Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
And a few air heads who will be thrilled to lock in a playoff loser for another year or two of his so called prime, followed many years of decline.
The salty tears are really something

Nobody needs a safe place. We just want to win. Nothing to do with pitch forks. Marner is the most useless 11 million dollar player. This is a serious question, are you a fan of the team or just Marner and Dubas. You seem to take so much joy when other posters are disappointed with the direction of the team
Weird that being a fan of the team requires participation of a lynch mob run by millennial cancel culture

Reactions: pdson

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
People assume that trading Mitch suddenly makes the Leafs a better team.

1) Tre would have to hit a win in the trade. How many trades did he win in Calgary?
2) The team has to replace Mitch's 90 points through better defence or through like for like offence.
3) JT is no spring chicken his production will start to decline.
4) We need a 1A goalie to compete with perennial Veznia candidates Swayman, Vas, Bob
5) Our Defence is garbage we need to improve our D significantly, dressing Rielly up as a 1 when at best he is a 2 wont work any more.
6) We need some of our prospects to hit and stick and become impact players.
7) We need to improve team speed, we move the puck slow, we skate slow.
8) The bottom of our forward groups are useless anchors, Gregor, Dewar, Holmberg, Reaves, Jarnkrok, Kampft --- what do they do exactly to help this team win?
9) Berube's system in Toronto is yet to be proven effective, some say he was in the right place at the right time, some say he is the next coming of Bowman and is going to bring us to the promised land.

If fans think , we trade Mitch and all of a sudden we are on par with Florida/Boston and other elite teams in the East they are fooling themselves.

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If fans think , we trade Mitch and all of a sudden we are on par with Florida/Boston and other elite teams in the East they are fooling themselves.
Yeah literally nobody thinks this, keep talking to air.

He isn't physical but I've seen him put his body in front of pucks, that takes some courage
So we're praising players for simply blocking shots now?

Boy the f***ing standards around here sink everyday.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
How childish to not be able to accept any criticism of Dear Mitchy at all. Pretty sad really.

Obviously Seravalli's take is childish.

Obviously, right Marner Influencer Crew?
Seravelli will lose credability if he bounces this one out of bounds
Just another pidgeon like those EDITOR IN LEAFS crew that wake up every and vomit on GOOGLE

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The team just brought in a new coach

I wouldn't be shocked if he talked to Marner, liked what he heard and told management he wants to keep him

The guy still is a 100 point selke vote getter who's on both of our first special teams units

Maybe Berube is thinking to himself I can get the best out of him and he will perform for me

He wouldn't be the first new coach to think that
Go with a proven formula. Run it back, extend him, sign an aged bottom 4 D, and a reclamation goalie and sell some shirts.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You don't seem to know Mitch very well. This guy will not leave a single cent on the table. His past negotiation with the Leafs is a perfect example. He thinks he's as good as Matthews and will likely ask for 13.5 mil at least.
If they pay him 13 million and lose in the 1st round, I think I will have to tune in one last time and see how these snake oil salesmen sell that one.
I imagine that press conference will be on the Cirque du Soleil level of acrobatics.
Just before I turn the tv off until next rebuild.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
People assume that trading Mitch suddenly makes the Leafs a better team.

1) Tre would have to hit a win in the trade. How many trades did he win in Calgary?
2) The team has to replace Mitch's 90 points through better defence or through like for like offence.
3) JT is no spring chicken his production will start to decline.
4) We need a 1A goalie to compete with perennial Veznia candidates Swayman, Vas, Bob
5) Our Defence is garbage we need to improve our D significantly, dressing Rielly up as a 1 when at best he is a 2 wont work any more.
6) We need some of our prospects to hit and stick and become impact players.
7) We need to improve team speed, we move the puck slow, we skate slow.
8) The bottom of our forward groups are useless anchors, Gregor, Dewar, Holmberg, Reaves, Jarnkrok, Kampft --- what do they do exactly to help this team win?
9) Berube's system in Toronto is yet to be proven effective, some say he was in the right place at the right time, some say he is the next coming of Bowman is going to bring us to the promised land.

If Mitch gets traded, a culture war of sorts is won. Like all culture wars, it means jack shit in the bigger picture. The team needs to play differently. A new coach will determine what combination is systematic vs personnel related. It sounds like his north-south style will mean some changes. This team lacks speed, constant healthy goaltending, zone denial and defensive breakout abilities. That isn't culture...it's engineering.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If Mitch gets traded, a culture war of sorts is won. Like all culture wars, it means jack shit in the bigger picture. The team needs to play differently. A new coach will determine what combination is systematic vs personnel related. It sounds like his north-south style will mean some changes. This team lacks speed, constant healthy goaltending, zone denial and defensive breakout abilities. That isn't culture...it's engineering.
I agree wholeheartedly. It can start with $11M start players not intentionally avoiding in contact/puck battles in the playoffs.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
You don't seem to know Mitch very well. This guy will not leave a single cent on the table. His past negotiation with the Leafs is a perfect example. He thinks he's as good as Matthews and will likely ask for 13.5 mil at least.
I'm not saying he would and I agree with you.

Was just throwing it out their as a late night bone for the dogs to chew on.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
4 f***ing forwards at 11AAV+ next year when the same group has been trash in the playoffs

If this isn't a f***ing JOKE then I don't know what is.

Its not embarrassment anymore... we need to coin a new word that even blows away embarrassment for the trash that is happening now
8uk7db.jpg

Imagine Mitch comes out and takes a team friendly deal. Like 8x8 what does everyone think then?
Imagine if I got a pony!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
When 4 players are taking up 53% of the cap it makes it very difficult to fix the many holes. What makes it even worse, the 4 players are not very good in the playoffs.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I agree wholeheartedly. It can start with $11M start players not intentionally avoiding in contact/puck battles in the playoffs.
If Marner is doing anything the coach doesn't want him doing, that is on the coach. You call him out or bench him. The accountability starts there. If he is doing everything the coach asks, then the right step in firing the coach has been taken. Rinse and repeat with Chief.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Love Sammy McKee's trade proposals yesterday:

Marner + Minten to Nashville for Saros + Fabro + Scissions + 1st
Marner to Utah for Ingram + Keller + Crouse
Marner + Kampf + Timmons + Minten to Vegas for Theodore + Roy + Whitecloud + McNabb
Marner to Calgary for Andersson + Kadri (Bourne counters remove Kadri and give me the $7mM cap space)
Marner to Ottawa for Brady (Bourne says add Minten because he knows Sens never make that deal 1 for 1)

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If Marner is doing anything the coach doesn't want him doing, that is on the coach. You call him out or bench him. The accountability starts there. If he is doing everything the coach asks, then the right step in firing the coach has been taken. Rinse and repeat with Chief.
Hah, that ain't the coach. That's the player. The coach can't make a player want to win.

I'm actually shocked you low-key agreed with my statement, wasn't expecting that.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
When 4 players are taking up 53% of the cap it makes it very difficult to fix the many holes. What makes it even worse, the 4 players are not very good in the playoffs.
It isn't hard to fill at all when you jettison the low hanging fruit. Harder to do it when you cut into bone

Hah, that ain't the coach. That's the player. The coach can't make a player want to win.

I'm actually shocked you low-key agreed with my statement, wasn't expecting that.
It specious to suggest they don't want to win and will is meaningless without execution. Judging by the icetime given out, it appears as if Marner did most of what Keefe wanted and more.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
This is exactly one of my biggest concerns when it comes to Marner.

1) A stubborn Marner refuses to go despite Leafs ownership preferring to move on from him because they want to win playoff games and the Stanley Cup.
&
2) The other 31 NHL teams also with Stanley Cup aspirations, come to the same conclusion using logical reasoning, that its better to let the Leafs screw themselves and keep and then re-sign and vastly overpay him, because Casper the Friendly Ghost puts no fear into anyone come playoff time.

He is among the softest players in the game today and avoids all physical contract and plays a perimeter game avoiding traffic and contact, and where he has scored 11 playoff goals over 8 playoff years and 9 series. He basically averages 1 goal every playoff series which at his TOP 10 Cap hit makes him a huge determent & liability to the Leafs chances of winning, which in turn only benefits the opposition.

FWIW: Over the course of Marner's same playoff years there have been 136 other players that have scored 11 or more playoff goals ( NHL Stats )

When you look at that list a players and see ex leaf Patty Marleau has scored 12 goals during that time period (and has been retired for years) and Leafs gave away their 1st round pick to dump Marleau's contract for cap reasons, and with that pick that player became Seth Jarvis for the Canes and he has scored 13 playoff goals already compared to Mitch Marner's 11. A move done to re-sign Marner to his bloated current contract in hopes of bring the Leafs playoff success. Marner now the weakest goal scoring link of all 3 players involved.

When Marner/Agent Darren Ferris threatened Dubass with an offersheet > $10 mil as a RFA, the Leafs should have simply let him walk, let Marleau play out the last year of his deal, kept and drafted Seth Jarvis with their own pick and taken the 4 X 1st round pick compensation as they would be no futher away from the Cup & that was going to be the BEST !!! trade return a Marner transactions could return to Leafs, even today.
Agreed.

Reactions: arso40

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I am in the "trade Marner" camp. I think he doesn't sign at a discount and this gets leaked and used against him by the public....adding to the discomfort.

- He's not a playoff performer
- He wouldn't waive his no trade
- He is not giving a discount to stay

That's the narrative if they want to pressure him to waive.
I’m in the trade Marner if they can camp but why would anybody expect him to take a team discount when none of his teammates have ? If they can’t trade him he will find out his market value is lower everywhere else but he’ll also likely pay less in taxes too.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad