Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
What is scary? You guaranteed a trade.

Tkachuk in fairness wasn't a gutsy move. He indicated he wanted to leave and only in hindsight was it a horrible trade. He either traded him or lost him for nothing.

It’s not like he’s afraid to make big deals, he got Dougie Hamilton, he traded for Hanifin and Lindholm

Reactions: arso40

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He didn't complain about Babcock? He didn't use the media to complain about not playing with Matthews? His Dad? His contract, he said he should be paid with Matthews.

How about the shrug offs in interviews post games? Saying we are treated like gods?

Of course you and echo chamber #2 are the only two defending him at this point. The guys a wreck.

Marner never complained about Babcock publically. What Babcock did to him as a rookie was f***ed up. That came out afterwards

Show me the quote where Marner asked to be paid like Matthews. I remember that being Darren Ferris not Mitch Marner.

Who the f*** cares if shrugs in an interview? Are you that fragile that it affects you?

Additionally Matthews was the one who made a huge stink about not playing with Marner, so much so that Babcock had to fly to Arizona to discuss it with him.

As I’ve pointed out, a lot of projection, nothing substantial, no proof from you, take a seat.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Marner for dimes on the dollar example 1:

Marner to Calgary for Markstrom retained (3M) (Wow what a deal for Calgary, and we still laugh our asses to the bank and cash that cheque)

Re-sign Domi (4M) and Bertuzzi (5M)

Total: 12M

You're telling me anyone thinks Marner alone would be better than Domi and Bertuzzi (plus 2M in cap this year and about 4M moving forward) or one of the two and someone like Pesce/Roy/etc?

It's pretty easy to see how much better this team could be just by moving Marner for almost nothing and either getting JT on a super sweetheart deal or letting him walk out the door.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Cliff Fletcher also made one of the worst trades in the history of our franchise in his third stint. His third stint was so bad, ruined everything prior for me.
pat
He didn't complain about Babcock? He didn't use the media to complain about not playing with Matthews? His Dad? His contract, he said he should be paid with Matthews.

How about the shrug offs in interviews post games? Saying we are treated like gods?

Of course you and echo chamber #2 are the only two defending him at this point. The guys a wreck.
He bitches ,but bever to help out a teamate

Reactions: thewave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Marner never complained about Babcock publically. What Babcock did to him as a rookie was f***ed up. That came out afterwards

Show me the quote where Marner asked to be paid like Matthews. I remember that being Darren Ferris not Mitch Marner.

Who the f*** cares if shrugs in an interview? Are you that fragile that it affects you?

As I’ve pointed out, a lot of projection, nothing substantial, no proof from you, take a seat.

Seems really personal. If he is a relative or something I am sorry but he really is not going to help us win and his contract demands are absurd.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Nope we will sign him Tre does not have the stones to trade a star winger...or the ability to assess talent and get a fair trade, do we really want Hubredeau and Weeger value for Mitch?
I'd take just a Weegar for him and the added cap space to keep Domi (we'd still have 750k to play with right now and close to 3M in future years). Easily actually. That's a f***ing steal imo.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The team just brought in a new coach

I wouldn't be shocked if he talked to Marner, liked what he heard and told management he wants to keep him

The guy still is a 100 point selke vote getter who's on both of our first special teams units

Maybe Berube is thinking to himself I can get the best out of him and he will perform for me

He wouldn't be the first new coach to think that
A rare rational thought for this thread. :thumbu:

Reactions: Hellcat and Kiwi

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Agree with most of what you say but no way do I pay the Nylander that played the second half of the season $11.5m. He needs to put up 100 points next year or fans will be calling for his head next April if they bow out early.
He got within 2 points while playing with a rapidly fading JT. Give him a couple of decent wingers and he should hit the century mark.

I don't necessarily think he's worth $11.5, but I would say he's closer than Mitch.

Reactions: arso40

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I set the bar low now so they seldom disappoint. If they could not give a shit about losing in round #1, why should I? Run it back and I am watching reruns of the Gilligan's Island rather than reruns of these 5 clowns losing in round #1.
how about reruns of Get Smart, still miss your old avatar............

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
If this is true the entire Leafs management including Pelley lied to the entire fanbase to their face & that trust is now irreparably broken. Fans can no longer believe a word that comes out of their mouth.
Depends which fans. Would it affect the 99% subscriber renewal rate they get every year? I doubt it.

Don't forget, they only said everything would be on the table, not that a big change would definitely be made. They left themselves an out.
So what do the leafs get for it?
It could be an extra player or pick. All we know from (reliable?) reports is the Leafs will go to Marner's camp if there's an acceptable offer, see if they're interested, let them talk with the other team, and then see if a deal can be completed.

Which is a lot of ifs.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Try like 0.01%

We're a bunch of whiner keyboard warriors who think we have some sort of secret knowledge on how the league works.
Leave it to me. I know how it works.
7bebd458-dfe9-4c35-beee-da10caaaa99b.jpg

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Leave it to me. I know how it works.
7bebd458-dfe9-4c35-beee-da10caaaa99b.jpg

Dont need to know the inner workings. Basically nobody wanted to give JT 11.5m or MM 10.9m. The terms to unwarranted NMCs etc. Just based on roster consensus I can tell we would be a better team with you guys running the team via app in the spirit of democracy.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Why would they? Teams give up value at the trade deadline for a handful of the games, not knowing if the player will resign or the organization will want to retain. This way you get the player for the entire year.
Not if it’s a prime piece.
Toronto isn’t looking for a trade deadline value.
NYI would not give up Dobson for 1 year unsigned Marner.
Would you trade Brady Tkachuk for 1 year of Marner?

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Dont need to know the inner workings. Basically nobody wanted to give JT 11.5m or MM 10.9m. The terms to unwarranted NMCs etc. Just based on roster consensus I can tell we would be a better team with you guys running the team via app in the spirit of democracy.
Easy to say. More likely that anonymous hfboards poster running the Leafs would somehow finish 33rd.

Reactions: freshwind

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

I wouldn't be shocked if he talked to Marner, liked what he heard and told management he wants to keep him

The guy still is a 100 point selke vote getter who's on both of our first special teams units

Maybe Berube is thinking to himself I can get the best out of him and he will perform for me

Marner is not being renewed.

He’s being traded.

Tre, and the president said … change was needed.

Resigning Marner is the definition of no change.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Mitch is a cool bro.

But this core has run its course and Tre picked nylander over marner.

Marner isn’t a part of the Leafs future.

Mitch will have great success. But not in a Leafs uniform

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So far today we've learned that a CEO with no hockey background is going to be involved in roster decisions and GM's are signing players based on Dregers contract valuations. :laugh:

Might be time for some to come in out of the heat.

The funny thing is Pelley has spent his entire time heaping praise on Shanny and Tre and confirmed during the season ending press conference that he doesn't see his role as being about hockey ops.

Folks expecting to see sweeping changes from his office are in for a ride awakening in a few weeks

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Those special teams sucked ass in the playoffs with him on them and he plays nowhere near a 100 point selke vote getter level when we need him most. And that’s because, playoff hockey is different from regular season hockey. A truth reiterated countless times by players and coaches alike. Maurice just said it literally a few days back. His game isn’t built for it and so far he’s shown no willingness to change anything.

How many times does this cycle of failure have to be repeated before we see any actual change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad