Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So? While I enjoy following the Leafs and would love to see them do well, frankly, there a whole lot of things that if I was offered them but it meant the Leafs wouldn't win another Cup in my lifetime (or ever, for that matter), I wouldn't even need to think about it. I got to see the Jays win two World Series and I like baseball as much or maybe even more than hockey and honestly, it was fun but hardly life-changing. If the Jays had not won those World Series, my life wouldn't be much different.

I am probably completely wrong about this but I just can't help but look at fans who are desperate for their team to win as people with something big missing in their lives and they've convinced themselves that a championship for the sports team they live vicariously through is going to somehow fill. But I could be wrong, It could be a hole in my worldview or my understanding of people. Otherwise, I just can't understand why people would be so upset or so elated over a sports team's performance. This is assuming that they aren't gambling big money on that team's performance -- that I could understand.
I think it goes without saying that there are many things in life more important than hockey. Not sure what that has to do with Marner but if it makes you feel good to laugh at people who care more than you do, that is your right.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I’m not pissy just making a statement. Also never ksaid I was influencing MLsE as that’s idiotic. And I don’t expect everyone to feel the same as me (but most Leaf’s fans do). You Marnersites agendas are obvious. lol.
What's your evidence that most Leafs fans agree with you? I am not even sure if most Leaf fans on this board agree with you and even if they did, that's still a very small chunk of the fanbase? And just who are you including as a Leafs fan? My cousin's husband self-identifies as a Leafs fan, and he pretty much only watches them in the playoffs and last year, when I mentioned to him about Dubas being fired, he had no clue who I was talking about. But if you asked him what NHL team he cheered for, he'd say the Leafs.

That being said, you could be right that most Leafs agree with you, I don't know. I'm just not terribly fond of the arrogance shown by people who assume things to be true without appropriate evidence.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think everyone understands that. But bitching every chance you get isn’t going to magically make them better. I’ve posted this about 20,000 times. MLSE doesn’t give a shit what you personally think lol. If they did Marner would have been traded already. Yeah I want the leafs to win badly, I want them to get over their playoff woes but I also love the team and will support them through the ups and the downs. Bitching on a forum day in and day out isn’t going to make them better. Rational fans ultimately know that these decisions are not in our hands. What’s gonna be is gonna be. I’m not gonna let something I have no control over ruin my fandom or my daily life tbh.

If you want to be pissy about the leafs go do that (that’s your choice and it’s not wrong either) or stop watching the leafs and find something/another team that makes you happy, but stop expecting everyone to feel the way you guys do. People who like Marner and want him to remain a leaf are valid, people who don’t like Marner and want him gone are valid.

Anyone who thinks they have any influence on leafs decisions needs to see a shrink immediately lol.
Has anyone said otherwise? I only ask because the post you responded to didn't say that and I haven't seen anyone say that so I'm having trouble understanding your need to state the obvious.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
What's your evidence that most Leafs fans agree with you? I am not even sure if most Leaf fans on this board agree with you and even if they did, that's still a very small chunk of the fanbase? And just who are you including as a Leafs fan? My cousin's husband self-identifies as a Leafs fan, and he pretty much only watches them in the playoffs and last year, when I mentioned to him about Dubas being fired, he had no clue who I was talking about. But if you asked him what NHL team he cheered for, he'd say the Leafs.

That being said, you could be right that most Leafs agree with you, I don't know. I'm just not terribly fond of the arrogance shown by people who assume things to be true without appropriate evidence.
I meant fans who I know or talk to specifically. Tbh I don’t know any Leaf’s fan personally who are not on board with a change in the core.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I think it goes without saying that there are many things in life more important than hockey. Not sure what that has to do with Marner but if it makes you feel good to laugh at people who care more than you do, that is your right.
I just wish one of you could actually explain to me why it is so important to you. It's just seems like a worldview I can't wrap my head around.

I'll also admit, I'm very much a "what's next" kind of person. One thing is over. Time to move on to next.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Other than flipping the puck over the glass, I didn’t see anything glaring. The pass to Mathews was there not 9 feet away. And yeah it failed because Mathews fell. You posted another game 7 or Mitch does nothing. Well nobody on the team did anything in that clip. Boston had possession and scored.

Mitch has about 25 shifts a game, he’s played 57 playoff games so over 1,300 shifts. In that amount of time, he will most certainly be on the ice some of the time the opposition scores. you posted 5 videos of supposedly glaring mistakes, somaybe 5 bad shifts in his playoff career, if there were more I’m sure you would have dug them up. When you can come up with 100 bad shifts, I’ll salute you.
..... man you guys wonts stop with the bull^$%@.

See attached photo. Note that Matthews was skating towards Tampa goalie. Note that the puck in the photo is behind him. Also Note that the Tampa player just jumped off the bench and he's between Matthews and the puck. Matthews had no chance on this. How again was Matthews going to get this puck if clearly was WAY behind him and much closer to the Tampa player, who was also going the opposite direction with speed.

Looking forward to your explanation based on this photo. Did I photoshop it?

1720991644329.png

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
..... man you guys wont stop at the bull$%^&.

See attached photo. Note that Matthews was skating towards Tampa goalie. Note that the puck in the photo is behind him. Also Note that the Tampa player just jumped off the bench and he's between Matthews and the puck. Matthews had no chance on this. How again was Matthews going to get this puck if clearly was WAY behind him and much closer to the Tampa player, who was also going the opposite direction with speed.

View attachment 894914
I don’t even know what that photo suggests…geez man it must bother the hell out of you. lol!

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

They will probably quote some dumb Twitter poll that has 2000 responses lol. The fact of the matter is there’s no way to really know.

There’s hundreds of thousands of leafs fans all over the world. All of which have differing opinions and things they want to see happen with the team.

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I meant fans who I know or talk to specifically. Tbh I don’t know any Leaf’s fan personally who are not on board with a change in the core.
I do feel it strange that you think what your small group of acquaintances is any indication of the whole fanbase. Although, maybe I'm wrong. Your group of acquaintances could be large enough and have a strong enough demographic match with the whole fanbsae that their opinions actually do represent those of the whole fanbase.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I don’t even know what that photo suggests…geez man it must bother the hell out of you. lol!
.... lol now you don't know what the photo suggests?

Well explain to everyone what is confusing about this photo and we can help you along. @Hellcat your a very knowledgeable fan, what do you see in the photo?

It's a simple photo... matthews is 9' in front of the puck that Marner passed and the Tampa player is right over the puck intercepting it with speed. In hockey they call good passes "tape to tape" passes for a reason, and not "tape to 9' behind the player".

Leafs were toast... its eerily similar to the Montreal flip out of bounds a couple years before. Clearly Marner doesnt learn.

If you want to see something even more embarrassing watch Marner get caught flat footed and loose his stick while trying to defend the counter on the puck he just gift wrapped.

Here is the photo again, I've circled the puck to make it easier to see the distance between the puck and Matthews.

1720993854303.png

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I just wish one of you could actually explain to me why it is so important to you. It's just seems like a worldview I can't wrap my head around.

I'll also admit, I'm very much a "what's next" kind of person. One thing is over. Time to move on to next.
It's all relative - how important do you think it is to me exactly?

It's nowhere near as important to me as it used to be, I think that's just part of getting older. But I remember how important it used to be to me and I don't think that makes me someone with a faulty worldview or however you want to put it.

What's important to you? I mean other than family, friends etc. and caring about people and the world in general, what do you care about? People care about literally thousands of different things whether it's following sports, playing sports, reading books, writing books, looking at art, creating art, attending theatre, knitting, making jewellery, collecting jewellery, pottery, acting in theatre, meeting people, solving puzzles, creating puzzles, working out, I could go on and on and on and on. My question to you is, who decides what's important and what isn't? What do you care about and can you explain how whatever you care about is more important than following the Leafs?

IMHO that's something that everyone decides for themselves. If some sports team is the most important thing in someone's life, that's cool with me. Live your life, do whatever turns you on and as long as you're not interfering with other people living their lives, why would I care what you or anyone else cares about. You say you laugh at posters in this thread, I suppose I could ask you why you find people caring more than you do about the Leafs laughable but whatever, you're entitled to laugh at whatever you like.

As far as "what's next" goes, that seems like a strange thing for you to say. First of all, if you're still posting here then you haven't "moved on" have you? Being a Leaf fan is something that many of us are stuck with for life so there is no "next" and I would think that anyone who's been around this place as long as you have is well aware of this.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
.... lol now you don't know what the photo suggests?

Well explain to everyone what is confusing about this photo and we can help you along. @Hellcat your a very knowledgeable fan, what do you see in the photo?

It's a simple photo... matthews is 9' in front of the puck that Marner passed and the Tampa player is right over the puck intercepting it with speed. In hockey they call good passes "tape to tape" passes for a reason, and not "tape to 9' behind the player".

Leafs were toast... its eerily similar to the Montreal flip out of bounds a couple years before. Clearly Marner doesnt learn.

If you want to see something even more embarrassing watch Marner get caught flat footed and loose his stick while trying to defend the counter on the puck he just gift wrapped.
Last time.

I’m not even sure where the puck is in that photo, from that photo I can’t tell which way anybody is moving. Anyway, remembering from the video the puck was travelling towards Mathews, it got intercepted. If it indeed was nine feet from Mathews with his wingspan he could easily cover that distance had he not lost an edge. Shit happens pass failed, oh well. Dozens and dozens of failed opportunities every game.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Last time.

I’m not even sure where the puck is in that photo, from that photo I can’t tell which way anybody is moving. Anyway, remembering from the video the puck was travelling towards Mathews, it got intercepted. If it indeed was nine feet from Mathews with his wingspan he could easily cover that distance had he not lost an edge. Shit happens pass failed, oh well. Dozens and dozens of failed opportunities every game.
We'll here I've posted the photo with the puck circled. Now what are your thoughts? Still Matthews fault for falling?

Matthews was 9' in front of it, and the Tampa Bay player is intercepting it with speed going the opposite direction of Matthews. Matthews stood no chance.

1720994057668.png

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
We'll here I've posted the photo with the puck circled. Now what are your thoughts? Still Matthews fault for falling?

Matthews was 9' in front of it, and the Tampa Bay player is intercepting it with speed going the opposite direction of Matthews. Matthews stood no chance.

View attachment 894922
Yeah so the puck is heading right for Mathews, is it not? Mathews loses an edge, I’m not faulting him for that as I said shit happens. So the Tampa player intercepted the pass. Ok we know the result. It just failed to click. Run him out of town for that. Geez we run everybody out of town and fans wonder why we never win, why we never had a 500 goal scorer. Here is why, we never keep anyone long enough, so impatient.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I’m not pissy just making a statement. Also never said I was influencing MLsE as that’s idiotic. And I don’t expect everyone to feel the same as me (but most Leaf’s fans do). You Marnersites agendas are obvious. lol.

Most Leaf fans agree with you? There 2.1 million Leaf followers on Twitter, 1.3 million on FB. So you are telling me you've spoke with 1.3 million to 2.1 million people to determine their position on your feelings? Jesus the shit this pitch fork crowd makes up.

So your social network thinks the same? Who has ever heard of that before... shocked! "Most Leaf fans" is a hellofa lot different than the people in your social network...possible you might have surrounded yourself with an echo chamber?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Most Leaf fans agree with you? There 2.1 million Leaf followers on Twitter, 1.3 million on FB. So you are telling me you've spoke with 1.3 million to 2.1 million people to determine their position on your feelings? Jesus the shit this pitch fork crowd makes up.

So your social network thinks the same? Who has ever heard of that before... shocked! "Most Leaf fans" is a hellofa lot different than the people in your social network...possible you might have surrounded yourself with an echo chamber?

I think that if i was a fan. I may take a job that pays some money to disparage. The opponent.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
So the organization has decided they would like to move on from an unsuccessful core. However Mitch Marner is blocking that with his NMC

What do you do?

1) Play out the upcoming season and then re-sign him for whatever he wants ??
or
2) Let him walk and instead of paying him $12 mil you decide to invest that Cap in other player(s) (which is similar to a trade in cause and effect) ??
I keep him for 11, if he doesn’t take it so be it.

Reactions: hullsy47

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
..... man you guys wonts stop with the bull^$%@.

View attachment 894914
Even after giving away the puck, look how soft he is against Point. He loses his stick and then becomes a spectator in Overtime. Usually players who turn over the puck try to make up for it. Not the case for 16 on that play and the puck ends up in our net. That's Selke level defense baby.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Then a GM who is responsible to make his team better, says If we can make our team better we will .... That is WOW earthshaking news .. a GM is saying if he can make his strategically team better, he will... I'm SHOOOKED !!! A GM who is going to his job? CRAZY!!!!
I think you're surprised because we didn't have one for several years.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
They won't talk to Marner unless they receive an acceptable offer from a team Marner might waive for.
And they might have received one or more and they might have spoken to Marner and he might have told them 'no'.

Unless a deal has been made and all sides have agreed, we're not likely to be told anything.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
So the organization has decided they would like to move on from an unsuccessful core. However Mitch Marner is blocking that with his NMC

What do you do?

1) Play out the upcoming season and then re-sign him for whatever he wants ??
or
2) Let him walk and instead of paying him $12 mil you decide to invest that Cap in other player(s) (which is similar to a trade in cause and effect) ??

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Again, so? Why should I care about what other people think about the Leafs? Is your identity somewhow so much tied into the Toronto Maple Leafs that you feel like laughing at the Leafs is laughing at you? Otherwise, why would you care? The Leafs have been jokes before and they'll be jokes again -- just like pretty much any team.

And personally, I consider myself way, way more a fan of the team than of the players. Once, any Leaf is an ex-Leaf, they're nothing more than a passing curiosity.
Don’t you lie in bed at night tossing and turning because a Sens fan hates you and thinks we are a joke. lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad