Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If you believe some of the insiders, it is not how it is expected to play out. There is a chance he is not traded because Tre is not able to find a suitable trade partner but Mitch will be told they are moving on. If he thinks waiting a year is best for him, good luck but either way he is done here.

If I am running the show and it was decided he is not part of the future, Mitch is moving to PP2 and not playing with Matthews. I can't see him getting over 90 points if he is not on PP1 and not playing with Matty.
Marner doesn’t control his ice time, linemates or deployment. I’d also take the A off his jersey and put in on Nylander so he could look at it all year.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Keeping things simple, Mitchy holds all the power right now. He says whether he stays or goes until next July 1st when he hits UFA.

If I was him, I'd play the 'I'm honouring my contract' card and ride out the year, put up PP points feeding Matthews/Willie then cash in as a UFA.

We're not going to win this situation, it was lost when Dubas gave out a NMC in the last year of his contract.
The Leafs can play hardball just as easily. Put Tavares and Nylander together. Matthews on the first line with two of the better wingers.

Leave Mitchy-poo to carry the 3rd line and 2nd unit PP. He won't like that in a contract year.

That's only if he plays hardball to force is way onto the team without entertaining a trade

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Why on earth does anyone need to "back up claims" that Marner sucked in the playoffs. We all have eyeballs, this isn't some outrageous hot take that he was hot garbage in Montreal, unplayable hot garbage against Florida, and hot garbage against Boston this year.

He put up 10 points in the first 4 games against the Lightning last year. Wow!!!!
He put up 4 points in the next 7 games, 1 in Game 5 against Tampa, 3 in the 5 against Florida. Booo!!!
He was the worst Leaf on the ice in the Florida game 3. Boo!!
He scored the GWG in game 4 against Florida. Yay!
It was a seeing-eye muffin from the point. Hmmm, okay.
He was invisible for almost the entirety of 7 games against Boston. Booo!!!
He scored an amazing solo-effort goal in game 4. Yay!

Seriously, the idea that someone needs stats or proof of Marner's poor performance is ridiculous. There were hockey games broadcast on live TV that we all watched. How we interpret those games varies widely, but I think it's quite safe to say that his performance was poor enough that huge swathes of the fanbase have soured on him entirely. I'm not at all surprised that there's people who are still holding onto a candle for him and I am entirely sympathetic to the notion that we should keep him because he'll manage to figure it out. I can live with the argument that he was good in both the Tampa series. But that he wasn't terrible against Florida, Boston #3, and Montreal, is demanding that we ignore our own eyeballs and that's just not a tenable argument.

In our two most recent playoff series, and what should have been a gimme against our biggest rivals three years ago, he was AWFUL. There can be no serious arguments that do not at least acknowledge dramatic underachievement on his part. There is plenty of blame to go around to the other players if Marner getting blasted really hurts someone's sensibilities, but this is the Marner thread after all and there are plenty of people, like me, who think that he is the biggest culprit. Now, I may just be another moron poster on the internet, I've watched this game long enough, played this game long enough, talked about this game long enough to know when an 11m player is playing like shit. We watch him play amazing hockey the other 82 games of the year, this is basic apples to apples comparing here.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Start backing up your claims that the numbers are somehow skewed by impact on all the games or keep your silly posts out of adult forums. You are the one making audacious claims based on nothing.
You use the word "adult" a lot but behave like a childish schoolyard bully.

Keeping things simple, Mitchy holds all the power right now. He says whether he stays or goes until next July 1st when he hits UFA.

If I was him, I'd play the 'I'm honouring my contract' card and ride out the year, put up PP points feeding Matthews/Willie then cash in as a UFA.

We're not going to win this situation, it was lost when Dubas gave out a NMC in the last year of his contract.
I'd say it was lost only at the point when we let it get that far. If we trade him after the MTL series (or even last summer) then we're not in the unfortunate situation that we find ourselves in today.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner doesn’t control his ice time, linemates or deployment. I’d also take the A off his jersey and put in on Nylander so he could look at it all year.
As Mirtle said, his camp knows what is going on. Personally I do not see what they gain playing out the year for a team that tells you there are moving on. Hopefully they are smarter behind the scenes than they appear.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Like usual you need help here. Marner outperformed Willy last year. A simple analysis would show this. Marner had a bigger impact on winning games and less of an negative impact on losing games.
Only the lazy and dumb would say such things.
A simple analysis? Willy had more goals and points, more ES goals and points, more PP goals, assists, and points, more SH goals and points, more OT goals, and more GWG, all while playing mainly with JT, while Mitch was playing mainly with Matty.

But I agree - only the lazy and dumb would say such things as "Marner outperformed Willy last year."

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
A simple analysis? Willy had more goals and points, more ES goals and points, more PP goals, assists, and points, more SH goals and points, more OT goals, and more GWG, all while playing mainly with JT, while Mitch was playing mainly with Matty.

But I agree - only the lazy and dumb would say such things as "Marner outperformed Willy last year."
I thought Nylander really closed the gap last year and had the best year of his career, while Marner may have had his worse.
Didn't Nylander have higher point totals because he played considerably more games?

Both ends of the ice and competing every night Nylander still has a ways to go though.

Sorted by P/PG

1718119329883.png

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

BOOM!

Reactions: arso40 and myleafs

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I just dropped into this thread because my life has been too exciting recently, with stressful work deadline that has come and gone, vacation to BC, moving out of the house, moving into an AirBnB, preparing to move back into the same house, taking the 4 dogs for walks, watching the Hitler series so I need something to numb the brain.

Nothing happening here ... thanks.

So there might be trades, not marner, in the week or two between Stanley and the Draft eh?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I’d love to see this simple analysis. I’m not even a Marner hater, but from where I’m sitting say he outperformed Nylander doesn’t seem at all well supported.

Against Tampa

Game 1...lost to Tampa 3-7
Marner 3 points...Nylander 1 point
EV On ice GA...Marner 0, Nylander 2

Best...Marner

Game 2 Won 7-2
Team only needed first 3 points to win
Marner 1 point, Nylander 1 point
EV on Ice GA...Marner 1, Nylander 1

Best...tie

Game 3 Won 4-3
Marner 2 points, Nylander 1 point
EV on ice GA...Marner 0, Nylander 2

Best...Marner

Game 4 Leafs win 5-4
Marner 2points, Nylander 3 points
EV on ice GA Marner 0, Nylander 2

Best...Marner

Game 5 Leafs lost 2-4
Marner 1 point, Nylander 0 points
EV on ice GA Marner 1, Nylander 1

Best...Marner

Game 6 Leafs win 2-1
Marner 0 points, Nylander 0 points
EV on ice GA Marner 0, Nylander 1

Best Marner

Against Florida

Game 1 leafs lost 2-4
EV on ice GA Marner22, Nylander 0

Best Nylander

Game 2 Leafs lost 2-3

EV on ice GA Marner 1, Nylander 2

Best Marner

Game 3 Leafs lost 2-3
Marner 0 points, Nylander 1 point
EV on ice GA Marner 1, Nylander 0

Best Nylander

Game 4 Leafs won 2-1

EV on ice GA Marner 0, Nylander 0

Best Marner

Game 5 Leafs lost 2-3

Best Tied

I just posted my work. Where is yours?

Reactions: Confucius

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

He holds all the cards including playing time? If he does hold all the cards, why not re-sign four years for a dollar less than Matthews?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I just dropped into this thread because my life has been too exciting recently, with stressful work deadline that has come and gone, vacation to BC, moving out of the house, moving into an AirBnB, preparing to move back into the same house, taking the 4 dogs for walks, watching the Hitler series so I need something to numb the brain.

So there might be trades, not marner, in the week or two between Stanley and the Draft eh?
What's the 'Hitler series'? I need a new show

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I thought Nylander really closed the gap last year and had the best year of his career, while Marner may have had his worse.
Didn't Nylander have higher point totals because he played considerably more games?

Both ends of the ice and competing every night Nylander still has a ways to go though.

Sorted by P/PG

View attachment 881618
I thought Nylander really widened the gap last year, as he keeps getting better each year while Marner doesn't.

I think it's time we put to rest the idea that Marner is some spectacular defensive player while Nylander is a black hole.

Reactions: arso40 and socko

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I thought Nylander really widened the gap last year, as he keeps getting better each year while Marner doesn't.

I think it's time we put to rest the idea that Marner is some spectacular defensive player while Nylander is a black hole.
:laugh: ok

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

I was just in BC for vacation myself a few weeks ago. Travelled a lot through the interior. Beautiful area.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why on earth does anyone need to "back up claims" that Marner sucked in the playoffs. We all have eyeballs, this isn't some outrageous hot take that he was hot garbage in Montreal, unplayable hot garbage against Florida, and hot garbage against Boston this year.

He put up 10 points in the first 4 games against the Lightning last year. Wow!!!!
He put up 4 points in the next 7 games, 1 in Game 5 against Tampa, 3 in the 5 against Florida. Booo!!!
He was the worst Leaf on the ice in the Florida game 3. Boo!!
He scored the GWG in game 4 against Florida. Yay!
It was a seeing-eye muffin from the point. Hmmm, okay.
He was invisible for almost the entirety of 7 games against Boston. Booo!!!
He scored an amazing solo-effort goal in game 4. Yay!

Seriously, the idea that someone needs stats or proof of Marner's poor performance is ridiculous. There were hockey games broadcast on live TV that we all watched. How we interpret those games varies widely, but I think it's quite safe to say that his performance was poor enough that huge swathes of the fanbase have soured on him entirely. I'm not at all surprised that there's people who are still holding onto a candle for him and I am entirely sympathetic to the notion that we should keep him because he'll manage to figure it out. I can live with the argument that he was good in both the Tampa series. But that he wasn't terrible against Florida, Boston #3, and Montreal, is demanding that we ignore our own eyeballs and that's just not a tenable argument.

In our two most recent playoff series, and what should have been a gimme against our biggest rivals three years ago, he was AWFUL. There can be no serious arguments that do not at least acknowledge dramatic underachievement on his part. There is plenty of blame to go around to the other players if Marner getting blasted really hurts someone's sensibilities, but this is the Marner thread after all and there are plenty of people, like me, who think that he is the biggest culprit. Now, I may just be another moron poster on the internet, I've watched this game long enough, played this game long enough, talked about this game long enough to know when an 11m player is playing like shit. We watch him play amazing hockey the other 82 games of the year, this is basic apples to apples comparing here.
When we watched the games no one defended him and felt it was time to move on. When Ferraro commented a day or so after the series that he (Marner) was disinterested, no one disputed it. As we get further away from the playoffs some people forget what he was.

Most felt the playoffs were an opportunity for him to prove himself in the playoffs and he failed miserably. In fact I think he was worse this than previous years. We can only conclude that he has no compete in him or doesn’t want to play for the Leafs.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA

They're going in different directions for many years. Someone posted Marner blocking shots intentionally yesterday. That was a blast from the past.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I still think Marner for Shane Wright + First from Seattle make a lot of sense. I doubt we get a significant piece (great current player). Futures, makes more sense to me.

Sign Lindholm.
Use Marner Cap Space to address Defense.
Use First Round (Seattle) pick to acquire a goalie.
Bring Domi back
Trade Kampf
(Matthews/Lindholm/JT/Wright/Holmberg/Minten) is excellent depth.

This also allows us to pressure JT to take a low AAV if he wants to come back. Play him at LW.

Just playing with cap friendly to see what this ends up looking like.
You had me right up t the bolded then I sighed....no thanks to Tavares returning. Lets change the culture.

Paul doesn't like that

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Against Tampa

Game 1...lost to Tampa 3-7
Marner 3 points...Nylander 1 point
EV On ice GA...Marner 0, Nylander 2

Best...Marner

Game 2 Won 7-2
Team only needed first 3 points to win
Marner 1 point, Nylander 1 point
EV on Ice GA...Marner 1, Nylander 1

Best...tie

Game 3 Won 4-3
EV on ice GA...Marner 0, Nylander 2

Best...Marner

Game 4 Leafs win 5-4
Marner 2points, Nylander 3 points
EV on ice GA Marner 0, Nylander 2

Best...Marner

Game 5 Leafs lost 2-4
EV on ice GA Marner 1, Nylander 1

Best...Marner

Game 6 Leafs win 2-1

Best Marner

Against Florida

Game 1 leafs lost 2-4
EV on ice GA Marner22, Nylander 0

Best Nylander

Game 2 Leafs lost 2-3
EV on ice GA Marner 1, Nylander 2

Best Marner

Game 3 Leafs lost 2-3
EV on ice GA Marner 1, Nylander 0

Best Nylander

Game 4 Leafs won 2-1
EV on ice GA Marner 0, Nylander 0

Best Marner

Game 5 Leafs lost 2-3

Best Tied

I just posted my work. Where is yours?
Mine is actually what you quoted, but ignored.

Yours seems to be primarily based on +/- on a previous season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad