Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just so everyone knows, since 2020, in 20 more playoff games played, Montour has scored 1 more point than the guy you are all trying to fire into the sun. Mo also has a +16 vs. Montour at 0. You are all so quick to shit on our best playoff performer of the last 3 seasons, because what, he only got 3A's in 7 vs Boston? Look at the rest of our lineup. Mo isn't the problem here guys, the fact that we have him playing with bums is the problem.

Not going protest this. Mo can look amazing with the right partner and
Go watch the O'Dog video and his reaction.

Read the comments sections.

-As a leafs fan I’m sick of all this greed ffs
-O-dog is 100% right. I will never view Marner in the same light again.
-Imagine having the balls to turn down $88 million dollars... yikes. So glas Eichel signed with Buffalo long term before all this RFA craziness.
-Make this punk sit the year see what his value is after not playing
-Time to trade him because obviously money means more than winning in your home town. That little extra kind of money will come later.
-I don't think I can support Mitch Marner as a leaf at this point. As a fan of the team, I want him traded.
-Coming from someone who is not a Leafs fan I was behind Marner and applauded him for holding his ground all this time. The fact he rejected those offers are insane. This kid is gonna destroy his reputation. Even if he does sign, I bet there will be some boos for him on Leafs opening night.
-How about just being a reasonable person? And saying 'I'm very happy to be playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs
-Leaf fans will never forget this Mitch
-Fully in agreement with Odog here. Enough is enough. Get this guy outta my face
-These kids have won nothing and they are already going to be over paid. How about winning at least a playoff round
-If he called me up on Oct 1st and says I will take the 7 years at 11. I would ask if he wants window or isle on the flight to Swiss? Bye bye
-I love mitch but if u cant take 11 over 7 ....trade him...get a high end d man...o dog is old time hockey ...players arent like that anymore unfortunately
-You dont show up for camp, your gone. Goodbye. Fack aff kid.
-Mitch Marner is NOT a team player. It’s evident in this fiasco. Part of the reason why the Penguins have a handful of Stanley Cups in recent years is because Crosby took a bit of a discount. You do what it takes to win. Some of these younger guys are divas, and Marner is one of them.
-16 million Canadian!! Are you nuts!!" hahaha
-ODogg is right. Ship Marner out, love the kid but can’t stand his dad and agent. Marner needs a new agent and tell his dad to piss off. 11M USD is a ton of coin.
-ROFLMAO 11 million US for Marner? Hahahahaha wow Dubas has lost his damn mind.
-Bye bye marner. Leafs nation has had enough of ya.
-Any thing over 10 is gross over payment this is ridiculousness
-The leafs have a good team without Marner , Now that I find out he turned down 11 for 8 years . We learned a lot about who he really is .
-Nice leak job by Dubie there. Our media friendly millennial GM
-The funniest thing would be to trade him and offer sheet Tkachuk 11x7
-Offering $11 million in June was a huge mistake for Leafs management, and that goes for Marner or any player on this team. Marner is a great player, but I have a feeling his father has buttered him up to the point of insanity from the time he first ever picked up a hockey stick.
-i like Marner but if he think 11M 7or 8 are not good ? let he go ! he is good but didn't win anything ye not said they had win the cup ! let he go !
-They Can't Even Trade Him No Team is Willing to PAY his Ridiculous Price
-It blows my mind that our hometown kid who grew up wanting to be a leaf his whole life gets drafted 4th overall by his hometown team and pulls this bs his goal should be to win that cup
-$11 million for a guy who's had ONE 90 point season playing with John Tavares? Yeah, you might want to rethink that.
-Leafs fked up by offering 11 mil in June but at the same time they held out with Nylander and look how well that went... His agent/dad want as much as he can get obviously, it's just messed up with the damn salary cap...
-O-Dogg you absolutely nailed it. I'd say 3 options Mitch, 11x7, 11x8, or Switzerland. And I'd add to that, if you don't sign before opening night, you're missing the entire season and you can sign for 10x7 in 2020/2021.This is getting ridiculous.
-No i will still be pissed if he gets 11 a year when legit allstars and Cup Champs are getting paid soooooo much less
-I'd hate to have a guy like Mitch Marner on my team. Putting personal greed over the benefit of the team. This seems like the type of guy that has a lack of dedication to the sport of hockey, lack of dedication to his teammates and lack of dedication to winning. Let him go make 12.5 in Arizona if that is his priority.

The dude is a POS. I didn't like him from the beginning and all he ever did was prove me right. The fact this team signed the 10.9m was a joke. He is actually a POS two faced piece of trash that should have been shipped out like ODog said.

He should be known as a hometown POS and called out for it on the streets for what he pulled. Nothing says you cant chirp someone like this in public.

Unreal people still defend him

Oh and Nylander better play his freaking tail off for that fing 11.5m too or he is the same boat.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They all share the blame.
We can’t get rid of everyone in one offseason so you start to change the core and hope it is easier to work with 2 double digit forwards.
Start with Marner.
Then next year Tavares 11 million is done.
That leaves 2 and the ability to put out a different breed of players, UFA and hopefully ones we’ve drafted around.
Then in 4 years, if we still can’t win a round, next guy out.
This is what team Marner don’t get, it’s not just Marner, he’s just the obvious guy to be traded right now. Personally I hold 34, 16, 88, 91, 44 all equally accountable for the teams failure. I give none of them a hall pass……..

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Rielly might be best defender on the team, but he needs a great deal of help.
He's good at many things, excellent in fewer.
His skating this year looked suspect, but let's give him the "recoverying from ankle injury" card and we can let him play the UBI injury card into the playoffs.

He needs a young Hainsey to play with. That isn't asking too much is it? Hainsey wasn't a great defenseman. You'd think your GM could land a "not great" defenseman to support your "not great" best defender.

We should all hope they can develop or acquire the complementary pieces required to stick the assets together.

Maybe between Treliving and Berube they can get Rielly his better half.

I see:
? - Matthews - marner as the first line.

I just don't know if Berube will continue to undermine the abilities of Tavares and Nylander.

Speed and quick strike versus heavy and pedestrian.

A partner for Rielly...can Tessa play hockey? :sarcasm:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This is what team Marner don’t get, it’s not just Marner, he’s just the obvious guy to be traded right now. Personally I hold 34, 16, 88, 91, 44 all equally accountable for the teams failure. I give none of them a hall pass……..
Changing the core was always about moving one of the wingers to get better balance and commit to defence/goalie.
How many teams run multiple double digit wingers in the build?
It’s always been Nylander or Marner.
It just happens that Nylander is now locked up.
That leaves the 1 year to UFA.
This team is in dire need of a 2C, 2 top 4 D and a goalie. That’s in addition to Domi signed or whatever.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Some people still do not get why Marner is the odd man out. The fact that he is the worst playoff performer of the 3, not a goal scorer, is afraid of contact and will be looking for $12.5m makes it a slam dunk.
I think the biggest factor is the NMC that will be attached throughout his next mega contract.

Believing he might turn things around next year, and that the core might work, isn't really good enough. Its potentially a nine year gamble.

The alternative path can offer flexibility throughout the timeline, even if replacements weren't sufficient the first year, or the year after.

The arguments against moving Marner have to overcome the downside of having ~37M locked up in three forwards for almost a decade that haven't worked for almost a decade. That's a tough nut to crack.

Reactions: myleafs and ToneDog

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
The single most player responsible for our playoff losses is Matthews.
His goal scoring falls off every playoff. He is supposed to be a top five player in the league and gets paid as the highest player in the league and shuts the bed in every game seven.
We can put 95 per cent of the blame game in marner but matthews is all about himself and can’t carry a team on his back like the other top players in the league.
Matthews always gets a pass with no criticism.
Read the Matthews thread. There's PLENTY of criticism.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
The only reason i dont blame Marner for taking that contract, is the Tavares contract.

But in a vacum if i was Mitch i would take 2mill less, but on the condition that they donate 2mill a year that goes to a charity i decide. (thats 2 mill that wont go against the cap)
1st reason : i would never spend that kind of money in my lifetime. That i earn on one year alone. I am not a spender.
2nd reason
The pressure is enough without being among the highest paid. And if i belive to be a better player without added pressure, i would aim for that.
3rd reason
It would be the best for the team in the long run and therfore best for me.

The i will take what i am worth no matter what, is a stupid mindset in teamsport. And in life. No matter what might be something that matters more then money, like having your name on the stanley.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The Leafs are the masters of illogical.
1. Ok, that didn’t work so let’s give the core a new coach.
2. That didn’t work so let’s give the core a new GM.
3. That didn’t work so let’s give the core new depth.
4. That didn’t work so let’s give the core more snot.
Return to step 1.
View attachment 876995
That quote "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." is both a misquote and a misattribution.

The original is "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Arthur Conan Doyle in a Sherlock Holmes story.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I watched the game last night, I saw some guy take Tkachuk’s mouth piece, the p***y tkachuk did t even try to get it back. lol! I could just imagine the uproar if Marner got his mouthguard taken away and did nothing about it. People see what they want, hear what they want. I’m sure there are 31 other teams that would appreciate having Marner on their team.
And he wasn’t the least bit intimidated, in fact he laughed it off and turned it around. On the other hand, Marner is easily intimidated. We heard what Marchand said in the regular season and I think it affected him in the playoffs.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The single most player responsible for our playoff losses is Matthews.
His goal scoring falls off every playoff. He is supposed to be a top five player in the league and gets paid as the highest player in the league and shuts the bed in every game seven.
We can put 95 per cent of the blame game in marner but matthews is all about himself and can’t carry a team on his back like the other top players in the league.
Matthews always gets a pass with no criticism.
He deserves more of the blame than Marner does.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
That quote "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." is both a misquote and a misattribution.

The original is "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Arthur Conan Doyle in a Sherlock Holmes story.

Sign of the Four. Love me some Sherlock, unexpected on a hockey board.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
yeah I guess they are free to? I'm just saying that it's plain that many people, Toronto people, hate the guy, and not just how he plays or the playoff results, but how he talks and acts and dresses and dances, how he reacts to being in a penalty box or frustrations on the ice, the lasso celebration, the edgework ice dance looking warmups, the absence of facial hair. I think it's on a different level to any other Leafs player I've ever known though obviously the internet of today has a way of nurturing these sorts of acrimonies.
He was also loved by many before he ever played a game for us but And I think how he plays in the playoffs is actually a big part of it, that combined with behaving like a petulant child made people turn on him which isn't surprising. I remember saying a long time ago that if you behave in an unlikeable fashion, people aren't going like you, it's that simple. And I also said before that he's maybe the most polarizing player in Maple Leaf history, that's just the way it is. But people also love a winner, he could behave like the most petulant, whiny player in history but if he helped us win in the playoffs, that would reduce the "hate" by 90%.
I find it ironic that those who think it’s a sin to “hate” on Mitchie, are the same posters who freely hate on Babcock at every opportunity. Principles are a rare commodity in this forum that’s for damn sure……..
And some players are "loved". Isn't "loving" a player just as irrational as "hating" one?

We're all human beings, we all have emotions so none of this is surprising. I don't know these guys but still, it's probablyh fair to say that I like some of them more than others. For example, if I had had the chance to have a beer with Borje Salming, I would have jumped at the opportunity and considered it an honor. Same goes for Gilmour, and many others. Sittler, Tiger Williams, Wendel Clark, Bruce Boudreau, I could go on and on. Even today's players, I think it would be fun to have a beer with Nylander, I could name a few others but I think he'd be at the top of my list. Now Marner on the other hand, if I had the chance to have a beer with him I might just pass, not because I don't like the guy, but he just seems boring.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Given the fact that the Leafs wrapped up their pro and amateur staff meetings last week, I would say it's extremely unlikely that any conversations about Marner's future have been had with the player so far - particularly ones that require him to provide potential teams in a trade.

I call BS on this.
Sure ok.

Agents and players don't need scheduled meetings with team to talk, meet, do some publicity thing, do some charity thing, etc etc etc. But sure, call BS dude.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.

- Quote by some old and dead British dude.

All opinions on Marner are welcome! It’s a good discussion. We all want the same outcome at the end of the day (Leafs winning the cup).
Well said. Differing opinions are what makes discussion interesting, what's important for me is that people are tolerant of other opinions and I could do without all the ridiculous condescension, arrogance and bullying that I see here. I guess that's the internet for you, I imagine a lot of the people that come across like assholes here are more reasonable when they aren't hiding behind anonymity.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The only reason i dont blame Marner for taking that contract, is the Tavares contract.

But in a vacum if i was Mitch i would take 2mill less, but on the condition that they donate 2mill a year that goes to a charity i decide. (thats 2 mill that wont go against the cap)
1st reason : i would never spend that kind of money in my lifetime. That i earn on one year alone. I am not a spender.
2nd reason
The pressure is enough without being among the highest paid. And if i belive to be a better player without added pressure, i would aim for that.
3rd reason
It would be the best for the team in the long run and therfore best for me.

The i will take what i am worth no matter what, is a stupid mindset in teamsport. And in life. No matter what might be something that matters more then money, like having your name on the stanley.

Too had this isn’t how real life works, no player, especially a star player is going to accept a 2 million pay cut, no matter how much they love a city.

Their agents wouldn’t allow it, the NHLPA would be up their ass and probably their families.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Too had this isn’t how real life works, no player, especially a star player is going to accept a 2 million pay cut, no matter how much they love a city.

Their agents wouldn’t allow it, the NHLPA would be up their ass and probably their families.

If they love the city enough, there's nothing to stop them. They can fire their agent. They can tell the PA to shove it. They just don't love the city that much.....

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If they love the city enough, there's nothing to stop them. They can fire their agent. They can tell the PA to shove it. They just don't love the city that much.....

Lol can’t wait to see how much Draisaitl and McDavid leave on the table. It doesn’t really happen and yeah okay, let’s tell the players association that’s fighting for my best interest to shove it. Gtfo of here with that non-sense.

The one person in control of the situation was Dubas and he decided to hand out the contract. That’s not on the player. And no player is going to say, “you know what, the fans are gonna kill me, go back Darren and knock off a few million per year will ya”. That sounds STUPID AS f*** lol.

Oh btw how’s it going with the Ottawa boys who left money on the table? Tkachuk and Stutzle had a shit ton to say about that, but they haven’t ever sniffed the playoffs.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024

Despite what athletes try to PR to the world they love the city and fans, 99% are in it for the money. Putting a poker face in PR statements and Twitter is a top notch thing to do for athletes and celebs.

If they really cared that much for helping a team win for personal satisfaction and fanbase they'd stick around for a reasonable pay.

But as long as some other team is willing to offer an extra million, almost all bolt. Even if it means playing for a crap team.

But in reality it's no different than every day people. Get offered a job that pays $10,000 more and a lot of people will bolt.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Also how delusional do you have to be to convince yourself into thinking Marner doesn’t love Toronto or being a Maple Leaf. It’s quite obvious he loves being here, that can’t even be denied at this point. Whether him being here long term is good for him is another topic that can be debated though.

Side note* Additionally he and JT are the only guys who live here year round. Even despite the scrutiny he doesn’t run off to some warm American City in the off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad