Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Good point, I used to see Lukes Troops alot during broadcasts but haven't seen any Marner Assist at games.
My gut is the program is more tied to the community and Marner than the Leafs, so I expect it'd continue. May look a little different but honestly outside of this thread I had no idea it existed.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Marner Assist Foundation financial details attached.

Looks like a huge jump in revenue and expenses in two years. Bonnie and Paul are directors.

This is a tough situation for them, could he leave amicably and still run the foundation? Or would it fold. I don't think players ever continue their foundations. Lukes Troops or whatever it was ended or may have been transferred to a teammate for a bit (Dion?).

People that really wanna do "good" in the society and are not in it for personal gain will continue to do the good in the society.

People hate on PK Subban; but even after he was traded to Preds he continued to support Montreal children's hospital and that partnership still continues.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Defend what exactly? I've been pretty clear what I think is the right avenue and it is always backed up if unclear. This is in direct contrast than your ham fisted bumbling attempts to use statistics to make a dumb point.
Bumbling attempts? So you think me using advanced stats is a bumbling attempt but you saying your pretty sure Marner is better at shooting and playing physical than us fans is less of a bumbling attempt?!

Ive highlighted it below in all it's glory:

I don't accept the presupposition that he doesn't have a shot nor cant play is a physical series. Compared to what?
I am 99.9% sure that he could do both of those things to a far greater extent than yourself. Who or what are you comparing him to and why?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
He is all about money. The Marners are using every angle to secure the most money and mitigate taxes. This isnt some passionate player that wants to win if he has to make sacrifices. He wants others to make sacrifices for him and to look good, win and make even more money.

Pretty much exactly as I read his personality off the hop. Just in interviews in Jr I disliked him, found him obnoxious and weasely.

Feels good calling a spade a spade but at the cost of my teams progress towards getting a cup kinda sucks.

I’m not even sure how much of the negotiations are him. It really seems like he’s the pawn, and is camp is moving him around the board to benefit themselves at his expense. It's almost like he's a hostage.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Marner Assist Foundation financial details attached.

Looks like a huge jump in revenue and expenses in two years. Bonnie and Paul are directors.

This is a tough situation for them, could he leave amicably and still run the foundation? Or would it fold. I don't think players ever continue their foundations. Lukes Troops or whatever it was ended or may have been transferred to a teammate for a bit (Dion?).

love him or hate him PK kept his promise to the Montreal hospital he donated to even after being traded, class act on this gesture.............

Basically he is worth more to the owners of this hockey teams media division than he is worth to the Leafs on the ice..
so, in a nutshell jersey sales............

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
View attachment 880530

And he will win Rocket again this season.

Sure there are no "Team Accomplishments" but quite frankly for team accomplishments, especially in hockey, you need help from your teammates, linemates, coach and management.

Matthews is a generational player, Marner types come and go. marner isn't in Matthews' tier man.

Matthews needs to do more sure.... but IMO he had to carry the deadweight that is Marner on his line. Matthews was the only shooter, and when Matthews makes plays Marner wouldn't shoot, figure skate forcing plays and turnover the puck. Have you ever seen Marner cycle the f***ing puck in the playoffs? Matthews can cycle and hold on to the puck, he wins board battles more often than not and then when he makes a play there is nobody to make something out of it. Matthews alone can't do it all.

Imagine McDavid doing everything without having Bouchard shooting rockets from the point; Drai and Hyman not shooting the puck.

Team construction matters. Matthews is paid really high AAV for a short-term that I agree but Matthews is also pretty good!
Like I said nothing meaningful. I think he had a U18 championship.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
One thing I learned is, the media definitely reads HFboards

I posted the twitter link to the Berube pic with Marner, within a minute spittin chicklets posted the exact same link

Then the Tkachuk "trade rumors" I brought up lol
And vice versa, the media drives so much of the talk on here. They start a bs narrative and next thing you know LeaFland wants that shiny player or they're laying down a rail to run x-player out of town.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Domi 5v5 points/60 - 2.73 - sample size 968 mins
Marner 5v5 points/60 - 2.68 - sample size 1006 mins

Marner core 3 linemate mins
Marner mins with Matthews: 721 mins
Marner mins with Tavares: 225 mins
Marner mins with Nylander: 73
Total mins with core 3: 1019 mins

Domi mins with Matthews: 206 mins
Domi mins with Tavares: 73 mins
Domi mins with Nylander: 190
Totals mins with core 3: 469 mins

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Domi 5v5 points/60 - 2.73 - sample size 968 mins
Marner 5v5 points/60 - 2.68 - sample size 1006 mins

Marner core 3 linemate mins
Marner mins with Matthews: 721 mins
Marner mins with Tavares: 225 mins
Marner mins with Nylander: 73
Total mins with core 3: 1019 mins

Domi mins with Matthews: 206 mins
Domi mins with Tavares: 73 mins
Domi mins with Nylander: 190
Totals mins with core 3: 469 mins

Domi is a keeper. Plus he plays the right way in the playoffs. Oh boy and the cap...

edit: we keep trading away Hyman, Kadri and so on to keep Mitch and his raise....

myleafs

May 25, 2021
At least marner on other hand, we know he's conn smythe worthy if he has a good playoffs. players like liljegren, they're "good" might still just be average so he's not worth wasting another year on. Get rid of him.
Thats a pretty big IF

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I think with a good coach Lily is doing mighty fine right now. Keefe is a basketcase coach imho.

I would not trade Lily in a package with Marner unless it makes total sense.
The guy cant stay healthy....every time he starts to find his footing he gets hurt and it sets him back. Im not really sure what his ceiling is at this point.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

myleafs

May 25, 2021
No thank you. JT is overpaid but he still contributes in the playoffs.

Both need to go, one has nothing to do with Marner absofu*kinglutely needing to be off this team yesterday.
He really doesn't...

46pts in 62 playoff games....2 pts in 7gms this year

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Treliving has seen his superstars value leave without a value return investment before. A full no movement clause makes it difficult to negotiate with anybody. If Marner intends to bet on himself, there is little Treliving can do.

He is just one player, but he takes up a lot of cap space. One could argue one player shouldn’t effect the teams play so much as to sink them in the playoffs, but that cap is blocking bringing in legitimate difference makers on D or Goal.

I am interested in seeing how the new coach could motivate him to be a difference maker himself.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
In terms of ELC contract to second deal, only McDavid ($12.5 million), Matthews ($11.6 million) have made a bigger jump in AAV than Marner ($10.9 million). Eichel is next at $10 million.

I ask myself, did Mitch Marner have the 3rd greatest first three years in the NHL in this era to justify that initial contract? Answer is probably not.

Since then, has he scored 40 goals? No. Has he scored 100 points? No. Has he contended for a scoring title? No. Has he won a major award? No. Has he won one of the other awards? No. Has he won a Stanley Cup? No. Has he been to the finals. No. Has he been to the conference finals? No.

And yet, he wants a raise to $12.5 million? How about no?
When you look at it that way he looks even worse then I thought

I’m not even sure how much of the negotiations are him. It really seems like he’s the pawn, and is camp is moving him around the board to benefit themselves at his expense. It's almost like he's a hostage.
He’s a grown man and a God…………so yes it is him

Reactions: socko

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Treliving has seen his superstars value leave without a value return investment before. A full no movement clause makes it difficult to negotiate with anybody. If Marner intends to bet on himself, there is little Treliving can do.

He is just one player, but he takes up a lot of cap space. One could argue one player shouldn’t effect the teams play so much as to sink them in the playoffs, but that cap is blocking bringing in legitimate difference makers on D or Goal.

I am interested in seeing how the new coach could motivate him to be a difference maker himself.
I am growing to loathe the bet on yourself culture. Marner took a 6 year term instead of 8.

My brother in christ, there is no more betting, you've already made it big if you're making 11M at age 22

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Bumbling attempts? So you think me using advanced stats is a bumbling attempt but you saying your pretty sure Marner is better at shooting and playing physical than us fans is less of a bumbling attempt?!

Ive highlighted it below in all it's glory:
WHY. WASTE. YOUR. TIME.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I am growing to loathe the bet on yourself culture. Marner took a 6 year term instead of 8.

My brother in christ, there is no more betting, you've already made it big if you're making 11M at age 22
I figure most would be excited given how often Marner crumbles under pressure

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
He really doesn't...

46pts in 62 playoff games....2 pts in 7gms this year

And yet he scored a series-winning goal last year. Plus, you need to watch games, rarely points for screening the goalie, important nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad