Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
You said he produces in the playoffs and I showed you stats that show otherwise and then you reply with yea but he got a series winning goal last year and screens the goalie. All that screening the goalies for 11m has sure worked out. If you think Tavares is awesome in the playoffs then I say... YOU need to watch the games.

ROFL , I watched too many Leafs games with Mitch "needs to go" Marner.

Like I give a f*ck who collects secondary assists on Auston goals. No one cares about Mitch totals. I never said JT is a playoff stud. Unless compared to Scared Mitch.

Had Mitch scored a series-winning goal, you would be building him a statue...

You have to be a real moron to think Mitch is useful in playoffs. Plus JT is untradeable, came here as UFA and plays somewhat playoff hockey.

For the record, you showed sh*t. No one cares about Mitchs stats. The scared kiddo is playing 30 min a game with the best goal scorer in the league, his assists don't matter, how many goals did he score?

Reactions: HolyCrap

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I know someone who knows the family intimately. Mitch is full blown Stockholm Syndromed....His father acts like nickels are manhole covers and he is the one driving the bus. That CityTV video from when Mitch was 7yrs old is dead on.
If this is true, than it's really bad news. Paul will be happy for Mitch to stay a Leaf just to stick it to the team. He'll sit at home laughing while Mitch takes all the heat, the fans we get a year long circus show followed by either Mitch walking for nothing (preferable) or the worst case scenario - Tre bends over for Paul and Leaf fans get another decade of irrelevance.

This is what happens when management doesn't have the balls to move a star player while you still can, and hope that if you ignore problems long enough, they'll somehow fix themselves. What a nightmare this has turned into.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
No thank you. JT is overpaid but he still contributes in the playoffs.

Both need to go, one has nothing to do with Marner absofu*kinglutely needing to be off this team yesterday.
Tavares is too slow, MM might not be big, but you can count on him on the PP which is huge in the PO. JT holds this team back.

• Haha

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Due to us drafting late 1st round for the foreseeable future I rarely follow the draft any more.

Is there a cornerstone dman available early this year? If yes, it might actually be the time to use Marners trade value. He can get us into the early part of round 1 and we finally develop a stud dman since Burke drafting Rielly. Then just need to be savvy with the cap space that opens up.

Rielly is also getting old and Matthew-Nylander duo has a good 5 years left in them before Nylander ages out. We need to start thinking about short term and long term both. There's going to be 1-2 years of contending window left where it's just Matthews as the last amigo standing. We need to make sure that team is fundamentally well built. I want multiple cups. One now and then at least one more again before Matthews retires.

There are cornerstone players available at 23 as well. This is a pretty deep draft, you could get a really good Center or dman at 23. But I’d like to see the leafs try and trade up to get New Jersey or Buffalos pick. Maybe Marner is willing to go to Jersey and reunite with Keefe

Reactions: CincoHolio

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Like I give a f*ck who collects secondary assists on Auston goals. No one cares about Mitch totals. I never said JT is a playoff stud. Unless compared to Scared Mitch.

You have to be a real moron to think Mitch is useful in playoffs. Plus JT is untradeable, came here as UFA and plays somewhat playoff hockey.

For the record, you showed sh*t. No one cares about Mitchs stats. The scared kiddo is playing 30 min a game with the best goal scorer in the league, his assists don't matter, how many goals did he score?

Mitch Marner leads the team in primary assists actually. In the last four playoff series I believe it is, he has a total of 3 secondary assists and 18 primary. Someone posted the stats in this thread. 21 assists 3 of them are secondary. So that secondary assist argument is horse shit.

You guys can’t have it both ways, you say he’s a secondary assist guy and then when that’s proven to be dead wrong, you start saying assists don’t matter at all LOL. Make it make sense.

That being said I do agree he needs to go. He just does not provide enough goal scoring value for the amount of money he makes

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Due to us drafting late 1st round for the foreseeable future I rarely follow the draft any more.

Is there a cornerstone dman available early this year? If yes, it might actually be the time to use Marners trade value. He can get us into the early part of round 1 and we finally develop a stud dman since Burke drafting Rielly. Then just need to be savvy with the cap space that opens up.

Rielly is also getting old and Matthew-Nylander duo has a good 5 years left in them before Nylander ages out. We need to start thinking about short term and long term both. There's going to be 1-2 years of contending window left where it's just Matthews as the last amigo standing. We need to make sure that team is fundamentally well built. I want multiple cups. One now and then at least one more again before Matthews retires.
Just wondering - why do you think Nylander will 'age out' before Matthews? Is it just that he's a year older? With Matty's litany of injuries you might think it would be the other way around.

I do agree that Dubas managed to waste a good part of the prime of those two, including likely the coming season.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Mitch Marner leads the team in primary assists actually. In the last four playoff series I believe it is, he has a total of 3 secondary assists and 18 primary. Someone posted the stats in this thread. 21 assists 3 of them are secondary. So that secondary assist argument is horse shit.

You guys can’t have it both ways, you say he’s a secondary assist guy and then when that’s proven to be dead wrong, you start saying assists don’t matter at all LOL. Make it make sense.

That being said I do agree he needs to go. He just does not provide enough goal scoring value for the amount of money he makes
You might want to confirm those stats

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
There are a couple of different points being made in this thread that i agree with.

One is that Mitch may not be worth what his next contract will pay.
Another is that even if he is, he may not be a fit with the leafs style under Berube
A third is that a roster with 4 x 10m plus forwards can’t be well enough balanced to win.

Any one of these three, on its own, is a reason to consider moving him.

To keep Mitch, if you agree with those points, requires Mitch to take a discount and alter his style, while moving at least one if not two of the others.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
In terms of ELC contract to second deal, only McDavid ($12.5 million), Matthews ($11.6 million) have made a bigger jump in AAV than Marner ($10.9 million). Eichel is next at $10 million.

I ask myself, did Mitch Marner have the 3rd greatest first three years in the NHL in this era to justify that initial contract? Answer is probably not.

Since then, has he scored 40 goals? No. Has he scored 100 points? No. Has he contended for a scoring title? No. Has he won a major award? No. Has he won one of the other awards? No. Has he won a Stanley Cup? No. Has he been to the finals. No. Has he been to the conference finals? No.

And yet, he wants a raise to $12.5 million? How about no?

Are you able to show us who had the next best?

I would think Rantanen is probably third best. Draisaitl would have been ahead of Marner, what about Laine? His ELC years were pretty good too. MacKinnon probably a little less. Marner’s production was higher than Eichel’s 3 ELC years so I do understand him being paid more than Eichel.

Eichel at 10 million at the time was very rich but Buffalo had to do whatever they could to convince the kid to stay but that contract was the contract that put doomsday into motion for the leafs not Tavares. The leafs guys looked at that contract and said we are way better than Eichel and he’s getting 10 mill, we are about to make a shit ton of money. Eichel IMO was the direct ELC comparable.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You might want to confirm those stats

It was posted by @ULF_55 . He only did the last four or five playoff series. He was trying to show how Marner has less goals since JT’s arrival. He posted the primary and secondary stats. Marner has way less goals but he had 21 assists if I remember correctly 18 primary, 3 secondary. Ulf could post the screen shot again if he has it.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Tavares is too slow, MM might not be big, but you can count on him on the PP which is huge in the PO. JT holds this team back.
I guess you missed the playoffs this year.

The PP was terrible (4.8%), and the only PP goal was by Tavares while Mitch was on the bench! (Tavares, Matthews, Bertuzzi, Jarnkrok and McCabe were on the ice.)

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I guess you missed the playoffs this year.

The PP was terrible (4.8%), and the only PP goal was by Tavares while Mitch was on the bench! (Tavares, Matthews, Bertuzzi, Jarnkrok and McCabe were on the ice.)
giphy.webp

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Marner is a hostage to his father who is the one in control. The father overreacts to small things which is a typical way people can try to manipulate others.
Yes. I’m going to now examine the Paul/Mitch dynamic from a Freudian lens.

Mitch unconsciously sabotages himself in the playoffs (especially when the series is on the line) to get revenge on his overbearing father. Paul has castrated him and failure is the only tool Mitch has to stick it to the butcher.

$200 please

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Yes. I’m going to now examine the Paul/Mitch dynamic from a Freudian lens.

Mitch unconsciously sabotages himself in the playoffs (especially when the series is on the line) to get revenge on his overbearing father. Paul has castrated him and failure is the only tool Mitch has to stick it to the butcher.

$200 please
I wasn't making the claim.

Another person asked the question what Stockholm syndrome was

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Any speculation on line mates for Marner at the 4 Nations tournament?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Your last sentence shows a sophistication you can’t see here with the back slapping bottom feeder contingent (it’s so amusing). The guy isn’t a total bust player, with zero positive attributes. He isn’t a spoiled brat, his teammates love him, he’s a great person..but you can’t say that here because insecure nobodies must make everything a negative. Your primary assist comment another example, it’s okay small men to admit he does some things well. You can still see his flaws and support a trade, but that’s a bit too complicated for the hate circle jerkers here.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think Hyman - McDavid - Marner is probably the line.

MacKinnon said he wants to play on the wing with Crosby. So you’d have to think Marchand - Crosby - MacKinnon will be a line
Yeah I was thinking Hyman and McDavid.
I’m know he trains a lot if Mackinnon so there is familiarity but not sure he would fit on that line.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Any speculation on line mates for Marner at the 4 Nations tournament?
Back in the day we could joke that he would play with Jarnkrok and Karlsson.

In all likelihood he’ll be the primary PK and third line RW with Crosby.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Your last sentence shows a sophistication you can’t see here with the back slapping bottom feeder contingent (it’s so amusing). The guy isn’t a total bust player, with zero positive attributes. He isn’t a spoiled brat, his teammates love him, he’s a great person..but you can’t say that here because insecure nobodies must make everything a negative. Your primary assist comment another example, it’s okay small men to admit he does some things well. You can still see his flaws and support a trade, but that’s a bit too complicated for the hate circle jerkers here.
Wow, how can you be so insecure? Even his harshest critics agree that he's a very good player during the regular season which 100% refutes your nonsense right there.

You build this strawman and then go on this ridiculous rant with "back slapping bottom feeder contingent (it’s so amusing)" ... "insecure nobodies" ... "small men" ... "hate circle jerkers".

Mod Edit : To move personal portion,

Last edited by a moderator:

myleafs

May 25, 2021

You said and I quote..JT is overpaid but he still contributes in the playoffs......so.....

What the flying fk are you going on about? Read your post...who the fk said anything about secondary assists on Austons goals? not me. and where did I say Mitch was useful in the playoffs? Ill wait. Go back and read my posts and tell me I would build a statue for Marner...btw I want him gone like yesterday..I never showed his stats by the way. We were talking about Tavares and you stated he produces in the playoffs which he doesnt. I showed you stats that show he doesnt and you hurl 2 insults at me and spew on about shit I never said. So either you are responding to the wrong post though this is the 2nd time regarding the Tavares stuff or your drunk. Figure it out.

Reactions: francis246

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Marner would be a great asset on a team if he was making 8-8.5 but at 11-12.5 is a roster killer.
Maybe a different team. He and Matthews together are too soft and weak to pay that kind of money for. I could see him being a poor man's Panarin, but I'm not sure anyone is really looking for a $12+ million poor man's Panarin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad