Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I thought the fact that Tre waited until Willy was midway through his best season was what cost him $1.5Mx8.

This is the first time I've heard it called the other way.
My understanding Willie dug in at 11.5m last summer and told Tre to call him when they were ready to sign. Tre caved when Willie was on a 120 pace. Had he waited until now he could have got him cheaper or let him walk. The way I see it, Tre panicked or was told to sign him.

Now that Willie is at 11.5mx8, you have to move on from Marner.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Commenting with similar arguments on an internet thread
-Repetitive, no substance
-Poor form

A billion dollar franchise quite literally doing the same thing
-Not repetitive. Righteous. Morally correct

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Commenting with similar arguments on an internet thread
-Repetitive, no substance
-Poor form

A billion dollar franchise quite literally doing the same thing
-Not repetitive. Righteous. Morally correct

If they re-sign MM to another ludicrous extension, I think I might just find other things to do on fall/winter nights. This Leafs management is really testing me. And I have been a fan for 24 seasons now. For me, enough is enough. They think fans are stupid and will keep gobbling up their product. Screw them.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If they re-sign MM to another ludicrous extension, I think I might just find other things to do on fall/winter nights. This Leafs management is really testing me. And I have been a fan for 24 seasons now. For me, enough is enough. They think fans are stupid and will keep gobbling up their product. Screw them.
You think that if they re-sign him it's because they feel fans are stupid?
Wouldn't the logical thought be they re-signed him because they feel that's what's best for the franchise?

Reactions: francis246

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You think that if they re-sign him it's because they feel fans are stupid?
Wouldn't the logical thought be they re-signed him because they feel that's what's best for the franchise?

Many saw how bad Dubas was early on, yet they were ready to resign Dubas. That should tell you everything you need to know about their incompetence.

Fans have been saying they need to move off the core for years yet here we are.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Leafs new CEO Keith Pelley has the ability to put his money where is mouth is and simply state that "He won't approve any future Marner extension, his time is up in TO".

If he is serious about his speech of wanting to win not sell jersey's then that show of faith would begin with a Marner trade or if he plays hardball then let him walk.

Re-signing him for $11-13 mil suggests he is full of crap and anything he says is simply lip service. Doubling down on this core that has won 1 playoff series win in 8 years is simply tossing more good money after bad and would keep fueling the same fire of incompetence when it comes to understanding how to build a competitive playoff tea
Now seravelli is dreger like
They are running it back

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
So far today we've learned that a CEO with no hockey background is going to be involved in roster decisions and GM's are signing players based on Dregers contract valuations. :laugh:

Might be time for some to come in out of the heat.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
:laugh: Why do you find something that's irrelevant, weeks old and been posted many times to be a necessary add to the discussion?
Its part of a larger on going discussion that includes a Plan for his replacement.

The Leafs preparing to make a push for Jake Guentzel?​

With the media in a frenzy over what the Leafs, and GM Brad Treliving decide to do with Marner, different trades and theories have emerged. This of course led to different scenarios in which we could see Marner leave Toronto, with one specific plan for the Maple Leafs to go after free agent star winger Jake Guentzel in July.

Now becoming one of the most coveted forwards on the free agent market comes July 1st, Guentzel will garner the interest of pretty much every team out there. Guentzel, who is looking for a shot at winning year-in, year-out, is likely to command quite a significant salary, as it has been projected that Guentzel could get a massive six year deal at $8 million annually as a free agent. Mathematically speaking, Toronto would be ruled out…

Unless they make room for Guentzel by trading Marner. The Leafs would bring in a known playoff performer in Guentzel, who has 67 points in 69 playoff games and another trigger-man that would help the Leafs' power play. The coinciding moves would give Leaf fans the shake up in the "Core Four".

Guentzel could be on his way up to Canada, but only IF the Maple Leafs make the bold move of shipping out Marner, after he agrees to waive his clause to whatever team Toronto strikes a deal with, and get the room for the coveted pending free agent. If that starts with a Marner trade.

Whacky5

Jun 9, 2019
My understanding Willie dug in at 11.5m last summer and told Tre to call him when they were ready to sign. Tre caved when Willie was on a 120 pace. Had he waited until now he could have got him cheaper or let him walk. The way I see it, Tre panicked or was told to sign him.

Now that Willie is at 11.5mx8, you have to move on from Marner.
To be fair tho, Willy did say, he would take a home discount if the others did too, meaning Matthews. We knew and he definitely knew the other 2 weren't going to do that.

Not that I'm a huge Willie fan or anything, but he did say that. MLSE is getting screwed over by these players and Shanacon & Dubas are/were the biggest culprits. I don't even know how Shanahan has a job.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Simply put because of money. If it is a team that is interested and is up coming, the extra revenue generated just getting into the first round would be enough. A team that is strong and looking to make a run, the belief that MM could get them past the first = more money. The acquiring team also gets the added year if they look to resign could save them money. The acquiring team also gets to evaluate him in real time to decide if they want to reup him. It is really no different than acquiring a rental at the deadline, no guarantee they will resign but the team will still make the trade if they believe the player can help achieve the organizational goals for that year,
So how much do you pay for an eighth year? a Third round pick?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Absolutely.

I have no problem trading anyone.

I like Nylander now (to me, he can skate (drive play) and shoot). Marner is an OK skater, can't shoot. Matthews can't skate. But I would have 100% traded Nylander on the spot when he held out against the team. I would have offered him a contract and if he wasn't at training camp I would have 100% have traded him. When I got the return I wanted. Otherwise he can sit out a few years.

There is zero chance I pay Marner 10.9. I would have told him that is the AAV demand of someone who doesn't want to be on my team. 100% trade.

There is zero chance I acquire a UFA early in a rebuild. I don't even have a core of players signed. Dubas failed. badly. He's not Brock's finest.
How can a player hold out from a contract they didn’t have? Nylander didn’t hold out, he simply didn’t have a contract to play. Holding out implies he otherwise should’ve been in camp and on the roster with the club. He literally couldn’t have without a deal in place.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
To be fair tho, Willy did say, he would take a home discount if the others did too, meaning Matthews. We knew and he definitely knew the other 2 weren't going to do that.

Not that I'm a huge Willie fan or anything, but he did say that. MLSE is getting screwed over by these players and Shanacon & Dubas are/were the biggest culprits. I don't even know how Shanahan has a job.
I always thought that was assumed.
He was quoted as saying that?

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Its part of a larger on going discussion that includes a Plan for his replacement.

The Leafs preparing to make a push for Jake Guentzel?​

With the media in a frenzy over what the Leafs, and GM Brad Treliving decide to do with Marner, different trades and theories have emerged. This of course led to different scenarios in which we could see Marner leave Toronto, with one specific plan for the Maple Leafs to go after free agent star winger Jake Guentzel in July.

Now becoming one of the most coveted forwards on the free agent market comes July 1st, Guentzel will garner the interest of pretty much every team out there. Guentzel, who is looking for a shot at winning year-in, year-out, is likely to command quite a significant salary, as it has been projected that Guentzel could get a massive six year deal at $8 million annually as a free agent. Mathematically speaking, Toronto would be ruled out…

Unless they make room for Guentzel by trading Marner. The Leafs would bring in a known playoff performer in Guentzel, who has 67 points in 69 playoff games and another trigger-man that would help the Leafs' power play. The coinciding moves would give Leaf fans the shake up in the "Core Four".

Guentzel could be on his way up to Canada, but only IF the Maple Leafs make the bold move of shipping out Marner, after he agrees to waive his clause to whatever team Toronto strikes a deal with, and get the room for the coveted pending free agent. If that starts with a Marner trade.
Are links no longer required on hf? If not, I'd be happy to just make stuff up.
Nothing? I presume Marner and his new team would agree to a new deal prior to the trade going through and then sign it right after.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I always thought that was assumed.
He was quoted as saying that?

I can't remember if he was verbatim quoted saying that, but it was reported a lot when he signed the extension.

I think it comes back to Matthews, Matthews hasn't really taken a discount, so you can't expect the others to. I always found it funny that people just expected Marner to be the one to take the discount cause he's from Toronto. It was kind of naive of some fans. You have 3 players who are similar and the best of the group isn't willing to take less, you bet your ass no one else will either.

Reactions: ACC1224

Blaylock38

Bleeds Blue & White
Jul 7, 2010
Hamilton
That I don't know, I am not sure what they could leverage it into in terms of asset recouperation. But now I am reading that apparently Bissonette on Spitting Chicklets is reporting the Leafs are working on a contract extension with him. So, I am lost with what they are going to do.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
New thread title, awesome!

Hope that Chiclets rumour that they're pursuing an extension is just Biz shooting the shit or listening to Dreger again. Extending Marner isn't just stupid, even worse, it's lazy. It's the path of least resistance, the least likely to get management fired. Which is ironic, because we'll just go out in round one the next two years and they'll all get fired for that anyways.

Whacky5

Jun 9, 2019
That I don't know, I am not sure what they could leverage it into in terms of asset recouperation. But now I am reading that apparently Bissonette on Spitting Chicklets is reporting the Leafs are working on a contract extension with him. So, I am lost with what they are going to do.
Looks like they are going to run it back lol. I'm so over this team. It'll be interesting to see if Berube will be that kind of coach, that will be benching certain players when they are playing like shit. Or calling them out after a game. I'm just going to root for Easton Cowan if he makes the team, if not, I won't care that much next season.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Hope that Chiclets rumour that they're pursuing an extension is just Biz shooting the shit or listening to Dreger again. Extending Marner isn't just stupid, even worse, it's lazy. It's the path of least resistance, the least likely to get management fired. Which is ironic, because we'll just go out in round one the next two years and they'll all get fired for that anyways.
Wouldn’t the Leafs need to know an extension dollar/term for Marner anyway if trading him somewhere?
No team is giving up value for 1 year.

Reactions: Smif

Blaylock38

Bleeds Blue & White
Jul 7, 2010
Hamilton
Wouldn’t the Leafs need to know an extension dollar/term for Marner anyway if trading him somewhere?
Why would they? Teams give up value at the trade deadline for a handful of the games, not knowing if the player will resign or the organization will want to retain. This way you get the player for the entire year.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009

If this is true the entire Leafs management including Pelley lied to the entire fanbase to their face & that trust is now irreparably broken. Fans can no longer believe a word that comes out of their mouth.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Or it's posturing, so that other teams don't think we are desperate to move him.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I don't really believe that to be true. I think Marner has good value as a 1 year rental for a lot of contending teams.

- His real money salary is less than $1,000,000
- On a one year deal, retention is actually possible (Leafs could also get more assets back for retaining)
- Price to acquire will be lower
- Option to move off him if things don't work out and then flip him again

I could see teams like Vegas, Dallas, New Jersey, Nashville, Buffalo for example, all be interested in taking him on. Buffalo is my darkhorse. If they buyout Skinner I could see them really trying for Marner.

Reactions: ToneDog

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Or it's posturing, so that other teams don't think we are desperate to move him.

Nope we will sign him Tre does not have the stones to trade a star winger...or the ability to assess talent and get a fair trade, do we really want Hubredeau and Weeger value for Mitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad