Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
LMAO it won't fly. DO you remember the "fan letter" after he signed his RFA deal? People were pissed

hockey gods finally throwing us a bone ;)
Think about that for a second...a guy who just re-signed with his favorite childhood team had to write a love letter to the fans because he knows he bent them over. This toxicity needs to go.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I’m not even sure how much of the negotiations are him. It really seems like he’s the pawn, and is camp is moving him around the board to benefit themselves at his expense. It's almost like he's a hostage.
I know someone who knows the family intimately. Mitch is full blown Stockholm Syndromed....His father acts like nickels are manhole covers and he is the one driving the bus. That CityTV video from when Mitch was 7yrs old is dead on.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I know someone who knows the family intimately. Mitch is full blown Stockholm Syndromed....His father acts like nickels are manhole covers and he is the one driving the bus. That CityTV video from when Mitch was 7yrs old is dead on.

That makes sense. I don't know the family at all, but I do know a lot of what Paul tried to pull in London.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
And yet he scored a series-winning goal last year. Plus, you need to watch games, rarely points for screening the goalie, important nonetheless.
You said he produces in the playoffs and I showed you stats that show otherwise and then you reply with yea but he got a series winning goal last year and screens the goalie. All that screening the goalies for 11m has sure worked out. If you think Tavares is awesome in the playoffs then I say... YOU need to watch the games.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The irony is the Leafs offered him a 7 year deal that his side scoffed at, and they settled for a 6 year deal instead...had he signed the 7 year deal, Tavares' contract would end before his, so he would have still been around with JT off the books...karma is a funny thing.
They expire at the same time, so he would still be here when JT’s expires…

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Your presuppositions about my comments are again full of lies. They are very clear. Why don't you go play in the kiddie pool instead of playing grown up?

You can only control the possible. Tre has never indicated he is willing to let Marner go for nothing. He has narrow options.
True, but he also said that they would not make a trade for the sake of just making one. Of course he wants to get as much as he can, and hopefully he’ll be able to do that, but if not then Marner will be back, BUT he will not be resigned.

Reactions: arso40

CaptainCrunch17

Dec 31, 2010
North of Toronto
Regardless of whether Marner is worth 10M plus per year or not, I simply don’t believe you can build a successful Stanley Cup contender having four players making over 10M per year in a salary cap structure.

It simply doesn’t allow a team to round out a competitive enough roster around them.

I believe the only player on this team that is worth 10M plus is Auston Matthews.

The Tavares UFA contract set the table for the Leafs to unfortunately overpay their young stars, in that they paid them like they were UFA’s instead of the controllable assets that they were at the time. And those overpayments set the table for the mess we have now.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Regardless of whether Marner is worth 10M plus per year or not, I simply don’t believe you can build a successful Stanley Cup contender having four players making over 10M per year in a salary cap structure.

It simply doesn’t allow a team to round out a competitive enough roster around them.

I believe the only player on this team that is worth 10M plus is Auston Matthews.

The Tavares UFA contract set the table for the Leafs to unfortunately overpay their young stars, in that they paid them like they were UFA’s instead of the controllable assets that they were at the time. And those overpayments set the table for the mess we have now.

It's not just that you have 4 players making so much, but they're all forwards, and specifically two are wingers.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Here’s the value proposition for Marner making $10.9 million.

You take Mikko Rantanen at $9.25 million per season. Take away 4 inches and 20 pounds, 1x 50 goal season, 2x 100 point seasons, a Stanley Cup, add $1.65 million to the base salary. And that’s Mitch.

If Marner made $9.25 million per year, it would still be debatable whether it was a great deal or just alright.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Bumbling attempts? So you think me using advanced stats is a bumbling attempt but you saying your pretty sure Marner is better at shooting and playing physical than us fans is less of a bumbling attempt?!

Ive highlighted it below in all it's glory:
I don’t know why you’re bothering wasting your time talking to him dude. Lol

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
They expire at the same time, so he would still be here when JT’s expires…
They expire the same time now, but the Leafs had offered Marner a 7 year contract and Marner shortened it to 6 years. Had Marner signed 7 years with the Leafs, Tavares would be off the books a year before Marner.

Reactions: arso40

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
i like friedman…. but this is a brutal take.
the leafs are scared marner will go on to have a good season with another “quieter” market after the leafs trade him?? if he needs a “quieter” market to perform, then toronto is not for him anyway. And comparing it to the kadri situation makes no sense. two completely different things. Kadri was guaranteed to have success on a better team. he was already an emotional heart and soul player. just needed to learn to pick his spots better. i really hope the leafs aren’t basing these big decisions on how they’ll look in hindsight.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I did include St. Auston 13.25 + Nylander 11.5 + Marner 12.5 = $37.25. Insanity is if we overpay Mitch $12.5m after overpaying for the other two a second time already.
A more appropriate complaint would be about having already paid $33M per year to three players who have lost 6 of 7 playoff series.

Nylander has been paid only $7M per year, and has been likely their best playoff performer.

It's bad enough that we will be paying (barring trades) $47M this season for the four of them - next season we had better just be keeping the two best, who will still be costing $25M.

At least their overpayment is nowhere near as bad as the other two.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

I believe willy has been our best playoff performer last year matthews is our best player for sure but I believe their both worth 10 mil for sure

A more appropriate complaint would be about having already paid $33M per year to three players who have lost 6 of 7 playoff series.

Nylander has been paid only $7M per year, and has been likely their best playoff performer.

It's bad enough that we will be paying (barring trades) $47M this season for the four of them - next season we had better just be keeping the two best, who will still be costing $25M.

At least their overpayment is nowhere near as bad as the other two.
Agreed its not matthews and Willie's contracts that are constricting us

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
And yet he scored a series-winning goal last year. Plus, you need to watch games, rarely points for screening the goalie, important nonetheless.
I agree that JT contributes in other ways than scoring - faceoffs, physical play, and he always gives 117% (or whatever the appropriate number is this week), but your examples weren't well chosen.

His series winning goal was a dump towards the net that was going well wide before it banked in off a defender. He does not really screen the goalie except by accident - particularly on the PP he is usually just off to the side, looking for a deflection or rebound.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Due to us drafting late 1st round for the foreseeable future I rarely follow the draft any more.

Is there a cornerstone dman available early this year? If yes, it might actually be the time to use Marners trade value. He can get us into the early part of round 1 and we finally develop a stud dman since Burke drafting Rielly. Then just need to be savvy with the cap space that opens up.

Rielly is also getting old and Matthew-Nylander duo has a good 5 years left in them before Nylander ages out. We need to start thinking about short term and long term both. There's going to be 1-2 years of contending window left where it's just Matthews as the last amigo standing. We need to make sure that team is fundamentally well built. I want multiple cups. One now and then at least one more again before Matthews retires.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Due to us drafting late 1st round for the foreseeable future I rarely follow the draft any more.

Is there a cornerstone dman available early this year? If yes, it might actually be the time to use Marners trade value. He can get us into the early part of round 1 and we finally develop a stud dman since Burke drafting Rielly. Then just need to be savvy with the cap space that opens up.

Rielly is also getting old and Matthew-Nylander duo has a good 5 years left in them before Nylander ages out. We need to start thinking about short term and long term both. There's going to be 1-2 years of contending window left where it's just Matthews as the last amigo standing. We need to make sure that team is fundamentally well built. I want multiple cups. One now and then at least one more again before Matthews retires.
Young skilled players aren't a guarantee to elevate your team.

3 amigos were giving contenders trouble as kids. Without the means to grow facial hair they could still carry us to a game 7 at the very least.

Other teams don't get this same impact from their young core players. Devils still can't figure out how to even make the playoffs.

Cap went to 88 mil so it would be absolutely foolish to not keep riding with our 3 studs. We're still recovering from the Dubas era. Let's not sacrifice Marner over that clowns mistakes.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
It's not just that you have 4 players making so much, but they're all forwards, and specifically two are wingers.
In this current setup every team in the league will need to take it to the very last bounce if they were to knock us out of the playoffs in round 1. This is the one fact always left out when people speak about our cap structure.

I'm so confused why we're not going to just smartly build on top of this, in contrast to getting worse in the optimistic hope the cap space makes us better after we fill it up. The odds of that are so low. Every team that doesn't have stud players do this every season and stay average. Why are you guys so keen on dropping into the average.

We're just going to end up the same as the Flames watching Tkachuk make the cup finals on a team that actually knows how to build.

Reactions: Confucius

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
In this current setup every team in the league will need to take it to the very last bounce if they were to knock us out of the playoffs in round 1. This is the one fact always left out when people speak about our cap structure.

I'm so confused why we're not going to just smartly build on top of this, in contrast to getting worse in the optimistic hope the cap space makes us better after we fill it up. The odds of that are so low. Every team that doesn't have stud players do this every season and stay average. Why are you guys so keen on dropping into the average.

We're just going to end up the same as the Flames watching Tkachuk make the cup finals on a team that actually knows how to build.
A few truths
Every team does knock us out
We can’t smartly build on top of this because 4 guys take all the money.(this cannot be denied)
Like the last 100 years the team going to win the cup has not allocated its cap like the leafs have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad