Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
That is just made up. It is unclear whether the Leafs have any interest in moving him.

And this is the guy that concerned with other peoples creditability and he is spreading falsehood's...

This song just popped into my head... dont know why... lets reflect on deceptive posting shall we as we listen to this song called Moronic by Alanis Morisette ...

EDIT: Ouups .. my mistake ... the song is call Ironic ... dont I have egg in my face ...

• Haha
Reactions: DFC

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
McDavid had a rough 3 year stretch relative to his talents before popping off for 33 points in 16 games.

9 points in 13 games

Only 1 win against the Hawks in qualifiers

Only 1 goal and swept by the Jets.

Then you need to consider one thing: Our core will NEVER miss the playoffs (excluding 3 month layoff covid), whether as rookies, in their prime or trailing off in their Tavares years. Harder division as well. McDavid can't say the same thing. He hasn't made the playoffs in all his seasons. His overall game (200ft) isn't as superior as matthews and marner to overcome flaws in D and G that end up knocking the Oilers out.

If you want to weigh everything, McDavid does take the W due to the massive points when he does pop off in the playoffs, but overall we shouldn't ditch our core because it's fully possible and should be expected that they dominate the playoffs at least once or twice before they retire. There is a Cup to be had here before we abandon them.

Who knows maybe next season is their "McDavid" season where the sweep to the Jets finally woke him up to putting up video game stats in the playoffs. Things are bad for the core right now, next playoffs will be their chance for redemption.
McDavid figured it out. He did put up video game stats last year. Our guys have not and we keep hoping. Oilers now have a legitimate shot at the SC next year.

Former #1 picks eventually win a Cup. Time is running out for Tavares but Matthews has a shot of the Leafs can find ways to surround him with a good enough supporting staff. I fear they cannot and he has yet to show me anything that he wants it as bad a McD and MacK do.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
McDavid figured it out. He did put up video game stats last year. Our guys have not and we keep hoping. Oilers now have a legitimate shot at the SC next year.

Former #1 picks eventually win a Cup. Time is running out for Tavares but Matthews has a shot of the Leafs can find ways to surround him with a good enough supporting staff. I fear they cannot and he has yet to show me anything that he wants it as bad a McD and MacK do.

Why?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Auston is 26 years old…

How exactly is time running out? He still has another 10 years + in the NHL baring no injuries.

Reactions: Hellcat

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Auston is 26 years old…

How exactly is time running out? He still has another 10 years + in the NHL baring no injuries.
I said " Time is running out for Tavares but Matthews has a shot".

If Phil can win a SC so can the 3 amigos. I just do not think they can do it as a trio unless you can bring in an alpha dog.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I fear they cannot and he has yet to show me anything that he wants it as bad a McD and MacK do.
He might want it, but with his lack of speed and less effective puck carrying ability, he can’t be as effective as in the post season as those two. Matthews doesn’t drive play.

The only forward the Leafs have to drive play is Nylander.

Reactions: Nineteen67

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He might want it, but with his lack of speed and poor puck carrying ability, he can’t be as effective as in the post season as those two.
Nobody can but he can be as effective as anybody else who's won the cup if he willed it. Eric Staal did it for the Canes and he is not close to the regular season player Matthews is.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That is just made up. It is unclear whether the Leafs have any interest in moving him.
It’s becoming clearer that they didn’t have interest in moving him. I think it was Mirtle that casually mentioned that they never asked.

Letting him walk for nothing is on par for this organization.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It’s becoming clearer that they didn’t have interest in moving him. I think it was Mirtle that casually mentioned that they never asked.

My understanding is that they would only ask once they had a deal. I believe they did shop him (Nashville and Vegas being the most interested) but they could not work out a deal or the other team backed off.

Either way, if they run it back and lose in round #1, if they have not signed him, no way they will. They will look like total fools because they allowed him to walk for nothing. But they will give the fans their pound of flesh by handing them Shanny's head on a platter and tell us winning is everything. LOL.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
I dunno.. I'm so confused on the moving goal posts ... I think games 5 through 7 only count if you are Mitch ... Games 1 through 82 count for any other elite goal scorer... if you are not Mitch and have great playoff stats that counts but not for Mitch... he is selfish but yet clearly there are multiple videos of him blocking shots shots when the game is on the line but that does not count because .. Mitch. He comes back from a high ankle sprain but that does not count because ... Mitch... He scores at a PPG for the last 3 years and I guess a PPG is not good because ...Mitch... He is not focused on his nutrition and the gym.. except for all the news articles on Mitch's dedication to the gym and nutrition but those article do not count because ... Mitch... he is greedy and selfish except for his charities and his charity work but that does not count... because you guessed it ...Mitch ... he scores in bunches ..that is apparently bad but every other elite scorer does this that is good ... but not for Mitch ... aggregate career stats are not a good measurement for Mitch but they are for other players .... the team has failed 8 years in a row but it is only Mitch's fault.. the other guys get a pass because their name is not Mitch ... He cant shoot but his career shooting percentage is around 13%, 10% is generally considered good but not for Mitch... I guess that is supposed to make sense .... up is down down is up.... what is real anymore?
You forgot the best made up fact of all

Mitch is a divide in the room his teammates don’t like him

Ryan oreilly who was a teammate tries to influence his new team into trading for Mitch. Do posters actually think the Ryan would advocate to bring such a divide to his new dressing room.

Only Mitch haters who continually make up shit to bolster their hate can be that stupid

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland

You guys with all the brains and want Mitch to go don’t understand what NMC means

For all the rest of marner haters when he walks just think what you can do with all the cap space from him and JT

You can sign all those playoff stars to new contracts and win wil Willy and matthews

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You guys with all the brains and want Mitch to go don’t understand what NMC means

For all the rest of marner haters when he walks just think what you can do with all the cap space from him and JT

You can sign all those playoff stars to new contracts and win wil Willy and matthews

So leafs nation just had Dave Hakstol on their podcast and they asked him what he would do about the core 3 as a coach. Does he think they should move off of them. He said no because talent in the NHL is too hard to come by. He’s like you keep them and you try and figure it out but he understands why people want change.

I would assume that Berube has the same thought process. I think he probably feels like he can get more out of the three together. My guess is the organization may have been ready to move on from Mitch but Berube wants a shot at coaching him. I also think coaches/management view things differently than fans. You wanna keep talent, you don’t want to trade talent for the sake of change. It has to make sense for the team short term and long term.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You forgot the best made up fact of all

Mitch is a divide in the room his teammates don’t like him

Ryan oreilly who was a teammate tries to influence his new team into trading for Mitch. Do posters actually think the Ryan would advocate to bring such a divide to his new dressing room.

Only Mitch haters who continually make up shit to bolster their hate can be that stupid
Again, fans want to stop running it back and unfortunately for Mitch, he is a pending UFA and is the guy you move. I'd love to move all of them but Leafs are afraid to move one let alone 3 so the odd man is Mitch. Yes, some fans are taking it to extremes but running it back for a 9th try is insanity. Dubas sucked this organization dry of talent, draft picks and prospects. It will take years to surround them with the home grown talent they need to win with the 3 amigos $35+m in salaries IMO.

So leafs nation just had Dave Hakstol on their podcast and they asked him what he would do about the core 3 as a coach. Does he think they should move off of them. He said no because talent in the NHL is too hard to come by. He’s like you keep them and you try and figure it out but he understands why people want change.

I would assume that Berube has the same thought process. I think he probably feels like he can get more out of the three together. My guess is the organization may have been ready to move on from Mitch but Berube wants a shot at coaching him. I also think coaches/management view things differently than fans. You wanna keep talent, you don’t want to trade talent for the sake of change. It has to make sense for the team short term and long term.
Hakstol? Now go ask players like O'Dog, Versteeg, Lawton. Curious, how many more tries before you call for change?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He banned the media because he wanted the focus to be on the charity event and what they are raising the money for. He doesn’t want it to become all about his status with the leafs and trade talk. Training camp will be filled with that and he will be obligated to answer those questions then. But right now he’s doing something for a good cause, there really isn’t a need to invite that type of negativity into the event.

Don’t really see a problem with that.
All this plus who wants meddling media around when you’re running an event designed to steal from the needy ?

Did anyone make it down to the event?
I’m trying to put faces to the usernames.

1720969337848.png

• Haha
Reactions: Mr_Fun and Hellcat

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Again, fans want to stop running it back and unfortunately for Mitch, he is a pending UFA and is the guy you move. I'd love to move all of them but Leafs are afraid to move one let alone 3 so the odd man is Mitch. Yes, some fans are taking it to extremes but running it back for a 9th try is insanity. Dubas sucked this organization dry of talent, draft picks and prospects. It will take years to surround them with the home grown talent they need to win with the 3 amigos $35+m in salaries IMO.

Is it possible for a new coach to get different (better) results with the same players?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Is it possible for a new coach to get different (better) results with the same players?
If by better results you mean going deep in the playoffs, then with these players ... I mean you can always say that anything's possible but realistically, it's not happening and if you think otherwise then you're dreaming.

Reactions: ToneDog

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If by better results you mean going deep in the playoffs, then with these players ... I mean you can always say that anything's possible but realistically, it's not happening and if you think otherwise then you're dreaming.
At this point, I'm firmly convinced that both Marner and Tavares will be resigned and they will simply keep trying year after year to break through, because that is the safe and conservative approach. Even if upper management changes, I don't think the approach will change.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Good time to pause and take a look at this living legends HOF career.

(Club ranking)

445 career assists - 5th all time leader
0.79 assists per game - 2nd all time leader
639 points - 8th all time leader
110+ 8th all time leader
1.11 points per game 5th all time leader
51.7 Offensive point share 6th all time

As Brad says .. "We are lucky to have him" ... Kudos Mitch on your great career!
Now if he could just win something his legacy would be complete

Game 7 OT points is all that really matters…
Actually winning is all that counts

Reactions: HolyCrap

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
LOL, dude you live in a fantasyland, what is daddy Tree going to say to stop all the speculation click bait and the idiot fans who are obsessively fixated on Mitch? Tree says something the wackos dont like and now they are fixated on him. You only have to look at this thread as proof positive that the pitch fork crowd does not listen to facts, reason or common sense. Their bloodlust for trading a winger who is in the top 10 of scoring since he entered the league is as illogical as it sounds the problem.

Tree has already said that Mitch is a super star and don't believe the rumors you hear about Mitch, does that sound like a GM that intent on trading one of the best wingers in the game? Berube has said he looks forward to coaching Mitch, doesn't sound like a coach that expects Mitch to be traded. For most reasonable people this would be enough.

“No update on Mitch,” Treliving said via Terry Koshan of the Toronto Sun. “Mitch is a great player. We’re lucky to have him … Craig (Berube) alluded to it at his last press availability. He’s excited to coach him and we move forward. Mitch is training, preparing, getting ready for the season.”
“The thing I would say is, be very, very careful of what you read out there,” Treliving told LeBrun. “Mitch is a hell of a player. He’s going into the last year of his contract. We’re not going to comment on any players. Any business that we conduct, we’ll do that between (Marner’s agent) Darren Ferris and us. We’re not going to do play-by-play on it. We’ve got to look at every possible way for our team to be better.
"I'd caution us to not pay too much attention to some of the noise," Treliving told reporters, according to TSN's Chris Johnston. "We can't react to all of the noise. ... Mitch knows how I feel about him as a player."

Is the bold part clear enough for you?

"Mitch controls a lot of this whole thing. If there's a way to make our team better, we're going to do it. But we're certainly not going to make a trade just so we can pound our chest and say, 'Look, we're different. '"

and this one? What's your expert opinion?

They just lost in the SCF and I think they made some good moves this summer. Last year with Draisaitl on a team friendly deal.
@Hellcat Why...? they just made the finals and lost in game 7. That's your first clue.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
LOL, dude you live in a fantasyland, what is daddy Tree going to say to stop all the speculation click bait and the idiot fans who are obsessively fixated on Mitch? Tree says something the wackos dont like and now they are fixated on him. You only have to look at this thread as proof positive that the pitch fork crowd does not listen to facts, reason or common sense. Their bloodlust for trading a winger who is in the top 10 of scoring since he entered the league is as illogical as it sounds the problem.

Tree has already said that Mitch is a super star and don't believe the rumors you hear about Mitch, does that sound like a GM that intent on trading one of the best wingers in the game? Berube has said he looks forward to coaching Mitch, doesn't sound like a coach that expects Mitch to be traded. For most reasonable people this would be enough.

“No update on Mitch,” Treliving said via Terry Koshan of the Toronto Sun. “Mitch is a great player. We’re lucky to have him … Craig (Berube) alluded to it at his last press availability. He’s excited to coach him and we move forward. Mitch is training, preparing, getting ready for the season.”
“The thing I would say is, be very, very careful of what you read out there,” Treliving told LeBrun. “Mitch is a hell of a player. He’s going into the last year of his contract. We’re not going to comment on any players. Any business that we conduct, we’ll do that between (Marner’s agent) Darren Ferris and us. We’re not going to do play-by-play on it. We’ve got to look at every possible way for our team to be better.
"I'd caution us to not pay too much attention to some of the noise," Treliving told reporters, according to TSN's Chris Johnston. "We can't react to all of the noise. ... Mitch knows how I feel about him as a player."

A lot of platitudes and being careful to not reduce the value of a player who might be traded, but nothing like "our priority is to sign him".

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

You bold part can apply to any narratives though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad