Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
They say that if you want to see results, you gotta get those reps in.

Trade Marner!!

I'm trying to remember when the last time was that I saw two people here on the same day arguing that +- is a meaningful stat. Insults and profanity though, geez I can't remember when the last time was that I didn't see at least two people doing that here on the same day. :laugh::laugh:
It is meaningful with caveats known only by the educated

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
No, the trade was not good either because the year they had of Huberdeau on the contract they traded for, he still sucked.

Plus 7 years of a good 2/3 defenseman on a reasonable contract…

Yep, the Flames are currently in great shape, excellent trade/signing, and everything was great.

Most teams would be screwed if their top 2 players forced their way out of town.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
For the record, Marner is -1 in games 5-7 since 2019.

When you factor:
1) his 13% cap hit
2) He has by far the least amount of points in games 5-7 amongst core 4
3) coupled with 7 individual plays that have led to goals against in those 5-7 games. Most of which were gwg against.
4) not to mention he has the least amount of slot shots in the playoffs amongst the team
5) AND he is playing the furthest from the net in the playoffs vs season amonst the team
6) he once went 18 consecutive playoff games without a goal

...how can you not point at him as the primary reason this team fails in the playoffs??? It's not even debatable that his play has absolutely crushed his team.

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Plus 7 years of a good 2/3 defenseman on a reasonable contract…

He was re-signed... so the trade was not the 7 years...

37 when he is done that contract by the way, we will see if it ages well.

Most teams would be screwed if their top 2 players forced their way out of town.

Are you advocating that the Leafs should not remove their second best player?

Reactions: Confucius

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
When you factor:
1) his 13% cap hit
2) He has by far the least amount of points in games 5-7 amongst core 4
3) coupled with 7 individual plays that have led to goals against in those 5-7 games. Most of which were gwg against.
4) not to mention he has the least amount of slot shots in the playoffs amongst the team
5) AND he is playing the furthest from the net in the playoffs vs season amonst the team
6) he once went 18 consecutive playoff games without a goal

...how can you not point at him as the primary reason this team fails in the playoffs??? It's not even debatable that his play has absolutely crushed his team.
Considering he has the most total playoff points and the best plus minus stat, he must have just killed it over the first 4 games. We probably get swept 8 years straight if he didn’t. Like the saying goes one guy can’t win you a Cup.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The Cap is already spent.

Tavares is just paid as a 1st. liner, that won't change anything.

What if 2nd. and 3rd. line score equally?

Sunk cost.
I agree, but it seems wrong. People were complaining about a $24+M top line, and about an $18+M second line, and now we may see a $24+M third line.

I think if Matty and Willy are the 1C and 2C next year the third line likely won't "score equally", but if they do, fine.

Reactions: arso40

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm enjoying the series, still have a couple to watch. I would add that if you haven't read the book, I would highly recommend giving it a try. Out of all the books I've read over the last 5 years or so, If I were to rank them then A Gentleman in Moscow would probably be in my top 5.

I love it when a series is made based on books I enjoy. If you haven't watched Bosch, Bosch Legacy and Lincoln Lawyer, those are all based on books by Michael Connelly and they're fantastic if you like that sort of thing. And one more spinoff based on the Renee Ballard character is one the way, I can't wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: myleafs

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Considering he has the most total playoff points and the best plus minus stat, he must have just killed it over the first 4 games. We probably get swept 8 years straight if he didn’t. Like the saying goes one guy can’t win you a Cup.
The bolded is perhaps the biggest overstatement I've ever seen here, and that's really saying something.

Just think about what you're saying here, that without Marner, we'd "probably" have lost 31 playoff games in a row. That would be absolutely blowing away the record for consecutive losses record, regular season or playoffs.

I just can't stop laughing. Get real dude.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I'm enjoying the series, still have a couple to watch. I would add that if you haven't read the book, I would highly recommend giving it a try. Out of all the books I've read over the last 5 years or so, If I were to rank them then A Gentleman in Moscow would probably be in my top 5.

I love it when a series is made based on books I enjoy. If you haven't watched Bosch, Bosch Legacy and Lincoln Lawyer, those are all based on books by Michael Connelly and they're fantastic if you like that sort of thing. And one more spinoff based on the Renee Ballard character is one the way, I can't wait!

Another condescending, insulting post, congrats! How many is that so far today?
Maybe you should stop

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
?
See what happens
See what happens
See what happens
See what happens
See what happens
See what happens
See what happens
See what happens

It's hardly a sensible approach to add another see what happens season. We know what is going to happen come playoff time. If you want to pretend the sensible approach is adding another "see what happens", I call bulsh*t.
Yeah running it back for another 7/8 years so we can see what happens seems pretty LOLOLOL insane at this point. :laugh::laugh:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
We can just order our lines based on cap hits so people whine less.

Throw some ELCs/low cost players with Matthews on line 2 and same with Nylander on line 3 so that the cap works out to make everyone happy.
It is about the only way you could justify calling JT and Mitch "top line players".

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Another condescending, insulting post, congrats! How many is that so far today?
I love all those shows, and read most of the books, have you read the Gulag Archipelago by Alexander Solzhenitsyn? Well worth the read of real life within the Russian gulag system...........

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It’s actually a great idea, let Mathews play the season with Domi and we see what happens. If Mathews falters, well maybe Mitch does get that 8 x 11 deal.
Matthews will always get his goals, he's too good not to.
Marner put up these numbers in what most say was a down year for him.

1718134262118.png

You can only imagine what a productive season would look like.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Nice try. Quality if competition has been shown to be much less relevant than quality of linemates.
So that translates to a refutation of +-?
Try to keep up.
For the record, you believe Nylander has a more difficult defensive and offensive assignment? That is the only reason why you would have a problem with using points scored directly and on ice goals against.
Explain why you feel this is the case OR acknowledge that the stats are damning. Being obtuse only feeds the dummies

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I love all those shows, and read most of the books, have you read the Gulag Archipelago by Alexander Solzhenitsyn? Well worth the read of real life within the Russian gulag system...........

Oh yes, I remember reading that about 40 years ago or so, I guess I'm getting old. I'm not sure I made it all the way through, but I got the general idea and because of my background I'm very familiar with what went on in the Soviet Union. Such a depressing book, sigh again.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
So that translates to a refutation of +-?
Try to keep up.
For the record, you believe Nylander has a more difficult defensive and offensive assignment? That is the only reason why you would have a problem with using points scored directly and on ice goals against.
Explain why you feel this is the case OR acknowledge that the stats are damning. Being obtuse only feeds the dummies
No, I didn't say any of those things.

Try to keep up. Stop being obtuse.

Reactions: myleafs

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Matthews will always get his goals, he's too good not to.
Marner put up these numbers in what most say was a down year for him.

View attachment 881710

You can only imagine what a productive season would look like.

You have to. He is pacing like a champ each year, just to find a way to burn out at the end of the season and into playoffs.

Yeah, 100 points is something he can only imagine. Us too for that matter. Anyone thinking of Mitch as a 100 point winger needs to use imagination!

I can imagine he collects assists on Matthews goals. No issues there.The problem is the vivid picture of scared Mitch flopping pucks over the glass, crying, and throwing hissy fits on the bench, while Pasta skates by him for the season-ending goal.

Now imagine playoffs without 30 min of scared Mitch on the ice...One can only imagine!

Whacky5

Jun 9, 2019
Everyone that are posting stats that Marner is this great hockey player that we just can't win without (sighs), is not getting the gripe here with him.

He is not worth his next contract here, period. We've seen this show, how many times? Matthews is gone in 4 years. If we don't ice something that even resembles a "contending" team in the playoffs, his ass is gone too. And you know what? Nice knowing you, but your not that great in the playoffs too.

This team needs a HUGE overhaul and resigning Mitch to 12-13 mil a season, is insanity. You must be crazy, thinking this team can still get over the hump and be this dynasty team that's waiting to happen.

I still can't believe people still want this team back again, for what? Another beating in the playoffs? We are the laughing stock in the NHL, when we, should be the envy from each and every team. Signing Marner would be another failure joke on us, the fans.

I'm totally on the trade Marner team. Trade JT if we can too.

It's time people, for freshness, and for us hardcore fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad