Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The thing is though, we have no idea that the team is looking at the player anywhere near as negatively/hostile as folks are doing here.

People have taken a few vague quotes during the season ending presser and have run wild with them.

They may very well be quite happy keeping him.
Quite true.
God help Leafs nation if they consider this option. They will have so much egg on their faces if they run it back, he shits the bed next April or worse do not make the playoffs and he walks for nothing.
They may feel like Marner walking is egg on their faces guaranteed but if they resign him, who knows what might happen?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't think Berube got to where he is today by letting mangagement/player contract talks get in the way of icing the best possible roster every night.

The Leafs aren't going to hurt their own chances of success icing sub-optimal lineups, because fans are mad at a player.
100% but why make him the engine that can't if you know you are moving on? And who says you are hurting your chances by taking him off PP1? They went 1/21 with him QBing the PP in the playoffs.

I'm curious to see which team will meet Marner's salary demands if he walks. No contender in their right mind would offer him $100M.
They can't for 7 years. That would be $14+m. In your dreams Mitch. In your dreams.

Reactions: myleafs

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Because they are not delusional about Marner's worth for other teams. He is bad in playoffs, contenders won't give you picks for a playoff run(1) and the rest can wait one year and keep the prospects/picks they would give away in Marner trade because one year is not worth selling your future now, if you are not a real contender...
Correct. I think Team Marner is in for a big awakening about his actual worth outside of the Toronto PC Bubble.

Reactions: Arzak and ToneDog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think just playing for the Leafs in a contract year and the benefits of that will outweigh any hostile actions taken against him from coaching/management - like taking away his A and not including him in meetings.
The benefit is at most 1 playoff home game, probably not even that?

For content and to make the team at least somewhat interesting next year, it’s actually not a bad thing if he doesn’t sign an extension, doesn’t waive, and it becomes a media gong show.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
100% but why make him the engine that can't if you know you are moving on? And who says you are hurting your chances by taking him off PP1? They went 1/21 with him QBing the PP in the playoffs.

They can't for 7 years. That would be $14+m. In your dreams Mitch. In your dreams.

Until a trade presents itself (which I doubt will happen), he's a Leaf.

Knowing he's a Leaf still and Berube the coach, IMO not only is he not going to bench him, take him off PP1, etc. , what's more likely to happen is that he's actually going to do some coaching and may even improve Mitch as a player in an all-round sense.

What happens with the contract is going to happen, blame Dubas for giving him the money and NMC he did.

It is what it is now, and him leaving as a UFA seems likely at this point.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The benefit is at most 1 playoff home game, probably not even that?

For content and to make the team at least somewhat interesting next year, it’s actually not a bad thing if he doesn’t sign an extension, doesn’t waive, and it becomes a media gong show.
That’s the intangible, nobody knows how the season will go, and if there is a stumble, then Marner’s camp might do a rethink under the inevitable pressure.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
His agent is a shark and a bit of a prick. Ultimately he works for Mitch and anytime Mitch could alter the message to something positive rather than it always being about maximizing dollars and earnings. Not just Marner, but has a Leaf ever spoken to the press like MacKinnon, a winner, and said, I'm taking less so we can win?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Have you not been watching the playoffs for the last 5 years? Unless they keep him to keep the paying customers happy and buying merch, he will not be resigned. 1. His ego will not allow him to take less than Nylander and 2. hopefully the Leafs realize he is not worth anywhere near what he is making today.
Like I said, my comment was more about what the team may be thinking. Do they want the risk associated with a Marner trade? I think it's a fair question to ask.

Reactions: ToneDog

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Knowing he's a Leaf still and Berube the coach, IMO not only is he not going to bench him, take him off PP1, etc. , what's more likely to happen is that he's actually going to do some coaching and may even improve Mitch as a player in an all-round sense.

What happens with the contract is going to happen, blame Dubas for giving him the money and NMC he did.

It is what it is now.
It’s hilarious to me that all the blame goes to the player, when the GM bent over for all the RFA’s, when we actually had ALL the leverage. None of this stuff is happening if not for Dubas getting rolled routinely. Big cap hits, NMC, no term and all money up front, a complete and utter failure, that this organization is still paying for. Nylander’s latest abomination of a contract the aftermath.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He will not get his 100 points not playing on PP1 and with Berube demanding they be more defensively responsible. Nobody in their right mind will pay this playoff loser $100m, unless he puts up 110+ points and even then perhaps not (see Johnny Hockey). Not happening. If he stays, it will be groundhog day in a year and he will walk for nothing. That is not acceptable after all the talent and assets this team has lost to accommodate 3 playoff losers like 16, 34 and 88.
In my opinion it wasn’t the world that was wrong, more likely the coach.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Quite true.

They may feel like Marner walking is egg on their faces guaranteed but if they resign him, who knows what might happen?
I can’t imagine how exactly they would spin the next press conference if he stays, gets paid 12+ million and lose in the 1st round again.

I mean what could you possibly come out and say?

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Marner has full control to deny a trade and stay here for 1 more year. That’s all he has. He controls nothing else.
He doesn’t control who he plays on a line with, if he wears a letter and he doesn’t control being re-signed if the Leafs decide to walk. Which they should.
Excuse me, you haven't seen the small print in Article 4c of his contract which clearly states:

"Mitch shall play with Auston Matthews at all times, and in all Power Play and Penalty Kill situations. Should the above not occur, Mitch will be entitled to go to the bench and pout and to throw his gloves at the Trainer."

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

It is what it is now, and him leaving as a UFA seems likely at this point.
Agree, except I never suggested benching him because that would counter productive and would never happen.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That’s the intangible, nobody knows how the season will go, and if there is a stumble, then Marner’s camp might do a rethink under the inevitable pressure.
I think they’ll continue to be a middle of the road team. They cant acquire what the need unless they free up cap space and it appears they’re trying to re-sign Domi and Bertuzzi and there’s no UFA D available (Pesce, but it’smore than likely he’s staying in the States). They’ll end up with Dumba.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkKnight

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I can’t imagine how exactly they would spin the next press conference if he stays, gets paid 12+ million and lose in the 1st round again.

These idiots might not be thinking that far ahead. Shanny definitely is not because it will not be his problem. It will be Pelleys. I found it interesting that Rory said he broke bread with somebody high up with the Leafs who told him there would be changes. I wonder. Who high up at MLSEL has a connection to golf? Hmmmm.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

Good point. Whoever gives him that much deserves what they get.

You know what happens next. Marner plays great in a contract year, the Leafs sign him to a new deal, and he disappears for the remainder of his new contract. No thanks.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
These idiots might not be thinking that far ahead. Shanny definitely is not because it will not be his problem. It will be Pelleys. I found it interesting that Rory said he broke bread with somebody high up with the Leafs who told him there would be changes. I wonder. Who high up at MLSEL has a connection to golf? Hmmmm.
Big changes for the Leafs is new toilet seats in the bathrooms.
Hard to know what exactly that means from an organization who loves running it back.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It’s hilarious to me that all the blame goes to the player, when the GM bent over for all the RFA’s, when we actually had ALL the leverage. None of this stuff is happening if not for Dubas getting rolled routinely. Big cap hits, NMC, no term and all money up front, a complete and utter failure, that this organization is still paying for. Nylander’s latest abomination of a contract the aftermath.
What's hilarious is this ridiculous notion of yours that nobody else is being blamed. Drop the martyr routine already, it got old a long time ago.

I dunno, I guess they'd say the same crap they say every year.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
What's hilarious is this ridiculous notion of yours that nobody else is being blamed. Drop the martyr routine already, it got old a long time ago.

I dunno, I guess they'd say the same crap they say every year.
If we run it back I can almost guarantee a 1st or 2nd round loss and fans will still be in favor of giving Marner that big raise. Past mistakes aren't a good reason to continue making more.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Are you also predicting he'll age poorly? I thought he'll get 100 points and cups elsewhere so he can ask for a proper raise later with a rising cap!

Not even you can imagine it? ROFL

Mitch needs to cash out on being glued to Matthews with an 8-year contract.
I'm not predicting anything. I really can't understand how slow some of you haters are. Must be the fluoride or something because I'm really struggling to dumb things down for some of you.

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
giphy.webp
Is there an issue? Or is that you beating your head because they cancelled your favourite cartoon?

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
If he refuses to give trade list it could really get ugly.

Fans are going to boo him.
His A could be taken away
He could be headlining the 3rd line with Kampf and Holmberg.

He is so unlikeable.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If we run it back I can almost guarantee a 1st or 2nd round loss and fans will still be in favor of giving Marner that big raise. Past mistakes aren't a good reason to continue making more.
Some fans, sure. There are a few posters here who are likely to jump through hoops to justify any contract we give to Marner no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad