Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Every point he collects is basic play anyone could make, every time he takes "a calculated" risk we have a highlight going the other way,

Yet they go on their high horse pointing out to other players to excuse Mitch. The best part is if footage of Mitch doing something great in playoffs existed, it would be all we see.

He’s had some nice little plays don’t get me wrong, that goal against Boston comes to mind. It’s just usually either too little too late or padding stats in a blow out. I can’t really think of too many tie game or within 1 moments where the pressure is high and Mitch makes a big play, I can think of a lot of those where he makes a horrendous play though.

We don’t need magic Mitch we just need a him to consistently complete fast simple passes that don’t expose us to unnecessary risk.

Reactions: arso40

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Every point he collects is basic play anyone could make, every time he takes "a calculated" risk we have a highlight going the other way,

Yet they go on their high horse pointing out to other players to excuse Mitch. The best part is if footage of Mitch doing something great in playoffs existed, it would be all we see.

They post videos of Marner working out in 2019 and blocking a shot from six years ago, but they don't realize that this actually weakens their argument. They can't find more recent plays to support their points, which undermines their case.

Reactions: arso40 and HolyCrap

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Can you show us some risks that Marner took that paid off in the playoffs? Preferably game winning ones to balance out all these game losers, I’m hoping you don’t show him picking up a PP assist late in a 7-2 blow out in game 2.

Here we go again... certain games dont matter and some do... where are those pesky goal posts again, they were moved?

PK lets play your stupid game

Risky pinch at the blue line and scores a goal

Banks if off Vas intentionally

Heart of a lion

There is more but if you are interested in eating humble pie.. there is this thing called YouTube .. do your own search.

I humbly await for your "Yeah but " response...

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Here we go again... certain games dont matter and some do... where are those pesky goal posts again, they were moved?

Heart of a lion

There is more but if you are interested in eating humble pie.. there is this thing called YouTube .. do your own search.

How is shooting on net on a 2 on 1 a high risk play? I’m assuming he can do that again in the future without needing to also make high risk plays inside his own blueline right? The pinch was the riskiest play of these and he had 3 guys behind him when he did it, I’m all for him taking these levels of risks, not so much pointless suicide passes inside his blueline when a simple chip off the boards is available.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

If that is the case, it is amazing that no one collects these points as much as him.

Why don't other players step up and collect these points? It makes no sense to me, this would help us win.

Reactions: francis246

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
What about stupid plays that led to gwgs against the Leafs in playoff games. Do those count?

Marner has at least 7... that's an incredible number, and certainly crippled his teams chances of winning the series.

@Hellcat @ACC1224

Here is the first one I'll show you. What's your thoughts on the "smartest player in the game's" play here. Look at all that space and time...and he flips it out of play. Montreal scored on the ensuing 2 man pp as a result.

Let me guess, you don't want to discuss?

Also add that Keefe's incredibly risky challenge on the Habs goal was what put them on the PK to begin with.

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If that is the case, it is amazing that no one collects these points as much as him.

Why don't other players step up and collect these points? It makes no sense to me, this would help us win.
He has 7 giveaways that have led to gwg against in 4 playoff years! Thats an increduble #, qnd backbreaking to his team. Especially considering the low scoring nature of Leaf playoff games. @Hellcat said it's common place for stars to have these giveaways
Yet I'm still waiting for hellcat to post ALL the giveaways by Tavares, Matthews and Nylander in the same time span. He seems to have avoided the question... must think that if he doesn't respond it didn't happen?

Last edited:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It's certainly a likely possibility. The organization has become a joke at this point and I'm resigned to the fact that we're going to keep failing until the next rebuild. I can only hope to love long enough for the next core group to go deep in the playoffs.
Posters go on and on about this nonsense and believe the organization is the joke. Organization, posters in this thread. I know which one I'm laughing at.

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Heart of a lion

This is all you got? You're shown 7 videos of Marner losing the game for the leafs in the past 4 postseason and your response is

1) a 6 year old video of him blocking a shot
2) 3 non risky plays. (1) One where two time ted lindsay finalist Austin Matthews does all the work to recover the puck and set up the two on one (see collecting points from elite linemates), (2) a stolen puck and a slap shot from the point
On the subsequent pp 3) a goal while down 3-0 to Boston with 14 mins left in the game.

Jeez... most elite players have this many highlights in one game, still doesn't come even remotely close to the 7 giveaways in critical games that led to gwg against....gwg means game winning goals btw. You probably think scoring a goal while down 3-0 with 14 mins left is comparable to a gwg.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He has 7 giveaways that have led to gwg against in 4 playoff years! Thats an increduble #, qnd backbreaking to his team. Especially considering the low scoring nature of Leaf playoff games. !@Hellcat said it's common place for stars to have these giveaways
Yet I'm still waiting for hellcat to post ALL the giveaways by Tavares, Matthews and Nylander in the same time span. He seems to have avoided the question... must think that if he doesn't respond it didn't happen?

Can you post all the Marner give aways?

I'm curious to see the 7, I don't remember that many.

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
I have to commend poster IPS. He nailed it when he said early on that Marner fanboys were quiet while he sucked in the playoffs, but give it a few weeks and they'll come out full force to defend him as if nothing happened and that he's awesome. Here we are in full daylight and they ain't shy about it.
Spot on, man, couldn’t have said it better. Every year it’s the same sh.t show, marneritis is real. Maybe there is a personal bias or they get paid through some PR firm?

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Marner is definitely the problem. You have to hate Leafs to claim otherwise.

@7M he might be tradeable, you still won't win with his scared antics and crying on the bench.

You can't win with Mitch playing 25min a game regardless of his cap.
I understand what you are saying, but at 7m you live with him and 90 points. Not many 90 point players
Dubas giving him shat he wanted is the problem, then they complicated it by giving WN a contract based on Mitchy.
Yes trade him, or let him walk, I can support that. His 10.9m can be better spent. But the Leafs allowed his daddy to convince them he was a top 10 player...

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
1-8 in playoff series. Nobody says that you have to face reality so go ahead and laugh.
Exactly. The Leafs are one of the biggest jokes not only in the NHL but pro sports. This team needs to change really fast and actually compete post season to gain any credibility. Sadly fans of players and not the team won’t understand this.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Exactly. The Leafs are one of the biggest jokes not only in the NHL but pro sports. This team needs to change really fast and actually compete post season to gain any credibility. Sadly fans of players and not the team won’t understand this.

I think everyone understands that. But bitching every chance you get isn’t going to magically make them better. I’ve posted this about 20,000 times. MLSE doesn’t give a shit what you personally think lol. If they did Marner would have been traded already. Yeah I want the leafs to win badly, I want them to get over their playoff woes but I also love the team and will support them through the ups and the downs. Bitching on a forum day in and day out isn’t going to make them better. Rational fans ultimately know that these decisions are not in our hands. What’s gonna be is gonna be. I’m not gonna let something I have no control over ruin my fandom or my daily life tbh.

If you want to be pissy about the leafs go do that (that’s your choice and it’s not wrong either) or stop watching the leafs and find something/another team that makes you happy, but stop expecting everyone to feel the way you guys do. People who like Marner and want him to remain a leaf are valid, people who don’t like Marner and want him gone are valid.

Anyone who thinks they have any influence on leafs decisions needs to see a shrink immediately lol.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I think everyone understands that. But bitching every chance you get isn’t going to magically make them better. I’ve posted this about 20,000 times. MLSE doesn’t give a shit what you personally think lol. If they did Marner would have been traded already. Yeah I want the leafs to win badly, I want them to get over their playoff woes but I also love the team and will support them through the ups and the downs. Bitching on a forum day in and day out isn’t going to make them better. Rational fans ultimately know that these decisions are not in our hands. What’s gonna be is gonna be. I’m not gonna let something I have no control over ruin my fandom or my daily life tbh.

If you want to be pissy about the leafs go do that (that’s your choice and it’s not wrong either) or stop watching the leafs and find something/another team that makes you happy, but stop expecting everyone to feel the way you guys do. People who like Marner and want him to remain a leaf are valid, people who don’t like Marner and want him gone are valid.

Anyone who thinks they have any influence on leafs decisions needs to see a shrink immediately lol.
I’m not pissy just making a statement. Also never said I was influencing MLsE as that’s idiotic. And I don’t expect everyone to feel the same as me (but most Leaf’s fans do). You Marnersites agendas are obvious. lol.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
@hellcatAnd @Confucius what about this play, game 6 OT vs Tampa? Marner from almost his own goal line tries to send a Hail Mary pass to Matthews.... but its WAY short and easily picked off by Tampa, who score the gwg. Before you blame Matthews for falling...stop the video at 7:20... Matthews was about 9 feet in front of the puck and Tampa has it on their stick. It was wayyyyy short.

@Confucius @Hellcat .... Whats your thoughts on ALL these vidoes of Marner losing the game for his teams in must win playoff games? And I emphasize the ALL... at least 7 times in just 4 postseasons! Absolutely crushed his teams chances all by himself.

Im looking forward to your breakdown of these plays.

Other than flipping the puck over the glass, I didn’t see anything glaring. The pass to Mathews was there not 9 feet away. And yeah it failed because Mathews fell. You posted another game 7 or Mitch does nothing. Well nobody on the team did anything in that clip. Boston had possession and scored.

Mitch has about 25 shifts a game, he’s played 57 playoff games so over 1,300 shifts. In that amount of time, he will most certainly be on the ice some of the time the opposition scores. you posted 5 videos of supposedly glaring mistakes, somaybe 5 bad shifts in his playoff career, if there were more I’m sure you would have dug them up. When you can come up with 100 bad shifts, I’ll salute you.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
1-8 in playoff series. Nobody says that you have to face reality so go ahead and laugh.

So? While I enjoy following the Leafs and would love to see them do well, frankly, there a whole lot of things that if I was offered them but it meant the Leafs wouldn't win another Cup in my lifetime (or ever, for that matter), I wouldn't even need to think about it. I got to see the Jays win two World Series and I like baseball as much or maybe even more than hockey and honestly, it was fun but hardly life-changing. If the Jays had not won those World Series, my life wouldn't be much different.

I am probably completely wrong about this but I just can't help but look at fans who are desperate for their team to win as people with something big missing in their lives and they've convinced themselves that a championship for the sports team they live vicariously through is going to somehow fill. But I could be wrong, It could be a hole in my worldview or my understanding of people. Otherwise, I just can't understand why people would be so upset or so elated over a sports team's performance. This is assuming that they aren't gambling big money on that team's performance -- that I could understand.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I’m not pissy just making a statement. Also never said I was influencing MLsE as that’s idiotic. And I don’t expect everyone to feel the same as me (but most Leaf’s fans do). You Marnersites agendas are obvious. lol.

What agenda? You guys throw out words like agenda. An agenda would indicate that we have some influence over anything. So what agenda is there? if none of us have any control over anything leafs related. Use your head man.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He Is more likely to finally win soon like mackinnon than he is to always be a playoff flop. You don't lose players like Marner because you want cap space. So stupid to even consider that as a possibility.

Not even a correct possible way to explain how stupid that is in modern NHL
So the organization has decided they would like to move on from an unsuccessful core. However Mitch Marner is blocking that with his NMC

What do you do?

1) Play out the upcoming season and then re-sign him for whatever he wants ??
or
2) Let him walk and instead of paying him $12 mil you decide to invest that Cap in other player(s) (which is similar to a trade in cause and effect) ??

Last edited:
Reactions: HolyCrap

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Again, so? Why should I care about what other people think about the Leafs? Is your identity somewhow so much tied into the Toronto Maple Leafs that you feel like laughing at the Leafs is laughing at you? Otherwise, why would you care? The Leafs have been jokes before and they'll be jokes again -- just like pretty much any team.

And personally, I consider myself way, way more a fan of the team than of the players. Once, any Leaf is an ex-Leaf, they're nothing more than a passing curiosity.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
So the organization has decided they would like to move on from and unsuccessful core. However Mitch Marner is blocking that with his NMC

What do you do?

1) Play out the upcoming season and then re-sign him for whatever he wants ??
or
2) Let him walk and instead of paying him $12 mil you decide to invest that Cap in other player(s) (which is similar to a trade in cause and effect) ??

You can hope they might resign him with no NMC but the odds of buyers for potential trade are slim.

Let him walk rather than risking trapping yourself with Mitch for another decade.

But first, we should sit him for a month in his contract year, he'll wave fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad