Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yes that’s all old stuff, you didn’t highlight Marners quite. Apparently there is a quote from Marner himself. I’m curious what he said.
Remember the old days when links needed to be provided to back up these statements?

Not sure what quote exactly you're looking for ..

This one?

In his latest for The Athletic, LeBrun revealed that even though the Leafs have not attempted to engage in extension talks, Marner's camp, led by the notorious Darren Ferris, does not plan on engaging in them any time soon either, which will complicate matters for the Leafs this off-season.

"That also means I don't think there's an appetite to talk extension come July 1. The preference from the Marner camp is to start the season and see how things go," wrote LeBrun. "Perhaps there are talks on an extension eventually, but I don't believe there's a strong desire to get into them this summer."

With one year left on his current deal that carries a $10.9M cap hit, the Leafs are seemingly being forced to 'run it back' again next season, but not because they want to.

Link :

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yes that’s all old stuff, you didn’t highlight Marners quite. Apparently there is a quote from Marner himself. I’m curious what he said.
Remember the old days when links needed to be provided to back up these statements?

Is this the quote you're looking for?

'We're looked upon as gods': Maple Leafs' Marner after another 1st-round playoff exit​

1717642014229.png

Mitch Marner stepped in front of the cameras and spoke to reporters for roughly three minutes.

The Maple Leafs winger — a lightning rod of criticism in the aftermath of Toronto's latest playoff failure — said he would like to stay long-term with the organization he cheered on as a kid growing up just north of the city.

"It means the world," Marner said Monday of suiting up for the Original Six franchise. "We're looked upon as kind of gods here, to be honest. Something that you really appreciate.

"The love that you get here from this fan base … this attention is [unlike] any other."

Reactions: arso40

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
AM is going to regret that move. WN looked at the geo political landscape being a Swede and locked in for the guaranteed payday.
If geopolitics ends up affecting Hockey salaries, 1 year versus 20 years won't make a difference.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yes, but if he wants that 8th year, he has no choice except to work with the Leafs because he sure ain't getting paid $12 million in the 8th year when he's 35 years old if he signs a 7 year contract elsewhere.

Over his career he's going to make close on 150M, I'm sure the 8th year is important but he's still going to be doing pretty well for himself

Reactions: Confucius and bax

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marners camp anchoring first through public channels ain't a good sign. I suspect to facilitate a trade now includes communicating that Marner is not part of the long term program...or next years program.

That would be pretty bold, and Marners camp probably betting they won't go down that road. Ferris is aggressive and life is going to get complicated for Tre if he decides to battle.

Alternatively it could be them trying to pressure for a quick extension (on their terms).

Though overall not quite sure how to interpret Ferris talking to the media like this

Reactions: ACC1224

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Alternatively it could be them trying to pressure for a quick extension (on their terms).

Though overall not quite sure how to interpret Ferris talking to the media like this
Given the current climate that seems unlikely.

I would speculate that it's a power move, motioning to Tre that he won't be able to use soft negotiating to navigate his way to comfortable conditions while balancing trade discussions.

He's saying, if they want to move Marner, they better go nuclear. Don't waste his time unless they have the balls to bring up Mitch next season. Ferris is confidently making the first public move - he's controlling the terms of the negotiation, doesn't think Tre will go down that road, and feels he can win that battle if they do.

He's comfortable with fighting in the mud, and doesn't believe the Leafs will risk getting dirty - so just knock it off right now.

He might be right.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I would speculate that it's a power move, motioning to Tre that he won't be able to use soft negotiating to navigate his way to comfortable conditions while balancing trade discussions.

He's saying, if they want to move Marner, they better go nuclear. Don't waste his time unless they have the balls to bring up Mitch next season. Ferris is confidently making the first public move - he's controlling the terms of the negotiation, doesn't think Tre will go down that road, and feels he can win that battle if they do.

He's comfortable with fighting in the mud, and doesn't believe the Leafs will risk getting dirty - so just knock it off right now.

He might be right.
To me reading the tea leaves it seems Leafs organization would like to move on and wish Marner would cooperate and eventually provide a list of potential trade options.

Ferris his agent speaking on behalf of their side, seems to be saying not so fast and we're not going willingly. Mitch will be honouring the last year of his contract which is his right.

Sounds like a messy divorce in the making, with Marner hoping a change of mind from management to allow his to stay beyond this current season or at worst walking away as a UFA the following summer.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
That's the kind of statline I would expect from Calle Jarnkrok, not Mitch Marner.

Pretty clear he's holding Matthews and the team back in the post-season.

The crazy part is that’s the numbers he’s putting up as the guy that touches the puck on every ES zone entry and PP possession when he’s on the ice, there’s not even 6 assists on drop pass PP touches to take credit for.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think marner is getting way too much credit.

Matthews is the man. marner is Robin, Nylander is the Flash.
Until they do something in the playoffs.
AM is at best Nightwing
MM is Robin
Willie is Red Hood
JT is Alfred

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Over his career he's going to make close on 150M, I'm sure the 8th year is important but he's still going to be doing pretty well for himself

Marner does not seem like the type to leave millions on the table. Let's say he signs a 7 year deal, what would be his next contract when he's 35? Maybe 4 million AAV to be generous?

Now, I don't think Marner is making 12 million per on his next contract, perhaps a team will pay him 11.5 million per for 7 years if he doesn't sign with the Leafs...so that's 80.5 million over 7 years...if you add the 4 million to 80.5 million, you get 84.5 million for 8 years, so his AAV over 8 years is 10.56 million...if he extends with the Leafs for 8 years at 11.5 million per and is traded, he makes about 1 million more per year for 8 years...that's not chump change.

If the Leafs don't plan on re-signing Marner, it's really in his best interest to work out an extension for 8 years this summer and agree to a trade to another team who wants him instead of playing hardball or a game of who blinks first.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Marner does not seem like the type to leave millions on the table. Let's say he signs a 7 year deal, what would be his next contract when he's 35? Maybe 4 million AAV to be generous?

Now, I don't think Marner is making 12 million per on his next contract, perhaps a team will pay him 11.5 million per for 7 years if he doesn't sign with the Leafs...so that's 80.5 million over 7 years...if you add the 4 million to 80.5 million, you get 84.5 million for 8 years, so his AAV over 8 years is 10.56 million...if he extends with the Leafs for 8 years at 11.5 million per and is traded, he makes about 1 million more per year for 8 years...that's not chump change.

If the Leafs don't plan on re-signing Marner, it's really in his best interest to work out an extension for 8 years this summer and agree to a trade to another team who wants him instead of playing hardball or a game of who blinks first.
That’s pretty much what I had been saying from the start, I don’t think MM and his camp would think staying with the Leafs is his best option.
As the extension from the Leafs will come after playoffs and not mid season with Willie.
Just don’t think it is wise to bet on MM to perform in the playoffs. That’s why the best bet is trade to a non playoffs team, as long as MM plays light out by Xmas, he will get the 100mil/8yrs extension or more.

Reactions: Superstar

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
AM is going to regret that move. WN looked at the geo political landscape being a Swede and locked in for the guaranteed payday.

I disagree. He's marched to the beat of his own drum for his entire career and will make close to or more than McDavid without being close to his level. Matthews can also pull chute again and head down south pretty much whenever he wants. He will get his money no matter what which is part of what makes his negotiations in Toronto so selfish.

I think he would be shooting himself in the foot if he signs a short term deal like Matthews...he would be 32 when the contract is up if he signs a 4 year deal...he'll be lucky to even get $8 million per when he's 32.

Maybe he will sign a 2 year deal. That would allow him negotiate an extension in a season. The whole idea is that the cap is going up which will give Matthews and Marner an even bigger pie to get the biggest piece from. The one thing I will say is that it's hard to imagine a team as dumb as Toronto that will just pay players for no real reason.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
'Mitch Marner prefers to stay with the Leafs and become a UFA, with his camp promoting this idea publicly."

Battle is on already.

Mitch knows he's gotta go.
Who is his camp? There seems to be a share psychotic disorder around here. There is Marner and there is his agent. And then there are bullshit stories and speculation that builds novels. Battle? What kind of cosplay is happening around here? This is more epic than a Disney channel.

Reactions: Kazparov

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I have no doubt the Leaf brass are stupid enough to do with Marner what they did with Nylander, it appears they can’t help themselves………
Not according to the polls around here. We know that democracy rules, right?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

He might be right.
Leafs look for a team that will pay them and Marner. Having secured that, they then ask Ferris, team A is willing to pay Marner AxB, will you waive to go there? If he says no, then it could get ugly like it did for Sundin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad