Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
If marner doesnt want to provide trade list and no extension talks (fully knowing we want to move on) then it better start getting ugly.

Boo him. Take away his A. 3rd line mins. No PP.

Reactions: PromisedLand

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Can’t blame him for the contract, that’s on Dubas. You can blame him for pulling the chute in the playoffs every year.

I get the feeling this organization is too afraid to trade him or let him walk and will ultimately give in and re-sign him to a stupid contract.

Who knows, maybe Berube is a modern day Jesus and can resurrect Marners playoff performances, I’m not really counting on that though.

Enjoy at least 8 more years of Mitch

Reactions: Arzak and ToneDog

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Can’t blame him for the contract, that’s on Dubas. You can blame him for pulling the chute in the playoffs every year.

I get the feeling this organization is too afraid to trade him or let him walk and will ultimately give in and re-sign him to a stupid contract.

Who knows, maybe Berube is a modern day Jesus and can resurrect Marners playoff performances, I’m not really counting on that though.

I think leafs keep Marner and wait for Tavares deals to expire.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If marner doesnt want to provide trade list and no extension talks (fully knowing we want to move on) then it better start getting ugly.

It's the loser Leafs led by 10 year loser Shannascam. Mitch will play top PP1, the majority of time with Matty or he will whine. They may or may not extend him before the playoffs but we all know how the play will end again next season. Seriously, if that is where we are next April, the fans will storm SBC arena if they extend him.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Probably. After 12 yrs of Matthews, who was supposed to be superstar, it boils down to a 1 or 2 yr window where they’re hoping they can go to the defenceman tree and pick a couple of studs.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I'm not predicting anything. I really can't understand how slow some of you haters are. Must be the fluoride or something because I'm really struggling to dumb things down for some of you.

Oh boy, hater calling. ouch me

You're not predicting it? Of course, you are, otherwise, you wouldn't care about 8th year now or call it "security".

Everyone knows it's unlikely he'll get close to his point totals without the best goal scorer in the league, you included. You can't admit it directly, but strangely you don't think 1-year deal so he can get 100 points elsewhere and cash in afterwards is an option.

Talk about dumb & hater :). Plus don't group me with anyone, I'm posting for myself, unlike Mitchs PR team.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If he refuses to give trade list it could really get ugly.

Fans are going to boo him.
His A could be taken away
He could be headlining the 3rd line with Kampf and Holmberg.

He is so unlikeable.
With everyone involved being a grownup, none of those things are likely to happen.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Yup. I haven't seen any signs that this organization has grown a pair at some point over the last decade.

Considering the rumor is that Marner doesn't want to waive, I'd say the chances of this happening are quite good. Puke.
That would be plan Z for me. Plan C for Shanny.
+1 on the plan Z. For Shanny though you never know, could be plan A.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yup. I haven't seen any signs that this organization has grown a pair at some point over the last decade.

Considering the rumor is that Marner doesn't want to waive, I'd say the chances of this happening are quite good. Puke.

It did not sound as such at the presser but Shanny has been known to be a politician so you could be right. It is a good thing he works remotely from NYC.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
I guess the fans will have to do what management is unable to do. get him out of town.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It did not sound as such at the presser but Shanny has been known to be a politician so you could be right. It is a good thing he works remotely from NYC.
LOL it's been so long I'd even forgotten about his comments at the presser. I guess there is some hope, but it also feels likely that it goes something like this:

1 - Shanny asks Marner to waive
2 - Marner refuses to waive
3 - Shanny gives Marner a blank contract and tells him to fill in whatever he wants for the term and the cap hit (the NMC is already pencilled in)

And as I've said earlier, this means everyone brace yourself for another decade of irrelevance.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Not sure about the Shanny thing. As if it is his job on the line, running it back and failing(very likely) won’t do him any good. If he makes changes, he can at least sell to his bosses, it takes a few more years….

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
LOL it's been so long I'd even forgotten about his comments at the presser. I guess there is some hope, but it also feels likely that it goes something like this:

3 - Shanny gives Marner a blank contract and tells him to fill in whatever he wants for the term and the cap hit (the NMC is already pencilled in)

And as I've said earlier, this means everyone brace yourself for another decade of irrelevance.
They tell people what they want to hear at the end of the season and hope 75% forget about it by August.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Until a trade presents itself (which I doubt will happen), he's a Leaf.

Knowing he's a Leaf still and Berube the coach, IMO not only is he not going to bench him, take him off PP1, etc. , what's more likely to happen is that he's actually going to do some coaching and may even improve Mitch as a player in an all-round sense.

What happens with the contract is going to happen, blame Dubas for giving him the money and NMC he did.

It is what it is now, and him leaving as a UFA seems likely at this point.
I can see the suits at MLSE reading this and saying “see, I told you this fan base will accept us running it back again………”

That’s the intangible, nobody knows how the season will go, and if there is a stumble, then Marner’s camp might do a rethink under the inevitable pressure.
I’d tell them we’re not resigning you, give us a list of the teams you’re willing to go to, no more negotiations come September. You’re move Mitchie………

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I really don't fear Marner walking. It would be unfortunate but per his contract that is an option available to him. But signing him to a new 8 year deal at $12+ million. That, as Einstein would say, is the definition of insanity. I would prefer a total rebuild to that. What a waste of the next 8 years that would be. I would be jealous of Utah.

Reactions: myleafs

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
LeBrun is also reporting that there is nothing happening right now and hasn't been for weeks. Marner hasn't been asked to supply (or offered to supply) a list of teams he'd move to. Neither side is expecting to talk extension on July 1, there is no meeting scheduled between his agent and the Leafs, and Marner is content to honour his contract and go into the season without an extension.

As much as people want there to be something (gasp, he met for coffee with his new coach, he must be being shipped out!), every actual report suggests there isn't anything going on. This is good news. Not because he isn't getting traded (he might, nearly anyone might), but because we're not being overly emotional about the situation (almost like the people who run the team are adults, crazy).

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015

6 decades already:(

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
LeBrun is also reporting that there is nothing happening right now and hasn't been for weeks. Marner hasn't been asked to supply (or offered to supply) a list of teams he'd move to. Neither side is expecting to talk extension on July 1, there is no meeting scheduled between his agent and the Leafs, and Marner is content to honour his contract and go into the season without an extension.

As much as people want there to be something (gasp, he met for coffee with his new coach, he must be being shipped out!), every actual report suggests there isn't anything going on. This is good news. Not because he isn't getting traded (he might, nearly anyone might), but because we're not being overly emotional about the situation (almost like the people who run the team are adults, crazy).
I'd say the "emotional" ones are the ones who are irrationally attached to a player (any player) that hasn't lived up to his contract, especially in the playoffs.

The rational ones are the ones who want to move on from non performing assets to make the TEAM better.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

Cant do that. Like it or not he is a really really good player and they are still trying to win. If he stays they will need him to win.

Also that kind of treatment gets around the league fast and its already hard enough to sign UFAs in Canada. Punish a guy for exercising the rights the team gave to him, the team is the only ones who look bad in the end.

Reactions: bax and ACC1224

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Cant do that. Like it or not he is a really really good player and they are still trying to win. If he stays they will need him to win.

Also that kind of treatment gets around the league fast and its already hard enough to sign UFAs in Canada. Punish a guy for exercising the rights the team gave to him, the team is the only ones who look bad in the end.

Arizona bounced pay checks and guys still signed there.

Vegas sign guys to long term extension deals and trade them out like they're nothing.

In the end if you're a good team, you'll generally be able to attract talent.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'd say the "emotional" ones are the ones who are irrationally attached to a player (any player) that hasn't lived up to his contract, especially in the playoffs.

The rational ones are the ones who want to move on from non performing assets to make the TEAM better.
Self awareness minus a billion lol. This place never ceases to amaze. Later! Enjoy the circle jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad