Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Nobody cares if Marner is good looking or ugly or has enough money to buy more women than that guy in the Bible that had 1000 wives.

Wasnt he lucky. I can't even get along with the one I have. I can only imagine having 999 more of them

Same how this team has way too many primadonnas on it.

Marner should have been traded years ago. It makes me puke in my mouth thinking he's gonna be on the team again next year. Just get rid of him already.

There's sooooo many good reasons why they should be trading him.

He's got a piss poor attitude. He can't step up his game when it matters most. He wants more money than makes sense to pay him.

But he's makes all the little girls hearts go pitter patter so maybe they should keep him around.
My wife always said he’s an ugly kid, and she knows ugly.

Pinkcat

Jul 4, 2013
Touche. A fellow aficionado clearly. What did you think of the BBC series with Cumberbatch?

Prediction: Marner stays for next season with Bundy willing to lose him for nothing if necessary in a contract stare-down. Marner ultimately re-signs at little to no raise. Just to stay on topic.
Martin Freeman was also outstanding in that series.

Marner won't be on the team 13 months from now. The CAP will be re-distributed to balance the team.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I just checked the list of UFA’s in 2025. It’s a fairly strong list. With the Leafs having Marner and Tavares expiring, Toronto has a great opportunity to really change the composition of the team. Even if Marner does not waive in 2024, Toronto’s will be able to retool this team with ~22m to spend in 2025.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
But they're 27(ish) not 37. It can still happen. How many do overs did Ovechkin get before finally getting a ring?

It'd be nice to see what the big 3 can do without slow Tavares his huge contract and his lack of leadership holding back the line up from what it could be.
Ovie was a lot more noticeable and actually a beast even if his team didn’t make it past the 2nd round.
Our guys can’t even get past the First Round

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Man some of the shit I read on here about Marner 🤣

Stockholm Syndrome

If only this 11m player played with some of the best playoff performers of this generation, he would be killing it (he wouldnt, he would probably hurt their production if he continued to play like he does here)! Bro would hog the puck from Hintz so he cant even attack the zone with speed cause Mitchy likes to play slow.

Why dont you expect him to be one of the best playoff performers of his generation on his own when hes the 2nd highest paid winger in the league? Insanity.

Theres a long list of players similar to Marner that never really break out in their playoff careers. Not everyone is a Kane or Kucherov. Just look at Panarin, better player than Marner currently, but still has similar issues and ineffectiveness come playoff time.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Free agent frenzy is one month from today. There are 32 teams that don’t need Mitchy, but one of them will be stuck with him.

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Free agent frenzy is one month from today. There are 32 teams that don’t need Mitchy, but one of them will be stuck with him.
30 days until his bonus is paid.
Then we can see if he is actually moving.
Let him get his retirement plan somewhere else.
No way would I give him 12+.
That’s enough, we’ve paid our 2 forwards now. If it is about team and everyone is important, put some important people on D, goalie, 2C, 3C and depth.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That’s enough, we’ve paid our 2 forwards now. If it is about team and everyone is important, put some important people on D, goalie, 2C, 3C and depth.
They’ll likely need to take some salary back in a trade so they won’t have the full 11 million to spend. There’s not many worthwhile D they can sign in FA. Maybe Tanev, but that’s long shot unless they over pay.
I’d give Woll another shot and find a really good backup. I see Saros going to NJD.

Reactions: ToneDog

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Nobody cares if Marner is good looking or ugly or has enough money to buy more women than that guy in the Bible that had 1000 wives.

Wasnt he lucky. I can't even get along with the one I have. I can only imagine having 999 more of them

Same how this team has way too many primadonnas on it.

Marner should have been traded years ago. It makes me puke in my mouth thinking he's gonna be on the team again next year. Just get rid of him already.

There's sooooo many good reasons why they should be trading him.

He's got a piss poor attitude. He can't step up his game when it matters most. He wants more money than makes sense to pay him.

But he's makes all the little girls hearts go pitter patter so maybe they should keep him around.
Is this what passes for hockey talk these days? Holy shit dude...sack up a bit.

Reactions: Confucius

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
One thing I learned is, the media definitely reads HFboards

I posted the twitter link to the Berube pic with Marner, within a minute spittin chicklets posted the exact same link

Then the Tkachuk "trade rumors" I brought up lol

HFBoards is where the real influencers go to get info and anonymously mix it up. We are all here pit fighting.

Best content.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
So 30 more days of Team Marner making excuses on why he shouldn’t be traded, I might need to take a break from the lame excuses. Imo, part of Marner’s problems are he’s been spoiled since he was a kid and making excuses for his shortcomings only further enables his perception that he’s a God…….

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I just checked the list of UFA’s in 2025. It’s a fairly strong list. With the Leafs having Marner and Tavares expiring, Toronto has a great opportunity to really change the composition of the team. Even if Marner does not waive in 2024, Toronto’s will be able to retool this team with ~22m to spend in 2025.

But if the Leafs move him now they will have more kicks at the can with better roster balance; Leafs will have 4 forwards at 11 AAV+ that is an absolute DISASTER this upcoming season. Work with Marner for a sign and trade so he can choose his destination and Leafs get something back. Leafs will also get more plausible chances to go for the cup next 4 years (including next season) if Marner is traded.

Some options now. One can have many other options

Option A (mostly based on forward depth)
- Trade with Seattle and get Wright back with Marner for Wright++ after Marner's signigng bonus is paid do a sign and trade
- Sign ideally both of Pesce and DeMelo but if not feasible then get one and bring boosh back
- Bring back Edmundson
- Use the ++ from Marner trade to go shopping for a goalie
- Sign (2 or 3) of Domi/Bert/Toffoli/P.Kane/Noesen (X)
- Trade Kampf, Jankrok
- Total CAP OUT: (Marner+Kampf+Jankrok) = approx.15.5AAV
- Total CAP SPACE available: 15.5 + 18.5 = 34 AAV to spend

(Domi/Bertuzzi)X-Matthews-X(Kane/Bertuzzi)
Knies-Wright-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-X(Noesen/Toffoli)/Cowan
Minten-Dewar-Reaves/Holmberg

McCabe Pesce/DeMelo
Rielly Pesce/DeMelo/Boosh
Benoit Liljegren* (Give Lily PP#1 Duties)
Edmundson-Timmins
Webber

Option B (really just get #2C and #1D that can play #1PP)
- Trade Marner for cap space + picks only (no roster player)
- Go HARD after Montour (would be hard i think panthers wanna keep him)
- Go HARD after Lindholm (i wonder what his AAV would be?)
- Bring back Edmundson
- Use the picks from Marner trade to go shopping for a goalie
- Sign (ONLY 1 or 2 (if cap allows) of Domi/Bert/Toffoli/P.Kane/Noesen (X)
- Trade Kampf, Jankrok
- See if "cap" allows us to get one of Pesce/DeMelo/ worst scenario Boosh
Total CAP SPACE available: 15.5 + 18.5 = 34 AAV to spend

Knies-Matthews-X
Cowan-Lindholm-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-X/Holmberg
Minten-Dewar-Reaves/Holmberg

McCabe Montour
Rielly Pesce/DeMelo/Boosh
Benoit Liljegren*/Timmins/Boosh (move Lily if his ask his more than 3rd pairing UFA)
Edmundson
-Timmins
Webber

Option C
Basically we want to use marner's cap hit and spread the money around and make team better overall instead of putting all our 11 million dollar eggs in one basket i.e. Marner. Also can move on from Kampf, Jankrok, etc...

Whether Option A or B or C
Prefer Option A over B as it gives us a lot of flexibility with Wright still on ELC for duration of Matthews' deal so it will give us more Bang for the Buck even if it means going for a goalie that has a high AAV that may come to us to play with Woll.

Following Season (2025-2026)
When Tavares is off the cap - use that 11 AAV very wisely to improve the team even more!

Last edited:
Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

myleafs

May 25, 2021
The WCF is a matchup Marner would tear up. If we are really going to lose him, it should be easy to get a massive haul from a western conference team. It's weird how each conference has a different vibe to it. Marner's style would thrive in the west "vibe" for a lack of better words. By the SCF everyone's in pain and tired. Marner will shake and bake guaranteed.

I don't want to trade Marner but I do see the multiple ways we can boost our team if the trade is done right. The main factor for making sure it's done right is you only trade @ premium for the massive haul. If it smells of even 1% cap dump, hang up the phone.
yea...no

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Lol have you been watching? Where is the physicality in the Dallas/Edmonton match up? The Western Conference Final has been run and gun and lots of PP and offense and free flowing offense. The Eastern Final has been way more physical. I’d actually agree that Marner on either Dallas or Edmonton would probably be having a field day. As would any good offensive player

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lol have you been watching? Where is the physicality in the Dallas/Edmonton match up? The Western Conference Final has been run and gun and lots of PP and offense and free flowing offense. The Eastern Final has been way more physical. I’d actually agree that Marner on either Dallas or Edmonton would probably be having a field day. As would any good offensive player

I don't think FL can handle EDM if they are healthy. They got IT going on right now.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don't think FL can handle EDM if they are healthy. They IT going on right now.

Agreed I think the winner is coming out of the west this year. Both Dallas and Edmonton have too much speed and lethal power plays. If EDM can get goaltending like they had last night from Skinner I don’t see how they lose. They are too fast, too skilled and deep everywhere.

Reactions: bax and thewave

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Hope you guys are now comfortable with having Mitchy around for one more year cause he ain't waiving in the offseason. It's gonna be a media shitshow and I fully expect that he'll clash with Berube before Xmas.

Best we can hope for is he waives at the deadline and we get something back before he walks to UFA.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Mitch wouldn’t be able to keep up anyway, he’s not a particularly fast skater. And they don’t score on the PP anyway, so not like he’s getting points there either

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Lol... you must live a miserable lonely life. Majority of your posts consist of one sentence, critical posts about other posters. Look, heres a thought....how about you contribute a bit to discussions... add a few more sentences to your posts. Or are you a afraid of being judged by posters like yourself?
When thoughts are idiotic, there isn't much sense in a lengthy rebuttal. Case in point.

Reactions: francis246

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
One thing I learned is, the media definitely reads HFboards

I posted the twitter link to the Berube pic with Marner, within a minute spittin chicklets posted the exact same link

Then the Tkachuk "trade rumors" I brought up lol
Pelley visits here too, that remark about jersey sales comes right from these threads.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad