Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why the focus on Marner and not the other clowns?
Seravelli summed up why in his interview on the fan590 yesterday morning (15:34)

Love the part where the host says Marner is going to show them by having a great season and playoffs and force the Leafs to pay him. Seravelli - yeah and I want to be 170 pounds and have two Swedish models for girl friends.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Love the part where the host says Marner is going to show them by having a great season and playoffs and force the Leafs to pay him. Seravelli - yeah and I want to be 170 pounds and have two Swedish models for girl friends.
Disinformation is ramping up.

The message needs to be clear: Marner is being traded.

Marner is driving the third line and PP2 if he’s delusional enough to return.

Got to start somewhere, hope he’s just the beginning of fixing the cap and getting rid of overpriced underperformers……..
We need to dump an expensive RW and Tre picked Nylander

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Marner holds all the cards... anything the Leafs do hurts them with free agents or their current season.

I also think most players if they get told they are unwanted, will be fine hearing options of where they can potentially go, but the Leafs have no power here.

Also, tanking Marner's value would be obvious and GMs are smarter than this board and can retain knowledge about a player past a single season.
If, as you say “Marner holds all the cards”, how can the Leafs do anything that hurst them if they have no cards to play?

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Seravelli summed up why in his interview on the fan590 yesterday morning (15:34)

I love the part where remember how he blocked a shot 6 years ago.
Maybe some day he will do it again.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Wait til Chara retires, we'll get em
Wait til Rask retires, we'll get em
Wait til Bergeron retires, we'll get em
Wait til Krejci retires, we'll get em
Wait til Swayman retires, we'll get em

View attachment 881815
Compared to the Leafs, Boston is a great team, however they are flawed and relied heavily on their goalies and I didn’t think they were a Cup contender.
They have to look in the rear view mirror because someone will pass the Leafs in the very near future and they probably won’t have it so easy.

Reactions: socko

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
It's easier for some to just jump on the froth wagon and echo whatever idiocy they can find.
Critiquing Team sports is hard.
Marner must go. Any other conclusions are WRONG.

Yes, it's that simple.

marner-mitch.gif

leafs.marner.math.png

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Marner holds all the cards... anything the Leafs do hurts them with free agents or their current season.

I also think most players if they get told they are unwanted, will be fine hearing options of where they can potentially go, but the Leafs have no power here.

Also, tanking Marner's value would be obvious and GMs are smarter than this board and can retain knowledge about a player past a single season.

No I bet a lot of players know what's going on and some are Leafs fans.

And players will chase the money regardless of what the Leafs do with marner.

Leafs aren't cheap, they're just looking for improvement and have openly said not everyone is doing / accomplishing what they want them to and so they have to change the players.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So you are keeping Marner.

Run it by me why you think that is a good idea.

I'm open to any improvements, if that involves moving Marner, that sounds good, let's do it.

The blanket statements about him needing to go are just silly.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
TRADE MARNER

Just getting in my daily rep, like this savage.

1331660438_bike_wheelie_bench_pressing.gif
+1

Reminds me how some people here have talked about after we trade Marner, maybe he'll go on to win the Conn Smythe with another team.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think it's been repeated about 1000x but there's clearly other discussions and criticisms going on regarding other Leafs core players, read around the boards a bit.

You're seeing less of it because Matthews/Nylander faced injury issues in the playoffs, which naturally facilitates less discussion around them with another 1st round exit. Not sure why this is so hard to grasp for some.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That is what it takes to make a deep run and win a SC. Sadly, that series was peak playoff Marner. SH goal on a penalty shot and two blocked Pastrnak shots to preserve the win.
That’s the way the entire core should play. Unfortunately it’s not.
People shouldn’t get mad at us for wanting to move on, blame the players for bringing us here. They just don’t bring that drive/intensity as a group.

Reactions: ToneDog

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Well it’s the majority here… I couldn’t begin to list the lynch mob throng.
It is amusing that some believe HF's have the majority of Leafs fans posting here.

Ain't so.

We definitely have opinionated Leafs' fans here, but hardly a majority, and I'd speculate not even a good sample size to know what the majority of Leafs' fans really want/like.

If you went to a boxing match and asked the fans like boxing and then claimed your survey was representative of the entire populate 19 times out of 20 blah blah blah.

We are the fringe ... and there's nothing wrong with that ... really ...

Against Boston, It went 7 games to overtime and the Leafs had the best 3 forwards playing at less than 100%, with 2 of them missing key games. And the Leafs lost their better goaltender.

As for Boston you can't say they were missing players who are not on their roster anymore than Leafs can say they were missing Hyman, or Kadri, or Sundin. So they weren't missing Bergeron, or Krejci, or Chara or ...

If you asked if I'd like to run this team back healthy against that Bruins squad, yeah certainly. But of course there is no guarantee they'd be healthy, but high ankle sprain, visual migraine, Matthew's revenge, and last stop injury to lose the shut-out while his teammates were celebrating Woll ... so much Leafs.

At least one excuse (reason?) has been replaced, even if the cast remains the same, the director gets to remake it as he sees fit.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Yes, it's that simple.

View attachment 881860

View attachment 881861
Marner’s temper tantrum was really embarrassing to bith the team and Leaf fans, professional athletes shouldn’t be acting like spoiled children………

+1

Reminds me how some people here have talked about after we trade Marner, maybe he'll go on to win the Conn Smythe with another team.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
I hope he does, as long as it’s with another team………

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Marner’s temper tantrum was really embarrassing to bith the team and Leaf fans, professional athletes shouldn’t be acting like spoiled children………

I hope he does, as long as it’s with another team………
When you are handing out big dollar, long term contracts, you have to have a level of trust in what the player has besides skill. Skill isn’t unique, all 16 teams in the playoffs have someone equal to us in skill or they wouldn’t be there. What else does it have, what critical position is it (center,D and goalie taking priority over wingers) and what is the sample size.

I don’t trust these players beyond the regular season dangles. I have stated in the past that I don’t believe in the core.
That includes Matthews and Nylander as well, (I don’t fully trust them either) they just happened to be signed already leaving Marner on the outside.

10 years of a rebuild later and we are having discussions we shouldn’t be having. Except we are. That’s not a good build.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

Yes, it's that simple.

View attachment 881860
for all the folks that screamed that these players dont show enough emotion...
Marner shows emotion
Marner must go.

:loony:

I think its good he took a fit on the bench, because it means he cares. Marchand, and Pasta smashed a lot of sticks on their way off the ice, its not that different.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Yes, that is the speculation.

There have been many opinions put forward in that regard.

We probably can agree Matthews isn't going anywhere.

Nylander they just gave a huge raise to, something they did not have to do. I think Treliving was around long enough to have liked what he saw. Of course 80% (throwing that out from my butt) of the decision was probably on ice performance, but some would have been off ice. You don't give him that money based on being a 40 goal scorer alone.

Tavares, I doubt they are worried about his final year, and they aren't worried about his ask. They will likely have a Malkin, or less, type of deal in mind so that isn't something they'd feel they need to change up.

Rielly, he probably earns his paycheque, and while it would be nice if he was more than he is, the contract is appropriate.

Leads us to marner. Some thought comments made in he transition PC were pointing at marner. That was my impression, but that may not be true.

Maybe, it isn't any of the top 5 players on the team.

Maybe they're looking at the supporting cast and goaltending.

The gap between supporting cast and 1st. liners is enormous.

Maybe the cleaning house is below the top tier.

Media and marner have a symbiotic relationship, and they seem to feed off each other in a non-productive manner. One is good at media the other brutally inept.

Reactions: Bomber0104
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad