Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I don't see why you think the leafs have any control - explain how they can control Marner. I get they can leak stuff through the media and control his playing time/opportunity, but both of these options come with major repercussions.
Thats game theory in a nutshell. It is not in the best interests of either actor for both actors to lose - leverage is derived from avoiding that outcome.

It can be nuanced - if Marner is not part of the long term program does he get stat padding minutes over developing players? Or it can just get straight ugly.

It's just not a good idea for either party to go down that road if it becomes combative.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Lmao. The team can want whatever they want, but if Marner wants money above all else he'll have his own priorities. I doubt he's thinking about how he can benefit his team in UFA a year from now by taking less money, the premise sounds ridiculous, but you seem to want to keep Mitch so I guess it checks out.

What security? He already has full control and can pick his own destination if he chooses.
I'm referring to your 8th year comment

Lol 1-2 million for security. LeBron James spends 1 million on security. The Beckhams also spend 1 million.

Marner is probably spending max 100,000 for that Rocket Security guy. It's not even 24/7.
You are not even in the right universe in addressing my point. Put the drugs away. Not surprised

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
They won't let him walk for nothing. If they can't trade him, they will resign him. It's the path of least resistance for the Leafs, and management seems to love that approach. Safe. If you don't do something risky, you can't be blamed for doing something risky.
The most risky path forward for Toronto is Marner committed to the team with a NMC for the next nine years, and at ~$100M.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The most risky path forward for Toronto is Marner committed to the team with a NMC for the next nine years, and at ~$100M.
Depends how you look at it, right? For the team, that may the least risky outcome. A proven 90-100 point player locked up for term, and you hope that at some point the playoff pieces fall into place with him on the team. The alternative is the unknown of a trade, which carries tremendous potential risk (and obviously potential gain, as well). The GM is already wearing one of those with the Tkachuk trade, and it's not outlandish to suggest that it played a part in him losing his job. I think they should trade Marner, but I won't be surprised if they instead end up resigning him. The only outcome that I think is a certainty not to happen is Marner playing out his last year and signing somewhere else on July 1. I don't think there is any realistic scenario where that is the outcome.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Depends how you look at it, right? For the team, that may the least risky outcome. A proven 90-100 point player locked up for term, and you hope that at some point the playoff pieces fall into place with him on the team. The alternative is the unknown of a trade, which carries tremendous potential risk (and obviously potential gain, as well). The GM is already wearing one of those with the Tkachuk trade, and it's not outlandish to suggest that it played a part in him losing his job. I think they should trade Marner, but I won't be surprised if they instead end up resigning him. The only outcome that I think is a certainty not to happen is Marner playing out his last year and signing somewhere else on July 1. I don't think there is any realistic scenario where that is the outcome.
He didn’t lose his job in Calgary.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I think the timeline itself carries the largest weighted risk in this equation. There is no good way to protect the downside on that type of NMC commitment.

Your counter points are near term and involve hope. That cap could potentially be flexible for the next decade to produce different results than what we have experienced.

My understanding is that Tre didn't lose his job, the Flames lost Tre.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
So out of 3 options he's choosing the guaranteed lose option for the Leafs.

No extension - So no under value deal

No trade - So no assets

If he sucks - he walks, Leafs get nothing

If he's good, he walks, or the Leafs get assblasted in contract negotiations.

Pinkcat

Jul 4, 2013

No trade - So no assets

You are completely discounting the CAP space that will be recovered.
Personally I enjoyed watching regular season Marner, play-off Marner not so much. Signing Reaves didn't solve the issue with Marner so they are a better team with Marner's CAP re-allocated.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
You are completely discounting the CAP space that will be recovered.
Personally I enjoyed watching regular season Marner, play-off Marner not so much. Signing Reaves didn't solve the issue with Marner so they are a better team with Marner's CAP re-allocated.

Sure, but I was dreaming of a top 6 and a 1st.

I'd rather him walk than sign him, but still whatever.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

No trade - So no assets

Some, maybe most are happy with the 11 million in cap space, some have said its addition by subtraction. So it’s a win for the leafs no matter what happens.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Surely Dubas wants him, but he blew all his money on Karlsson. We'll retain if you sweeten the pot Kyle. Draft schmaft.
Did he trade all of their picks away too? If not he is probably ready to do it now.

Thats game theory in a nutshell. It is not in the best interests of either actor for both actors to lose - leverage is derived from avoiding that outcome.

It can be nuanced - if Marner is not part of the long term program does he get stat padding minutes over developing players? Or it can just get straight ugly.

It's just not a good idea for either party to go down that road if it becomes combative.

MLSE will be scared to deal with him posting about mean tweets and the nusty curse words that a coach used in the past. He will complain about something and cry and say its not his fault that MLSE does not have a nice environment.

Some, maybe most are happy with the 11 million in cap space, some have said its addition by subtraction. So it’s a win for the leafs no matter what happens.

No we need a return. There should be a return.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
In my world, when you see the words "mutually part ways", it means someone was fired.
still not the nest gm in the world .hes obviously taking direction from shanahan .they are gonna run it back ,and maybe look worse as the other clubs ,detroit and jersey for sure will be better

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Really discouraging comment from EF. Why would the leafs be telling EF they already fear a bad return that they haven't negotiated yet?

Because they are not delusional about Marner's worth for other teams. He is bad in playoffs, contenders won't give you picks for a playoff run(1) and the rest can wait one year and keep the prospects/picks they would give away in Marner trade because one year is not worth selling your future now, if you are not a real contender...

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

:D you mean point pacer, because he never had 100 points in a season. That's 90-100 point pacer playing with 60-70 goal Matthews.

Proven? Don't make me laugh, he can't carry a line. Without PRIME JT or Matthews, Mitch is not sniffing 90 points. Proven my ass.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
shanny is too afraid
How Berube decides to use Marner will be a big factor in him waiving. Ice time, pp minutes, what line he plays on could have him begging to be moved by US Thanksgiving……….

It's not too late to fire him like they should have done already.
He’s coated in Teflon, wonder if it keeps his stink under control……..

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I'm referring to your 8th year comment

You are not even in the right universe in addressing my point. Put the drugs away. Not surprised

Are you also predicting he'll age poorly? I thought he'll get 100 points and cups elsewhere so he can ask for a proper raise later with a rising cap!

Not even you can imagine it? ROFL

Mitch needs to cash out on being glued to Matthews with an 8-year contract.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad