Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Just trying to keep everything constant, if regular season stats matter as much as playoffs stats in determine how good a player is I’m good with that. The league still feels it’s useful otherwise why bother to track it?

I really don’t remember Fraser, lol but he must have been awesome to be a plus 18 in 48 games on the Leafs that season. Best player probably not but if he also had more points than anybody else, I’d probably say yes based on stats
Except he wasn't. He was a marginal player who had a short career, if he was so awesome that's not the way it would have played out.

I wouldn't assume that the NHL only tracks things that are "useful". Maybe they track plus minus because some people find it interesting, nothing wrong with that as they are in the entertainment business after all.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
LOL. The Apocalypse will happen before you see that.
When it comes to the subject of Marner, you're probably right. I've seen him make some decent posts on other subjects, it's almost like he regresses to an eight year old whenever discussing Marner. But yeah, I'm not really expecting adult behavior from him ITT.

I really hope Marner's gone a month from now. Just getting my reps in (this is/was the daily reps thread right)?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Except he wasn't. He was a marginal player who had a short career, if he was so awesome that's not the way it would have played out.

I wouldn't assume that the NHL only tracks things that are "useful". Maybe they track plus minus because some people find it interesting, nothing wrong with that as they are in the entertainment business after all.
Well he had a career season then, he must have been tough to play against after all the opposition didn’t score as often when he was on the ice. I see he had 85 min in penalties in 45 games, probably was an intimidating player on an otherwise soft team.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
When it comes to the subject of Marner, you're probably right. I've seen him make some decent posts on other subjects, it's almost like he regresses to an eight year old whenever discussing Marner. But yeah, I'm not really expecting adult behavior from him ITT.

I really hope Marner's gone a month from now. Just getting my reps in (this is/was the daily reps thread right)?
8thvim.jpg

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well he had a career season then, he must have been tough to play against after all the opposition didn’t score as often when he was on the ice. I see he had 85 min in penalties in 45 games, probably was an intimidating player on an otherwise soft team.
That's more or less what I'd expect someone to say who doesn't remember they guy and is relying on plus minus to shape his opinions.

Like I said, the hockey world stopped using that stat as a way of measuring individual performance a long time ago, there's good reason for that but if you want to ignore that and stubbornly cling to the idea that the stat is a good tool, you go right ahead.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Didn’t the Panthers went up 3-0 against us and didn’t Bruins did that a few years back too?
Florida was up 3-0 against us.
Game 4, Matthews and Tavares scored. Leafs win 2-1.

Game 5, Nylander and Reilly score. Leafs lose 3-2. Lose series 4-1.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Florida was up 3-0 against us.
Game 4, Matthews and Tavares scored. Leafs win 2-1.

Game 5, Nylander and Reilly score. Leafs lose 3-2. Lose series 4-1.
What I remember most about that series was how badly Marner played with the season on the line in game 3. He was constantly fumbling the puck like a rookie who folded under the pressure of playing his first playoff game. Then with the pressure off, he looked like a hockey player once again in game 4.

That's the thing about when people say points in game 1-4 are as important as they are in games 5-7 - they're completely missing the point which is that when there's no pressure, Marner's great but when the pressure is on, he disappears. He's shown that over many years in games 5-7, and the one time we made it to round 2 he was even worse. He played pretty much the worst hockey of career until we were down 3-0 and the pressure was off again. How does anyone think that this guy would be a valuable asset to a team trying to win the cup?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Like usual you need help here. Marner outperformed Willy last year. A simple analysis would show this. Marner had a bigger impact on winning games and less of an negative impact on losing games.
Only the lazy and dumb would say such things.

I’d love to see this simple analysis. I’m not even a Marner hater, but from where I’m sitting say he outperformed Nylander doesn’t seem at all well supported.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That's more or less what I'd expect someone to say who doesn't remember they guy and is relying on plus minus to shape his opinions.

Like I said, the hockey world stopped using that stat as a way of measuring individual performance a long time ago, there's good reason for that but if you want to ignore that and stubbornly cling to the idea that the stat is a good tool, you go right ahead.
How can you say being on the ice for more goals scored than allowed is useless/ meaningless. What if Marner was minus 15 in the playoffs would that also be meaningless?

Reactions: francis246

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How can you say being on the ice for more goals scored than allowed is useless/ meaningless. What if Marner was minus 15 in the playoffs would that also be meaningless?
We'd hear about it EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Keep fighting the good fight but those blinded by hate will never see anything positive.

Reactions: francis246

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Don't twist my words around now, I believe you're better than that.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
We have the 3-4 Marner is a god posters fighting with the 3-4 Marner murdered my family posters and I'm here like "it's summer time let's all chill and party and see what happens guy" 😂

Yeah, I know this is a Marner thread. For no reason at all I felt like writing this. Will it band the lovers and haters together against me?! Time will tell.

*For th record I'm a trade anyone on this team if it makes us better guy.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
We have the 3-4 Marner is a god posters fighting with the 3-4 Marner murdered my family posters and I'm here like "it's summer time let's all chill and party and see what happens guy" 😂

Yeah, I know this is a Marner thread. For no reason at all I felt like writing this. Will it band the lovers and haters together against me?! Time will tell.

Sounds like you want to trade Marner!

If you don't think he killed us in playoffs, you are not paying attention.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I don't think anyone thinks that, at least that I've seen.

Everyone is disappointed with the play of all the top players this post season but most take issue with the idiotic hatred that's thrown Marners way, repeatedly daily, that has nothing to do with the play on the ice.

'See what happens' is the sensible approach but that seems to be in short supply here.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Sounds like you want to trade Marner!

If you don't think he killed us in playoffs, you are not paying attention.
If it gets us a cup, I'll trade him 3 times over. Anyone really, was just a comment on the back and forth extreme bickering.
I do find It entertaining tho. Also a nice break in the action. Distraction sorta thing .
Go team!

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
If you think he wasn't bad last year and points tell the story, there's nothing more to say here. I figure there are 4 possibilities:

1 - you didn't watch the playoffs
2 - you watched the playoffs, but your Marner bias is preventing you from understanding what you're watching
3 - you don't understand hockey
4 - you're part of Marner's camp and pumping his tires here is your job
It’s 4 for sure. If Marner wants to pay me to defend him feel free to reach out.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
LOLOL. Yeah, you're probably right.

I'd be fine with a minimal return myself, but I'm concerned about the rumors that the Leafs "don't want to lose the trade badly" or something like that. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but my worst fear is that the main goal isn't to win, but to not look bad and that may lead them to bending over for Marner because they think that won't look as bad as letting him walk. And as far as casual fans go, they're probably right too.
Me too. That don't wanna lose a trade badly is the kind of loser, unprofessional mentality I'd expect from Dubas.

Teams like Vegas and Florida don't care about what people think of their trades. They just want to ice the best playoff team possible

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

where is dreger ,he negotiated marners last contract on tsn

• Haha
Reactions: arso40 and TheShape

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I still think Marner for Shane Wright + First from Seattle make a lot of sense. I doubt we get a significant piece (great current player). Futures, makes more sense to me.

Sign Lindholm.
Use Marner Cap Space to address Defense.
Use First Round (Seattle) pick to acquire a goalie.
Bring Domi back
Trade Kampf
(Matthews/Lindholm/JT/Wright/Holmberg/Minten) is excellent depth.

This also allows us to pressure JT to take a low AAV if he wants to come back. Play him at LW.

Just playing with cap friendly to see what this ends up looking like.

Reactions: arso40

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Let me know if you ever get tired of the schoolyard insults and feel like discussing hockey like a adult.
Start backing up your claims that the numbers are somehow skewed by impact on all the games or keep your silly posts out of adult forums. You are the one making audacious claims based on nothing.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
They really should be looking at trading any combination of those three under performers. Marner is the biggest punk, so he’s a logical choice.
In the fall, there are enough leaves on the ground to rake up before I shake the tree for some more.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Keeping things simple, Mitchy holds all the power right now. He says whether he stays or goes until next July 1st when he hits UFA.

If I was him, I'd play the 'I'm honouring my contract' card and ride out the year, put up PP points feeding Matthews/Willie then cash in as a UFA.

We're not going to win this situation, it was lost when Dubas gave out a NMC in the last year of his contract.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Keeping things simple, Mitchy holds all the power right now. He says whether he stays or goes until next July 1st when he hits UFA.

If I was him, I'd play the 'I'm honouring my contract' card and ride out the year, put up PP points feeding Matthews/Willie then cash in as a UFA.

We're not going to win this situation, it was lost when Dubas gave out a NMC in the last year of his contract.
If you believe some of the insiders, it is not how it is expected to play out. There is a chance he is not traded because Tre is not able to find a suitable trade partner but Mitch will be told they are moving on. If he thinks waiting a year is best for him, good luck but either way he is done here.

If I am running the show and it was decided he is not part of the future, Mitch is moving to PP2 and not playing with Matthews. I can't see him getting over 90 points if he is not on PP1 and not playing with Matty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad