Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Malkin was 35/36 when he signed his current contract not a 28 year old entering his prime in free agency. I don’t think Malkin had a choice but to accept that lol. Nice try though

ROFL

First of all, Marner can't hold Malkin's skates. The whole comparison is foolish. The fact that you think Malkin had no other choice is just Pejorative Slured.

35yr old Malkin > 28 yr old playoff Mitch.

Nice try though

edit: perfectly good word, starting with r, means very limited

Reactions: hullsy47

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Too had this isn’t how real life works, no player, especially a star player is going to accept a 2 million pay cut, no matter how much they love a city.

Their agents wouldn’t allow it, the NHLPA would be up their ass and probably their families.
If he was on any other team he would not get that contract so I doubt the NHLPA would be too upset. In fact players laughed at it and went about their business.

Reactions: thewave

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
you interject yourself into many of my conversations and then say why are you bringing this up. If you don’t care, don’t reply. It’s quite simple.

The conversation was about loving the city, there are many players who are born and raised in Toronto and even current and former maple leafs players who are born and raised in Toronto and Toronto is not their primary residence. They rather not live here in the off-season or they want to escape the media. O’Dog talked about it a lot, a lot of the GTA guys lived in Florida, Atlanta, Carolina during the off-season.
A lot of players go to Toronto to train and skate.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Also how delusional do you have to be to convince yourself into thinking Marner doesn’t love Toronto or being a Maple Leaf. It’s quite obvious he loves being here, that can’t even be denied at this point. Whether him being here long term is good for him is another topic that can be debated though.

Side note* Additionally he and JT are the only guys who live here year round. Even despite the scrutiny he doesn’t run off to some warm American City in the off-season.

He loves Toronto like any other character that demonstrates narcissistic traits. He loves its a rich club, he held it hostage. He ran it through the media with Babcock because Babcock didn't like his Mickey Mouse game. Yeah he loves the 10.9m far beyond Toronto. If you don't believe me sit down and watch is stupid looking face while he brushes away criticism and deflects everything on others 90% of the time.

He is a piece of shit role model and a piece of shit playoff performer. Wanted nothing to do with him back when. Want nothing to do with him now.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I believe this is where this "love of the city" thing started:
Too had this isn’t how real life works, no player, especially a star player is going to accept a 2 million pay cut, no matter how much they love a city.

Their agents wouldn’t allow it, the NHLPA would be up their ass and probably their families.
And then this response:
If they love the city enough, there's nothing to stop them. They can fire their agent. They can tell the PA to shove it. They just don't love the city that much.....
And now this:
It’s not an issue for me at all. Simply pointing out that Marner not really loving the city is a dumb narrative. If he didn’t love the city or being here I’m sure he’d get out of here if he had the chance to in the off-season like other GTA born leafs have and did when they played for the leafs.

They were at the end of their careers. Spezza had an opportunity to sign here as a UFA in his prime and went to Dallas instead. I wonder why he didn’t take less then to play for his hometown team
So unless I missed it somewhere, nobody said that Marner doesn't love the city, just that he doesn't love it enough to take a big discount on his contract. I also don't think anyone is saying that he should do that, they're just saying they disagree with your contention that their agent and the NHLPA wouldn't allow it.

I say you're just wrong. Agents work for the players and in the end, the players can do whatever they like. You have been given several examples of players taking discounts (including Spezza/Giordano) and the fact that those two were nearing the end of their careers doesn't change the fact that they took discounts, this was not disallowed by their agents and I the NHLPA was up their ass and their families too, it's the first I've heard of it.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that Marner should be expected to sign for a discount, I'm just saying that he could if he wanted to.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

And then this response:

And now this:

So unless I missed it somewhere, nobody said that Marner doesn't love the city, just that he doesn't love it enough to take a big discount on his contract. I also don't think anyone is saying that he should do that, they're just saying they disagree with your contention that their agent and the NHLPA wouldn't allow it.

I say you're just wrong. Agents work for the players and in the end, the players can do whatever they like. You have been given several examples of players taking discounts (including Spezza/Giordano) and the fact that those two were nearing the end of their careers doesn't change the fact that they took discounts, this was not disallowed by their agents and I the NHLPA was up their ass and their families too, it's the first I've heard of it.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that Marner should be expected to sign for a discount, I'm just saying that he could if he wanted to.

Why even respond to love the city. Its a Bs argument. Anyone can say it. What level of love does Mitch have? The level of love to fight for a 2m+ overpay off the hop right. Lots of love right there. Loves the city so much he doesn't want his little boy body to take a standard hit in the corner so we can win.

***DONT PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT PEOPLE SAY. PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT THEY DO***

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I’m not even sure if we want Marner even at that price. We need to change the culture of the team into winners at all cost and he’s just not it.
He’s not a kid anymore, he’s 28 and is what he is and will never change
I'm with you. Marner at 9x8, no thanks. We need that culture change badly and there's no bigger first step we can take in that direction than moving on from Marner.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

And then this response:

And now this:

The fact management couldn’t explain the situation to those three and their agents is ridiculous.

ETA I would charge the Leafs a Toronto tax, as well, so there’s that factor.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
The fact management couldn’t explain the situation to those three and their agents is ridiculous.

ETA I would charge the Leafs a Toronto tax, as well, so there’s that factor.
Which 3 ?? Willy would have taken a discount again

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
There are lots of GTA born players who do not come back to Toronto or stay in the town they are playing in during the off-season. They have a residence in a state they like. Nashville is a pretty popular place for a lot of NHL players, same with Arizona.
But you are talking about MM who has been playing hockey his whole life in Toronto beside the two years at London.
For his case, it will be weird if he moves to another city in the off season.
I don’t think you can use players no staying in certain cities during the off season as a point to state that player doesn’t like the team or want to be in that city.

Reactions: ACC1224

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why even respond to love the city. Its a Bs argument. Anyone can say it. What level of love does Mitch have? The level of love to fight for a 2m+ overpay off the hop right. Lots of love right there. Loves the city so much he doesn't want his little boy body to take a standard hit in the corner so we can win.

***DONT PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT PEOPLE SAY. PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT THEY DO***
Mitch loves Toronto and the Leafs but he loves money more. The same is probably true for the other 3. Rielly is the exception. Hyman and Kadri would have stayed for slightly less money as well IMO.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Get the best value even if it means getting futures and doesn't immediately fill current needs. fill some of the needs with the cap space created and wait for opportunities to trade for others with those futures.
They should have held out last contract and gave him a take it or leave offer just below the top pick compensation level hoping someone would give him an offer sheet and then take the four picks.

Although Dubas likely would have picked four little slow guys.

Which 3 ?? Willy would have taken a discount again
Mitchy, Matthews and Nylander.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

And then this response:

And now this:

Spezza didn’t take 2 million less than market value. Spezza took league minimum when he could of got what? A million in UFA as a fourth line guy? We all know we are talking about UFAs in their prime not guys signing 35+ contracts that are trying to help teams out. I was very specific, you will not find a superstar who resigned for less than what they made coming of their RFA contracts in the cap era. Literally no one has done that

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Mitch loves Toronto and the Leafs but he loves money more. The same is probably true for the other 3. Rielly is the exception. Hyman and Kadri would have stayed for slightly less money as well IMO.

I dont believe anything the kid says. In the media you can tell the guy knows he is a fake stat hockey player. He is always worried about being called out on his overpay and under performance. He deflects and projects and can never be honest and himself because he cant even be honest with himself at this point.

I would hate to have boxed myself in like that. Then again I guess the 10m home and cottages etc ease the pain.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Let's not get carried away here, you don't have to love the City of Toronto to love the Toronto Maple Leafs. I just want them to love the Maple Leafs even if it means living in that detestable city. (I just can't handle the traffic)

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They should have held out last contract and gave him a take it or leave offer just below the top pick compensation level hoping someone would give him an offer sheet and then take the four picks.

Shouda, woulda, coulda. Dubas was in over his head, panicked and gave them everything they wanted. They thought they had a SC contender when they really had a SC pretender because they bet on the wrong horses, over and over again.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
When your leader shows zero interest in taking a discount, neither will the next group. The only guys who take discounts are the foot soldiers. This team needs a culture change but they won't trade their unicorn.

I said it yesterday I will never understand how we went from offering Stamkos 9.5 the summer before to offering Tavares 11.5 the following season. In hindsight if you look at it from that angle it’s not a surprise we are in this mess

Reactions: ToneDog

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Shouda, woulda, coulda. Dubas was in over his head, panicked and gave them everything they wanted. They thought they had a SC contender when they really had a SC pretender because they bet on the wrong horses, over and over again.

Can you imagine the team we would have had if another GM was in and Shanahan was out? The good players Dubas walked out the door. Two moves caused this plus contract negotiations.

Keeping Mitch. Signing JT. Contracts.

Fix that we are for sure conference finalists year after year.

Reactions: arso40 and ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The extra sad part is just how many fans they made believe this (and still do with the core).
OMG you can’t trade player X from the core, we might lose.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I said it yesterday I will never understand how we went from offering Stamkos 9.5 the summer before to offering Tavares 11.5 the following season. In hindsight if you look at it from that angle it’s not a surprise we are in this mess
In hindsight he was not worth more than 9.5m and he probably would have signed for less to play here. What I give him credit for is that he took $77m when he could have taken $88m from the Isles. No way the other 3 leave that money on the table.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

6.9 was pretty pedestrian compared to 11 mill contracts post elc

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The extra sad part is just how many fans they made believe this (and still do with the core).
OMG you can’t trade player X from the core, we might lose.
There are still a few. I just saw a post that was hoping more posters change their minds and we extend Marner. Of course then you also have the usual suspects who think Dubas is ahead of his time.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Changing the core was always about moving one of the wingers to get better balance and commit to defence/goalie.
How many teams run multiple double digit wingers in the build?
It’s always been Nylander or Marner.
It just happens that Nylander is now locked up.
That leaves the 1 year to UFA.
This team is in dire need of a 2C, 2 top 4 D and a goalie. That’s in addition to Domi signed or whatever.
Well that shopping list will never be achieved if Marner isn’t traded…….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad