Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Looks like we’re back to it’s all Marners fault again. Too many mixed messages.
Love to see the “it’s all his fault crew” go at it with the “It’s all of their fault but he’s the only one unsigned ” crew go at it.
:laugh:

You only care if ticket prices go up. Its not a secret you hawk/hock tickets here in the forums therefore compromising your integrity as a contributor. They should can Shanahan and move on from Marner but wont because merch etc.

This place is easy mode after years here.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You only care if ticket prices go up. It’s not a secret you hawk/hock tickets here in the forums therefore compromising your integrity as a contributor. They should can Shanahan and move on from Marner but wont because merch etc.

This place is easy mode after years here.
Still haven’t read a good response as to why, if. Fans don’t want Marner, why are they buying his jersey?

Reactions: leafs in five

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Still haven’t read a good response as to why, if. Fans don’t want Marner, why are they buying his jersey?

Personally I think the narrative that he is a choker is fresh. I think a lot of kids really feel a strong connection to the brand because of a very slick PR campaign wit Fortnite etc.

The Marner camp is exceptional at extracting money for sure. He scores more that way than in the net for certain.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Personally I think the narrative that he is a choker is fresh. I think a lot of kids really feel a strong connection to the brand because of a very slick PR campaign wit Fortnite etc.

The Marner camp is exceptional at extracting money for sure. He scores more that way than in the net for certain.
I think the whole "they only want to sell merch" thing is a fairy story made up by bitter fans who have told it over and over so many times that they've come to believe it.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think the whole "they only want to sell merch" thing is a fairy story made up by bitter fans who have told it over and over so many times that they've come to believe it.
Especially since jersey sales are split equally among all teams, with the exception of jerseys sold on site at team owned stores.

Reactions: egd27

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Pelley addressed it when he spoke at the post season presser. Obviously they’re not in the merch business but their incompetence over the past 60 yrs makes you wonder.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Pelly did the ultimate tell in saying we arent here just to sell jerseys.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Pelley addressed it when he spoke at the post season presser. Obviously they’re not in the merch business but their incompetence over the past 60 yrs makes you wonder.
All merch sales outside of that sold in team stores is considered NHL property. All the money received goes to the NHL and they supposedly place it under hockey revenue. It then gets split up equally or whatever system Gary is using these days amongst all the teams. So yeah believe Pelley

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
All merch sales outside of that sold in team stores is considered NHL property. All the money received goes to the NHL and they supposedly place it under hockey revenue. It then gets split up equally or whatever system Gary is using these days amongst all the teams. So yeah believe Pelley

What is sold in team stores? Do you mean. Toronto regional are Leaf proceeds and outside that are league?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
What is sold in team stores? Do you mean. Toronto regional are Leaf proceeds and outside that are league?
Stores that are at the arena on site, places like stalls, booths etc. MLSE doesn’t even own the Toronto Maple leafs name or logo. The league took control of team logo’s at least 25 years ago. Anything you see with maple Leafs logo at wall mart, specialty stores like cap shops, jersey shops etc that all goes through the NHL not MLSE. That’s why you see Coyotes gear etc in stores here. It wasn’t Yotes ownership making deals.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Stores that are at the arena on site, places like stalls, booths etc. MLSE doesn’t even own the Toronto Maple leafs name or logo. The league took control of team logo’s at least 25 years ago. Anything you see with maple Leafs logo at wall mart, specialty stores like cap shops, jersey shops etc that all goes through the NHL not MLSE. That’s why you see Coyotes gear etc in stores here. It wasn’t Yotes ownership making deals.

That's crazy if I were an original six owner I would be irate. What an infuriating business model.

Thanks for the info

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Did Pelley comment about selling jerseys?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
What about stupid plays that led to gwgs against the Leafs in playoff games. Do those count?

Marner has at least 7... that's an incredible number, and certainly crippled his teams chances of winning the series.

@Hellcat @ACC1224

Here is the first one I'll show you. What's your thoughts on the "smartest player in the game's" play here. Look at all that space and time...and he flips it out of play. Montreal scored on the ensuing 2 man pp as a result.

Let me guess, you don't want to discuss?

They don’t want to hear that, just his empty calories points stat

If that is the case, it is amazing that no one collects these points as much as him.

Why don't other players step up and collect these points? It makes no sense to me, this would help us win.
Some do…..in the playoffs

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1721013752603.png

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Has Pelley been in charge for the last 60 years, or is he only talking about since he's been here?

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Oh please tell me you don’t believe that, lol.

Anytime a team loses you can point to someone and say see he did this la da dada. If McDavid could have tried and got one measly point, Edmonton would have won a Cup. Guess they didn’t pay him enough.
Lol. Dude. You did not seriously just compare losing in game 7 of the 1st round to losing in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals did you????

Last edited:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Pelly did the ultimate tell in saying we arent here just to sell jerseys.
Does keeping the core intact really increase jersey sales? I could be wrong but isn't it likely that number of Marner jerseys that they sell would be declining each, because each year more and more of the people who want Marner jerseys already have them. Whereas if you swapped Marner for, say, Mikko Rantanen (just an example), you'd not only have people who want Rantanen Leaf jerseys and of course don't have them, but you'd also have some people with Marner jerseys who don't want to wear an ex-player's jersey so they'd be looking to buy a new one.

And if they really were just interested in selling merch, you'd think they have changed the logo yet again after all it's been eight years. They could've probably gotten away with changing it after five or six.

Last edited:
Reactions: Confucius

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Lol. Dude. You did not seriously just compare losing in game 7 of the 1st round to losing in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals did you????
.. poster @Hellcat said that 2nd place is a first place loser. Indicating a finals appearance means as much as no playoff appearance at all.

Nearly 60 years since a finals appearance ...but it wouldn't matter if the Leafs didn't win the cup. It would be like finishing 32nd.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad