Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Even I'm a little surprised at the amount of hate this guy is finally generating.

Well deserved in my opinion. The result of an individual who simply cannot connect with the average fan. Because of his inability to offer honest self-reflection.

The product of an over-privileged childhood.

This is a message to management. We don't want this loser with a bad attitude on the team anymore. People are burning and pawning his jersey's already.

They ARE going to boo him.

Fans could tolerate a loser if he had a good attitude. And they can tolerate a dick so long as he's a winner. But they won't put up with a loser with a bad attitude.

That's Marner.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Pesce is like the most overrated guy since David Clarkson.
Reinhart would be sweet. But doubt Florida lets him go.

Reinhart would be great but wouldn’t bother re-signing Bertuzzi and Domi if we got him and became super heavy up front and up top.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Reinhart would be great but wouldn’t bother re-signing Bertuzzi and Domi if we got him and became super heavy up front and up top.
Almost have to sign Domi IMO. He outplayed his contract once he moved to Matthews line. I need more of that. Plus, we need a pass first guy playing with Matthews, he's the best goal scorer in the league. Bertuzzi can go as well as Marner and Tavares. 3 out, 1 in. Plenty of money. I also might resign Samsonov for a year on what should be a cheap contract, with the hopes of Woll becoming the guy, and knowing Ulmark is a year from UFA and better than anything this year.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Seeing as it’s by far most likely Marner is here next season, I’m going to will the Marner redemption arc into existence

Here’s hoping Berube/Lambert can get him to take the next step in his compete level/challenge him, he finds the fun again, stops being combative with the media, steps up as a leader for this team and has a great season.

Acesup

Nov 23, 2019
Reinhart has been invisible eveytime I've watched Florida this postseason, so if you wanna replace Marner that would be a place to start. He's also scores alot of goals on the pp and ours sucks so I feel that would be a disaster. Re sign Domi amd use cap savings to improve defense. Replace Bertuzzi with a better top 6 winger.

I don't get what people like about Bertuzzi he was trash for most of the season.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
In this current setup every team in the league will need to take it to the very last bounce if they were to knock us out of the playoffs in round 1. This is the one fact always left out when people speak about our cap structure.

The best reason to keep the team together is because we’re close to winning a 4th game most years? Getting to the second round is 1/4 of the way to the real goal…

I'm so confused why we're not going to just smartly build on top of this, in contrast to getting worse in the optimistic hope the cap space makes us better after we fill it up. The odds of that are so low. Every team that doesn't have stud players do this every season and stay average. Why are you guys so keen on dropping into the average.

We can’t build on top of it because of the salary cap.

We’re not advocating that we get rid of all the elite talent. Just get rid of one of them, so you can better allocate the money.

We're just going to end up the same as the Flames watching Tkachuk make the cup finals on a team that actually knows how to build.

Tkachuk was traded for a player more like Marner….

Seeing as it’s by far most likely Marner is here next season, I’m going to will the Marner redemption arc into existence

Here’s hoping Berube/Lambert can get him to take the next step in his compete level/challenge him, he finds the fun again, stops being combative with the media, steps up as a leader for this team and has a great season.

Then he can walk away as a UFA…

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The best reason to keep the team together is because we’re close to winning a 4th game most years? Getting to the second round is 1/4 of the way to the real goal…

We can’t build on top of it because of the salary cap.

We’re not advocating that we get rid of all the elite talent. Just get rid of one of them, so you can better allocate the money.

Tkachuk was traded for a player more like Marner….

Then he can walk away as a UFA…

Well, redemption arc would also probably include a 8 year extension at a modest raise. If he had the season I just mentioned you’d want to keep him around.

If he wants to walk as a UFA that’s entirely in his control, so I’m not going to sit here and fuss about it right now

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Well, redemption arc would also probably include a 8 year extension at a modest raise. If he had the season I just mentioned you’d want to keep him around.

If he wants to walk as a UFA that’s entirely in his control, so I’m not going to sit here and fuss about it right now

You can’t have both Marner and Nylander. With a salary cap, spending that much at the least important position is foolish. It forces you to spend less at the more impactful positions, which makes winning prohibitive.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You can’t have both Marner and Nylander. With a salary cap, spending that much at the least important position is foolish. It forces you to spend less at the more impactful positions, which makes winning prohibitive.
I'm on record as suggesting the minute they signed Tavares, they should have dealt one of their young wingers for help on D or G.

Building from the wingers in, under any plan is futile because its the least important position in team building, if you want to have Stanley Cup playoff success.

We are now at a crossroads where we would like to perhaps remove both JT and Marner going forward and rebuild.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Even I'm a little surprised at the amount of hate this guy is finally generating.

Well deserved in my opinion. The result of an individual who simply cannot connect with the average fan. Because of his inability to offer honest self-reflection.

The product of an over-privileged childhood.

This is a message to management. We don't want this loser with a bad attitude on the team anymore. People are burning and pawning his jersey's already.

They ARE going to boo him.

Fans could tolerate a loser if he had a good attitude. And they can tolerate a dick so long as he's a winner. But they won't put up with a loser with a bad attitude.

That's Marner.

We are being told he did not have a privileged childhood and that’s why he or he is family is money hungry now in his adulthood. So which is it?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Almost have to sign Domi IMO. He outplayed his contract once he moved to Matthews line. I need more of that. Plus, we need a pass first guy playing with Matthews, he's the best goal scorer in the league. Bertuzzi can go as well as Marner and Tavares. 3 out, 1 in. Plenty of money. I also might resign Samsonov for a year on what should be a cheap contract, with the hopes of Woll becoming the guy, and knowing Ulmark is a year from UFA and better than anything this year.
I really wanted us to extend Domi even before he started playing with Matthews. But of course we had to wait and now pay more because that's just the way we do things around here. So frustrating.

Reactions: socko

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

SUNRISE, Fla. — There are no plans to ask Mitch Marner to waive the no-trade arrangement on his contract with the Maple Leafs.

But that doesn’t mean the Leafs don’t have serious interest in dealing Marner, possibly closer to the NHL draft or into the summer.

Here’s the plan, much as there is one: The Leafs have basically let it be known in the hockey world they are in trade mode. Just about anyone and everyone is for sale except for Auston Matthews and William Nylander.

The idea, according to those close to general manager Brad Treliving, is to build a Leafs team that can be more competitive come playoff time — better and tougher to play against — both stronger defensively and steadier in goal.

It’s a tall order for the GM, considering the Florida Panthers are playing for the Stanley Cup for the second straight year and Tampa was in the Cup final the three years prior to that. If the Leafs want to go deeper in the playoffs, the road goes through Florida, Tampa and Boston, teams they’ve struggled with in the past.

The NHL knows it’s open season on Marner offers. How often is a 95-point, penalty-killing winger available? The Leafs won’t put the cart before the horse here. They will listen. If one of the offers meets their needs, then — and only then — will they involve Marner in the process and try to convince him why it’s in his best interest to look elsewhere.

If no deal for Marner can be completed — or he doesn’t allow one — it makes next season a greater challenge than expected. The Leafs need help in goal and on defence and, with next-to-no money to spend, what’s Treliving to do?

One year from now, Marner’s contract and that of captain John Tavares will expire, opening up $22 million in payroll, with an increasing salary cap and only $40 million committed. That’s when Leafs management — and not players — will be in control of the payroll and, by extension, the team.

But not until then.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Trade Marner, sign Montour and Pesce.

Would be the perfect offseason for me.

Posted this in another thread but this applies here too ;)

Of the total increase in cap to 88M, 6.2M is already gone to Matthews and Nylander raises. We have 18.8M in cap space for next season. if we spend about 5M on our RFAs in total (Robertson, Liljegren, Dewar and let Gregor walk)
we will have about 18.8-5M = 13.8M (round it to 14M)

If we dump Marner in addition to Jankrok and Kampf we will have 14+11 + 2.1 + 2.4 = 29.5M to spend to round out the roster.

additions from UFA in bolded

Domi+Bert/Toffoli = 7M
Lindholm = 7M* (TBD of course lol)
DeMelo/Pesce (one of them) = 4 to 5M -> (note: Pesce declined 5x5 offer from Canes apparently... don't want him at more than that though)
Edmundson = 1.5M
Montour = 6.5 to 7 AAV
TOTAL: 26 to 27.5 million

Space left:
29.5 - range above about = 2M to 3.5M to spend on a goalie. If we can get a "STUD" goalie then you forego and/or don't do some of the transactions above assuming the STUD goalie will cover for the mistakes ;)

Domi-Matthews-Bert/Toffoli
Knies-Lindholm-Nylander
Cowan-Tavares-McMann
Holmberg/Robertson-Dewar-Reaves/XXX

Rielly Pesce/DeMelo
McCabe Montour/Benoit
Edmundson
/Benoit Liljegren

Woll
XXX

Then when Tavares and his stupid 11 AAV is off the cap we can improve the roster EVEN MORE!!!

Treliving really gotta play this right and not F it. We have a chance to UNDO Dubas' EVIL. We MUST DO IT PRUDENTLY!

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Marner doesnt deserve the criticism he is getting. Tavares should be getting it, the captain who cant skate, makes no impact in a playoff game unless its PP1 in a slowed down setting. 5v5 Tavares is a liability , back pressure and d gap, has him so trapped based on his feet. Marner has value, Tavares has no value at all. With almost identical cap hits, Marner is the name that is floated.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner doesnt deserve the criticism he is getting. Tavares should be getting it, the captain who cant skate, makes no impact in a playoff game unless its PP1 in a slowed down setting. 5v5 Tavares is a liability , back pressure and d gap, has him so trapped based on his feet. Marner has value, Tavares has no value at all. With almost identical cap hits, Marner is the name that is floated.
Pretty sure it has been explained many times why Marner is the odd man out. We would be golden if we could LTIR Tavares or he retires.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
TJ Brodie 78 GP 1G 25A 26PTS +17
B. Pesce 70GP 3G 10A 13PTS +10
Skjei 47 points in 80 games and 9 points in 11 playoff games. Pesce not worth it but Skjei maybe but he is LD and they clearly need RD. I would do package deal for Binnington+ and or Parayko. How they will clear salary by trading Marner which will be difficult but not impossible. I wonder if Marner be interested in NYI?

Reactions: socko

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Its not about points, Leafs need no offense from the backend. They need dmen who can handle the forecheck, win battles along the wall, dmen who take pride in defense.
No, I think they need the offense. Leafs have 2 guys that are like that already and doing well in Benoit and Edmundson. 2 stay at home guys is plenty, and they're not super overrated like Pesce.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Well ya. Get the offer and bring it to marner’s camp that they want to do it / ask to remove NTC. If there’s only lowballs, Leafs aren’t going to bother. How else would this work lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad