Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why wouldn’t he just say this:

Brad Treliving on William Nylander’s lingering contract situation: “I’ve stated it any time I’ve been asked: Our sole objective is to get him signed”​

That’s what you say for someone you want to keep long term.
The climate was different around the team last off season and he was new in town.
Expecting him to tell the media everything he’s thinking is pretty naive.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The climate was different around the team last off season and he was new in town.
Brad doesn’t seem very much like a chess player to me or very cryptic. If he wants something, he seems the type to say it.
It’s not naive to say what you want, only not to speak when things are changing.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Even though you can’t sign until July 1st, Treliving made no secret it was their priority.

You said he’s not a good negotiator. Then you ask why I don’t think he’s using it as negotiating. I don’t because of what you said and he didn’t.
Maybe Brad is getting help this time. After that shrewd bargaining with Nylander maybe someone at MLSE said wtf?

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Every year UFA’s sign new contracts with new teams. It’s not that unusual.
Not the superstars like you mentioned
Guys like domi bertuzzi etc
Do you really believe Edmonton won’t pay drai to stay
Do you really think Colorado will let a great player like rantanen go.
Rangers are keeping their number one goalie arguably top 3 in the league
The guys that make it to free agency are not top players on their team

• Love
Reactions: Confucius

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I don't think Brad speaks about a 92M contract because he's new in town

You shot me a laughing emotion when I said this earlier but I thought it was a fair point. Brad was extremely clear about intending to sign Nylander and he's currently speaking openly about Marner

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't think Brad speaks about a 92M contract because he's new in town

You shot me a laughing emotion when I said this earlier but I thought it was a fair point. Brad was extremely clear about intending to sign Nylander and he's currently speaking openly about Marner
I don’t see how the two things relate.
Do you not see that the climate around the team is different this summer?

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Not the superstars like you mentioned
Guys like domi bertuzzi etc
Do you really believe Edmonton won’t pay drai to stay
Do you really think Colorado will let a great player like rantanen go.
Rangers are keeping their number one goalie arguably top 3 in the league
The guys that make it to free agency are not top players on their team
Yeah, probably not getting McDavid but you can get a Jake Guentzel. I'd love to have Guentzel. He's scored at the pace of a 45 goal scorer over his playoff career. Good ole north / south playoff hockey, no perimeter stuff.

Punch Drunk Loov

Dec 6, 2011
I don’t see how the two things relate.
Do you not see that the climate around the team is different this summer?
Don't you think the way the GM speaks about expiring contracts has a lot of relevance?

We're definitely over-analyzing but that's a very important source. The climate around the team? It's disappointed coming off a first round exit and our president said the time for patience has past. What do you mean?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

shanahan-mitch-marner-is-on-his-way-out-png.868363

Mitch was singled out as what was going to change.

EVERYONE KNOWS IT.

Including Mitch. The team knows it too "We love Mitch" they all said in their exit interviews.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Don't you think the way the GM speaks about expiring contracts has a lot of relevance?

We're definitely over-analyzing but that's a very important source. The climate around the team? It's disappointed coming off a first round exit and our president said the time for patience has past. What do you mean?
No matter the circumstances of the last playoffs, do you not think that Marner and his camp would feel very disrespected that he didn’t get the same seal of approval Matthews/Nylander got? Sometimes what you don’t say is as important as what you do.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
They were all big swings. Things where if you lose it hurts. So far they have been doing safe 3rd rounders for rental moves. They need to take a risk that they can be a loser. The team needs to get better
They were big swings, but at least three of the four were bad misses that seriously hurt the team.

Punch Drunk Loov

Dec 6, 2011
No matter the circumstances of the last playoffs, do you not think that Marner and his camp would feel very disrespected that he didn’t get the same seal of approval Matthews/Nylander got? Sometimes what you don’t say is as important as what you do.
It's natural to feel disrespected. Marner may have been advised no contract is being offered in July and his guard is up thus his camp is saving face by announcing its in fact his decision not to negotiate

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
A reminder that Marner the playoff choker is ahead of these players for playoff PPG (active players only, 20+ GP in their career).

Barkov
Panarin
ROR
Zibanejad
Robertson
Kopitar
Verhaeghe
Backstrom
Hubeardeau
Pettersson
Nylander
Boeser
Stamkos
Stone
Barzal
Kuznetsov
Hintz
Forsberg
Connor
Pavelski
Bennett
Hertl
Tarasenko
Reinhart
Fiala
Etc

Marner is 22nd, one ahead of Matthews, and has the same as Marchand and RNH.

There are 11 players with a PPG of 1.00 or higher.

Marner has been bad, but I think he has been better than he gets credit for, he's had some good series (unfortunately not many recently).

Not making the playoffs is worse to me... maybe people would rather just be a bottom feeder, but not me.
Using the same criteria, there are 129 active players with a higher p/60 (out of 401) at ES.

Reactions: Antropovsky

myleafs

May 25, 2021
But Sabres and Sens never made the playoffs 8 yrs in a row or have three and soon to be four 11mil plus players on their payroll.
Huh? Sabres have 1 player making 11. Next closest is 8.3 All their top guys locked in for a bunch of years.
Sens have zero 11m players, Highest is 8.35. All their top guys are locked in for a bunch of years.

Sooooo....

Yeah, lets compare a guy who is close to the end to one that is in his prime. Either way this core has proven they cannot get it done. Time to do in a different direction. We are not here to sell jerseys.
The irony of the bolded is if the leafs can get to the finals , they will sell a shit ton of jerseys

Reactions: ToneDog

myleafs

May 25, 2021
During the combine, TSN's Pierre LeBrun caught up with Treliving. Obviously, with the Mitch Marner chatter, LeBrun was keen on getting an update, which Treliving was happy to provide.

Judging by his comments, Marner will not be moved for the sake of moving him. The star winger will need to draw a significant return for the Leafs - one that will improve the team - in order for Treliving to pull the trigger.

Treliving acknowledged Marner's no-movement clause, but re-affirmed that the goal is and always was to make the team better.​
What he didn't say was" its my top priority to get him signed" as he did with 34 and 88 last yr. That little omission may or may not mean anything.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
l hope you're right.
At the very least I was hearing nobody should feel safe. I believe Willie was initially just part of a Shanny run it back scheme and then when he was tearing it up so hard they made the decision to re-sign him at any cost. I don't believe Nylander's overpay is the reason Mitch might be moved, but simply the fact they signed WN leaves Mitch with term as potentially the odd man out. Like if Willie had been trending to a ppg he might have been gone a month into the season or be negotiating his deal right now. They thought he had morphed into Guy Lafleur so did what they thought they had to and now they are married to him. With a crystal ball I think WN is gone last summer but thats just a theory.

Whatever the case I think if they really want to trade Mitch they will if he thinks they can't/won't resign him no matter what. Even if he wants to be a thorn and force them to love him it will hurt his future earning power substantially if he isn't given top minutes. I don't mean 4th lining the guy but you can't be an all star on 18:00 a night unless you win a Conn Smyth. He has leverage but it will cut his nuts off to try to really exercise it. Interesting to follow and no matter what this club has improved its playoff chances with a new coach..

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Leafs realistically will want to work quickly and trade him on July 1st, so they can explore UFA options.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Treliving might go to marner and ask him if he wants to go to NameThatTeam.

marner will decide whether the Leafs are permitted to trade him.

Edmonton offers McDavid straight up and marner says no, the answer is no.

Hey Mitch

You want to go play near Disneyland? Waive NMC sign here: __________________________ .

John Gibson, Trevor Zegras Still Drawing Trade Interest

Ducks starter John Gibson and developing center Trevor Zegras are still the subject of trade inquiries, Ducks general manager Pat Verbeek told The Athletic’s Pierre LeBrun during the ongoing scouting combine.

Both players have been the subjects of trade rumors in the past, especially Gibson, who seems to be on the block nearly every summer since his eight-year, $51.2MM extension began in 2019. the 23 year old Zegras also found his name in trade speculation last year after a lengthy contract battle that saw the restricted free agent miss most of training camp and preseason, finally putting pen to paper on a three-year, $17.25MM deal on Oct. 2.

Of course, receiving trade interest in players and actively shopping them are two completely different beasts. If Verbeek’s being transparent, only the former is at play here. With no rush to recoup value for either, as their signing rights are controlled for at least a few more seasons, this summer doesn’t seem to be a missed opportunity for a move.

John Gibson @ $6,400,000 & Trevor Zegras @$ $5,750,000 = $12.15 mil or Mitch Marner raise to $12.250 mil (approx ?).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad