Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If you didn't want to move Marner...you wouldn't let him take the harassment/heat he's currently taking.

If Marner had been approached about a new deal (as speculated) he could easily say, "my agent and Leafs are talking and I want to be here forever..we will see how's things go". He's no longer saying this (like he did at the end of the playoffs)...he's gone completely silent. If he was offered something, even low balled, at least he could relieve some of the heat on himself by saying we've talked about an extension.

Both sides are quiet.... obviously there is some tension between Treliving and Marner camp.

My opinion

Tree approached him... "Mitch controls alot of this whole thing" ... and Marners camp said absolutely not - hell no...hence Berube "looking forward to coaching him".

Not a very good negotiating tactic is it? I love your house and want to live there forever. Do you want to sell? How much?

LOL , right?

How much for the car?

I dunno I'm really desperate, I need to sell it right away, I'm really rich and I dont need the money so what ever you feel is fair I will take, I guess?

I dunno.. I'm so confused on the moving goal posts ... I think games 5 through 7 only count if you are Mitch ... Games 1 through 82 count for any other elite goal scorer... if you are not Mitch and have great playoff stats that counts but not for Mitch... he is selfish but yet clearly there are multiple videos of him blocking shots shots when the game is on the line but that does not count because .. Mitch. He comes back from a high ankle sprain but that does not count because ... Mitch... He scores at a PPG for the last 3 years and I guess a PPG is not good because ...Mitch... He is not focused on his nutrition and the gym.. except for all the news articles on Mitch's dedication to the gym and nutrition but those article do not count because ... Mitch... he is greedy and selfish except for his charities and his charity work but that does not count... because you guessed it ...Mitch ... he scores in bunches ..that is apparently bad but every other elite scorer does this that is good ... but not for Mitch ... aggregate career stats are not a good measurement for Mitch but they are for other players .... the team has failed 8 years in a row but it is only Mitch's fault.. the other guys get a pass because their name is not Mitch ... He cant shoot but his career shooting percentage is around 13%, 10% is generally considered good but not for Mitch... I guess that is supposed to make sense .... up is down down is up.... what is real anymore?

Good time to pause and take a look at this living legends HOF career.

(Club ranking)

445 career assists - 5th all time leader
0.79 assists per game - 2nd all time leader
639 points - 8th all time leader
110+ 8th all time leader
1.11 points per game 5th all time leader
51.7 Offensive point share 6th all time

As Brad says .. "We are lucky to have him" ... Kudos Mitch on your great career!
Let pause and look at this glorious contradiction.. or should I say "moving goal posts".

So it's a dumb negotiating tactic for Marner to say "I want to stay here"

But you want to highlight Treliving saying ,"Marner is a great player" to show that Treliving definitely wants Marner on his team AND CANT be a negotiating tactic? So you would expect Treliving to say "Marner sucks and I want to trade him as fast as I can"?

EXACTLY... many have said this, Treliving isnt going to broadcast that hes desperate to trade Marner. So OF COURSE hes going to call him a great player that we are lucky to have. But look at what he also says:

"Mitch controls a lot of this whole thing. If there's a way to make our team better, we're going to do it. But we're certainly not going to make a trade just so we can pound our chest and say, 'Look, we're different. '"

This is a message to gm's... "Marners available. We need to convince him to go to your team. We aren't giving him away - so don't waste my time and I won't waste yours"

Reactions: arso40 and ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
At this point, I'm firmly convinced that both Marner and Tavares will be resigned and they will simply keep trying year after year to break through, because that is the safe and conservative approach. Even if upper management changes, I don't think the approach will change.
Great and we will laugh and criticize them every May before they hit the golf course. I mean at this point, what else can you do but laugh. #f***ShannyandMLSEL.

"Mitch controls a lot of this whole thing. If there's a way to make our team better, we're going to do it. But we're certainly not going to make a trade just so we can pound our chest and say, 'Look, we're different. '"

and this one? What's your expert opinion?

@Hellcat Why...? they just made the finals and lost in game 7. That's your first clue.
At this point they are just trolling. Won the battle but hopefully not the war.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Great and we will laugh and criticize them every May before they hit the golf course. I mean at this point, what else can you do but laugh. #f***ShannyandMLSEL.

At this point they are just trolling. Won the battle but hopefully not the war.
Marner fans.... Marner is the best leaf because he has the most points!
Also Marner fans ..... Marner is so much better than Panarin!

Panarin - 82 gp 49 g 120 points 1.46 p/gp
Other team leaders-
Trocheck 77 points
Kreider - 75 points

Marner - 69 gp 26g 89 points 1.28 p/gp
Other team leaders:
Nylander - 98
Matthews - 107

Reactions: arso40 and ToneDog

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
At this point, I'm firmly convinced that both Marner and Tavares will be resigned and they will simply keep trying year after year to break through, because that is the safe and conservative approach. Even if upper management changes, I don't think the approach will change.
It's certainly a likely possibility. The organization has become a joke at this point and I'm resigned to the fact that we're going to keep failing until the next rebuild. I can only hope to love long enough for the next core group to go deep in the playoffs.

Reactions: Racer88

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Has his playoff performance, particularly games 5-7 been mentioned yet?

Only by the fools who think team accomplishments are more important than individual ones.
Exactly and I'm one of those "fools" who values team success over individual players compiling points. Marner's a proven playoff choker, simple as that and if that wasn't the case, we would have won a few more playoff rounds by now. Amazing that some people still worship this loser but what can I say, just another example of how one shouldn't underestimate how blind and naive some people can be.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Marner is not the problem.
1. His salary is a problem. At 7m you love him.
2. The cap is a problem, if there is no cap, not a problem
3. Once Dubas and Shanny overpaid Mitchy, they had to over pay Willie and AM.

Reactions: Bejeezus and arso40

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
He Is more likely to finally win soon like mackinnon than he is to always be a playoff flop. You don't lose players like Marner because you want cap space. So stupid to even consider that as a possibility.

Not even a correct possible way to explain how stupid that is in modern NHL

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He Is more likely to finally win soon like mackinnon than he is to always be a playoff flop. You don't lose players like Marner because you want cap space. So stupid to even consider that as a possibility.

Not even a correct possible way to explain how stupid that is in modern NHL
He is far more likely to always be a playoff flop than he is to finally win at some point like Mackinnon did. As the saying goes, leopards don't change their spots and expecting Marner to morph into a winner after all these years of being a choker is beyond naive.

It's hard to put into words how stupid it would be to expect something to happen when all signs point to it not happening.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You guys with all the brains and want Mitch to go don’t understand what NMC means

For all the rest of marner haters when he walks just think what you can do with all the cap space from him and JT

You can sign all those playoff stars to new contracts and win wil Willy and matthews
I certainly do understand what it means. And it’s not that are not allowed to trade him. Tell us what you think it means.

Is it possible for a new coach to get different (better) results with the same players?
Do you think the core could play better? Do they more to give?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
My understanding is that they would only ask once they had a deal. I believe they did shop him (Nashville and Vegas being the most interested) but they could not work out a deal or the other team backed off.

Either way, if they run it back and lose in round #1, if they have not signed him, no way they will. They will look like total fools because they allowed him to walk for nothing. But they will give the fans their pound of flesh by handing them Shanny's head on a platter and tell us winning is everything. LOL.
I would think they would ask for a few teams first, or reach out very early in the process. No need of wasting time if he wouldn’t want to play for said team.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
My understanding is that they would only ask once they had a deal. I believe they did shop him (Nashville and Vegas being the most interested) but they could not work out a deal or the other team backed off.

Either way, if they run it back and lose in round #1, if they have not signed him, no way they will. They will look like total fools because they allowed him to walk for nothing. But they will give the fans their pound of flesh by handing them Shanny's head on a platter and tell us winning is everything. LOL.
Let him play this year, let him walk, keep the space for Mcdavid.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Game 7 OT points is all that really matters…
What about stupid plays that led to gwgs against the Leafs in playoff games. Do those count?

Marner has at least 7... that's an incredible number, and certainly crippled his teams chances of winning the series.

@Hellcat @ACC1224

Here is the first one I'll show you. What's your thoughts on the "smartest player in the game's" play here. Look at all that space and time...and he flips it out of play. Montreal scored on the ensuing 2 man pp as a result.

Let me guess, you don't want to discuss?

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Let him play this year, let him walk, keep the space for Mcdavid.

Boo terrible plan. Force the hand take back control of the cap and the team. Its time to fire Shanny and blame him for the overpays and his male menopause sappy nuhockey lame boy hockey act with the boy wonder. Lets turn this MFr around into a real traditional hard nosed winning hockey club as was for decades before the greedy scumbag class took us over.

Go Leafs Go!

Reactions: HolyCrap

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
How about game 2 vs Panthers on 2021? Tie game 2-2. Marner makes a lateral pass inside his own zone and Panthers steal it and score. Here is the commentators take on the play. "Now Marner has a chance to get it out...instead a risky play just inside your own line"...

5:20 of this recap

@Hellcat and @Confucius.... do these plays not matter? Thoughts on this play by Marner?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
How about game 2 vs Panthers on 2021? Tie game 2-2. Marner makes a lateral pass inside his own zone and Panthers steal it and score. Here is the commentators take on the play. "Now Marner has a chance to get it out...instead a risky play just inside your own line"...

5:20 of this recap

@Hellcat and @Confucius.... do these plays not matter? Thoughts on this play by Marner?

here is how bad marner has been in playoffs just a few examples btw. his play results in directly goals against for the leafs more often than not. he makes massive mistakes in the playoffs and on top of that refuses to take any responsibility for his play. such a player at even league minimum shouldn't be around the locker room.

Game 7 against habs - offensive zone turnover by marner when game was tied 0-0 (I can list many STUPID plays by marner in the habs series if you want)

Game 6 against bolts in OT (first time around) - stupid pass AND then STUPID DEFENSE (again could list many STUPID plays by marner if you want including Game 7)

Game 2 against Florida Leafs had a 2-0 lead and then Marner being a complete buffoon (at 1:50 mark)

Marner an absolute GHOST in that series against Florida

Game 7 against Bruins this year (I could add others from the series where he was complete TRASH)
Afraid of getting hit taking the easy route.....

And ofcourse Game 7 OT Marner being a complete garbage

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Marner is not the problem.
1. His salary is a problem. At 7m you love him.
2. The cap is a problem, if there is no cap, not a problem
3. Once Dubas and Shanny overpaid Mitchy, they had to over pay Willie and AM.

Marner is definitely the problem. You have to hate Leafs to claim otherwise.

@7M he might be tradeable, you still won't win with his scared antics and crying on the bench.

You can't win with Mitch playing 25min a game regardless of his cap.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
@hellcatAnd @Confucius what about this play, game 6 OT vs Tampa? Marner from almost his own goal line tries to send a Hail Mary pass to Matthews.... but its WAY short and easily picked off by Tampa, who score the gwg. Before you blame Matthews for falling...stop the video at 7:20... Matthews was about 9 feet in front of the puck and Tampa has it on their stick. It was wayyyyy short.

here is how bad marner has been in playoffs just a few examples btw. his play results in directly goals against for the leafs more often than not. he makes massive mistakes in the playoffs and on top of that refuses to take any responsibility for his play. such a player at even league minimum shouldn't be around the locker room.

Game 7 against habs - offensive zone turnover by marner when game was tied 0-0 (I can list many STUPID plays by marner in the habs series if you want)

Game 6 against bolts in OT (first time around) - stupid pass AND then STUPID DEFENSE (again could list many STUPID plays by marner if you want including Game 7)

Game 2 against Florida Leafs had a 2-0 lead and then Marner being a complete buffoon (at 1:50 mark)

Marner an absolute GHOST in that series against Florida

Game 7 against Bruins this year (I could add others from the series where he was complete TRASH)
Afraid of getting hit taking the easy route.....

And ofcourse Game 7 OT Marner being a complete garbage

@Confucius @Hellcat .... Whats your thoughts on ALL these vidoes of Marner losing the game for his teams in must win playoff games? And I emphasize the ALL... at least 7 times in just 4 postseasons! Absolutely crushed his teams chances all by himself.

Im looking forward to your breakdown of these plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
@hellcatAnd @Confucius what about this play, game 6 OT vs Tampa? Marner from almost his own goal line tries to send a Hail Mary pass to Matthews.... but its WAY short and easily picked off by Tampa, who score the gwg. Before you blame Matthews for falling...stop the video at 7:20... Matthews was about 9 feet in front of the puck and Tampa has it on their stick. It was wayyyyy short.

@Confucius @Hellcat .... Whats your thoughts on ALL these vidoes of Marner losing the game for his teams in must win playoff games? And I emphasize the ALL... at least 7 times in just 4 postseasons! Absolutely crushed his teams chances all by himself.

Im looking forward to your breakdown of these plays.

Colombo you've solved the case!!!

Is this the first time you've ever watched hockey, (I think it is) offensively gifted players are gun slingers, they take calculated risks, those high risk plays dont always work out... you, in the most saddest sense, have ZERO hockey knowledge. I bet you call it ice hockey?

PS - If you look you will find videos of Makar, MacKinnon, McDavid, Kucherov, etc. taking risks that end up in their own net...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Looks like we’re back to it’s all Marners fault again. Too many mixed messages.
Love to see the “it’s all his fault crew” go at it with the “It’s all of their fault but he’s the only one unsigned ” crew go at it.
:laugh:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Is this the first time you've ever watched hockey, (I think it is) offensively gifted players are gun slingers, they take calculated risks, those high risk plays dont always work out... you, in the most saddest sense, have ZERO hockey knowledge. I bet you call it ice hockey?

PS - If you look you will find videos of Makar, MacKinnon, McDavid, Kucherov, etc. taking risks that end up in their own net...

Can you show us some risks that Marner took that paid off in the playoffs? Preferably game winning ones to balance out all these game losers, I’m hoping you don’t show him picking up a PP assist late in a 7-2 blow out in game 2.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

and this one? What's your expert opinion?

@Hellcat Why...? they just made the finals and lost in game 7. That's your first clue.

So if you make it to game 7 and lose you are guaranteed a SCF's the next year...? AWESOME!! is this a new rule that I'm not aware of?

Mitch has a NMC, he does control everything... what part about No Move Clause do you not understand? The NO, the MOVE or the CLAUSE? Then a GM who is responsible to make his team better, says If we can make our team better we will .... That is WOW earthshaking news .. a GM is saying if he can make his strategically team better, he will... I'm SHOOOKED !!! A GM who is going to his job? CRAZY!!!!

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
So it's a dumb negotiating tactic for Marner to say "I want to stay here"

But you want to highlight Treliving saying ,"Marner is a great player" to show that Treliving definitely wants Marner on his team AND CANT be a negotiating tactic? So you would expect Treliving to say "Marner sucks and I want to trade him as fast as I can"?

Sooooo when someone has you bent over a barrel you don't spit in his face if you want something from him. Tre has ZERO leverage, so he sends platitudes to Mitch to soften him up... you cant negotiate with an angry beaver.

I strongly suggest you stop, you are flailing badly or continue it's cheap entertainment.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Well you were shown at least 5, I can show you 7.

Surely you can show us at least 3 each by Tavares, Nylander and Matthew's?

Since it's so common of course.

We can wait, how long do you expect it will take you to post them?

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Can you show us some risks that Marner took that paid off in the playoffs? Preferably game winning ones to balance out all these game losers, I’m hoping you don’t show him picking up a PP assist late in a 7-2 blow out in game 2.

Every point he collects is basic play anyone could make, every time he takes "a calculated" risk we have a highlight going the other way,

Yet they go on their high horse pointing out to other players to excuse Mitch. The best part is if footage of Mitch doing something great in playoffs existed, it would be all we see.

Reactions: Antropovsky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad