Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I didn't say it's a coincidence, I'm just saying I don't understand you blaming it on being "predictable". If the PP is bad because it's predictable, why is it so good earlier in the season?

There has been lots of whining about Marner being a victim, about kids on the street commenting to him for greedy etc. and that has nothing to do with "his story".

Do I think he’s a victim absolutely not. Marner knows this is what comes with being a leaf. Hell it’s what comes with being a pro athlete.

Do I think people really dislike the guy on a personal level? Yes and I find it freaking weird LOL. And the end of the day we are all humans no one’s perfect. I do think Marner the PERSON gets way too much heat for the contract. The team should bear about 95% of the blame for that, they handed it to him. Anyone saying they would say no to 10.9 sheets a year with a signing bonus that gives you 9 million on July first is honestly a bold face liar. And as I mentioned before I doubt Marner had any thing to do with the negotiation except just sign when the deal was done.

That being said Marner should take heat for his play, it hasn’t been good enough in the playoffs and ultimately that’s where we are waiting for him to elevate so I don’t mind him taking heat from that perspective

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I would say when someone tries playing the "hardship" card with regards to putting kids in sport they are really being clueless about what hardship is.
I'm sure this was taken out of context. In the big picture none of this really matters yet people are losing their minds here daily.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I would say when someone tries playing the "hardship" card with regards to putting kids in sport they are really being clueless about what hardship is.

Lol you’re speaking from a lot of privilege. There are many reasons why even struggling parents try to keep their kids in sports even if they can’t afford it. From trying to keep them safe to trying to create a sense of peace for their kids amongst chaos. Now that I’ve retired and I’m coaching, you’d be surprised about how many talented athletes come from STRUGGLING households. And their parents have various reasons to have them in sports. For you try and sit there and act like hardship is linear or there is one set definition of hardship is wrong.

Having your kids in sports doesn’t equate to not know what hardship is or symbolizing not dealing with hardship or facing really tough times and it’s ignorant to assume that really.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm sure this was taken out of context. In the big picture none of this really matters yet people are losing their minds here daily.

Yeah, fundraising and bottle drives and ... is all normal funding for sports, even at the lowest tier.

If one wants to pretend that is hardship ... you probably don't want to hire that for a small company. You can bury entitlement in a corporation, not in a small company.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
As bad as Marner supposedly is he still put up more points in the playoffs than anybody else on this team

1717012034739.png

Reactions: BraveCanadian

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

It most definitely was, I also don’t see a problem with posters who knew Marner from young mentioning the family needed help and assistance to help make hockey affordable, is that the beauty of community and organizations? To help those in need so that sports are more accessible to everyone?

Reactions: leafs in five

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Lol you’re speaking from a lot of privilege. There are many reasons why even struggling parents try to keep their kids in sports even if they can’t afford it. From trying to keep them safe to trying to create a sense of peace for their kids amongst chaos. Now that I’ve retired and I’m coaching, you’d be surprised about how many talented athletes come from STRUGGLING households. And their parents have various reasons to have them in sports. For you try and sit there and act like

I think more than anything you prove my point about knowing hardship.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think more than anything you prove my point about knowing hardship.

LOL I’ve come from nothing so don’t try and patronize me. Single parent immigrant, who made less than $40,000, lived in Toronto community housing, sharing a room with two brothers up until 18. Mom still ended up putting me through sports to keep me out of the streets and gangs and I ended up working hard, getting a div 1 scholarship than playing pro for a few years in Europe. Didn’t have shit growing up. So I know about hardship. Try again, I ain’t the one. I know what I’m talking about when it comes to this cause I literally lived it

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Do I think he’s a victim absolutely not. Marner knows this is what comes with being a leaf. Hell it’s what comes with being a pro athlete.

Do I think people really dislike the guy on a personal level? Yes and I find it freaking weird LOL. And the end of the day we are all humans no one’s perfect. I do think Marner the PERSON gets way too much heat for the contract. The team should bear about 95% of the blame for that, they handed it to him. Anyone saying they would say no to 10.9 sheets a year with a signing bonus that gives you 9 million on July first is honestly a bold face liar. And as I mentioned before I doubt Marner had any thing to do with the negotiation except just sign when the deal was done.

That being said Marner should take heat for his play, it hasn’t been good enough in the playoffs and ultimately that’s where we are waiting for him to elevate so I don’t mind him taking heat from that perspective
Of course nobody turns down that money. The issue is he dug in tooth and nail to get 10.9m. He could easily have accepted a lower/earlier offer but he only accepted 10.9x6 when Leafs leaked what he was turning down and the fanbase went nuts. Sorry I, like many Leafs fans turned off by his negotiations, have no sympathy for him. As Bieksa said, take a little less and buy some goodwill from the fans.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Can't believe some want to pay $12.5m to keep the 3 amighosts together for another half decade. But then again some cling to the fact that it took Yzerman 13 years to win a cup. SMH.

I get the sense there's some among the fan base who would keep the core together until they all retire.

Not sure if it's fear of change, some sort of undying loyalty to the core, or maybe they're just content with some modest regular season success.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Not sure if anyone dislikes him on a personal level but with the millions of fans this team has, I guess it's not surprising if some do. Agree there's no reason for that, and as far as the contract goes, I'd blame the team for 100% of that, not just 95%.

Agree with the rest too, although I'm no longer waiting for him to "elevate", time's up as far as I'm concerned, time was actually up years ago and now I'm just waiting for a version of the team without Marner and I hope to hell that I won't have to wait another 9 years or whatever to see it.

Of course nobody turns down that money. The issue is he dug in tooth and nail to get 10.9m. He could easily have accepted a lower/earlier offer but he only accepted 10.9x6 when Leafs leaked what he was turning down and the fanbase went nuts. Sorry I, like many Leafs fans turned off by his negotiations, have no sympathy for him. As Bieksa said, take a little less and buy some goodwill from the fans.
Goodwill's nice, as long as you don't have to sacrifice any of your tens of millions for it, then it's just not worth it. ;)

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Can I ask you a serious question. Do you honestly think Marner is sitting in his house back in 2019 and saying to his agent, I will not accept a cent below 10.9? I can promise you that did not happen. They probably discussed a few cap percentages and then the agent negotiated with the team and brought the offer back. It also seems like Ferris is a pain in the ass to deal with. I’m sure Marner’s instructions were to get as close to Matthews as possible but get a deal done. Agent takes care of the rest. It’s on the team to shut that down, Marner had zero leverage in the situation.

Reactions: ACC1224

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It's crazy watching teams like Dallas, Carolina, Florida just blast the puck at the point and get goals. It always bothered me having Marner on the point on the PP. He can't or doesn't crank it. He plays this passive style where he will either try to force a pass to his man or release an absolute blueberry muffin. I would love to see him on PP unit 2 next playoffs or just off it entirely. Point shots with traffic is something we don't do very well.

I feel like other teams expect him to look for the cross crease pass to AM or someone else, so they give MM more space on the point. He should be cranking them on goal.

I absolutely hate it when they have Rielly and Marner on the point. Teams can just assume pass and they are correct 99.9% of the time.

The Leafs badly need someone who can and will shoot on the point for the PP.

Reactions: ACC1224

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I absolutely hate it when they have Rielly and Marner on the point. Teams can just assume pass and they are correct 99.9% of the time.

Zadorov / Montour Loading

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Well we have a new coach, perhaps he utilizes what we have in a better way.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Marner plays the biggest wimp hockey on the team. You move on from him and then if it's still nearly as bad, you go into full rebuild. But Marner is really going to be addition by subtraction IMO. I definitely want to see the team without Marner, and maybe some real hockey player with his cap space before I'd want to go into full rebuild. Tossing out Marner will greatly change the first line and the PP as he dictates the style of both of those. Without him the style changes for sure. A lot less of that Gretzky like stuff.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Can I ask you a serious question. Do you honestly think Marner is sitting in his house back in 2019 and saying to his agent, I will not accept a cent below 10.9? I can promise you that did not happen. They probably discussed a few cap percentages and then the agent negotiated with the team and brought the offer back. It also seems like Ferris is a pain in the ass to deal with. I’m sure Marner’s instructions were to get as close to Matthews as possible but get a deal done. Agent takes care of the rest. It’s on the team to shut that down, Marner had zero leverage in the situation.
Go watch the O'Dog video and his reaction.

Read the comments sections.

-As a leafs fan I’m sick of all this greed ffs
-O-dog is 100% right. I will never view Marner in the same light again.
-Imagine having the balls to turn down $88 million dollars... yikes. So glas Eichel signed with Buffalo long term before all this RFA craziness.
-Make this punk sit the year see what his value is after not playing
-Time to trade him because obviously money means more than winning in your home town. That little extra kind of money will come later.
-I don't think I can support Mitch Marner as a leaf at this point. As a fan of the team, I want him traded.
-Coming from someone who is not a Leafs fan I was behind Marner and applauded him for holding his ground all this time. The fact he rejected those offers are insane. This kid is gonna destroy his reputation. Even if he does sign, I bet there will be some boos for him on Leafs opening night.
-How about just being a reasonable person? And saying 'I'm very happy to be playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs
-Leaf fans will never forget this Mitch
-Fully in agreement with Odog here. Enough is enough. Get this guy outta my face
-These kids have won nothing and they are already going to be over paid. How about winning at least a playoff round
-If he called me up on Oct 1st and says I will take the 7 years at 11. I would ask if he wants window or isle on the flight to Swiss? Bye bye
-I love mitch but if u cant take 11 over 7 ....trade him...get a high end d man...o dog is old time hockey ...players arent like that anymore unfortunately
-You dont show up for camp, your gone. Goodbye. Fack aff kid.
-Mitch Marner is NOT a team player. It’s evident in this fiasco. Part of the reason why the Penguins have a handful of Stanley Cups in recent years is because Crosby took a bit of a discount. You do what it takes to win. Some of these younger guys are divas, and Marner is one of them.
-16 million Canadian!! Are you nuts!!" hahaha
-ODogg is right. Ship Marner out, love the kid but can’t stand his dad and agent. Marner needs a new agent and tell his dad to piss off. 11M USD is a ton of coin.
-ROFLMAO 11 million US for Marner? Hahahahaha wow Dubas has lost his damn mind.
-Bye bye marner. Leafs nation has had enough of ya.
-Any thing over 10 is gross over payment this is ridiculousness
-The leafs have a good team without Marner , Now that I find out he turned down 11 for 8 years . We learned a lot about who he really is .
-Nice leak job by Dubie there. Our media friendly millennial GM
-The funniest thing would be to trade him and offer sheet Tkachuk 11x7
-Offering $11 million in June was a huge mistake for Leafs management, and that goes for Marner or any player on this team. Marner is a great player, but I have a feeling his father has buttered him up to the point of insanity from the time he first ever picked up a hockey stick.
-i like Marner but if he think 11M 7or 8 are not good ? let he go ! he is good but didn't win anything ye not said they had win the cup ! let he go !
-They Can't Even Trade Him No Team is Willing to PAY his Ridiculous Price
-It blows my mind that our hometown kid who grew up wanting to be a leaf his whole life gets drafted 4th overall by his hometown team and pulls this bs his goal should be to win that cup
-$11 million for a guy who's had ONE 90 point season playing with John Tavares? Yeah, you might want to rethink that.
-Leafs fked up by offering 11 mil in June but at the same time they held out with Nylander and look how well that went... His agent/dad want as much as he can get obviously, it's just messed up with the damn salary cap...
-O-Dogg you absolutely nailed it. I'd say 3 options Mitch, 11x7, 11x8, or Switzerland. And I'd add to that, if you don't sign before opening night, you're missing the entire season and you can sign for 10x7 in 2020/2021.This is getting ridiculous.
-No i will still be pissed if he gets 11 a year when legit allstars and Cup Champs are getting paid soooooo much less
-I'd hate to have a guy like Mitch Marner on my team. Putting personal greed over the benefit of the team. This seems like the type of guy that has a lack of dedication to the sport of hockey, lack of dedication to his teammates and lack of dedication to winning. Let him go make 12.5 in Arizona if that is his priority.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
LOL I’ve come from nothing so don’t try and patronize me. Single parent immigrant, who made less than $40,000, lived in Toronto community housing, sharing a room with two brothers up until 18. Mom still ended up putting me through sports to keep me out of the streets and gangs and I ended up working hard, getting a div 1 scholarship than playing pro for a few years in Europe. Didn’t have shit growing up. So I know about hardship. Try again, I ain’t the one. I know what I’m talking about when it comes to this cause I literally lived it

You see that's what I mean ... $40k.

My first minimum wage job was $1.65 an hour.
Don't fret it was a different era.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Unless I miss the mark, @ULF_55 is more driving at a none of us have ever lived in a tent city in the Gaza Strip kinda thing here.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Go watch the O'Dog video and his reaction.

Read the comments sections.

-As a leafs fan I’m sick of all this greed ffs
-O-dog is 100% right. I will never view Marner in the same light again.
-Imagine having the balls to turn down $88 million dollars... yikes. So glas Eichel signed with Buffalo long term before all this RFA craziness.
-Make this punk sit the year see what his value is after not playing
-Time to trade him because obviously money means more than winning in your home town. That little extra kind of money will come later.
-I don't think I can support Mitch Marner as a leaf at this point. As a fan of the team, I want him traded.
-Coming from someone who is not a Leafs fan I was behind Marner and applauded him for holding his ground all this time. The fact he rejected those offers are insane. This kid is gonna destroy his reputation. Even if he does sign, I bet there will be some boos for him on Leafs opening night.
-How about just being a reasonable person? And saying 'I'm very happy to be playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs
-Leaf fans will never forget this Mitch
-Fully in agreement with Odog here. Enough is enough. Get this guy outta my face
-These kids have won nothing and they are already going to be over paid. How about winning at least a playoff round
-If he called me up on Oct 1st and says I will take the 7 years at 11. I would ask if he wants window or isle on the flight to Swiss? Bye bye
-I love mitch but if u cant take 11 over 7 ....trade him...get a high end d man...o dog is old time hockey ...players arent like that anymore unfortunately
-You dont show up for camp, your gone. Goodbye. Fack aff kid.
-Mitch Marner is NOT a team player. It’s evident in this fiasco. Part of the reason why the Penguins have a handful of Stanley Cups in recent years is because Crosby took a bit of a discount. You do what it takes to win. Some of these younger guys are divas, and Marner is one of them.
-16 million Canadian!! Are you nuts!!" hahaha
-ODogg is right. Ship Marner out, love the kid but can’t stand his dad and agent. Marner needs a new agent and tell his dad to piss off. 11M USD is a ton of coin.
-ROFLMAO 11 million US for Marner? Hahahahaha wow Dubas has lost his damn mind.
-Bye bye marner. Leafs nation has had enough of ya.
-Any thing over 10 is gross over payment this is ridiculousness
-The leafs have a good team without Marner , Now that I find out he turned down 11 for 8 years . We learned a lot about who he really is .
-Nice leak job by Dubie there. Our media friendly millennial GM
-The funniest thing would be to trade him and offer sheet Tkachuk 11x7
-Offering $11 million in June was a huge mistake for Leafs management, and that goes for Marner or any player on this team. Marner is a great player, but I have a feeling his father has buttered him up to the point of insanity from the time he first ever picked up a hockey stick.
-i like Marner but if he think 11M 7or 8 are not good ? let he go ! he is good but didn't win anything ye not said they had win the cup ! let he go !
-They Can't Even Trade Him No Team is Willing to PAY his Ridiculous Price
-It blows my mind that our hometown kid who grew up wanting to be a leaf his whole life gets drafted 4th overall by his hometown team and pulls this bs his goal should be to win that cup
-$11 million for a guy who's had ONE 90 point season playing with John Tavares? Yeah, you might want to rethink that.
-Leafs fked up by offering 11 mil in June but at the same time they held out with Nylander and look how well that went... His agent/dad want as much as he can get obviously, it's just messed up with the damn salary cap...
-O-Dogg you absolutely nailed it. I'd say 3 options Mitch, 11x7, 11x8, or Switzerland. And I'd add to that, if you don't sign before opening night, you're missing the entire season and you can sign for 10x7 in 2020/2021.This is getting ridiculous.
-No i will still be pissed if he gets 11 a year when legit allstars and Cup Champs are getting paid soooooo much less
-I'd hate to have a guy like Mitch Marner on my team. Putting personal greed over the benefit of the team. This seems like the type of guy that has a lack of dedication to the sport of hockey, lack of dedication to his teammates and lack of dedication to winning. Let him go make 12.5 in Arizona if that is his priority.

Great post…….

Reactions: ToneDog

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
You know what's "immature" and "emotional" of the members of the Marner Fan Club?. The absolute refusal to see and denial of the obvious evidence of the playoff failures of the Core Fore, especially Marner.

It's like the Boot Camp Drill Sergeant screaming in your face obvious.
Who isn't acknowledging it? Don't have to act like a 13 year old bud, quit projecting.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I’ve said this time and time, WE as in the fans, don’t care for your story. What you’ve done in your life is irrelevant in a sports context. It’s not equatable for many reasons. Good for you for making an honest living but it honestly means f*** all in this context. Sorry to be crude. Just because you made a lot of sacrifices and have gone through shit doesn’t mean athletes have to take less and it also doesn’t mean that the things they’ve experience prior to becoming rich is invalidated. 99% of todays athletes are about maximizing their own brands and making as much money as possible. Winning on top of that is a nice bonus. It sucks but that’s the era of athlete we live in now. Most of it is agent driven anyways. The players of course agree to the deals but the agents are doing the talking and making sure their clients are getting as much money as possible. Yeah Mitch deserves the vitriol but you guys act like he was in the discussions there with Dubas. It was Ferris and Dubas negotiating. All Mitch did was say yes and sign when everything was done. What do you expect him to do? Tell Ferris to rip up the contract and tell them to give me less money, like come on LOL

EDIT* (also before you try and tell me this is bullshit, I’m a former pro athlete myself who is now retired.) I can tell you first hand when I played my agent basically took care of everything contract related, I gave some parameters for certain things, like favourable places to play, looked at the offers, but really I left it up to my agent to get me the best deal in the country/league I preferred. (I played a different sport in Europe after college). Some athletes are more hands on than others tho

No one is asking you to sympathize with Mitch if you don’t want to. But comparing your life to the one of an athlete then expecting them to take less because your life was harder or you feel like you’ve worked harder is hilarious. It’s not even the same conversation.
Zzzzzz........

EDIT AND PS: Whooooooooooooooooooooosh. Way to entirely miss the point, Franky.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad