Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It’s not about points, Leafs need no offense from the backend. They need dmen who can handle the forecheck, win battles along the wall, dmen who take pride in defense.
And a goalie that can stop the puck on a continuous basis………..oh and not injured all the time

Reactions: HolyCrap

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You have to respect the NMC. Mitch gave us a lower AAV for that protection! wait

I’m not sure why Mitch is taking heat for an NMC the team gave him. Was listening to the SDPN, they hit the nail on the head. The only people responsible for the situation we are in now is Leafs management minus Brad Treliving. We had the chance to trade this guy anytime before July 1st of 2023 and for some reason they didn’t.

Shanahan was too busy trying to win a dick measuring contest with Dubas instead of focusing on improving the team. IMO the moment Shanahan fired Dubas he should have gotten canned by the board as well. There’s no excuse for firing a GM 5 weeks before the draft and arguably the biggest off-season. If Marner is not moved before training camp, I think Shanahan won’t last the full of next season.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I’m not sure why Mitch is taking heat for an NMC the team gave him. Was listening to the SDPN, they hit the nail on the head. The only people responsible for the situation we are in now is Leafs management minus Brad Treliving. We had the chance to trade this guy anytime before July 1st of 2023 and for some reason they didn’t.

Shanahan was too busy trying to win a dick measuring contest with Dubas instead of focusing on improving the team. IMO the moment Shanahan fired Dubas he should have gotten canned by the board as well. There’s no excuse for firing a GM 5 weeks before the draft and arguably the biggest off-season. If Marner is not moved before training camp, I think Shanahan won’t last the full of next season.

Sure, I bet Mitch was like we are done here, all good and Kyle reacted with, nope, let me give you NMC on top of that. Sounds plausible

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Sure, I bet Mitch was like we are done here, all good and Kyle reacted with, nope, let me give you NMC on top of that. Sounds plausible

Okay? If the player asks for one, the team isn’t obligated to give him one. What’s your point? You guys honestly make it sound like Marner had a gun to Dubas’ head. Dubas made those choices of his own free will. Additionally EVERY top player has some form of trade protection. It was pretty much a given he was going to get one. It’s on the team to convince him to make it limited or work it out so you don’t lose all leverage.

None of the contract is really on the player, it’s on the team. They had full control over an RFA and let him dictate the terms. Additionally mitch gave them 4 years of no trade protection, is it his fault the team has waited for the protection to kick in to now want to trade him?! LOL, come on don’t be silly. That’s 100% on the Leafs.

myleafs

May 25, 2021

I agree that management is ultimately responsible for the big contracts, however I would disagree with the bolded. It wasn't the greatest recipe for success but Shanny wanted to re up Dubas and Dubas tried to pull a run around and imo really left Shanny in a tough position. After what Dubas tried to pull, I wouldn't want him working for me, and really, unless Dubas got what he wanted he wasn't staying anyway. He definitely had that pens job in his back pocket before pulling the stunt that he did. Doesn't mean I think Shanny is the 2nd coming....he has his paw prints all over this team and is really the last one (management) who hasn't paid the price for the underwhelming results.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Okay? If the player asks for one, the team isn’t obligated to give him one. What’s your point? You guys honestly make it sound like Marner had a gun to Dubas’ head. Dubas made those choices of his own free will. Additionally EVERY top player has some form of trade protection. It was pretty much a given he was going to get one. It’s on the team to convince him to make it limited or work it out so you don’t lose all leverage.

None of the contract is really on the player, it’s on the team. They had full control over an RFA and let him dictate the terms. Additionally mitch gave them 4 years of no trade protection, is it his fault the team has waited for the protection to kick in to now want to trade him?! LOL, come on don’t be silly. That’s 100% on the Leafs.

Dubas is soft as butter, just like the team he built...should have taken a page out of Yzerman who did not let Drouin push him around, and got a great return with Sergachev by moving him.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Dubas is soft as butter, just like the team he built...should have taken a page out of Yzerman who did not let Drouin push him around, and got a great return with Sergachev by moving him.

Exactly, that’s why I don’t really have any animosity towards Mitch. His contract was moveable for 4 years. Even if as an organization you realized you made a mistake, you had FOUR YEARS to move him. And you didn’t. They also could have moved him as an RFA if they didn’t like how he was negotiating. Idk to me this situation is on the team, they had 5 years (if you include his contract year and off-season he didn’t want to sign) to move on from the guy.

Other teams have moved off guys who don’t want to fall in line and were fine. It sucks but we probably should have done the same after Montreal or last off-season.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

None of the contract is really on the player, it’s on the team. They had full control over an RFA and let him dictate the terms. Additionally mitch gave them 4 years of no trade protection, is it his fault the team has waited for the protectAion to kick in to now want to trade him?! LOL, come on don’t be silly. That’s 100% on the Leafs.
100% it on Shanny and Leafs management. Should have moved him after the loss to the Habs but they instead remained patient and bet everything on him and the rest of the rotten core. Hopefully getting bent over by 2 of 3 wakes up Tre and he won't let Marner do the same.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
See Steven Stamkos who actually had team success. The Leafs are all about keeping the paying public happy. They are afraid to upset the hand that feeds them. Hard to win a SC when you act like you are in the entertainment business and winning is secondary. Now let's go sell some f***ing jerseys.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I agree that management is ultimately responsible for the big contracts, however I would disagree with the bolded. It wasn't the greatest recipe for success but Shanny wanted to re up Dubas and Dubas tried to pull a run around and imo really left Shanny in a tough position. After what Dubas tried to pull, I wouldn't want him working for me, and really, unless Dubas got what he wanted he wasn't staying anyway. He definitely had that pens job in his back pocket before pulling the stunt that he did. Doesn't mean I think Shanny is the 2nd coming....he has his paw prints all over this team and is really the last one (management) who hasn't paid the price for the underwhelming results.

I think a good leader calls in the guy and figures out why he is trying to power play him and make it right. We now know Dubas and Shanahan didn’t talk for months in their final season together, so Shanahan acting like this is a surprise is a load of bs. Things weren’t good for a while, those feelings of resentment towards each other should have been hashed out well before the playoffs started.

To me it just shows a lack of planning/awareness and it makes me question how good of a job is Shanny really doing. Shanny had time to get on the same page as Dubas and waited till the end when things were ugly.

I would fire Shanahan for two reasons, he also said letting go of Dubas was not performance based (which in itself was shocking, he was willing to bring back a GM who really wasn’t having success) and two it just seemed like the organization under him had no synergy.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Exactly, that’s why I don’t really have any animosity towards Mitch. His contract was moveable for 4 years. Even if as an organization you realized you made a mistake, you had FOUR YEARS to move him. And you didn’t. They also could have moved him as an RFA if they didn’t like how he was negotiating. Idk to me this situation is on the team, they had 5 years (if you include his contract year and off-season he didn’t want to sign) to move on from the guy.

Other teams have moved off guys who don’t want to fall in line and were fine. It sucks but we probably should have done the same after Montreal or last off-season.
It's both. The teams made a mistake in keeping him this long, Marner set himself up to fail with the last negotiations and ultimately the money he demanded. He's crumbled under the weight of it

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
100% it on Shanny and Leafs management. Should have moved him after the loss to the Habs but they instead remained patient and bet everything on him and the rest of the rotten core. Hopefully getting bent over by 2 of 3 wakes up Tre and he won't let Marner do the same.

You would have to think Tre is going to move off Marner just based on his own experiences. All the media noise right now is to keep Marner’s value high.

Ultimately I think Marner will finally tell Ferris to shut up and work with the team to get a deal done after his bonus is paid out.

It's both. The teams made a mistake in keeping him this long, Marner set himself up to fail with the last negotiations and ultimately the money he demanded. He's crumbled under the weight of it

How did he set himself up to fail lol? He’s made $65 million on his last deal. And will probably set himself up for a close to 100M deal coming up. I don’t think Marner or any athlete looks at negotiations the same way us fans do and you can’t as an athlete.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You would have to think Tre is going to move off Marner just based on his own experiences. All the media noise right now is to keep Marner’s value high.

Ultimately I think Marner will finally tell Ferris to shut up and work with the team to get a deal done after his bonus is paid out.
I agree. My concern is they might accept 60 cent on the dollar to move him. In my mind Tre did well trading Tkachuk, given Tkachuk wanted out. I hope he can do the same with Marner but if Marner digs in at $12+m, Tre is going to get fleeced. I do not see many teams lining up to pay him $100m.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Tavares is too slow, MM might not be big, but you can count on him on the PP which is huge in the PO. JT holds this team back.
Alot of talk on this board about Tavares being slow, but According to NHL Edge stats, Tavares actually looks to play at a faster speed than Marner.

Top speed
Tavares - 21.11
Marner -21.33

20-22 mph speed bursts
Tavares- 7
Marner - 5

18 - 20 mph speed bursts
Tavares -55
Marner - 44

Reactions: Wrong Wilson

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I agree. My concern is they might accept 60 cent on the dollar to move him. In my mind Tre did well trading Tkachuk, given Tkachuk wanted out. I hope he can do the same with Marner but if Marner digs in at $12+m, Tre is going to get fleeced. I do not see many teams lining up to pay him $100m.

Absolutely, you are 100% correct. It is probable that the leafs get fleeced in the deal. But, it’s probably too late to be concerned about that now haha. You just gotta move him, if the opportunity presents and he’s willing to go.

At this point you have to assume the leafs are secretly okay with losing the trade. I don’t think they can say that aloud or make that known in the media. But if they can get futures and cap space internally i believe that’s a win. Sets you up for a big 2025 where you can have flexibility to make a big deal or sign a prominent free agent in a loaded free agent class.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Seeing as it’s by far most likely Marner is here next season, I’m going to will the Marner redemption arc into existence

Here’s hoping Berube/Lambert can get him to take the next step in his compete level/challenge him, he finds the fun again, stops being combative with the media, steps up as a leader for this team and has a great season.
Would love to see it. All they need to do is invent a time machine and a way to transplant Doug Gilmour's brain from 1993 into Mitch.

• Haha
Reactions: mikeyz and ToneDog

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Even I'm a little surprised at the amount of hate this guy is finally generating.

Well deserved in my opinion. The result of an individual who simply cannot connect with the average fan. Because of his inability to offer honest self-reflection.

The product of an over-privileged childhood.

This is a message to management. We don't want this loser with a bad attitude on the team anymore. People are burning and pawning his jersey's already.

They ARE going to boo him.

Fans could tolerate a loser if he had a good attitude. And they can tolerate a dick so long as he's a winner. But they won't put up with a loser with a bad attitude.

That's Marner.
Very well said.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
How did he set himself up to fail lol? He’s made $65 million on his last deal. And will probably set himself up for a close to 100M deal coming up. I don’t think Marner or any athlete looks at negotiations the same way us fans do and you can’t as an athlete.
Being run out of his hometown team after failing under the pressure he put on himself with the weight of that last deal. Not exactly an ideal situation.

Money's nice, he was always going to get paid. Squeezing every dollar could cost him his future here and has clearly taken a toll on him at various points. The love/apology letter after signing because of the backlash, crying in the box vs. MTL and the overall playoff criticism, now the media rumblings going into his final season. Not exactly fun stuff or a storybook ending.

You're right that athletes look at things differently than fans. I'd also argue being blinded by the bottom line and looking at just the dollars without the day to day impact is something a fan does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad