Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well if Tre talks to all teams and only team A is interested, I guess Mitch could wait until July 1, 2025 to look for a deal with a destination more to his liking, in which case he only gets a 7 year deal. The guys who say, why would he care when he's already banked $70m? Most of these athletes want every penny they can get.

Matty took 4 years so he can ring the bell again with a higher cap. Nylander did not budge from his initial ask of $11+m and Leafs caved. Marner is no different.
It’s a real shame Dubas didn’t just do the no trade pinkie promise like he did with Nylander, then parts could be moved………

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You have to get rid of more deadwood
What purpose does kampf of Jarnkrok
Have on this team
Neither one is a bonus to our team
Another 4.5 million saved

First of all, it's not a savings of 4.5, since those vacant spots have to be filled by somebody.

Kampf has been our most relied-upon defensive forward since he signed here. He takes a load of defensive zone face-offs. He takes almost all of our PK face-offs. He's our top PKer. That's an important role that isn't necessarily easy to fill. Is it worth getting an extra 1.5 million somewhere else?

Jarnkrok is a decent jack-of-all-trades guy. While I think he's fine at that contract, this might be where they can cheap-out. If you're desperate for an extra 1.2 million on the cap, he can be replaced by an ELC.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
If you weren't convinced that Marner is an absolute JOKE in playoffs maybe this will convince you

GPWdiHhXMAEDevy
Apparently 16 games is a small sample lol. It's like sorry the sample size isn't more games, but it is the playoffs and they can't win to get a bigger sample size which is the entire point of people waiting this core broken up.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Marner contemplating future with Maple Leafs, staying 'would be a goal'​

Forward can become unrestricted free agent after next season, Toronto facing changes after 1st-round exit

TORONTO -- While Mitch Marner contends with another early exit from the Stanley Cup Playoffs with the Toronto Maple Leafs, he also is facing the need to consider something he never has had to concern himself with coming off previous seasons. His future with the team.

Marner has one season remaining on a six-year, $65.358 million contract ($10.9 million average annual value) he signed Sept. 13, 2019. He hopes that future in Toronto is long term.

"That would be a goal," Marner said. "I've expressed my love for this place, this city. Obviously, I've grown up here. We'll start thinking about that now and try to figure something out."

The forward can become an unrestricted free agent after next season and had 85 points (26 goals, 59 assists) in 69 games this season, but a goal and two assists in a seven-game loss to the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference First Round. The Maple Leafs have won one round in the Stanley Cup Playoffs (2023) since Marner joined the NHL in 2016-17, and it sounded like he realizes change could be coming.

"[Being a Maple Leaf] means the world," Marner said. "Obviously we're looked upon [highly] here, to be honest, and something that you really appreciate. The love that you get here from this fan base and this attention is none like any other. You saw with the (NBA's Toronto) Raptors a couple years ago, the love [fans] still have for a lot of those players (who helped them win a championship in 2019) that they had to trade off this year. That's the love you want."

Article: Marner contemplating future with Maple Leafs, staying 'would be a goal' | NHL.com
1717711219520.jpeg

Mitch sucks in big part due to mental blocks and maybe a new coach could shake that up.

The bigger issue is his play style isn't suited for the playoffs. He needs the puck on his stick to be effective, yet he also needs more space to pass around.

I've repeated this, but it bears worth reminding. He's slow, weak shot and physically weak.
He’s also dumb.

Gifted but mentally weak, with no resilience.

When it’s low hanging fruit he’s all in. When actual effort and sacrifice are needed, he’s a no show.

Management needs to tell him he won’t be resigned and he will be made available to the media after every game to answer questions.

He knows there’s an easier way to get paid without having to go through the embarrassment of a season with no contract and end up not being extended.

It can be done easily for him and he leaves a hero. He drags it out and leaves a joke and is remembered as a punch line.

His call.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
View attachment 880127

He’s also dumb.

Gifted but mentally weak, with no resilience.

When it’s low hanging fruit he’s all in. When actual effort and sacrifice are needed, he’s a no show.

Management needs to tell him he won’t be resigned and he will be made available to the media after every game to answer questions.

He knows there’s an easier way to get paid without having to go through the embarrassment of a season with no contract and end up not being extended.

It can be done easily for him and he leaves a hero. He drags it out and leaves a joke and is remembered as a punch line.

His call.

Even if Berube manages to get through to him, it's time to move on. The core is stale.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Given the current climate that seems unlikely.

I would speculate that it's a power move, motioning to Tre that he won't be able to use soft negotiating to navigate his way to comfortable conditions while balancing trade discussions.

He's saying, if they want to move Marner, they better go nuclear. Don't waste his time unless they have the balls to bring up Mitch next season. Ferris is confidently making the first public move - he's controlling the terms of the negotiation, doesn't think Tre will go down that road, and feels he can win that battle if they do.

He's comfortable with fighting in the mud, and doesn't believe the Leafs will risk getting dirty - so just knock it off right now.

He might be right.

I certainly think Ferris is trying to signal to Tre/Shanny that he's in the driver's seat of whatever happens, be in an extension or trade

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Even if Berube manages to get through to him, it's time to move on. The core is stale.

Look at this and tell me its not effing embarassing to have four forwards with 11AAV+ next season with the laughable post season results. And biggest culprit of this is Marner

1717459599816-png.879324

I certainly think Ferris is certainly trying to signal to Tre/Shanny that he's in the driver's seat of whatever happens, be in an extension or trade

Ideally TRADE so we can get something back besides cap space. But worst comes to worst... let him walk as UFA if he doesn't waive to be traded. marner is not it as far as I am concerned. Leafs are not going to have any post-season success with marner and his cap hit (which will be higher if re-signed :shakehead )

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Look at this and tell me its not effing embarassing to have four forwards with 11AAV+ next season with the laughable post season results. And biggest culprit of this is Marner

1717459599816-png.879324

Ideally TRADE so we can get something back besides cap space. But worst comes to worst... let him walk as UFA if he doesn't waive to be traded. marner is not it as far as I am concerned. Leafs are not going to have any post-season success with marner and his cap hit (which will be higher if re-signed :shakehead )

lf Marner walks, some sap GM will bite, but show me a contender ready and able to add him to the team.

Enjoy your millions in Utah, Mitch.

Last edited:

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Mitch sucks in big part due to mental blocks and maybe a new coach could shake that up.

The bigger issue is his play style isn't suited for the playoffs. He needs the puck on his stick to be effective, yet he also needs more space to pass around.

I've repeated this, but it bears worth reminding. He's slow, weak shot and physically weak.
Can't help about the shape he's in
Can't shoot, ain't speedy
And his legs are thin.

Reactions: Trapper

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Good stuff. First time l've heard this. l've heard plenty of bands cover it, Gov't Mule being my favorite.
I'll look that one up.

EDIT: Is this the one you're talking about? It's not the same tune, but it's AWESOME old blues.

Last edited:

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

I'll look that one up.

EDIT: Is this the one you're talking about? It's not the same tune, but it's AWESOME old blues.

Not the same one. l think it might have been a one-off during a new year's show. Either way, The Shape l'm ln applies to Marner too, indirectly of course.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Sportsnet's Luke Fox, has made a keen observation about Maple Leafs GM Brad Treliving's comments on Mitch Marner and how they differ from how he spoke of Matthews and Nylander.​

Last off-season Leafs GM Brad Treliving made it known that his priorities were to get Auston Matthews and William Nylander to put pen to paper on extensions.

While Matthews signed in late August, it took a little longer to get Nylander to sign, but they both got done and they will be Leafs together for at least the next four seasons.

With Mitch Marner and John Tavares able to sign extensions in less than a month, Treliving's tone has been quite different. While he has not openly discussed Tavares, Treliving responded to the comments made by Marner's agent Darren Ferris this week while in Buffalo for the scouting combine. His comments caught the attention of Sportsnet's Luke Fox, who was on "Leafs Morning Take" today and noted the difference in tone when asked about the Marner situation.
"He's saying 'Mitch is a good player,' but he's not saying 'our number one priority is to re-sign him.'"

"Mitch controls a lot of this whole thing (with the no-trade). If there's a way to make our team better, we're going to do it. But we're certainly not going to make a trade just so we can pound our chest and say, 'Look, we're different.'".."Any business that we conduct, we'll do that between Darren Ferris and us. We're not going to do play-by-play on it. We've got to look at every possible way for our team to be better.".. Treliving said.

• Love
Reactions: PromisedLand

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
And his legs are thin.
Yeah we need someone who
stood six foot six and weighed 245
Kinda broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip
And everybody knew, ya didn't give no lip.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

Sportsnet's Luke Fox, has made a keen observation about Maple Leafs GM Brad Treliving's comments on Mitch Marner and how they differ from how he spoke of Matthews and Nylander.​

Last off-season Leafs GM Brad Treliving made it known that his priorities were to get Auston Matthews and William Nylander to put pen to paper on extensions.

While Matthews signed in late August, it took a little longer to get Nylander to sign, but they both got done and they will be Leafs together for at least the next four seasons.

With Mitch Marner and John Tavares able to sign extensions in less than a month, Treliving's tone has been quite different. While he has not openly discussed Tavares, Treliving responded to the comments made by Marner's agent Darren Ferris this week while in Buffalo for the scouting combine. His comments caught the attention of Sportsnet's Luke Fox, who was on "Leafs Morning Take" today and noted the difference in tone when asked about the Marner situation.

I read those comments as "I'm willing to trade him, If he waives his NMC, I'm not giving him away."

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
And his legs are thin.
I also suspect considering the talking he did with Babs that has WAY TOO MUCH to say about the team, strategy, units etc.
Berube will stop that.
I think he will stay this year but I hope we can spend his 10.8m more wisely on a number 1 dman and goaltender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad