Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Everyone that are posting stats that Marner is this great hockey player that we just can't win without (sighs), is not getting the gripe here with him.

No one is posting that, you are making up that argument.

He is not worth his next contract here, period. We've seen this show, how many times? Matthews is gone in 4 years. If we don't ice something that even resembles a "contending" team in the playoffs, his ass is gone too. And you know what? Nice knowing you, but your not that great in the playoffs too.

Source? He was gone next year too but that didn't happen.

This team needs a HUGE overhaul and resigning Mitch to 12-13 mil a season, is insanity. You must be crazy, thinking this team can still get over the hump and be this dynasty team that's waiting to happen.

I still can't believe people still want this team back again, for what? Another beating in the playoffs? We are the laughing stock in the NHL, when we, should be the envy from each and every team. Signing Marner would be another failure joke on us, the fans.

People think making a trade to make one is stupid, and so does the current GM. He learned from his mistake.

I'm totally on the trade Marner team. Trade JT if we can too.

It's time people, for freshness, and for us hardcore fans.

Hardcore fans would know hockey well enough to know that this team could be doing much worse than they currently are, so moving on from a player just because is stupid.

Everyone wants the team to get better and win.

Whacky5

Jun 9, 2019
No one is posting that, you are making up that argument.

Source? He was gone next year too but that didn't happen.

People think making a trade to make one is stupid, and so does the current GM. He learned from his mistake.

Hardcore fans would know hockey well enough to know that this team could be doing much worse than they currently are, so moving on from a player just because is stupid.

Everyone wants the team to get better and win.

So your saying paying him 12-13 mil a season is ok? Paying him 12-13 million is not stupid? Meanwhile, you have a problem with Reaves contract, in which his role is what it is. I think he did an ok job last year for what he's worth. Can't say the same for Mitch.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So your saying paying him 12-13 mil a season is ok? Paying him 12-13 million is not stupid? Meanwhile, you have a problem with Reaves contract, in which his role is what it is. I think he did an ok job last year for what he's worth. Can't say the same for Mitch.

Reaves' role ended up being in the press box, and he is only getting older, he is his own issue.

If the money is spent better then it is good, but I don't have a lot of faith in our GM based on last year.

Treliving should sit Marner/Ferris down and show them Florida in action. "That's 12M worth of talent". "This is not" (pointing to Mitch).

They then show how Marner is better than Nylander in virtually every way and Treliving ends up giving Marner his ask.

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You have to. He is pacing like a champ each year, just to find a way to burn out at the end of the season and into playoffs.

Yeah, 100 points is something he can only imagine. Us too for that matter. Anyone thinking of Mitch as a 100 point winger needs to use imagination!

I can imagine he collects assists on Matthews goals. No issues there.The problem is the vivid picture of scared Mitch flopping pucks over the glass, crying, and throwing hissy fits on the bench, while Pasta skates by him for the season-ending goal.

Now imagine playoffs without 30 min of scared Mitch on the ice...One can only imagine!
Last 3 seasons 97, 99 and 85 in 69 games. Doesn’t take much imagination to think of him as a 100 point winger. He is so far off the mark after all.

Whacky5

Jun 9, 2019
Last 3 seasons 97, 99 and 85 in 69 games. Doesn’t take much imagination to think of him as a 100 point winger. He is so far off the mark after all.
So what??????????? He is not worth 12-13 mil a season even with those stats lol. He's feeding a 60-70 goal scorer and it's kinda sad he hasn't even hit 100 pts yet in a season. If there is an overrated player in the NHL, it's Mitch. Especially, for what he's getting paid.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Oh yes, I remember reading that about 40 years ago or so, I guess I'm getting old. I'm not sure I made it all the way through, but I got the general idea and because of my background I'm very familiar with what went on in the Soviet Union. Such a depressing book, sigh again.
I also read it a long time ago, but I’ve been rereading a lot of the books from my youth, with age comes perspective. Another book I didn’t really get in my youth, but totally get niw is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance…….

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I said he holds all the cards right now. He doesn't have to agree to a single thing the Leafs propose, he can play out the year and walk to UFA. The only things Leafs can dangle is the 8th year on an extension.

Playing time is dicey, in the end we're still trying to win games and Mitch is a big part. I'd be pleasantly surprised if the Leafs decided to play hardball with any of their players, up to now all we've seen is coddling and placating to their every demand.
That’s his cards.

Leafs have their cards.

No one holds all the cards.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
That’s his cards.

Leafs have their cards.

No one holds all the cards.

Marner holds all the cards... anything the Leafs do hurts them with free agents or their current season.

I also think most players if they get told they are unwanted, will be fine hearing options of where they can potentially go, but the Leafs have no power here.

Also, tanking Marner's value would be obvious and GMs are smarter than this board and can retain knowledge about a player past a single season.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I really wanna have more say in the Marner thread today but since I am already quite popular for some reason; I shall digress.

never saw that many notifications for me on HF ever LOL
1718139113188.png

But......... I gotta ask.... Any news on the trade front? ;)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs confirmed to be taking calls on Mitch Marner

The Toronto Maple Leafs and Brad Treliving have a difficult decision to make with Mitch Marner this off-season, but have reportedly begun to take calls on him.

A large section of the Leafs' fanbase would like to see Marner moved after he became the scapegoat for another early playoff exit, but with Marner holding a no-movement clause, it will be very difficult to do. That hasn't stopped the Leafs from exploring all options as TSN's Chris Johnston reported on 'First Up' today.

"I think the Leafs are very mindful about turning this into some sort of war. At the end of the day, Mitch Marner controls the situation. He has a full no-movement clause, he's one year out for UFA, he's still a player that has had multiple 90+ point seasons. As much as the Leafs might end up guiding this in a certain direction, he's got the hammer.

I'm sure the Leafs have already taken calls on him in terms of feeling out what the Leafs might want if they ever thought to trade him. You have those exploratory conversations and if they think there's something that makes sense for the team that's when they engage with Marner's camp to see if he would consider waiving his no move. I don't get any sense there is friction there or that they are leaning heavily on him. We'll see if there is even a trade that makes any sense. At this point I don't think that is the case and at this point I don't think they've had to approach Marner's camp about that."​

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafs confirmed to be taking calls on Mitch Marner

The Toronto Maple Leafs and Brad Treliving have a difficult decision to make with Mitch Marner this off-season, but have reportedly begun to take calls on him.

A large section of the Leafs' fanbase would like to see Marner moved after he became the scapegoat for another early playoff exit, but with Marner holding a no-movement clause, it will be very difficult to do. That hasn't stopped the Leafs from exploring all options as TSN's Chris Johnston reported on 'First Up' today.
where does it say they are ‘confirmed to be taking calls” ?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
He was re-signed... so the trade was not the 7 years...

37 when he is done that contract by the way, we will see if it ages well.

Hmm, I thought Weegar had a longer contract when traded. The point remains the same - he’s part of the trade and extensions signed after the trade should be evaluated separate from that trade.

Are you advocating that the Leafs should not remove their second best player?

No.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Quite a dissertation refuting the numbers there.
So you arent being deliberately obfuscatory. You just dont know what you are talking about.
Obfuse or obtuse - make up your mind. ;)

Since your post accused my of saying things that I hadn't, I hardly felt it necessary to continue feeding your delusions.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
The bolded is perhaps the biggest overstatement I've ever seen here, and that's really saying something.

Just think about what you're saying here, that without Marner, we'd "probably" have lost 31 playoff games in a row. That would be absolutely blowing away the record for consecutive losses record, regular season or playoffs.

I just can't stop laughing. Get real dude.
And like, according to Confused Confucius, we couldn't have used that 11 Million AAV on anyone else....

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The bolded is perhaps the biggest overstatement I've ever seen here, and that's really saying something.

Just think about what you're saying here, that without Marner, we'd "probably" have lost 31 playoff games in a row. That would be absolutely blowing away the record for consecutive losses record, regular season or playoffs.

I just can't stop laughing. Get real dude.
Boston lost their top 2 centers, finished ahead of us in the standings and beat us in the 1st round with Coyle and Zacha as the top 2 Cs. People are worried about trading Marner. I’d be more worried we suck as a franchise then if we are about to finish last in the league without our saviour.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Boston lost their top 2 centers, finished ahead of us in the standings and beat us in the 1st round with Coyle and Zacha as the top 2 Cs. People are worried about trading Marner. I’d be more worried we suck as a franchise then if we are about to finish last in the league without our saviour.

There is a reason people only talk about the Cs that Boston has when trying to make the Leafs look bad.

They have a Hart nominated winger, another winger with a top 5 finish for the Hart, a Vezina winner (who was the backup), and two D who were voted in the top 5 for the Norris.

They weren't a bad team.

Reactions: arso40 and Arzak

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
There is a reason people only talk about the Cs that Boston has when trying to make the Leafs look bad.

They have a Hart nominated winger, another winger with a top 5 finish for the Hart, a Vezina winner (who was the backup), and two D who were voted in the top 5 for the Norris.

They weren't a bad team.

They played LW Zacha as their 1C.

I'm here with you. Bruins have a solid team. It's insanity they went a whole year without replacing Bergy or Krejci. They are one big UFA C from being a problem again.

edit: They could use JT :cool: , 1st,2nd and Debrusk for JT.

Reactions: arso40

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

They weren't a bad team.
lol go back and read this board on just how many times Boston has been done. Too old, we’re better, they’re fading.

All of a sudden because they beat us, they are a good team again. Leafs coping mechanism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad