Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Expecting a 27 year old to all of a sudden completely change the way he’s played since he was in junior is a fallacy. If Marner was soft this year and last year and the year before etc etc then he is what he is. If he wants to honour the last year then ok but don’t come around July 1 asking for a raise. He can walk. Time for this org to grow a pair with its own players.

If Marner walks Leafs will have around 22 million to work with if you include Tavares.

This fear of him turning it on with a new team, I'll believe it when I see it.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
This fear of him turning it on with a new team, I'll believe it when I see it.
If he's not going to turn it on here, let somebody else pay to see if he will turn it on for them. He can be the next Zac Hyman @ 2x the money. Sorry, it will take him a up to 3 years to score as many goals as Zac has this year.

Hey he's got 11 playoff goals in 8 years. Zac has 14 this year alone. Dubas bet on the favorite when he should have bet on the longshot. That's about right.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
1717524045749.png

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Mitch, his Dad, agent, mom, spouse and fan boys agree. He is a $12+m player now.

He failed his performance review. No bonus this time. Any serious competitor watching a spotlight on Marner vs Boston video is puking in disgust or laughing in hysterics. It was terrible.

Each weak little corsi shot from the point should have been a spike through the heart of Shanahan and BTs love for the guy.

Poor performance. No confidence. Does not negotiate in good faith.

End of story.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Worst possible scenario, Marner walks this into the off season.... Looks like it will be another long year of discussing this guys future.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Can hate Dubas if you like, at least he wasn't scared to make moves. It has been his one defining trait he makes big moves

myleafs

May 25, 2021
The killer thing about this is that I don't actually think it has ever really been about the actual dollars and cents with Mitch. By all means, he wants to be paid handsomely, but listening to his Dad and Dreger back during the negotiation it was far more about the respect and reputation than the money. The money and where he fit into the salary structure was more about what that meant within the pecking order of the team than actually having 88 or 85m in the bank.

I've always believed that Mitch cares too much and his dreams of being Doug Gilmour are what keep holding him back. But what will eat him is that his failure has killed those Gilmour dreams and the only way of controlling how much "respect" he gets is through the contract once again. This offseason and the NTC are going to be a battle of whether his ego can give up on the Maple Leaf dream without one more chance to make things right. That's certainly what it will be sold to us as if he comes back, but I for one am not buying that, no thank you.
He said in his love letter to the fans on his balcony which was one weird event that Gilmour was his fave player which I find weird as Gilmour retired in 2002....How many games did you actually watch of Gilmour Mitchy or is it his reputation that you covet?

I do not buy the "he cares too much" card. If he did, he would do something to change his game. He is not willing to risk getting hurt. He is allergic to contact. And we thought social distancing was only a COVID thing.
He cares too much as long as its on his terms.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
And even if he does, who really cares. This organization is adverse to change it seems

Exactly. If he ever does, great, but that doesn't take away all the years he failed to show up when it mattered.

If Mitch believes he's worth $12M+, more power to him. I hope Kyle is taking notes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tobyboy and ToneDog

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
You know it’s one thing to just let the player play it out. Fine, but it doesn’t mean the org has to make it easy for him. If Shanahan is this scared to deal with things like this than it’s time to go. You can’t let players or their agents/family manipulate you on managerial decisions.

Pinkcat

Jul 4, 2013
I mean, they just canned the coach and hired a new one who seems like nearly a polar opposite, they aren't exactly sitting on their collective asses. Which again, comes back to the emotional thing, like everyone's very focused on Marner that they aren't seeing the bigger picture.

Management appears to be though, and yes, as much as you want him gone, that is a good thing. It doesn't even mean they wouldn't ask him to waive if the right offer came along, they just aren't being stupid about it.

You can say what you want, but trade borne out of emotion is bad for the team.

No one is saying they shouldn't be trying to make the team better or that they aren't trying to make the team better, either, they most certainly are and they most certainly should. The emotional aspect, again, is the fact everyone's focused on one thing and how it hasn't happened yet so "OMG they are dumb and never going anywhere."

Again, it's almost like the team is being run by adults.
This is exactly it. The stated intent is to make the team better. The reputation of the GM is that he is in on everything so all avenues will be explored whether that is keeping an all star winger or re-deploying the CAP.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Worst possible scenario, Marner walks this into the off season.... Looks like it will be another long year of discussing this guys future.
His cap hit is more valuable than he is. The trend every summer is a recycle of talent from various teams looking to get a pay bump. We can get something/sign something once he's gone.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
You know it’s one thing to just let the player play it out. Fine, but it doesn’t mean the org has to make it easy for him. If Shanahan is this scared to deal with things like this than it’s time to go. You can’t let players or their agents/family manipulate you on managerial decisions.
All of the core 4's agents.....

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 1

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
His cap hit is more valuable than he is. The trend every summer is a recycle of talent from various teams looking to get a pay bump. We can get something/sign something once he's gone.

This.

As an added bonus, we might get to watch another team get fleeced by Ferris and Paul, only to have their hot new signing go on vacation early as he's done with us.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Heh, sometimes that's true, often that's false. I'd rather have "nothing" (aka cap room) than be stuck with Barrie and Kerfoot's contracts, for example.
The issue with that trade is we got a lot softer, but the moves make sense. Even today, what do we need more than an offensive top 4 RD who can run our PP and centers who can kill penalties and play on the PP?

Shanahan for an executive is so short sighted. Instead of ripping the bandaid off he has continued to do nothing. Scared to lose a trade so he lets the player get movement protection. Scared to lose a trade so he lets a player walk for nothing potential or force his hand into an albatross contract.

Fire this f***ing clown

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
We ar
Letting a player of Marners level walk to free agency would be one of the biggest failures in the organizations history.

Need to get something back for him in a trade.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The killer thing about this is that I don't actually think it has ever really been about the actual dollars and cents with Mitch. By all means, he wants to be paid handsomely, but listening to his Dad and Dreger back during the negotiation it was far more about the respect and reputation than the money. The money and where he fit into the salary structure was more about what that meant within the pecking order of the team than actually having 88 or 85m in the bank.

I've always believed that Mitch cares too much and his dreams of being Doug Gilmour are what keep holding him back. But what will eat him is that his failure has killed those Gilmour dreams and the only way of controlling how much "respect" he gets is through the contract once again. This offseason and the NTC are going to be a battle of whether his ego can give up on the Maple Leaf dream without one more chance to make things right. That's certainly what it will be sold to us as if he comes back, but I for one am not buying that, no thank you.

To be fair, most guys in the league look at "where they are relative to their teammates" as a sign of "respect".

At the end of the day though, while the narrative of "being afraid of Kadri 2.0" is obviously not a good look, it is a real thing.

Let's say Marner is willing to do Nylander's exact deal -- $11.5m x 8....something that while might be tough for Marner to stomach given that he's always been above Willy... but justifyable given that Willy has emerged as a 2-time 40-goal scorer and Marner more of an assist guy.

The cap is projected to be $92m next year, maybe $96m after that. John Tavares goes from being an $11m guy to a $4m guy.

There is a world where you might regret not having Marner at $11.5m; especially if you don't get anything material for him in return.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
And even if he does, who really cares. This organization is adverse to change it seems
I feel like they are adverse to risk. They don't mind change when change is easy - i.e., moving on from Keefe. I don't really count the Dubas thing because it seems that was likely more about Shanahan winning a power struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad