Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I would argue that Marner had poor season because in previous regular seasons he drove the lines he was in and really elevated the games of those around him.
I would argue he got married got happy and lost what fire he had to compete

Reactions: arso40

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't think you need to play extremely high levels of hockey to know anything about it, but since you are bringing it up, what is the highest level you played? Mine is only AAA with/against a lot of current NHLers.

I'd be curious to know how long ago you played and what level. It's got to be pro (a top 10 league hopefully) and within the last 10 years the way you are speaking.
I suggest you ask those NHLers.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
At this point I don’t think Marner even wants to come back. It seems like it’s Ferris feeding information to the media to keep Marner’s value high. I think if we were to catch Marner in a candid moment he would say he wants out.

But they have to play this song and dance, Marner himself probably doesn’t want it out there that he wants out. So they’ve got to make it seem like Toronto is driving the bus on this.
That’s my line of thinking all along.

If I am him and his camp, I will go to a non playoff team to boast up points in the regular season and the extension will be ready by the All Star Break.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Marner got married 6 years ago? His dad's fire is probably the only reason he's playing. He doesn't seem to care too much about losing really. I think he looks forward to having the summer off. He has possibly the least amount of fire in his game I've ever seen.
Looks or plays like he wants the summer off? His little tantrums on the bench and crying in the penalty box certainly has the optics covered.

Reactions: arso40

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Looks or plays like he wants the summer off? His little tantrums on the bench and crying in the penalty box certainly has the optics covered.
:clap:

marner-mitch.gif

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He only throws tantrums or cries when he's being blamed for something. He doesn't get emotional in the game. He doesn't go into scrums, he doesn't smash his stick over a post when he gives the puck away and it ends up in the Leafs net. He never yells expletives at the opponent, he doesnt even send a dirty look at them...Nope, hes 100% content watching his teammates battle in a scrum 4vs6 in the Bruins crease from 40' away standing near a ref.. He only shows emotion when people criticize him or he knows he will be criticized.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
He only throws tantrums or cries when he's being blamed for something. He doesn't get emotional in the game. He doesn't go into scrums, he doesn't smash his stick over a post when he gives the puck away and it ends up in the Leafs net. He never yells expletives at the opponent, he doesnt even send a dirty look at them...Nope, only shows emotion when people criticize him or he knows he will be criticized.
That’s true, just watch his post game/season pressers

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
That’s true, just watch his post game/season pressers
Yep... seems realllllly upset. You'd think game 15 just ended by this interview. He seemed a little more upset last playoffs, hmm maybe that was because his NMC hadn't kicked in yet?

Gotta love him saying once again that he thought they had alot of chances the last couple games..."that just didn't fall" lol.

Reactions: rumman and arso40

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He only throws tantrums or cries when he's being blamed for something. He doesn't get emotional in the game. He doesn't go into scrums, he doesn't smash his stick over a post when he gives the puck away and it ends up in the Leafs net. He never yells expletives at the opponent, he doesnt even send a dirty look at them...Nope, hes 100% content watching his teammates battle in a scrum 4vs6 in the Bruins crease from 40' away standing near a ref.. He only shows emotion when people criticize him or he knows he will be criticized.
Sums it up pretty well

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Can you point out where I said it was a small sample size?

I'm asking how much more difficult those games are and the exact measurement.
You're right - complaining about people using 3 games instead of 7 isn't complaining about a small sample size.

Yeah.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
There is a difference....

M. Tkachuk wanted out of Calgary; Tre didn't want to trade Tkachuk or let Gudreau walk as UFA

We want Marner to be traded to improve the team or worst case scenario walk as a UFA

The 90 points crap needs to die already. We need WINS and PLAYERS who produce when IT MATTERS! Having 4 forwards next year at 11+ AAV is absolutely STUPID. This is Dubas BULLSHIT again trying to f***ing do that nobody in the league is doing because of some galaxy braining shit

There are in total 32 teams in the league of which 16 make the playoffs and of which 8 team go on to play 2nd round and beyond. Not all of require "Marner" to be successful.

This player worship needs to end. TEAM matters more than player. LOGO on the front matters more than name on the back. Period!

I get where you are going but a 90 points player is important, if you dont replace those 90 points through goal suppression or through actual points scored, it means you are not a better team, the cap savings would be meaningless if your team is worse in the end.

The 4 players above $10 mil cap hit is only a thing if your scouting departments and executive staff don't find value contracts, if you look at the Cup winning teams you will find players who over perform their contracts and have an impact on winning the cup, the Leafs have yet to have that value contract impact player over perform their contracts plus the stars need to be stars, not some of them but all of the stars need to shine. The more you have tied up in fewer players the better your team needs to be in developing their own cheap contracts or finding UFA's, the Leafs have not done a good job of that. McMann and Benoit are two good value contracts. I think Robertson could be one of those next year. We need value contracts like Hyman and Reinhart.

Your preaching to the choir when you say team is more important than individual, I've coach for 40ish years, I preach that with every team that I've coached.

BTW if fans dont like Marner's soft game, we should trade Cowan now, he's a clone of Marner.

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

When he came back from injury, he had a really odd presser where he was overly aggressive with the media, he kinda played to "spoiled brat" moniker. This too shall pass, I remember a couple of years ago when Nylander was a cancer in the locker room, needs to go, soft, unengaged ... now he's a playoff hero .. the kind of guy we need more of... Marner is the the pariah right now, opinions.

After we paid him 6.9 for 6 years to out perform he's 11 mil teammates in the playoffs being regulated to secondary lines

Sorry I dont follow , who did we pay 6.9 and which 11 mil players are being regulated to secondary lines?

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
IF we resign Marner (which I would not like), it would change the FA priorities for me. Expectations of a cup next year tank. The year will be a wait to properly reset when JT’s $ come off the cap.

They will need to prioritize the Centre position. I think Lindholm could be the kind of player Nylander would play well with.

I would also try to play the kids a lot. Minten, Cowan and Greb.

Sign
Lindholm
One of Pesce or Skjei.

Then next year spend the rest on another quality d man or two.

Reactions: arso40 and ToneDog

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Yep... seems realllllly upset. You'd think game 15 just ended by this interview. He seemed a little more upset last playoffs, hmm maybe that was because his NMC hadn't kicked in yet?

Gotta love him saying once again that he thought they had alot of chances the last couple games..."that just didn't fall" lol.

Ha no way I'm going to trigger myself by watching that

Reactions: Antropovsky

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Expectations of a cup next year tank.
I think everyone needs to adjust their expectations. I honestly didn't think they had 'it' this year and I wasn't super upset or surprised they lost in the first round this year. Simply didn't expect them to put a meaningful run in.

With or without MM next year I don't see how they can retool quickly enough to make it so next year is a contending year either. Too many holes at all levels.

Trading MM however puts them farther ahead in reinventing the team and the culture

Reactions: arso40 and Budz

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He should lose any and all connections to this franchise too while he’s at.

Chill out man, give it a f***ing rest for a day. Not everyday has to be this obsession like nonsense.

If he gets moved, he gets moved. No one on these boards has control over that. I don’t think you and the few other posters understand how exhausting you guys are. It’s non-stop, we could say the sky is blue, “Marner shouldn’t look at the sky, looking at the sky is for those with big balls”

Reactions: Metroid and ACC1224

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Marner got married 6 years ago? His dad's fire is probably the only reason he's playing. He doesn't seem to care too much about losing really. I think he looks forward to having the summer off. He has possibly the least amount of fire in his game I've ever seen.

Fire!? This brat is a water sprinkler in the playoffs. If you don't believe me look into his crying eyes man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad