Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I'd say the "emotional" ones are the ones who are irrationally attached to a player (any player) that hasn't lived up to his contract, especially in the playoffs.

The rational ones are the ones who want to move on from non performing assets to make the TEAM better.
People act like Marner is a rookie and needs some time to grow. 8 years of failure, nothing emotional about wanting him gone

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Arizona bounced pay checks and guys still signed there.

Vegas sign guys to long term extension deals and trade them out like they're nothing.

In the end if you're a good team, you'll generally be able to attract talent.
Arizona wouldn't be at the top of anyones list and they certainly weren't a good team. Players signing there had few other options I would think.

Trading players is fine, it's part of the business. Players understand that if they don't have trade protection they could be moved.

All this other idiocy isn't going to happen. The team wants to win and there isn't any indication of any animosity between the player, his teammates or the organization.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He is still here. I am not amused. We need to get the media chopper to follow him around like Kawhi

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
If marner doesnt want to provide trade list and no extension talks (fully knowing we want to move on) then it better start getting ugly.

Boo him. Take away his A. 3rd line mins. No PP.

Yeah! That’ll teach him!!!

giphy.gif

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not sure about the Shanny thing. As if it is his job on the line, running it back and failing(very likely) won’t do him any good. If he makes changes, he can at least sell to his bosses, it takes a few more years….
This seems like a valid point, I sure hope so anyway.

LeBrun is also reporting that there is nothing happening right now and hasn't been for weeks. Marner hasn't been asked to supply (or offered to supply) a list of teams he'd move to. Neither side is expecting to talk extension on July 1, there is no meeting scheduled between his agent and the Leafs, and Marner is content to honour his contract and go into the season without an extension.

As much as people want there to be something (gasp, he met for coffee with his new coach, he must be being shipped out!), every actual report suggests there isn't anything going on. This is good news. Not because he isn't getting traded (he might, nearly anyone might), but because we're not being overly emotional about the situation (almost like the people who run the team are adults, crazy).
Not sure why you'd interpret "something going on" as sign of anyone being emotional, I'd interpret it as a sign of "good, they're actually doing something instead of sitting on their collective asses".

Cliff notes: nothing going on is the opposite of good news.

6 decades already:(
Yeah I'd say what's another decade among friends except I'm not likely to have many more decades to spare at this point.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I think his best fit for us is playing with Tavares. Tavares is a statue and Marner can help him. Is that the 3rd line, probably, I think Nylander is the 2nd line and I wouldn't want to put Nylander another year with Tavares. And if he's a lame duck on this team, then yeah he probably doesn't need to be assistant captain either. What the fans do is their business.

Reactions: cupdreaming

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Arizona bounced pay checks and guys still signed there.

Vegas sign guys to long term extension deals and trade them out like they're nothing.

In the end if you're a good team, you'll generally be able to attract talent.
The guys who went to Arizona, they weren't exactly in high demand for the most part.

Guys go to Vegas to win and the guys who signed long term probably got NMCs or no trades.

In either case, those teams aren't messing with a guy who used NMC. You think players and agents wont remember that?

In the end Toronto is a good team but the truth is there are other good teams and this is Canada after all? Why take the chance to get some ill will with the guy or his agent??

Just make it clear the team wont be resigning him and caress him into a small list of teams he would waive for and then do your best to make the best deal possible.

In the end it is his decision and the team gave him that power, I don't see them coming out winners if they punish him for using it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The guys who went to Arizona, they weren't exactly in high demand for the most part.

Guys go to Vegas to win and the guys who signed long term probably got NMCs or no trades.

In either case, those teams aren't messing with a guy who used NMC. You think players and agents wont remember that?

In the end Toronto is a good team but the truth is there are other good teams and this is Canada after all? Why take the chance to get some ill will with the guy or his agent??

Just make it clear the team wont be resigning him and caress him into a small list of teams he would waive for and then do your best to make the best deal possible.

In the end it is his decision and the team gave him that power, I don't see them coming out winners if they punish him for using it.

Right off the top of my head, Reilly Smith could have gone to UFA and instead signed a 3 year deal, they won a cup in year 1 of his deal and traded him to Pittsburgh after, he had a modified NTC.

Nate Schmidt also signed an extension there for less than market value and was traded within 1-2 years of the extension, also a modified NTC

Neither had an outright NMC but Vegas basically will lure you in with that competitive team and sweet taxation right and next thing you know you're freezing your ass off in Winnipeg.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The Kawhi chopper wanted him to stay.
Careful.

Just offer him the Nylander deal. This team has no balls to do anything. There really isn't any other option. Shanahan wont let go of his boy band.

Full NMC should be eliminated in the next collective bargaining agreement.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Just offer him the Nylander deal. This team has no balls to do anything. There really isn't any other option. Shanahan wont let go of his boy band.
If he takes the same percentage of the cap as his original deal, that's at a minimum, $12.4M.

The other option is to walk this to free agency, and decide what to do next season/next off-season/next summer before free agency. Ultimately, this team needs to start showing that they have a backbone and won't get bent over the table on negotiations anymore.

Or, they should be used properly - as leverage in exchange for a reduced cap hit or extra term etc

Reactions: myleafs

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Right off the top of my head, Reilly Smith could have gone to UFA and instead signed a 3 year deal, they won a cup in year 1 of his deal and traded him to Pittsburgh after, he had a modified NTC.

Nate Schmidt also signed an extension there for less than market value and was traded within 1-2 years of the extension, also a modified NTC

Neither had an outright NMC but Vegas basically will lure you in with that competitive team and sweet taxation right and next thing you know you're freezing your ass off in Winnipeg.

Well that's not the teams problem. There are in Vegas and they have the advantages when it comes to signing players. Toronto does not have those advantages so why give yourself a bad rep for punishing players? It would only make it harder.....

Fully agree. I would get rid of NMC and no trades all together but that's not the reality right now.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Teams that won championships:
Boston traded away a Hall of Fame 1C (Thornton) for nothing)
Toronto traded their most beloved player ever who was still a great all star (Derozan)
Vegas traded their most beloved player ever who just won a Vezina (Fleury)

With this management group (cowards), this player group (gutless and overpaid), this team deserves their awful fate.

After nearly a decade of failure, we can't make the guy leave because that would be mean (it's not mean to fleece the city after being given everything you could've ever wanted).

The funny thing is we actually have a good sample of what this team would look like without Marner, it's called the playoffs, the difference is that with Marner gone we free up 11 million to actually do something with. Again though we can't force him or Tavares to leave because that's mean and the Toronto Maple Leafs are trying to win the Kindness Cup not the Stanley Cup.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I’m not sure you’re fully grasping the protection a full NMC gives a player.

Marner will play out his last year of his RFA deal with Matthews, Nylander, et al., get his point-per-game-plus regular season and then wave goodbye to the Leafs, cashing in a mega-deal elsewhere.

Leafs have exactly no control here, and I guess people thought online bullying would help make him leave town but all it’s going to do is harden his resolve to stick it to the team.
Well for one they can put him on his own line and not with 34 or 88.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
the team did it to themselves. u had dumb and dumber in shanny and dubas always very slow on making decisions and a poor culture/coaching diminishing a selke type player. u got bafoons running this team this is what happens.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I really don't fear Marner walking. It would be unfortunate but per his contract that is an option available to him. But signing him to a new 8 year deal at $12+ million. That, as Einstein would say, is the definition of insanity. I would prefer a total rebuild to that. What a waste of the next 8 years that would be. I would be jealous of Utah.
I think we're well past Einstein's definition of insanity with this organization, laughingstocks of the league........

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I can’t imagine how exactly they would spin the next press conference if he stays, gets paid 12+ million and lose in the 1st round again.

I mean what could you possibly come out and say?
Thats when the fire Shanny bullet comes out, and then the new guy needs a yr or 2 to assess.

Reactions: Trapper

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I don't share your concerns about this being Canada, this isn't the NBA.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'd say the "emotional" ones are the ones who are irrationally attached to a player (any player) that hasn't lived up to his contract, especially in the playoffs.

The rational ones are the ones who want to move on from non performing assets to make the TEAM better.
accountability is a foreign concept to many here..........

Reactions: myleafs

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Until July rolls around we really are just shooting the shit. Insiders can write whatever they want. Mirtle said on his podcast that his sources are giving him polar opposite information on where Marner is at. Some say he's adamant on staying, others say a push would lead to a mutual parting of ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad