Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Maybe they were just unlucky to tank when they did. A year earlier and maybe they’d be in great shape.

What if they picked McDavid then Tkachuk or McAvoy?
What if they never got a centre for 11 million dollars when what they needed to fix was goal tending and defence. What if they didn’t bow down to 3 RFA’s before they had won a thing or showed that they fouls rise when things were on the line.
There are a lot of what if’s that will be judged harshly

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What if they never got a centre for 11 million dollars when what they needed to fix was goal tending and defence. What if they didn’t bow down to 3 RFA’s before they had won a thing or showed that they fouls rise when things were on the line.
There are a lot of what if’s that will be judged harshly
I don’t know what would have happened. It could very well be that the core is just not talented enough to win.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I would be far more concerned with quality than position. Are there any PP running offensive defenseman UFAs worth a damn this year? I agree we need more than Rielly. Guentzel is a very good player.
Pesce and Montour, but I think Pesce goes to Boston, maybe even the Rangers and Montour will stay in Florida.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Marner contemplating future with Maple Leafs, staying 'would be a goal'​

Forward can become unrestricted free agent after next season, Toronto facing changes after 1st-round exit

TORONTO -- While Mitch Marner contends with another early exit from the Stanley Cup Playoffs with the Toronto Maple Leafs, he also is facing the need to consider something he never has had to concern himself with coming off previous seasons. His future with the team.

Marner has one season remaining on a six-year, $65.358 million contract ($10.9 million average annual value) he signed Sept. 13, 2019. He hopes that future in Toronto is long term.

"That would be a goal," Marner said. "I've expressed my love for this place, this city. Obviously, I've grown up here. We'll start thinking about that now and try to figure something out."

The forward can become an unrestricted free agent after next season and had 85 points (26 goals, 59 assists) in 69 games this season, but a goal and two assists in a seven-game loss to the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference First Round. The Maple Leafs have won one round in the Stanley Cup Playoffs (2023) since Marner joined the NHL in 2016-17, and it sounded like he realizes change could be coming.

"[Being a Maple Leaf] means the world," Marner said. "Obviously we're looked upon [highly] here, to be honest, and something that you really appreciate. The love that you get here from this fan base and this attention is none like any other. You saw with the (NBA's Toronto) Raptors a couple years ago, the love [fans] still have for a lot of those players (who helped them win a championship in 2019) that they had to trade off this year. That's the love you want."

Article: Marner contemplating future with Maple Leafs, staying 'would be a goal' | NHL.com

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Forward can become unrestricted free agent after next season, Toronto facing changes after 1st-round exit

TORONTO -- While Mitch Marner contends with another early exit from the Stanley Cup Playoffs with the Toronto Maple Leafs, he also is facing the need to consider something he never has had to concern himself with coming off previous seasons. His future with the team.

Marner has one season remaining on a six-year, $65.358 million contract ($10.9 million average annual value) he signed Sept. 13, 2019. He hopes that future in Toronto is long term.

"That would be a goal," Marner said. "I've expressed my love for this place, this city. Obviously, I've grown up here. We'll start thinking about that now and try to figure something out."

The forward can become an unrestricted free agent after next season and had 85 points (26 goals, 59 assists) in 69 games this season, but a goal and two assists in a seven-game loss to the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference First Round. The Maple Leafs have won one round in the Stanley Cup Playoffs (2023) since Marner joined the NHL in 2016-17, and it sounded like he realizes change could be coming.

"[Being a Maple Leaf] means the world," Marner said. "Obviously we're looked upon [highly] here, to be honest, and something that you really appreciate. The love that you get here from this fan base and this attention is none like any other. You saw with the (NBA's Toronto) Raptors a couple years ago, the love [fans] still have for a lot of those players (who helped them win a championship in 2019) that they had to trade off this year. That's the love you want."

Article: Marner contemplating future with Maple Leafs, staying 'would be a goal' | NHL.com
He hopes his future is in Toronto, but his camp has no intention to negotiate. Seems legit. Toronto doesn't want him to be apart of the future.

Reactions: LeafSteel

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I would be far more concerned with quality than position. Are there any PP running offensive defenseman UFAs worth a damn this year? I agree we need more than Rielly. Guentzel is a very good player.

Guentzel is a good player but we what cap percentage allocation do we need to give Guentzel that we probably cannot achieve with youngsters filling out depth roles (Knies, McMann, Holmberg, Cowan, Minten, etc.).

Second, do we go after Guentzel while still having four forwards at 11+ AAV on the cap next season? that IMO is bad cap allocation. Unless the plan is to tank next season which IMO not a good idea as dubas traded the primary picks for the upcoming season.

In terms of defense; options:

Option 1 (ideal)
- Get an offensive minded D-man (UFA available: Montour) unless we wanna offersheet Sieder ;)

Option 2 (tied with first option IMO)
- Trade Marner for offensive D-man (Werenski, Weegar) etc... Here is a list of D-men by points

Option 2 (2nd best option)
- Get a defensive minded D-man that can play tough minutes (UFA: Pesce, DeMelo)
- Free up Rielly to embrace fully offensive role (5 on 5)
- Give Lily fulltime #1 PP unit duties tell him he won't be taken off so there are no confidence issues and see what we really have in him

Rielly Pesce/DeMelo
McCabe Benoit
XXX Liljegren
XXX

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

Of course it would be a goal. They bent over for him last time. Why not see if they'll do so again?

If being a Leaf means so much to him, he's yet to show it during the playoffs.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
wow, can you imagine losing Marner AND Shanahan in the same year, hopefully this is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow........
1717696907227.gif

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Maybe my apathy is growing with age, maybe I'm going into the rationalization stage of denial, maybe both- but part of me is curious to see if this spring's wake up call + a new and firmer hand at HC could combine into a Marner that buys into a We before Me concept. A Marner fully committed to doing whatever job asked makes for some interesting lineup options. If there's ever been a player primed to be challenged it's him now.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
Maybe my apathy is growing with age, maybe I'm going into the rationalization stage of denial, maybe both- but part of me is curious to see if this spring's wake up call + a new and firmer hand at HC could combine into a Marner that buys into a We before Me concept. A Marner fully committed to doing whatever job asked makes for some interesting lineup options. If there's ever been a player primed to be challenged it's him now.
Mitch sucks in big part due to mental blocks and maybe a new coach could shake that up.

The bigger issue is his play style isn't suited for the playoffs. He needs the puck on his stick to be effective, yet he also needs more space to pass around.

I've repeated this, but it bears worth reminding. He's slow, weak shot and physically weak.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Guentzel is a good player but we what cap percentage allocation do we need to give Guentzel that we probably cannot achieve with youngsters filling out depth roles (Knies, McMann, Holmberg, Cowan, Minten, etc.).

Second, do we go after Guentzel while still having four forwards at 11+ AAV on the cap next season? that IMO is bad cap allocation. Unless the plan is to tank next season which IMO not a good idea as dubas traded the primary picks for the upcoming season.

In terms of defense; options:

Option 1 (ideal)
- Get an offensive minded D-man (UFA available: Montour) unless we wanna offersheet Sieder ;)

Option 2 (tied with first option IMO)
- Trade Marner for offensive D-man (Werenski, Weegar) etc... Here is a list of D-men by points

Option 2 (2nd best option)
- Get a defensive minded D-man that can play tough minutes (UFA: Pesce, DeMelo)
- Free up Rielly to embrace fully offensive role (5 on 5)
- Give Lily fulltime #1 PP unit duties tell him he won't be taken off so there are no confidence issues and see what we really have in him

Rielly Pesce/DeMelo
McCabe Benoit
XXX Liljegren
XXX
Lily fulltime #1PP? Thought you said "no" to tanking.

• Haha
Reactions: socko

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Lily fulltime #1PP? Thought you said "no" to tanking.

I understand where you are coming from but we gotta give Lily a try at #1PP unit IMO if we can't get a #1PP guy via UFA and/or trade (Marner)

Regular season: Lily 2nd after Mo in points production (total) based on ppg
1717698232164.png

In terms of PP points per 60 Lily also produced decently given that he was primarly on 2nd unit
1717698476189.png

I wonder how Lily would do if he was given full time #1PP unit duties. He was pretty good in teh short time when the PP was really HOT with Lily running the point. Its a very small sample but its still worth looking at IMO at a longer stretch if we can't get a stud #1 Dman via UFA/Trade

Reactions: Havoc and LeafSteel

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I don’t know what would have happened. It could very well be that the core is just not talented enough to win.
I think they have sufficient talent but for whatever reason they just can’t get it done in the playoffs.
I just don’t think they are really committed to sacrificing it all for the playoffs

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

myleafs

May 25, 2021

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 4

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I think they have sufficient talent but for whatever reason they just can’t get it done in the playoffs.
I just don’t think they are really committed to sacrificing it all for the playoffs
Watching the 2nd and 3rd round they definitely are not. I think they feel like they are working hard but I don't think they have any idea what it really takes. One of the things Maurice said after last year was now the players know what it takes to go far so we don't have to talk them into it. Bringing in coaches who have won helps but its not enough.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Leafs look for a team that will pay them and Marner. Having secured that, they then ask Ferris, team A is willing to pay Marner AxB, will you waive to go there? If he says no, then it could get ugly like it did for Sundin.
Perhaps that could work, but how far does Tre get in discussions with team A? They might have more questions and concerns about the situation than answers with names and numbers. Not sure Ferris flinches at a waive request anyway - they ain't interested, apparently.

It's possible he's posturing, but it doesn't look good right now.

Reactions: ToneDog

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Sorry now I know what you're referring to.

There are so many article floating around on the topic, However I have read also somewhere that Marner plans on starting the year with the Leafs and honouring his contract. But from the Atlantic Article with Pierre Lebrun on could also draw that similar conclusion.

Mitch Marner is not ready to waive his no-movement clause nor negotiate an extension according to TSN's Pierre LeBrun, which complicates the Leafs' off-season plans.

From what we know so far, Marner has not been asked by Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brad Treliving for a list of teams or to waive his no-movement clause as of yet. There has also been no desire from the Leafs to begin extension discussions for now, and according to Pierre LeBrun, neither side has the appetite to engage in conversations.

In his latest for The Athletic, LeBrun revealed that even though the Leafs have not attempted to engage in extension talks, Marner's camp, led by the notorious Darren Ferris, does not plan on engaging in them any time soon either, which will complicate matters for the Leafs this off-season.

With one year left on his current deal that carries a $10.9M cap hit, the Leafs are seemingly being forced to 'run it back' again next season, but not because they want to.

Leafs GM Brad Treliving will have his work cut out for him to build a more competitive and balanced roster with just $18.5M in cap space now that it appears the entire "Core 4" will be back for at least one more season. As LeBrun mentioned, things can change, but as we've seen from Ferris, he tends to hold out until he gets what he wants for his players.
You have to get rid of more deadwood
What purpose does kampf of Jarnkrok
Have on this team
Neither one is a bonus to our team
Another 4.5 million saved

It feels like boy wonder is gonna be his defiant self and not play ball with the leafs. This should be fun.
You sound like an idiot
He doesn’t have to play ball with anybody
Nothing to do with defiant
Maple leaf management gave him the NMC
They are the ones that have to honor it

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You have to get rid of more deadwood
What purpose does kampf of Jarnkrok
Have on this team
Neither one is a bonus to our team
Another 4.5 million saved

You sound like an idiot
He doesn’t have to play ball with anybody
Nothing to do with defiant
Maple leaf management gave him the NMC
They are the ones that have to honor it

Calling him a name like that when you arent actually entirely correct is a bit offside their chief.

Marner basically kicked and screamed and cried in the media for that contract. He was going to hold them hostage. Sure they did not have to give it to him, but still. He fought very hard for a contract he couldn't deliver on.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Perhaps that could work, but how far does Tre get in discussions with team A? They might have more questions and concerns about the situation than answers with names and numbers. Not sure Ferris flinches at a waive request anyway - they ain't interested, apparently.

It's possible he's posturing, but it doesn't look good right now.
Well if Tre talks to all teams and only team A is interested, I guess Mitch could wait until July 1, 2025 to look for a deal with a destination more to his liking, in which case he only gets a 7 year deal. The guys who say, why would he care when he's already banked $70m? Most of these athletes want every penny they can get.

Matty took 4 years so he can ring the bell again with a higher cap. Nylander did not budge from his initial ask of $11+m and Leafs caved. Marner is no different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad