Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Essentially PPG in back to back years, on a much weaker offence, plays physical and fights and will go into corners ?
Can't get his team I to playoffs, cheats on defense...

?Always been that way.

We are now at Hyman is waaay better than Mitch. Especially at their current cap hits!

How does Mitch feel about Edmonton?
We are at a new level of stupidity

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
if the choices are getting a crap return or overpaying Marner then i'd sign him
Wow I would take the lesser of the 2 evils because 8 more years of him eating that kind of money would kill this team until the next total tank and rebuild.
He is like 28 or something and he will never learn to be a playoff performer .
All that aside if they can’t trade him I certainly wouldn’t extend him until the end of next year season

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Can't get his team I to playoffs, cheats on defense...

We are at a new level of stupidity

1717196552081.gif

Some of these takes…

Reactions: ACC1224

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021

One insider already claims to know where Mitch Marner will end up and what the return for the Maple Leafs will be.​

Dennis Berstein of The Fourth Period was on Sportsnet's 'The Big Show' this week and was asked if he felt Mitch Marner would be traded and, if so, to what team?

At a cap hit of $10.9M moving Marner's contract is no small feat and he would obviously have to agree to waive his no-movement clause, but what Berstein said makes sense. The combined cap hit of Karlsson and Theodore is $11.1M. By moving the pair for Marner, the Knights actually gain cap space, while the extra $200K the Leafs would have to take on doesn't hinder their off-season much, if at all. The Leafs are also reportedly willing to pay Marner's $7.25M signing bonus, which is due on July 1st if it helps facilitate a trade.

Theodore needs to come with an extension. If this guy walks then the deal looks terrible.

I’m starting to like the idea of a futures based package where the Leafs get younger and save a bunch of cap space then go after a guy like Guentzel.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It is interesting that we're considering moving to teams like Nashville and Vegas who are supposed to be the anti Marner type clubs

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Wow I would take the lesser of the 2 evils because 8 more years of him eating that kind of money would kill this team until the next total tank and rebuild.
He is like 28 or something and he will never learn to be a playoff performer .
All that aside if they can’t trade him I certainly wouldn’t extend him until the end of next year season
getting a crap return then overpaying lesser players in the ufa market won't turn out better

his raise won't be much and with the cap going up and hopefully with JT off the team the club should have more than enough money to round out the roster

take a look at our forwards without him , what's available in the ufa market and at what price and for me unless we're getting a fair return i'd much prefer to re-sign him

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
getting a crap return then overpaying lesser players in the ufa market won't turn out better

his raise won't be much and with the cap going up and hopefully JT off the team the club should have more than enough money to round out the roster

take a look at our forwards without him , what's available in the ufa market and at what price and for me unless we're getting a fair return i'd much prefer to re-sign him
37.25m to losers of 8 of 9 playoffs series. That is insanity.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Leave it to you to not only eat Seravelli's crap up, but to post it.
Lol... you must live a miserable lonely life. Majority of your posts consist of one sentence, critical posts about other posters. Look, heres a thought....how about you contribute a bit to discussions... add a few more sentences to your posts. Or are you a afraid of being judged by posters like yourself?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
37.25m to losers of 8 of 9 playoffs series. That is insanity.
it might be but the alternative could be much worse

i've already lived through the 80's and then another decade of futility as well as being told endlessly on this board how Burke and Kesssel/Phaneuf were going to lead us to a cup so it could be as i said much worse

it might be a losing race against AM/MM/WN's prime but i do believe if we could build a gritty group around them they are easily good enough to win a cup

Reactions: leafs in five

Cassell

Apr 28, 2024
I seem to remember someone in this thread previously proposing a trade that, the more I consider it, I seem to like more and more. Maybe it’s just me. I believe it was something like Marner (and possibly one or more other pieces) to the Kraken in exchange for some combination of Shane Wright, Adam Larsson, Will Borgen and the Kraken’s 2024 first round pick (which I believe is 8th overall). Anyone else have any thoughts on any of this?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

i've already lived through the 80's and then another decade of futility as well as being told endlessly on this board how Burke and Kesssel/Phaneuf were going to lead us to a cup so it could be as i said much worse

it might be a losing race against AM/MM/WN's prime but i do believe if we could build a gritty group around them they are easily good enough to win a cup
Hasn’t this been tried already?

Theodore needs to come with an extension. If this guy walks then the deal looks terrible.

I’m starting to like the idea of a futures based package where the Leafs get younger and save a bunch of cap space then go after a guy like Guentzel.
Not sure getting rid of Marner just to spend more on another tiny winger is the best idea

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

There iare 2 better options. Get a good return or let him walk for nothing.

Theo is a good base for a trade..I suggested Theo and Hill and Roy. Given Leafs will pay his bonus, it makes sense to me.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
There iare 2 better options. Get a good return or let him walk for nothing.

Theo is a good base for a trade..I suggested Theo and Hill and Roy. Given Leafs will pay his bonus, it makes sense to me.
yeah if you get a good return you trade him as i already have said as well

walk for nothing and then do what , overpay for lesser players in the ufa market , why would anyone believe that would make the team better ?

Reactions: bax and ACC1224

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
As bad as Marner supposedly is he still put up more points in the playoffs than anybody else on this team

View attachment 877130
So the guy on the team who has the puck on his stick the most. The QB of the PP. The guy who stirs the drink. The guy with all the dips and doodles. The guy who has led the team to a consistently pathetic offensive showing in playoff hockey. He has a slight lead in total points. Well yippie doo. The offense is still terrible. Maybe we could do better, if he wasn't leading us to glory? Like the puck was on someone else's stick and he wasn't even here? No more dips. No more doodles.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
So the guy on the team who has the puck on his stick the most. The QB of the PP. The guy who stirs the drink. The guy with all the dips and doodles.The guy who has led the team to a consistently pathetic offensive showing in playoff hockey. He has a slight lead in total points. Well yippie doo. The offense is still terrible. Maybe we could do better if he wasn't leading us to glory? Like the puck was on someone else's stick and he wasn't even here? No more dips. No more doodles.
Darn I thought I was going to like that post. lol!

Reactions: Racer88

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
"The Sign of Four".

(We'll blame autocorrect.)
Touche. A fellow aficionado clearly. What did you think of the BBC series with Cumberbatch?

Prediction: Marner stays for next season with Bundy willing to lose him for nothing if necessary in a contract stare-down. Marner ultimately re-signs at little to no raise. Just to stay on topic.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Prediction: Marner stays for next season with Bundy willing to lose him for nothing if necessary in a contract stare-down. Marner ultimately re-signs at little to no raise. Just to stay on topic.
That's too bold for the way the Leafs operate. I predict they'll meet with Marner and ask him if he'd rather be traded somewhere away from the Toronto spotlight. If he says no, he'll be re-signed.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

his raise won't be much and with the cap going up and hopefully with JT off the team the club should have more than enough money to round out the roster

I would hope that the new management would do a better job of using any cap relief we would get by Marner leaving. We won’t know who and what is available after next season when his contract is up.
We have ran this combination for 8 years now and poor results in the playoffs, I’m not sure how many of us can handle 8 more years of this.
Marner is never going to be a difference maker in the playoffs, it’s just not who he is.
As far as the cap going up Matthews and Nylanders new deals are going to eat up all of next years increase.
Sometimes it’s better to just rip the band aide off and move forward rather then just doing the same thing over and over again into what would be the second decade of them

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Has this JOKE waived the NTC/NMC yet?

Watching Oilers' stars show the F up to play has really gotten me even more worked up;

Get this pretender off of this team ffs

Marner is absolute GARBAGE

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
You think Marner is more valuable than B.Tkachuk and 2-3 million in cap space?
I think posting a picture of Marner at ~15 to giggle at his outfit and where he is on his growth curve is stupid. I think constantly posting him in a Mickey Mouse shirt thinking you did something is an embarassing take. I think a lot of the takes in this thread are horrifically bad and from emotion rather than reason. This from a guy who would move him in the summer and felt he should have been considered as a trade option for some time.

It's cool, you can back off your "everyone must hate Marner" pitch though at any point. It's a little tiring and over the top. He has flaws and it's time to move on IMO, but it's not worth continually repeating the same points over and over. It's why this board basically dies every summer.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I’m not even sure if we want Marner even at that price. We need to change the culture of the team into winners at all cost and he’s just not it.
He’s not a kid anymore, he’s 28 and is what he is and will never change

Marner MUST GTFO

I don't Marner even at 6 AAV. I'd rather put Marner's cap hit else where and make team more balanced and hard to play against.

We need a culture change and the first one out needs to be the guy who held team hostage for money, whose agent gave an interview "marner will get paid what he's worth" the same day matthews signed, the guys who doesn't go into corners, wears "A" on his jersey and blames everyone and their nana instead of taking any f***ing responsibility. Thats not the BULLSHIT mindset I want the youngsters of this team to have.

We have no place for this Marner garbage anymore. He needs to GTFO.

Leafs needs a culture change and a new identity that isn't of a petulant child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad