Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
It's the loser Leafs led by 10 year loser Shannascam. Mitch will play top PP1, the majority of time with Matty or he will whine. They may or may not extend him before the playoffs but we all know how the play will end again next season. Seriously, if that is where we are next April, the fans will storm SBC arena if they extend him.
Nah, but the apathy level will be sky high.

• Love
Reactions: ToneDog

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Not sure why you'd interpret "something going on" as sign of anyone being emotional, I'd interpret it as a sign of "good, they're actually doing something instead of sitting on their collective asses".

Cliff notes: nothing going on is the opposite of good news.
I mean, they just canned the coach and hired a new one who seems like nearly a polar opposite, they aren't exactly sitting on their collective asses. Which again, comes back to the emotional thing, like everyone's very focused on Marner that they aren't seeing the bigger picture.

Management appears to be though, and yes, as much as you want him gone, that is a good thing. It doesn't even mean they wouldn't ask him to waive if the right offer came along, they just aren't being stupid about it.
I'd say the "emotional" ones are the ones who are irrationally attached to a player (any player) that hasn't lived up to his contract, especially in the playoffs.

The rational ones are the ones who want to move on from non performing assets to make the TEAM better.
You can say what you want, but trade borne out of emotion is bad for the team.

No one is saying they shouldn't be trying to make the team better or that they aren't trying to make the team better, either, they most certainly are and they most certainly should. The emotional aspect, again, is the fact everyone's focused on one thing and how it hasn't happened yet so "OMG they are dumb and never going anywhere."

Again, it's almost like the team is being run by adults.

Reactions: ACC1224

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Marner plans on staying to finish out his contract. The power the team had was gone once his no movement clause kicked in. It is management's lack of foresight to give into all of the player's demands. As for what happens after the end of next season is anyone's guess. But in my opinion, to give him more money in a new contract would be a big mistake.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I feel for the next GM after Shanahan is finally fired, maybe that is even Tre? It will be the anti-Dubas situation. Dubas was given everything. Elite high-end talent on entry level deals. Tons of cap space. Yes, everything was not perfect. He probably needed to make some trades to build a winning team. In fact, I'm sure he did. But he was given everything he needed. And he just sucked so bad, like he was a sleeper agent from Montreal.

This next GM, when Shanahan gets fired, is going to be left with overpaid, aging, spoiled brats on forever contracts with full NMCs. God help that poor man or woman.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I mean, they just canned the coach and hired a new one who seems like nearly a polar opposite, they aren't exactly sitting on their collective asses. Which again, comes back to the emotional thing, like everyone's very focused on Marner that they aren't seeing the bigger picture.

Management appears to be though, and yes, as much as you want him gone, that is a good thing. It doesn't even mean they wouldn't ask him to waive if the right offer came along, they just aren't being stupid about it.

No one is saying they shouldn't be trying to make the team better or that they aren't trying to make the team better, either, they most certainly are and they most certainly should. The emotional aspect, again, is the fact everyone's focused on one thing and how it hasn't happened yet so "OMG they are dumb and never going anywhere."

Again, it's almost like the team is being run by adults.
And just how would you know the emotional state of anyone in the Leafs' FO? How do you determine that if they make a trade right now or in the immediate future said trade will be "out of emotion"?

Projection. Look it up.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

You're not making any sense, maybe your emotions are preventing you from thinking clearly.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
LOL it's been so long I'd even forgotten about his comments at the presser. I guess there is some hope, but it also feels likely that it goes something like this:

1 - Shanny asks Marner to waive
2 - Marner refuses to waive
3 - Shanny gives Marner a blank contract and tells him to fill in whatever he wants for the term and the cap hit (the NMC is already pencilled in)

And as I've said earlier, this means everyone brace yourself for another decade of irrelevance.
Nah, I'm jumping off that train. I don't think they will ever win. They are just stringing their loyal fans along. Marner deserves a Matthew Tkachuk punch in the face more than he does a blank cheque. Matthews and Nylander would not be far behind. It is really sad the Leafs have no spine when it comes to negotiating with these 3 losers. Then again, it might be about selling jerseys more than winning the SC. Who cares about being embarrassed in round #1, 7 out of 8 years and once in round #2.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Again, it's almost like the team is being run by incompetent adults.
Don't you mean?

Same people will be butching when we run it back and fin8sh 9th behind detroit and jersey
If they did not get the wake up after losing another game #7 and scoring one lousy goal again, with this core, they surly should get it by not making the playoffs. No?

Reactions: myleafs

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Just toss him on L4. Make Reaves a great..thats his mission

200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I feel pretty discouraged with players looking for cap % instead of dollar comparables. It allows a star like Marner to ask for a top 3 player (MacKinnon) money with just a few years of inflation.

Tough way to manage a team when groups of your roster believe that mindset and take mid term contracts to align with anticipated cap increases.

Man its hard to watch this unfold. I just want this team to win and I'm very anxious that we're going to lock in our position long term because we don't have the ability to find a correct return, or don't have the guts to take a risk.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Idk why trading a player after eight years is, "emotion". It's not like he committed some new sin this year, there was no big reveal that he was a weasel all this time. This is just another playoff series that Marner struggled in after another regular season he was elite in. Management knows who he is, his teammates know who he is, the fans know who he is. It's not like there's incomplete data somewhere that would make the decision for us, we have all of the facts in front of us and it's perfectly possible to come to the objective conclusion that he should be traded, or that he should be kept.

The emotion of it all is that there is a choice to be made and people feel strongly about their side of the choice. Frankly, I'm completely unimpressed by the notion that to trade him would be an "emotional decision".

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Idk why trading a player after eight years is, "emotion". It's not like he committed some new sin this year, there was no big reveal that he was a weasel all this time. This is just another playoff series that Marner struggled in after another regular season he was elite in. Management knows who he is, his teammates know who he is, the fans know who he is. It's not like there's incomplete data somewhere that would make the decision for us, we have all of the facts in front of us and it's perfectly possible to come to the objective conclusion that he should be traded, or that he should be kept.

The emotion of it all is that there is a choice to be made and people feel strongly about their side of the choice. Frankly, I'm completely unimpressed by the notion that to trade him would be an "emotional decision".
But, but we have yet to see what he can do under the new coach. Let's try that and if he shits the bed again, he can walk for free. Sounds like another Shanaplan.

I feel pretty discouraged with players looking for cap % instead of dollar comparables. It allows a star like Marner to ask for a top 3 player (MacKinnon) money with just a few years of inflation.

Tough way to manage a team when groups of your roster believe that mindset and take mid term contracts to align with anticipated cap increases.

Man its hard to watch this unfold. I just want this team to win and I'm very anxious that we're going to lock in our position long term because we don't have the ability to find a correct return, or don't have the guts to take a risk.
Look at Matty who has won nothing trying to maximize earnings by taking a 4 year deal. These guys have no shame. It is always about the money.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Expecting a 27 year old to all of a sudden completely change the way he’s played since he was in junior is a fallacy. If Marner was soft this year and last year and the year before etc etc then he is what he is. If he wants to honour the last year then ok but don’t come around July 1 asking for a raise. He can walk. Time for this org to grow a pair with its own players.

If Marner walks Leafs will have around 22 million to work with if you include Tavares.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Leafs org only makes easy decisions. Getting the talking heads to start laying ground work for another run it back season was only a matter of time.

The team could easily force him out and no players that you'd actually want to sign would care.

Personally, I'm most excited for the acktually articles saying how great of a value he is when they inevitable extend him during a hot streak.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Expecting a 27 year old to all of a sudden completely change the way he’s played since he was in junior is a fallacy. If Marner was soft this year and last year and the year before etc etc then he is what he is. If he wants to honour the last year then ok but don’t come around July 1 asking for a raise. He can walk. Time for this org to grow a pair with its own players
I believe some would call it insanity.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Come on Craig. You know that prompts him to waive. This can become nasty and it should. Mitch Marner has been overpaid, extremely well treated by this organization. You and I both know players in other markets are not nearly as pampered.

The Toronto Maple Leafs in this case, based on lack of performance on Marners part deserve this much. Other GMs should take notice when dealing with the Marner camp going forward.

This is no 11m+ player

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Come on Craig. You know that prompts him to waive. This can become nasty and it should. Mitch Marner has been overpaid, extremely well treated by this organization. You and I both know players in other markets are not nearly as pampered.

The Toronto Maple Leafs in this case, based on lack of performance on Marners part deserve this much. Other GMs should take notice when dealing with the Marner camp going forward.

This is no 11m+ player
Mitch, his Dad, agent, mom, spouse and fan boys agree. He is a $12+m player now.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Mitch, his Dad, agent, mom, spouse and fan boys agree. He is a $12+m player now.
The killer thing about this is that I don't actually think it has ever really been about the actual dollars and cents with Mitch. By all means, he wants to be paid handsomely, but listening to his Dad and Dreger back during the negotiation it was far more about the respect and reputation than the money. The money and where he fit into the salary structure was more about what that meant within the pecking order of the team than actually having 88 or 85m in the bank.

I've always believed that Mitch cares too much and his dreams of being Doug Gilmour are what keep holding him back. But what will eat him is that his failure has killed those Gilmour dreams and the only way of controlling how much "respect" he gets is through the contract once again. This offseason and the NTC are going to be a battle of whether his ego can give up on the Maple Leaf dream without one more chance to make things right. That's certainly what it will be sold to us as if he comes back, but I for one am not buying that, no thank you.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The killer thing about this is that I don't actually think it has ever really been about the actual dollars and cents with Mitch. By all means, he wants to be paid handsomely, but listening to his Dad and Dreger back during the negotiation it was far more about the respect and reputation than the money. The money and where he fit into the salary structure was more about what that meant within the pecking order of the team than actually having 88 or 85m in the bank.

I've always believed that Mitch cares too much and his dreams of being Doug Gilmour are what keep holding him back. But what will eat him is that his failure has killed those Gilmour dreams and the only way of controlling how much "respect" he gets is through the contract once again. This offseason and the NTC are going to be a battle of whether his ego can give up on the Maple Leaf dream without one more chance to make things right. That's certainly what it will be sold to us as if he comes back, but I for one am not buying that, no thank you.
I do not buy the "he cares too much" card. If he did, he would do something to change his game. He is not willing to risk getting hurt. He is allergic to contact. And we thought social distancing was only a COVID thing.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I love the Leafs, I love hockey. I am one of those guys who has watched every Leaf game outside of a handful since I was a young lad. I am not going to go as far as to say I won't watch because I will, but I am just defeated with this franchise.

When Shanahan was hired, people were pissed and throwing jerseys on the ice because we refused to rebuild when it was clear that team was trash. Now we refuse to make changes when it is clear change is needed again.

Last year it was already hard to get into the games. No regular season game meant anything, even Matthews 70 goals was fun to watch but I didn't care because I knew another first round exit and no one else would either.

This year.. IDK. I am tired of waiting 82 games every year to see nothing changed. This roster as constructed is not good enough. It needs changes, and this management group is going to cheap out in net and on defense again and run it back for the 8th time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad