know how they can win a Marner deal unless he stays inbetween 10.93 and 11.5 on an 8-year deal
I don't think he sacrificed the first time, he sat out and got everything he wanted.

This was the chance for Treliving to take back control of the team either by moving Nylander/Marner while the window was open or by re-signing Nylander to a reasonable number with less trade restrictions. I was hopeful he would handle things better than he did.

Reactions: francis246

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Don’t think Dubas is amazing. But the players got the NMC those years because that’s when they were eligible to have them in their contract. The last two years. You have to be a certain age/have played a certain amount of years to get NMC’s. That’s why only the last two years of the deals have NMC’s, it wouldn’t have been possible to do it other way around on our guys post ELC contracts.
sounds like pittsburgh is leary about dubas ,plus dubas has to sign crosby to a deal that will make his internal cap tough
he couldnt afford any of his so called CORE FOUR in pitts

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The thread is long. The road is short.
The situation as I understand it., forgive me if it’s already been discussed.

He has a no move contract.
Marner is betting on himself, so by that I mean not just points, we all know he can be a top offensive player in the league. He figures if they win the cup this year, the Leafs will move mountains sign him again. (especially with Tavares at the end of his contract)

The question is if he truly means he doesn’t want to play anywhere else, he knows the Leafs are up against the cap, will he sign a team friendly deal?

We will know how much he means it if he walks to free agency.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Mitch must be excited. He'll be with his new team in under a week.
Don't tease Leaf fans. We are so tired of these overpaid losers thinking we owe them. Marner is post prime. He is all downhill now. In the East the gap between top and bottom is closing in.I don't see this current version winning more than one round then Marner walks.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Marner is betting on himself, so by that I mean not just points, we all know he can be a top offensive player in the league. He figures if they win the cup this year, the Leafs will move mountains sign him again. (especially with Tavares at the end of his contract)

The question is if he truly means he doesn’t want to play anywhere else, he knows the Leafs are up against the cap, will he sign a team friendly deal?

Yup and I figure if I can find some magic beans, and get chiseled like Matt Barzel, I can have my choice of Swedish models. As it stands I only have a choice of swedish meatballs and the Leafs are not winning a cup any time soon. Sorry folks, that is the most likely reality.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
So the P/60 ratio tends to lower as the time together increases. What a surprise!

Aww... I'm sorry to disappoint your theory. Here's the Tavares one.. note less time didn't mean more P/60. Looks like it's just the Marner affect::

2020-2022 - 3 seasons of stats

Tavares 5vs5 points per 60 with linemate:

Tavares w/Marner - 1.79 -700 min

Tavares w/Nylander - 2.08- 1500min

Tavares w/Kerfoot - 2.3 - 1000 min

Tavares w/Hyman - 2.16 - 450 min

Tavares w/Mikheyev - 1.73-450 min

Just wanna show how Marner boosting players stats appears to be phony news.

If he's out there boosting linemates stats, shouldn't we see Tavares stats be the best with him and not among the lowest?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

As far as I am concerned, I want Leafs to hang this sign to Marner's camp for any contract talks they initiate

271922686.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog and arso40

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Maybe when he’s older and moves on he might, but I think there’s too many red flags to think he’ll lead a team right now.
I certainly have had my doubts, and you could very well be right. In the end, all we want is for the Leafs to win the Cup!

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That's why I said 'reported'. That's a number that 'insiders' have mentioned.
Yeah well, don't put much faith in guys that have to report something, not much different than guys on here. Now if there is a reporter out there who is always correct, well that may be different.

Secondly, its a negotiation, ask for all you want getting it is quite different.

Last edited:

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Aww... I'm sorry to disappoint your theory. Here's the Tavares one.. note less time didn't mean more P/60. Looks like it's just the Marner affect::
Any particular reason why you used 23-24 for the Matthews example and 20-22 for the JT example?

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

myleafs

May 25, 2021

Kinda sounds like thats exactly what it is

No way no how.....he wants to be a leaf but not that much.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad