Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Marner seems to be letting his agent do the talking, as per Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet

Mitch Marner’s fate in Toronto suddenly disclosed by forward’s camp!

Wonder what Brad Treliving make of this…

It sounds more and more like insider Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet may have made the right prediction. Earlier this week, Friedman stated how he strongly believes that Mitch Marner will remain with the Toronto Maple Leafs for the rest of his contract, and more evidence has just emerged on how the insider is right.

“One of the things a few people have told me is not to be surprised if this plays out over next season with Marner in Toronto,” Friedman said.

The insider however also revealed how there is little chance that a contract extension will be discussed this summer, but that there could be talks later on depending on how the season goes.

While Marner’s camp seems adamant that he will remain in Toronto, there might become a trade offer that he simply cannot refuse. But it’s been said more than once that the Maple Leafs aren’t likely to come out winners in any Marner trade seeing that current deal sees him paid a shade over $10.9 million against the cap. As of now, it is said that Marner is focused on honoring the final year of his deal and hasn’t submitted any list of preferred trade destinations to Maple Leafs’ management. He could very well finish his current deal in Toronto, but maybe not his NHL career.
So there’s no quote?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Watching the 2nd and 3rd round they definitely are not. I think they feel like they are working hard but I don't think they have any idea what it really takes. One of the things Maurice said after last year was now the players know what it takes to go far so we don't have to talk them into it. Bringing in coaches who have won helps but its not enough.
I think you are spot on in that assessment

Commitment is a skill in my book.
Fair enough

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Definitely a good point regarding Treliving and his tone when it came to Matthews and Nylander being a priority to re-sign and keeping everything on the table when it comes to Marner.

I’m sure Treliving will listen to offers and if there is something that makes sense, he’ll approach the Marner camp.

To be honest I don’t know how Marner doesn’t want to waive and get the hell out of Toronto. The hate is even worse than the Holl hate.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
That’s pretty much what I had been saying from the start, I don’t think MM and his camp would think staying with the Leafs is his best option.
As the extension from the Leafs will come after playoffs and not mid season with Willie.
Just don’t think it is wise to bet on MM to perform in the playoffs. That’s why the best bet is trade to a non playoffs team, as long as MM plays light out by Xmas, he will get the 100mil/8yrs extension or more.

I'm wondering if Treliving has the balls to go to Marner and tell him he's not in their future plans and won't be re-signed, and that if he wants to maximize his earnings that takes him to retirement on an 8 year deal, to work out a sign-and-trade. That's what Tre should do this summer if he thinks the team should move away from Marner.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm wondering if Treliving has the balls to go to Marner and tell him he's not in their future plans and won't be re-signed, and that if he wants to maximize his earnings that takes him to retirement on an 8 year deal, to work out a sign-and-trade. That's what Tre should do this summer if he thinks the team should move away from Marner.
He doesn’t need balls to do that. If he wants to do that he will just do it.
I don’t get the thought some have that if he doesn’t do what they want it must be because he’s scared.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
If it’s anything but a sign and trade it will be a disaster for this organization for years to come.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Anything is possible I suppose but I'm betting it's far more likely that there are a lot of very disappointed posters on here in September.

Which will translate again to very disappointed posters in April.

They’ll change the Zamboni driver in the offseason and hope that will be the spark to get Mitch going.

Reactions: bax

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think the fact that there is not a word of extension and from MM's camp, he wants to play out the contract... showed there were already discussions and the answer was NO.
Look at what Tre said last summer about Willie, always been we want to resign him, and from Willie-I will bet on myself...you can sense both sides want to sign but they can't agree on price.
Where as with MM now, it seems like both sides know this is the end.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Definitely a good point regarding Treliving and his tone when it came to Matthews and Nylander being a priority to re-sign and keeping everything on the table when it comes to Marner.

I’m sure Treliving will listen to offers and if there is something that makes sense, he’ll approach the Marner camp.

To be honest I don’t know how Marner doesn’t want to waive and get the hell out of Toronto. The hate is even worse than the Holl hate.
It is not the hate, it is that is MM even believe that he can do well in the playoffs?
Bc when the pressure(100mil extension) was on last playoffs, he choked big time. I just don't think he can do it under even more pressure this season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Local GTA kid grew up a Leafs fan and likely believed he might be able to play his entire career in Toronto after being drafted by his dream team.

I wonder if Marner now regrets he went for top dollar $$ on his last deal, and shorter term now that it looks like this might be his last year as a Leaf potentially as a result.

Had he gone for term and locked himself in for the full 8 years on this current contract, he would have 3 more years on this current deal and not going anywhere for a long time. Now due to circumstances he may have cut his own dream short in Toronto as a result.

He also decided to bet on himself and now that HE and the TEAM have come up short of expectations, that gamble failed. He also wanted to go last to the contract trough and use the leverage of his teammate contracts to his financial gain.

Marner now likely sees himself as the scapegoat and the one having to pay the price of organizational change of plan and direction. Now timing has his other 2 Amigo's locked up and locked in, (despite having the same playoff team record) and with the team wanting to go in a new direction now it likely comes at his expiring contract.

I'm speculating now with hindsight and retrospective analysis if Mitch had a do over, he would have done things differently. IMO

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Local GTA kid grew up a Leafs fan and likely believed he might be able to play his entire career in Toronto after being drafted by his dream team.

I wonder if Marner now regrets he went for top dollar $$ on his last deal, and shorter term now that it looks like this might be his last year as a Leaf potentially as a result.

Had he gone for term and locked himself in for the full 8 years on this current contract, he would have 3 more years on this current deal and not going anywhere for a long time. Now due to circumstances he may have cut his own dream short in Toronto as a result.

He also decided to bet on himself and now that HE and the TEAM have come up short of expectations, that gamble failed. He also wanted to go last to the contract trough and use the leverage of his teammate contracts to his financial gain. Now timing has his other 2 Amigo's locked up and locked in, and with the team wanting to go in a new direction it likely comes at his expiring contract.

Marner now likely sees himself as the scapegoat and the one having to pay the price of organizational change of plan and direction.

I'm speculating now with hindsight and retrospective analysis if Mitch had a do over, he would have done things differently. IMO
JT would said, this is a good learning lesson, lol

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
He should do that. But he won’t.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
JT would said, this is a good learning lesson, lol
For Marner who likely wanted to play his entire career as a Leaf then Willy's new shining 8 year and $92 mil totals ($11.5 mil AAV) contract must be looking really good to him and perhaps he might even be a little envious that it's not his.

His American teammate Austin is locked in, and his Swedish teammate Willy is locked in, and now the locally born GTA and Canadian kid Mitch is trending to on the way out.

Not the way one would have guessed this would have played out. IMO

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If you weren't convinced that Marner is an absolute JOKE in playoffs maybe this will convince you

GPWdiHhXMAEDevy
If, based just on that, you had to match the player with the salaries ($12, $11, $11, and $7), I bet you'd get it wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad